• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling career ideas other than gyms and contests

J-boogie200

I love Brock and Dawn, and I'm not saying they will leave or anything or trying to spark any discussion for future generations.

I don't know about the rest of you fans, but I love to stay entertained.

Battles normally do that for me.

I personally think if all contests had were appeals, I wouldn't be all that interested.

With that said, if we ever get other main characters, IMO, the only way for them to stay active and interesting is with battles.

People say Brock was more interesting when he battled.

With that said, do any of you have battle ideas that will keep you satisfied with this future main character?

I believe we don't know what the future holds, and being a major Dawn fan, I never want her to leave.

I don't want this to be when Dawn leaves, or 5th generation. If so, mods please close this.

IMO, being a professional double battler sounds like a great idea, where that person would battle and win points or something and enter a huge competition. They will need a full team of 6 for a League, and swapping during matches is allowed.

What ya think?

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
There are plenty of other professions. The are Pokemon Professors, Pokemon Stylists, Pokemon Day Cares, and Pokemon Scientists. The sky is the limit. Don't really know what you are trying to get at. There are tons of professions in the Pokemon world.

J-boogie200

I know, but I thought the battles is what kept people on edge.

Breeder is nonexistent to some, it just seems like if one doesn't battle, one stays unnoticed, IMO.

Dax

Legend
Pokemon Hunters! Let's shoot 'em all!~

Seriously, I like the idea of double battling and tag battling as well. I love we had a Tag Battle Tournament but I miss double battles. At least some contests and the Grand Festival will make up for that.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The Pokethlon was the first legitimate sidequest that could have become a big deal in the anime.

We could have had a character that competes in those competitions through the region and get a huge tournament at the end. But since they came for a remake game, the writers just threw them in a filler episode.

You're right that the Gym/Contest dynamic probably won't go on forever.

thunderblade12

I'd love for Pokethlon to become a major part of the show if they were handled like Pokeringer contests. Not if they're just a bunch of pokemon running and jumping around.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They'd probably add battles to them.

What J-boogie said is right, if the anime contests were just like the game ones they would have bombed entirely.

Adding the battle round to the anime contests is why they became popular. The show still needs battling in it despite what it is.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I know, but I thought the battles is what kept people on edge.

What some enjoy more then battles are interesting Characters and Episodes with interesting plots. It won't matter if a character does something new and exciting if their personality doesn't mix well with the viewer. They might enjoy a minor success towards the beginning of their run for doing something different but the more they appear the less we'll enjoy their time on screen. I think of it as " Kenny Syndrome ".

We've had a few hundred Trainer's introduced at this point with a good chunk of them recurring. Along with that we've had a few hundred episodes with recycled plots. Now think about this. What are some of the most memorable characters that have not traveled with the group? Were they Pokemon Trainers, Coordinators, or something else entirely? What makes some characters memorable while others who may do something different are not?

Jessiebelle's probably the best example of what I'm getting at. She's never done anything significant but she's remembered 10 years later. Duplica's another semi-popular character who is remembered in the fandom still today even though her last appearance was well over five years ago.

Pokemon Hunters! Let's shoot 'em all!~

!!!

Grei

not the color
I agree with CyberCubed; Pokethlon would've been an amazing addition as a new class of Trainer.
However, that seems unlikely now, unless it is brought back in future generations.

I've always liked the idea of a Pokemon Explorer. Somebody who uses Pokemon to explore unknown areas of the Pokemon world, investigates myths and legends, etc. I think that'd be a cool type of Trainer to see, although it wouldn't involve battling, likely.

thunderblade12

Nearly every event of the Pokethlon could incorporate battles in one way or another:

Dash Hurdles/Charge Relay - The pokemon could attack each other to slow down their opponets.

Bounce Field - Mid-air battles for non-Flying types? Trying to prevent each other from obtaining lights.

Ring Out Fight - Obvious.

Steal Flag, Smash Goal, Catch Saucer, and Push Circle - Again, attacking to prevent their opponet's moves. Catch Saucer in particular reminds me of Pokeringer Contests. Rather that capturing a ring they capture a frisbee-type object.

The only two I don't think it could work for are Break Block and Shooting Snow. Break Block would no doubt be similar to the event in DP082 and in Shooting Snow the snow is sort of the "weapon" so I doubt pokemon would be allowed to use attacks. These two events could be treated like the first two gyms of the Orange Islands.

NES

Flip me to the side!
No, even Shooting snow and break block could be interesting, despite not having direct battling on them. Sort of how appeals work in contest, but better.

Either way if they made pokethlon in 3vs3 like in the games it would been awesome, a Pokethlon trainer would have to work on his pokemon as a team rather than just individually (like trainers and coordinators do) that would make a nice difference.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Pokathlon is the only thing that can be a career for someone.
I hope that in the next region a new little kid will be with Ash, Brock and the new girl, and this will be his goal, with rivals of course.
This could be good.

HoennMaster

I for one would hate to see the Pokethlon be something a main character does. It would get beyond boring see the same 6 Pokémon doing the same events over and over again. At least with Contests the appeals (minus the ice) is always different.

pokemon fan 132

There are plenty of other careers for someone to do,beside gyms and contests,problem is that writers so far didnt decided to try out most of them.

