• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back (1135)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Any new visual in the op?
No. Still exactly the same, preview clips and unevolved Pokémon and all. So I have to wonder if we're due for another total overhaul in a month or two.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I doubt this is the last we'll see of Mewtwo, no idea if it'll be the Mewtwo but we'll see one again
That massively depends on how much money OLM is willing to burn for his legendary VA.
We need to have Koharu say these exact lines to Goh XD
There's a good reason that endearing girl does not come with them.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Goh thoughts during the battle: I should've kept Eternatus and use it against this guy...

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Wow, the anime staff remembered Grookey exists!

But more importantly: It's really good seeing Chespin again... When is he going to Ash? :(

As for the episode, here I go for another grumpy old man rant:

This episode... works.

I'm not going as far as to say "Shudo is rolling on his grave" over this one. Unlike what other people might think, I do believe that those "auther" works wether it's the first Pokémon movie or even Watchman can be "touched" and there isn't much of an issue giving them a follow-up. At the end of the day, they are still work from hire done by people who needed some bucks to pay their bills (the only difference is that Shudo was smarter than Moore on keeping his rights, but I digress)

That said, while I'm not opposed to this episode existing in the first place, I'm somewhat dissapointed because... It just exists. They try to make a big deal out of it but... I just don't feel it. They claimed it was an episode meant for the "parents of the kids watching who've seen the movie back when it originally aired". Well, while I'm not a parent, I certainly was a kid back then and I don't feel that episode is truly "for me". Honestly, I just don't understand what's supposed to be "for me" besides revisiting Mewtwo? Ash is there. So is Pikachu but then they've been around forever.

It also helps the episode is completly disconnected to the movie. There's no thing truly connecting them aside from Ash knowing Mewtwo (and here the writting deserves some credit as they really nailed how to show us Ash and Mewtwo know each other without saying). I mean, at least you could somewhat tell us the island Ash and Goh are coming is the same one we've seen on movie 1. I mean, for all we know this island might be, but some confirmation would be nice.

Another thing is that the update on Mewtwo is... Dissapointing. Not to mention it kind of doesn't match the end of Returns. Some of you won't remember but back on Gen 5, there was speculation Mewtwo was on Unova because the setting of where he was in the end of Returns could pass as Castelia or something like that.

While it's logical Mewtwo is babysitting pokémon mistreated by humans... It's nothing quite new. I mean, game lore says the muskedeers does it. We've seen a story about it with tsundere Volcanion on movie 19. I dunno, if you are making a big deal about Mewtwo returning then think up something that makes it stand out like Mewtwo is also saving/helping humans or something like that. I dunno, anything that shows some progress.

I've seen some criticisms towards journeys because it tends to pull off some things mostly to say "look at me, I'm here!" or some cheap nostalgia baits (the Piplup and Croagnuk episode). It wasn't really bothering me but alongside with the "Ash's Lucario" thing it feels more of a marketing stunt than something that benefit the narrative.

The episode also keeps a trend of Journeys of pulling a Brian Bendis and just repeating the same things over and over again. I mean, why do I need to see Ash and Goh reaffirming their dreams? Gee, that thing is mentioned in the beggining of every episode through the narration. And while it's true they probably did that for the sake of people who might be unfamiliar with it, I dunno... It just feels borderline repetitive.

It also doesn't help there's no justification/whatsover for why they need to have the boys reaffirming their dreams to Mewtwo nor he needing to test their resolution or come up with something like "this world is too big, don't think things will be as easy". Why do they even need such lesson?

I mean, why do we need Mewtwo returning to give a lesson to Ash and Goh about to not get overconfident when we saw no signs of them needing to learn anything, specially something they already knew. Gee, Goh's remarked that the world's is big/vast as soon as episode 4! Also, Ash learned there's always someone better as soon as his first match with Bea.

Gee, if it came right after an episode or scene showing that Ash and Goh got overconfident after getting their brand new evolutions, the pairing with Galar doggos and the Eternatus catch, it'd work a lot more in a "don't think things will go your way like with the Darkest Day incident"

This episode really feels more like made out for the sake of fanservice than anything else. But even at that it fails.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the branding of using Movie1!Mewtwo, this episode could be just like any other Journeys filler. Gee, I'd say if it was any other legendary, it might have worked a bit better because at least they'd hype it slightly less and worst case, I'd be complaining about once again the episode spelling out Ash's and Goh's goals.

