• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back (1135)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1135.jpg

Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back

Professor Cerise has detected some unusual psychic energy on an island which he believes could be that of the Mythical Pokémon Mew. Goh, eager to catch Mew, suggests he and Ash should go to the island and investigate. However, once they get to the island, they get confronted not by Mew but by the mysterious Pokémon Mewtwo, a Pokémon Ash hasn't seen for a long time...

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This episode was great, but it would have been so much better if they hadn't spoiled much from the episode. Ash clearly recognized and identified Mewtwo, I'd need subs to understand exactly what they were talking about.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Totally didn't expect the "World of Pokemon" Intro from movies to be redone here! Seeing Hoopa again was so nice, and in a Mewtwo episode of all things.
Now to the meat:
Fun adventures at first, Goh catches some 'mons but gets blown by Gyarados whom he failed to capture.
Mewtwo back with his wisdom. They challenged him to a battle, and obviously he absolutely wrecked them. However, I enjoyed Ash's and Goh's teamwork and effort! Their memories didn't get wiped so all's good. It was a super episode!

Mew casually flying by the laboratory at the end was funny, if only Goh knew...

I only wish his clones were on the island with him for some more consistency, but oh well.

Kein

AKA Silktree
I only wish his clones were on the island with him for some more consistency, but oh well.
Mewtwo was shown alone at the end of Mewtwo Returns. While it's a bit lame that he has new friends with zero backstory (and making them all unevolved and cute is a bit boring), I think Mewtwo wanted the clones to have normal lives.

I thought this episode was disappointing due to half of it not featuring Mewtwo at all, and there being no time for Ash and Mewtwo to discuss the past. There was also no closure whatsoever, so the only question is if there's going to be a continuation with both Mewtwo and Mew. It depends on what exactly Mewtwo said, I guess. The Mewtwo I know would have shown more interest in Ash, and vice-versa to be honest.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Totally didn't expect the "World of Pokemon" Intro from movies to be redone here! Seeing Hoopa again was so nice, and in a Mewtwo episode of all things.
Now to the meat:
Fun adventures at first, Goh catches some 'mons but gets blown by Gyarados whom he failed to capture.
Mewtwo back with his wisdom. They challenged him to a battle, and obviously he absolutely wrecked them. However, I enjoyed Ash's and Goh's teamwork and effort! Their memories didn't get wiped so all's good. It was a super episode!

Mew casually flying by the laboratory at the end was funny, if only Goh knew...

He let his clones go to the outside world though in the end of Mewtwo Returns
I agree that the opening was so good

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Mewtwo was shown alone at the end of Mewtwo Returns. While it's a bit lame that he has new friends with zero backstory, I think Mewtwo wanted the clones to have normal lives.

He let his clones go to the outside world though in the end of Mewtwo Returns
I agree that the opening was so good

Ah yeah, that explains it then, thanks. Been a while since I last watched it.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
>Go helps Satoshi out of the swamp by getting Heracross to pull him up and carry him back to solid ground
IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS...
Go: "How on earth are we going to cross this swamp?"
Nobody: "Well Heracross is clearly quite capable of carrying a ten-year-old so why not just have him carry us over?"
Go, instead: "CATERPIE, USE STRING SHOT! THEN WE WILL CLIMB ACROSS USING THAT STRING!!"

Lacuna

Goodnight
I'm definitely gonna need to see the subtitles on this one to fully understand it and come back later. But yeah, seconded: the intro was really cool, but the way they spoiled so much of the rest (and how abruptly it just sorta... ended) kiiinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh yeah, also worth noting Raboot/Riolu are still in the opening, and nothing else changed either, so they're probably gonna be there for a while still.

BobbbidyBob

From what I saw Mewtwo appeared for the last 10 minutes of the ep

dman_dustin

Just a mild criticism in regards to the opening, not that important. Just expressing general frustration.
I want egg on my face next week but let's talk about an issue I have with the anime.

I don't understand why they bothered to create an opening that was going to be largely outdated.

You would think they'd have multiple variations of the opening to account for major team changes.

But no, largely the only time they do that is when they are static such as Ash's Incineroar replacing Torracat.

But of course they make an opening heavily around Riolu and Raboot and what happens.....outdated within a handful of episodes 13 or so episodes.

Its like they are allergic to spoilers and yet they aren't at the same. Sure maybe the opening animation will change maybe with a new song but then why this much new animation and why have it he Rabot and Riolu oriented? Sure they existed for 13 episodes but afterwards the rest of the majority its outdated.

Its not much of a problem because its two Pokemon that do show up in a blink and miss shot, and I'm sure the pandemic is also to blame but wouldn't it have been better to just outright have Lucario and Cinderace if it is never getting updated. Hence why they seem partially allergic to spoilers since its 13 episodes with Riolu and Raboot.

But as I said this is part of a larger problem. Sometimes they outright have spoilers, and other times they replace outdated Pokemon mostly when the image is static like the last Sun and Moon opening with Ash's team changes. But we're usually stuck with dynamic animations like for example Riolu vs Farfetch'd, no way they would change that with Lucario vs Farfetch'd, same with the battle sequences between Ash vs Go.

But again why not just have those dynamic animations just have the spoilers already why have them be outdated when they get to that part? If we have more than 13 episodes with this animation and even close to 20-25, why have an outdated opening? Especially if the argument is well the opening will change from the evolutions like 7-10 but that just begs the question, you spent likely a lot of money on the animation for this opening animation but it lasts less than the first opening animation? Either way its weird.

But yes ultimately it doesn't matter just a mild annoyance because I can't be too critcal because of the pandemic and most if the dynamic shots are realky amazing but it still annoys me.

Which is why I am hoping to just be wrong next week or up to 3 weeks from the evolution.