Here are just few examples:
-pokemon rangers
-pokethlon,new feature from games which would add something different than same old routine,but sadly it got focused for only one episode.I have encountered many ideas,how this would be perfectto do for either of two known gym leaders(no need to mention who).

There are also anime only things which could be incorporated,if writers decide to do such thing.

-chain of competitions for trainers who use one type,qualifying for mini tournament at end of saga.Options are almost endless,and perfect candidate in that case would be someone very familiar to fans.
-tag battles being organized of having trainers divided in groups of two battling against each other,using team work.
-catching pokemon contests,with battling round being involved.
etc.

Sure these kind of events arent from games,but frankly it doesnt matter.Writers are allowed to go of route,at the same time filling quote of obligation toward them,at same time indirectly promoting pokemon through this side events.

I for one would hate to see the Pokethlon be something a main character does. It would get beyond boring see the same 6 Pokémon doing the same events over and over again. At least with Contests the appeals (minus the ice) is always different.

Its the same thing with gyms and contests,doing same kind of competitions over and over again.

Its unfair to judge something new,especially if it get only one episode of focus.We cant know how well that would work out,with so little informations on our disposal.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
A Breeder competition with contest style rounds and battle rounds is something I have always wanted to see, however they would end up being very contest like.

Also seeing more of the competitive battling you often see at the start of movies in the Battle Towers would be great.

But Personally I would love to see some king of massive all vs. all or team battle, Where you have about 8 - 10 different Pokemon on the field at once and it plays like a last man/Pokemon standing game. It could either be one trainers team vs. another trainers team all at once, or 8 trainers with 1 Pokemon each.
Then you could also mix it up with 6 vs. 6 Pokemon versions of other computer game modes like King of the Hill, or even a Flag capture game (like Pokeringer but on land and with one than 1 Pokemon each).

thunderblade12

Breeding Conventions could be something that would be interesting. Breeders could allow their pokemon to battle to measure their physical fitness and stuff. The first round, the "Inspection" could be handled like the inspection round of a dog show. Didn't Brock and Suzie enter one in the episode Vulpix left in?

I don't see them spending much time on something like this though. You have to remember that the anime is just a promotion for the games. Nothing more, nothing less. It's basically a long commercial. Spending like three episodes on something like this (like the Whirl Cup) could be ideal but not an ongoing arc of token collecting. The twenty episodes that would be spent on these non-advertising anime-only events could be spent actually advertising the games. The writers can be creative, they just can't go overboard and create an entire plot that doesn't even have anything to do with the games. Even the rivalries are used to promote the games. Paul, for example, was probably only created to make the Chimchar-line memorable and to give pokemon like Magmortar and Honchkrow large roles.

Like pokemon fan 132's idea of Water Trainer Contests, I think it'd be better to handle these kinda anime-exclusive things differently. Just feature the Grand Festival/League equivalent of the career and allow who ever wants to enter to enter. No qualifying factors necessary. Again, like the Whirl Cup. I can't see them handling it any other way.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Breeding Conventions could be something that would be interesting. Breeders could allow their pokemon to battle to measure their physical fitness and stuff. The first round, the "Inspection" could be handled like the inspection round of a dog show. Didn't Brock and Suzie enter one in the episode Vulpix left in?

I don't see them spending much time on something like this though. You have to remember that the anime is just a promotion for the games. Nothing more, nothing less. It's basically a long commercial. Spending like three episodes on something like this (like the Whirl Cup) could be ideal but not an ongoing arc of token collecting. The twenty episodes that would be spent on these non-advertising anime-only events could be spent actually advertising the games. The writers can be creative, they just can't go overboard and create an entire plot that doesn't even have anything to do with the games. Even the rivalries are used to promote the games.

Like pokemon fan 132's idea of Water Trainer Contests, I think it'd be better to handle these kinda anime-exclusive things differently. Just feature the Grand Festival/League equivalent of the career and allow who ever wants to enter to enter. No qualifying factors necessary. Again, like the Whirl Cup. I can't see them handling it any other way.

I agree this completely though:
Paul, for example, was probably only created to make the Chimchar-line memorable and to give pokemon like Magmortar and Honchkrow large roles.

Wasn't he also created to fill Silver's role as if Silver himself became Ash's rival, it would create a lot of plot holes? Or am I having just random thoughts? :/

Pokemon Ninjas!! :D
Like Koga, Aya, Janine and Aya's teacher/sensei/whatever?

Red1062

So Cool
Well what I would like to see for a Future Main Character isn't anything new but something cool. I would like a Future Main Character to compete in Gym Battles just like Ash. Then Ash would automatically have a Rival and Ash could help in his/her development as a Trainer. And that Trainer doesn't necessarily have to obtain all the badges and compete in the League as Ash. But I think it would be nice and cool to have a Main Character also compete in Gym Battles along side Ash.

Bell56

The One and Only
Well they could do a Pokemon Ranger and have competitions where they have to complete tasks by finding a Pokemon in the area to help them. Then there would be a battle round where they have to use the Pokemon which they just 'caught'. This would require alot of knowledge on what moves and abilities pokemon have, it would also allow the use of a variety of pokemon that might not of gotten as much focus. Once they win like 5 'Patches' (like boy scouts get) they would then be eligible to enter the tournament to reach the next Rank of Pokemon Ranger (I see this being like how there are different Ninja Ranks in Naruto).