• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling a Thaw in Relations! (656)

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Is the Type Wild song an official dubbed song or just a good fandub?

catzeye

Writer's Block
Even though I saw this episode once it came out in Japan, seeing the English Dub actually made me shed tears...

One of the best battles I've ever seen on Pokemon. I loved this episode so much. I liked how Paul was showing encouragement and giving thanks to his Pokemon. When his Pokemon at Reggie's house cheered I found that sweet. It showed us that Paul's Pokemon do like him (they were compatible with his training style)

Gliscor, Infernape, and Pikachu all did a spectacular job. Props go to Infernape for letting his former trainer know that he is strong. Props to Ash for finally beating his rival.

This episode is a 10/10 for me. This 3-part battle is one of my favorite battles of all time.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Now I can call this episode a true and amazing conclusion to a epic 3-part battle. Omg this battle overall was pure amazing and the finale today was the best!!

I'm happy that Gliscor got a win, against the Drapion what wiped out half of Ash's team, and who was especially in a rough condition when trying to defeat it. It was ashame to see Gliscor got hit badly at the beginning from Pin Missle against X-Scissor. But to see Fire Fang back in use, and pratically put Drapion in huge flames, that was a most outrageous sight to see. O_O

Then, Gliscor went against Electivire, aka the final Pokemon on Paul's team. I did think of the fact before that Gliscor was part Ground so Electric moves won't have effect. But looking at all that's happened from this battle, Paul had a move in mind. I was stunned to forget about that, once Paul's Electivire used Thunder on the ground, to cause chunks of rocks to fall on Glisocr. Now that was super effective. xD Looks like Paul got payback, when Ash's Infernape used Flair Blitz to heat up the stage to subside the Toxic Spikes affect. I'm glad that Gliscor tried all it could do after wards, but it's a shame that it loses after Electivire catches it with his tails and uses Brick Break. That was a strong move though, Paul knows what he's doing.

Then came Pikachu to play. Both Electivire and Pikachu felt pretty even to say. Because they could only used Brick Break, Iron Tail and Quick Attack. They've been a good match as well, for trying to use those only moves to play. I liked the part where Pikachu used Quick Attack to face Electivire, when it used Thunder again to make the rocks fly and crash back onto the ground.

Then again, I was curious when Ash had Pikachu use Volt Tackle, considering the fact Electivire's ability is Motor Drive. Once it came to use ThunderPunch and Pikachu used Iron Tail to intercept, looked like at first Ash had the upper hand. Not until Paul had a idea in mind, as this was like their first battle. I totally forgot about that part, where Pikachu uses Iron Tail to end the battle, though Paul wasn't gonna let him try this again. We all totally forgot that Electivire has ANOTHER hand to use a move! Brick Break to the face, daaaang. Pikachu got real damage there. Pikachu is out of here. Electivire is really strong, yet it creeps me out in a way.

But now, it was time for the battle we've been waiting for... Electivire VS Infernape! Seeing how Infernape has taken damage from most of the battles its been in, and with Toxic Spikes Poison in effect, one may wonder (at least if they havent seen the conclusion before). At first, they make a good match to start up the final part of the battle, while firing back with ThunderPunch/Mach Punch/Flamethrower. Both are quite fast, and really powerful. Then it came a critical moment, where one of Electivire's tails grabs Infernape and shocked it to the max. Owwwch. With Infernape fell to the ground and is losing fire on it's head, and with Paul saying how pathetic it is (owch again), there's no way this battle is over yet!

My eyeballs grew once Infernape got up and activated blaze to the HIGHEST possible peak EVER. The music added a lot to it too (I believe it was The Ultimate Challenge again, but it sounded like an instrumental version; didn't hear any singing). A tower of fire launched right up in the air and over the stadium. O_O Woah, huuge power! Now they came with all their might; with Thunder/ThunderPunch from Electivire, and Infernape's boosted Flamethrower, Mach Punch and Flair Blitz, they came a enormous explosion for the end. Wondering who goes down, after Electivire still stands from a Flair Blitz reaction, the screen just zoomed out further. And my blood felt dead silence, wondering who will win this. But then... ELECTIVIRE IS DOWWWWN! Ash wins!

The finale was such a heated battle, and overall a wonderful Full Battle that I enjoyed to watch. It was great to see Paul say how well Electivire battled and took the loss well. Especially looking nice upon Infernape's performance.

And now... it's time for the Semi-Finals. Ash VS Tobias, oh boy. The Darkrai Guy is up next, and this League is not over yet.

It was also nice to see some of Paul's older Pokemon, especially Torterra, Honchkrow and Weavile since we haven't seen much of them for awhile. And I bet both Reggie and Cynthia enjoyed watching Ash and Paul's battle very well. I know a lot of us might have as well.

At the end, it was wonderful to see a final word from both Ash and Paul, before they both go their separate ways. Ash has his Semi-Final Battle, and Paul is off to Snowpoint City to have a rematch with Brandon! OH SNAP, we better see it. And until all later in the future, Ash and Paul's Rivalry Story of DP is over, but it'll be something great to look back upon.

My excitiment from today will take awhile to burn out. Plus, I can hardly wait for Ash to challenge Tobias now, and of course the question comes to mind if Ash can even defeat that trainer's Darkrai. All next week, and I cant wait!

matt0044

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
what can i say.. no music at all instead we get a stupid instrumental music from ultimate ****ING challange i cannot belive it i guess tcpi are either 2 lazy 2 do songs anymore or i am gonna pull a page out of pauls book saying there pathetic

matt0044

what can i say.. no music at all instead we get a stupid instrumental music from ultimate ****ING challange i cannot belive it i guess tcpi are either 2 lazy 2 do songs anymore or i am gonna pull a page out of pauls book saying there pathetic

Eh, it's good enough for me. Made the scene just epic enough.

So, in the end the scores on each side were:
Paul:
Aggron: 0
Gastrodon: 0
Drapion: 3 (Staraptor, Buizel and Torterra)
Ninjask: 0
Froslass: 0
Electivire: 2 (Pikachu and Gliscor)

Ash:
Pikachu: 1 (Froslass)
Infernape: 3 (Aggron, Ninjask and Electivire)
Buizel: 1 (Gastrodon)
Staraptor: 0
Torterra: 0
Gliscor: 1 (Drapion)

Funny isn't it? Paul released Chimchar calling it weak, and it took out half his team in the league battle, the only Pokemon on Ash's team to beat more than one.

This battle was almost perfect. They used everything except the trick where the Pokemon powers up by swallowing their own attacks. Grotle swallowed an Energy Ball and almost gained enough power to take out Palmer's tank of a Rhyperior; if he had used that trick now that he's a Torterra he would've crushed Drapion like a bug (ironic because Drapion evolves from a Bug-type). Also, I would have liked to see what would happen if Buizel were to do that with Water Pulse; aside from Torterra Buizel is the only member of Ash's team in this battle that knows a move where he could have used that strategy anyway.

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
He did it.... he finally did it. Ash has finally defeated Paul! I was worried for the moment until I almost forgot that Infernape has Blaze, which I predicted will be the finale of the battle. It's not over yet though, as Ash has to go face to face with a cool yet cheap uber named Darkrai. I'm already voting Darkrai as the winner sadly.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
The episode is still incredible, even now. Possibly the greatest battle in series history. Really, the only thing new I have to say is that when Paul put his hand up at the end as he was leaving, I honestly thought he was going to flip off Ash...

TheNewGuy

OK, it didn't use English type wild, but it was just about acceptable. Didn't ruin the scene, Ultimate Challenge worked well. I'm satisfied.

I always said I'd wait until the dub before cementing this battle as the absolute best of all time. The dub was worse than the Japanese version, natch, but it was still in a different class to the dubbed versions of Ash/Gary or Ash/Drake.

Best. Battle. Ever. And it's not close.

matt0044

OK, it didn't use English type wild, but it was just about acceptable. Didn't ruin the scene, Ultimate Challenge worked well. I'm satisfied.

I always said I'd wait until the dub before cementing this battle as the absolute best of all time. The dub was worse than the Japanese version, natch, but it was still in a different class to the dubbed versions of Ash/Gary or Ash/Drake.

Best. Battle. Ever. And it's not close.

My thoughts exact. The dub wasn't as good as the Japanese version but for all that it's worth, it's acceptable at the very least. The Ultimate Challenge worked well for that scene and it made it up to me.

Speaking of The Ultimate Challenge, will they ever release it official in the future?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I'm sure glad my left ear was clogged... I heard the talking scenes during the match but I didn't hear the background music but was disappointed that the Dub version of Type Wild wasn't used, nor was the BGM kept during Infernape VS Electivire kept... that music was good. Well all I watched the episode was mainly the stuff after the match and even there that BGM wasn't kept..:( Let's see how they butcher the next one.;)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Sheesh I don't get all the complaining about music.

This episode was amazing. Seeing Paul smile without having harsh intentions was odd and new.

I like how he complimented Pikachu and Infernape though.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was great. I don't got much to say about this episode. The battle was extremely intense and I am kinda glad that Ash finally managed to defeat Paul. I was also surprised that Paul was nice for a change at the end.

AmericanPi

Write on
Wait... what did Paul say? Did he really say "Good job" to Electivire? Wow, that was un-Paul-like... but it's nice to see that Paul has learned at least a little how to care for his Pokemon. :)

Epic, epic battle. It was just awesome, especially Infernape VS Electivire. Great Job Ash; you finally, finally beat Paul. But good luck against Tobias... you'll need it...

pokefandt

The dub honestly made the battle very dull for me. The voice actors don't seem to have a lot of passion to them. The final battle between infernape and Electivire was killed by that poor choice of music.

wind21

I have to agree on the lack of energy in the dubbed episode. I've stayed away from the dub for awhile, but tuned in last week and this week; and I was surprised/saddened by how off everything seemed compared to earlier episodes. Maybe how Sinnoh is going to end is taking a spiritual toll; I just hope they come through for one particular episode coming up.

But I definitely loved Ash saying, "Not quite," or something similar in a wisecrack fashion, just before Infernape activated Blaze. It showed how confident Ash was that Paul would react the way he did, and also that Ash knew Infernape wanted more than anything to prove its worth. Ash left the choice to Infernape, whether to change Paul's perception of it, and Infernape really came through for Ash.

Last edited:

Champion Jared 14

I think there was a problem with a dubbed line...If you noticed in the battle between Pikachu and Electivire, Pikachu managed to strike Electivire with a Quick Attack, but after Electivire got Pikachu tangled up in its wires, Paul said that Pikachu was at its limits and took a lot of damage, and Electivire hasn't....That's not true, Electivire took damage when Pikachu struck it with quick attack.