Not wanting to sound grumpy, but I dunno, the episode doesn't live up the hype they were making for it. Lucario's and Cinderace's performance was on par with your standard battle (though I'd say Raboot vs Flygon was more appealing).

Either way, the episode is functional to what it sets to be thus why I think it works. But I dunno, for such a hyped episode, it could deliver a bit more.

No. Still exactly the same, preview clips and unevolved Pokémon and all. So I have to wonder if we're due for another total overhaul in a month or two.

Maybe the new opening will come with the first episode of 2021? Seems like the best time for it in my opinion.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't really think it's quite Goh's fault here.

Seems like he wants Sobble out more often but sometimes have to recall him because he knows a certain place/situation may be too scary for him which would cause him to cause the crying chaos. Notice how on today's episode he had him use water gun to clean Ash's clothes and quickly recalled him. He knows the island is dangerous and it'll scare him off so Goh kept him in the pokéball.

I'd say it ties quite well with what Goh's learned on Sobble's capture episode.

Also, it shows there was more to the episode than the whole "WHY AINT IT ASHS" melodrama.

BobbbidyBob

BobbbidyBob

Wow, the anime staff remembered Grookey exists!

But more importantly: It's really good seeing Chespin again... When is he going to Ash? :(

As for the episode, here I go for another grumpy old man rant:

This episode... works.

I'm not going as far as to say "Shudo is rolling on his grave" over this one. Unlike what other people might think, I do believe that those "auther" works wether it's the first Pokémon movie or even Watchman can be "touched" and there isn't much of an issue giving them a follow-up. At the end of the day, they are still work from hire done by people who needed some bucks to pay their bills (the only difference is that Shudo was smarter than Moore on keeping his rights, but I digress)

That said, while I'm not opposed to this episode existing in the first place, I'm somewhat dissapointed because... It just exists. They try to make a big deal out of it but... I just don't feel it. They claimed it was an episode meant for the "parents of the kids watching who've seen the movie back when it originally aired". Well, while I'm not a parent, I certainly was a kid back then and I don't feel that episode is truly "for me". Honestly, I just don't understand what's supposed to be "for me" besides revisiting Mewtwo? Ash is there. So is Pikachu but then they've been around forever.

It also helps the episode is completly disconnected to the movie. There's no thing truly connecting them aside from Ash knowing Mewtwo (and here the writting deserves some credit as they really nailed how to show us Ash and Mewtwo know each other without saying). I mean, at least you could somewhat tell us the island Ash and Goh are coming is the same one we've seen on movie 1. I mean, for all we know this island might be, but some confirmation would be nice.

Another thing is that the update on Mewtwo is... Dissapointing. Not to mention it kind of doesn't match the end of Returns. Some of you won't remember but back on Gen 5, there was speculation Mewtwo was on Unova because the setting of where he was in the end of Returns could pass as Castelia or something like that.

While it's logical Mewtwo is babysitting pokémon mistreated by humans... It's nothing quite new. I mean, game lore says the muskedeers does it. We've seen a story about it with tsundere Volcanion on movie 19. I dunno, if you are making a big deal about Mewtwo returning then think up something that makes it stand out like Mewtwo is also saving/helping humans or something like that. I dunno, anything that shows some progress.

I've seen some criticisms towards journeys because it tends to pull off some things mostly to say "look at me, I'm here!" or some cheap nostalgia baits (the Piplup and Croagnuk episode). It wasn't really bothering me but alongside with the "Ash's Lucario" thing it feels more of a marketing stunt than something that benefit the narrative.

The episode also keeps a trend of Journeys of pulling a Brian Bendis and just repeating the same things over and over again. I mean, why do I need to see Ash and Goh reaffirming their dreams? Gee, that thing is mentioned in the beggining of every episode through the narration. And while it's true they probably did that for the sake of people who might be unfamiliar with it, I dunno... It just feels borderline repetitive.

It also doesn't help there's no justification/whatsover for why they need to have the boys reaffirming their dreams to Mewtwo nor he needing to test their resolution or come up with something like "this world is too big, don't think things will be as easy". Why do they even need such lesson?

I mean, why do we need Mewtwo returning to give a lesson to Ash and Goh about to not get overconfident when we saw no signs of them needing to learn anything, specially something they already knew. Gee, Goh's remarked that the world's is big/vast as soon as episode 4! Also, Ash learned there's always someone better as soon as his first match with Bea.

Gee, if it came right after an episode or scene showing that Ash and Goh got overconfident after getting their brand new evolutions, the pairing with Galar doggos and the Eternatus catch, it'd work a lot more in a "don't think things will go your way like with the Darkest Day incident"

This episode really feels more like made out for the sake of fanservice than anything else. But even at that it fails.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the branding of using Movie1!Mewtwo, this episode could be just like any other Journeys filler. Gee, I'd say if it was any other legendary, it might have worked a bit better because at least they'd hype it slightly less and worst case, I'd be complaining about once again the episode spelling out Ash's and Goh's goals.

Not wanting to sound grumpy, but I dunno, the episode doesn't live up the hype they were making for it. Lucario's and Cinderace's performance was on par with your standard battle (though I'd say Raboot vs Flygon was more appealing).

Either way, the episode is functional to what it sets to be thus why I think it works. But I dunno, for such a hyped episode, it could deliver a bit more.

Maybe the new opening will come with the first episode of 2021? Seems like the best time for it in my opinion.
Well bruh.....if the ep ain’t for you, who grew up with Pokémon....and I’m just a newb in the franchise who also felt meh about it....then for WHO is this episode? Hmmm quite the conundrum.....XD
Also I think Femtwo would have worked here more cause she is supposed to be the wild one, but instead she is the one who apparently stops by Unova city now given the genesect movie(which was supposed to be M1 Mewtwo’s thing, but the rights and all messed it up) so...roles reversed now I guess?

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Goh thoughts during the battle: I should've kept Eternatus and use it against this guy...
Even with Eternamax, Eternatus probably would had a hard time against Mewtwo.
I mean Leon was able to almost take down Eternatus with just Charizard (before being defeated by its Eternamax).
How would Eternatus really fair in an environment which didn't have Galar Particle (essential for its Eternamax and over all power boost), and fought against an opponent which was stronger and also had a type advantage over it (remember, Eternatus is a Poison/Dragon type), while being under the control of a trainer who wasn't really that good at battles.

BobbbidyBob

Even with Eternamax, Eternatus probably would had a hard time against Mewtwo.
I mean Leon was able to almost take down Eternatus with just Charizard (before being defeated by its Eternamax).
How would Eternatus really fair in an environment which didn't have Galar Particle (essential for its Eternamax and over all power boost), and fought against an opponent which was stronger and also had a type advantage over it (remember, Eternatus is a Poison/Dragon type), while being under the control of a trainer who wasn't really that good at battles.
Noice point fam jam! Though maybe with Eternatus AND Zapdos he would have stood a chance?if he had caught Zapdos that is.... bummer......

BobbbidyBob

Guurls! The ep with subs is finally available!

BobbbidyBob

Broooo I thought Mewtwo would train Ash and Goh in this ep and be sort of a mentor since he once called himself “greatest Pokémon master” as well. And he wasn’t bad at being a trainer XD that would have been cool in my opinion. Instead he is just another legendary battle encounter experience. Like Lugia and Zapdos. Except he talks.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I really liked this episode! Well I liked the mewtwo fight a lot. I didn’t understand much but still enjoyable.

lucario uzumaki and aceburn beckam was an interesting combo

and I’m glad mewtwo destroyed them lol. So glad they didn’t get a hit like the zapdos fight and mewtwo even used his tail!

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Since the last Darkest Days episode happened last week and that we got to see Lucario and Cinderace power levels in that episode and the current one, I wondered if Mewtwo decided to deal with Rose, Oleana and Eternatus, it probably dealt with them without the Galar Legendary Dogs being summoned.

Otherwise, ok episode. Of course Mewtwo is overpowered so it doesn't have to do much, even its shadow balls just go through everything no matter how repetitive that move is in our eyes.

Soniman

Break the Limit
So watching it subbed there was basically zero continuity here , no references to the movie or any hint him or Ash know each other that's incredibly pointless and frustrating considering everyone knows the history between these two so why hide it? For this series at least pulling a keep away like that is very surprising considering how well they've been doing so far.

Ignoring all that though the episode was fine enough. I enjoyed the battle and the message but I really hope Cinderace isn't delegated to being confined to his ball now that he's not a cute mascot mon that gets to walk around

Xuxuba

I mean, Ash kind of acted like he knew Mewtwo, or at the very least he knew his name...

Mewtwo on the other hand treated Ash like a complete stranger. When Mewtwo commented on Ash's bond with Pokémon, it was almost as if he had never seen Ash interact with other Pokémon before...

Either way, the name dropping is as far as the continuity goes. There wasn't really any mention of the previous events nor it was outright stated that they knew each other.

Last edited: