• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling Authority Once Again! (752)

Its not even about Dawn beating two female protagonists, I don't even think about that, its about Dawn getting a decent win in the tournament. We know Dragonite will lose the next match so what's the point of showing it invincible to ice attacks when its going to lose to a Rock attack in the next match?

You answered your own question, because they want to show Dragonite as invincible and they want to showcase it more beyond just one win. This was a big capture for Iris and the writers intended to show it off in this tournament. By asking Mamoswine to win, you're asking for this tournament to be more about Dawn, which is something the writers decided not to do.

Your bias knows no bounds. We've only seen Dragonite for 3 episodes and can't assume anything about it's experience as it was never shown onscreen. Mamoswine on the other hand was shown multiple times and was raised from a Swinub, which we all saw. Going by that matter alone, Mamoswine is reasonably the stronger of the two, but because the writers love to make Pokemon seem far more deadly then they are, Dragonite was a shoe'in to win this because of them(the writers) alone. If one were to write a reasonable story, almost everyone would likely make Mamoswine win in the end

Your logic makes no sense. Being raised from a Swinub doesn't give Mamoswine an edge over anyone. Strength is strength and we know this Dragonite has a lot of power because it was seen battling with Hydreigon and it was revealed that this Dragonite is a competitive pokemon that looks for strong opponents all the time. Just because a pokemon's experience is not shown on-screen, doesn't mean they are weaker than the ones who are. With that logic, Ash's pokemon should be stronger than everyone else's because we see his all the time. This isn't true because if it was, then Ash should've easily been able to beat Tobias's Darkrai and Latios and every other trainer for that matter. POWER IS POWER and the fact is Mamoswine is not strong as Dragonite. While Mamoswine was competing in contests, Dragonite was looking and fighting the toughest opponents and just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. That's more of your own personal complaint of why the writers chose to make Dragonite strong in the first place, which is a redundant question because the writers can do whatever they please. They can make a Caterpie the strongest pokemon in the world if they want.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Not too bad.

I just hope that Dragonite doesn't lose his edge despite the loss next episode. He's quickly becoming my favorite Pokemon of the Unova cast. I suspect that it's because he's in the minority that actually has a personality. He clearly loathes humanity which is refreshing.

Kind of dissapointed that Burgundy is nothing but a joke now. It's rare that a character amounts to absolutely nothing. I mean, look at Stunfish! Congrats.

Cilian made it further then I thought he would. Too bad he got rolled over for the sake of time.

Foreshadowing (also seen in the ending!).

If dragonite starts obeying, then it might start changing because it's not acting like a morron. However if only there was a better way of doing that.

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
If anything, guys, Trip has grown a lot to best Crustle with Serperior, even if as Is aid, I think he'll lose when it comes to Alder, since Alder is not a slouch, and Trip is being rather arrogant in regards to his thinking he will beat Alder so easily. Of course, the preview to the next episode is gonna be tough with Ash taking on Iris AND Trip. I imagine Pignite will give Serperior all he's got, even if he may lose. I'm sure it's gonna be a good battle.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Your logic makes no sense. Being raised from a Swinub doesn't give Mamoswine an edge over anyone. Strength is strength and we know this Dragonite has a lot of power because it was seen battling with Hydreigon and it was revealed that this Dragonite is a competitive pokemon that looks for strong opponents all the time. Just because a pokemon's experience is not shown on-screen, doesn't mean they are weaker than the ones who are. With that logic, Ash's pokemon should be stronger than everyone else's because we see his all the time. This isn't true because if it was, then Ash should've easily been able to beat Tobias's Darkrai and Latios and every other trainer for that matter. POWER IS POWER and the fact is Mamoswine is not strong as Dragonite. While Mamoswine was competing in contests, Dragonite was looking and fighting the toughest opponents and just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. That's more of your own personal complaint of why the writers chose to make Dragonite strong in the first place, which is a redundant question because the writers can do whatever they please. They can make a Caterpie the strongest pokemon in the world if they want.
I really hate fighting with fangeeks like you... never can your favorite character and things associated with it be flawed. Well so it took on and lost to a wild Hydreigon... boy that's sure is some power right there :p And then going on to say it went searching for tough opponents...okay, list those opponents for me, show me that it's truly as POWERFUL as you say. And to be quite frankly honest, just because you want to use my own onscreen training against me...Rivals are always excused from that point, as are gym leaders, because their naturally suppose to be good for us to believe in them. When a main character is just handed something that needed no work involved in it's "so called" strength, then one cannot truly claim it's strong just because it appears that it is. Buizel's and Snivy's track record prove this as does Charizard's from my training point. Charizard didn't go challenge tough opponents on it's own, but was raised from a Charmander (onscreen) and single handily become one of the most OP Pokemon Ash has owned to date (same goes for Pikachu, Sceptile, and Infernape) I am not suppose to sit here and believe because on some freaking claim of challenging Pokemon, that an untamed, untrained, newly caught Dragonite can take on two fully trained and fully developed Ice types and mop the floor with them. I'm glad Mamoswine pull up more of a fight, but again... onscreen experience pwns claimed experience any day of the week. But sit back and enjoy it while you can, if this going the possible route I think it's going... Dragonite's gonna be dropping power levels like crazy

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
While I liked the Dawn/Iris battle, it left a sour taste in my mouth that Dawn lost. Even Iris seemed angry at Dragonite for not obeying her, understanding that she wasn't in control of her win. I believe Georgia/Burundgly commented on it too.

Mamoswine really should have won here, and then we could have seen Ash beat Dawn with Krok evolving against it. Dragonite already got a big win against an ice type like Beatric, it didn't need another one.

Elevating Dragonite like this just hypes up Krokoodile( and Satoshi obviously) even more whent hey beat it, Mamoswine has been beaten before, Dragonite is seen as much more of a feet writing it this way.

I did want Dragonite to lose and start obeying but he doesn't seem to obey yet anyway, he won alone.

I really hate fighting with fangeeks like you... never can your favorite character and things associated with it be flawed. Well so it took on and lost to a wild Hydreigon... boy that's sure is some power right there :p And then going on to say it went searching for tough opponents...okay, list those opponents for me, show me that it's truly as POWERFUL as you say.

Except you're conveniently ignoring the story of how Dragonite was presented. First of all, Dragonite lost because it got hurt protecting a flock of Pidove. That wasn't a knock on its power because it was going toe to toe with Hydreigon prior. Second of all, the looking for strong opponents was revealed later, explaining to us viewers that this Dragonite has been battling strong opponents for a long time, and Hydreigon was simply one of many it has battled. You don't like the story? Well that's your opinion.

And to be quite frankly honest, just because you want to use my own onscreen training against me...Rivals are always excused from that point, as are gym leaders, because their naturally suppose to be good for us to believe in them. When a main character is just handed something that needed no work involved in it's "so called" strength, then one cannot truly claim it's strong just because it appears that it is. Buizel's and Snivy's track record prove this as does Charizard's from my training point.

How are rivals excused? It follows the exact same concept. We don't see the training, but it still happens. Just because you don't approve of Dragonite, doesn't mean its experience and strength doesn't exist. Again, you're just showing your preference of how you see things, there's nothing fact about it. Strength comes to anyone who is willing to work for it, and there's not just one way to accomplish that. If you don't accept the story of how Dragonite is strong, then that's more of a personal problem.

Charizard didn't go challenge tough opponents on it's own, but was raised from a Charmander (onscreen) and single handily become one of the most OP Pokemon Ash has owned to date (same goes for Pikachu, Sceptile, and Infernape) I am not suppose to sit here and believe because on some freaking claim of challenging Pokemon, that an untamed, untrained, newly caught Dragonite can take on two fully trained and fully developed Ice types and mop the floor with them.

Except you're just showing one way for a pokemon to become strong. A trainer raising a pokemon from nothing is one way to become strong, but the pokemon are capable of becoming strong themselves. You're pretty much not even accepting anything other than the usual formula, which only shows your lack of an open mind. You can question the writers of why they chose to make Dragonite strong, but you can't question the story because a wild pokemon is allowed to be have power on its own.

I'm glad Mamoswine pull up more of a fight, but again... onscreen experience pwns claimed experience any day of the week. But sit back and enjoy it while you can, if this going the possible route I think it's going... Dragonite's gonna be dropping power levels like crazy

Again, you're just showing your own personal preference of how things should be handled. You can't pass of your claim of being trained on-screen as the only way to become strong, and rivals being "exused" isn't helping your case either. I suggest you wake up.

Last edited:

Dax

Legend
Your bias knows no bounds. We've only seen Dragonite for 3 episodes and can't assume anything about it's experience as it was never shown onscreen. Mamoswine on the other hand was shown multiple times and was raised from a Swinub, which we all saw. Going by that matter alone, Mamoswine is reasonably the stronger of the two, but because the writers love to make Pokemon seem far more deadly then they are, Dragonite was a shoe'in to win this because of them(the writers) alone. If one were to write a reasonable story, almost everyone would likely make Mamoswine win in the end

But you don't need to see the experience on screen to know Dragonite is the most powerful of the two. The training Mamoswine received makes it strong but just because it was raised from a Swinub and we saw that experience doesn't confirm that it is stronger than Dragonite, it is also not the only way to show the viewer a pokemon is extremely powerful. Dragonite being introduced as an extremely powerful pokemon is just as valid as seeing Mamoswine being raised from a Swinub under a trainer's care. You don't need to see everything.

Difference would be if Dragonite was obeying which the battle would rely solely on the trainer's strength. I don't know who would win there, but I would root for Dawn.

jrizza88

Meteorite
What I don't get is why Cilan didn't have Crustle use Shell breaker (or w/e the name is) to raise its attack so it could land a speedy x scissor against Serperior. It was a bad move on his part! Also, some people made a good point that Serperior dodged a lot of attacks, and receives no damage.

If anything, guys, Trip has grown a lot to best Crustle with Serperior, even if as Is aid, I think he'll lose when it comes to Alder, since Alder is not a slouch, and Trip is being rather arrogant in regards to his thinking he will beat Alder so easily. Of course, the preview to the next episode is gonna be tough with Ash taking on Iris AND Trip. I imagine Pignite will give Serperior all he's got, even if he may lose. I'm sure it's gonna be a good battle.

He falls asleep in the middle of battles. :l

Rovian

Kodoku no Koori
After it bonded with Iris, Dragonite chose her to be its master, but it does not want to respect her. If it was a regular capture, I would understand but this is weird for a bonding capture.

LizardonX

Banned
The issue of training also comes in effect when krookodile which for sure has had less training than either mamo or beartic and still won.

dman_dustin

I forget if this was mentioned, but what was that whole Alder vs Trip picture in this episode?

Was it mentioned, or was it ignored and was some kind of foreshadowing?

He falls asleep in the middle of battles. :l

I'm only saying this as a joke.

If you were a champion, wouldn't you fall asleep if you were battling Ash?

Grey Wind

It was better than the first episode, but still pretty bad. Boldore and Stunfisk being used was great, even if their battles were faster than Cyber on his way to a Misty thread. Even with the rushed CotD battles, they still managed to make the other battles pretty dire.

Iris vs Dawn was good, but yeah, Dragonite OHKOing another Ice-type is just ridiculous. I love that Iris has it now, but I don't like the fact that it just bulldozes its way through battles. They missed an opportunity to have Dawn and Mamoswine help Iris too, which now leaves us with the impression that Dragonite was right, because the only battle he's listened in so far he's lost. Cilan vs Trip was way too quick too, and Serperior seems to have come from the same hax factory as Dragonite did. I'm glad Curstle finally lost and all, but couldn't it have gotten a hit in?

(Also Dragon Rush's new animation is amazeballs)

You're too serious dman. You can make a joke without putting a little note at the start :U

If you were a champion, wouldn't you fall asleep if you were battling Ash?

No, he's way too loud. I probably couldn't fall asleep if I tried. Trip heard him all the way down the street once. True story.

-------

Now, onto the episode. Trip's Serperior is epic. I guess now that Zeustle lost, he can be called Crustle again. But Serperior should be known as Zeusperior. Now that the snake is beating Crustle and Pignite, Darmanitan doesn't look as bad as he previosly did. These tournaments can actually be good when Bianca isn't taking up all the screentime like a 5 year old, and Stephan isn't getting all the victories. I'm glad they didn't enter. Even Trip is doing better now that the spotlight stealing duo are nowhere to be seen.

Too bad Dawn lost. Oh well, those things happen. Although Mamoswine is stronger than Dragonite and Dawn is a better trainer than Iris... Dragonite is just being glorified so Krookodile will beat him and look good.

Boldore is still Ash's weakest Unova pokemon, IMO.

Last edited:
You're too serious dman. You can make a joke without putting a little note at the start :U

Seeing as he's serious 99% of the time, the notice is helpful.

And waste the opportunity to laugh at him?

I was too busy laughing at Iris.

Col-Erase

and Dawn is a better trainer than Iris...

How did you come about this opinion?

Anyway, would love to know if anyone knows what Cynthia said to Iris and what she was saying as she watched her battle.

Last edited: