• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling & Getting! Mewtwo Comes Back (1135)

Red and Blue

I like that Ash himself even realized how foolish it was for Go to try and catch Mewtwo :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
This might actually be my least favorite episode of this series so far. I didn't understand the point of Mewtwo battling against Satoshi and Gou if the battle was going to be so vexing and repetitive: Mewtwo abusing Shadow Ball while Lucario and Aceburn were treated as impotent punching bags got tiresome very quickly. I understand the nostalgia angle, but I think it could've been handled a lot better without a battle happening involving Mewtwo, Satoshi, and Gou if for instance the Rocket-dan or some other villain had been featured during the climax, instead.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I really hope Cinderace isn't delegated to being confined to his ball now that he's not a cute mascot mon that gets to walk around
...He's not cute anymore?
I like that Ash himself even realized how foolish it was for Go to try and catch Mewtwo :p

Ash: Dude, you crazy.

Goh: Dude, you forgot all the crap we've been through dealing with Legendaries and how last half an hour ago we...I captured a dang alien dragon.

Ash: Yeah, but, dude. Mewtwo.

Both: Dude.

dman_dustin

This might actually be my least favorite episode of this series so far. I didn't understand the point of Mewtwo battling against Satoshi and Gou if the battle was going to be so vexing and repetitive: Mewtwo abusing Shadow Ball while Lucario and Aceburn were treated as impotent punching bags got tiresome very quickly. I understand the nostalgia angle, but I think it could've been handled a lot better without a battle happening involving Mewtwo, Satoshi, and Gou if for instance the Rocket-dan or some other villain had been featured during the climax, instead.

I mean Mewtwo literally said as much.

I hardly think its fair to criticize the episode when the character in the episode tells you what's going to happen if you choose to follow through with what the other characters are going to do. "Repetitive?" lol, you aren't going to get anything else.

I don't understand the criticism either, Mewtwo outright told Ash and Go pretty much that they set an incredibly high bar and they have a long way to go, it wasn't going to change just because Go has a Cinderace or Ash has a Lucario and is competing in PWC just to have Ash and Go fare well against Mewtwo because it has to be "exciting"

Ash and Go were getting destroyed because it was Movie one Mewtwo I cannot imagine why anyone would think anything else was going to happen, let alone what even less meaning team rocket would bring.

As I said when discussing the possibility of Mewtwo being caught, the only feasible way is if it was a weaker feral Mewtwo from another universe but Mewtwo from the 1st movie, hell no.

In no way was any sort of needle of "progress" going to move with movie one Mewtwo. Which I'm pretty sure was the point of the episode, Mewtwo was too high of a bar to set at this point in time.

And as such this episode kind of felt like the end of a prologue, first chapter, end of a tutorial. As in you got this far but.....yeah, you still have a hell of a lot to go. Kind of like sword and shield when your low level Pokemon runs into that level 30-50 (for example) Pokemon because the world or wild area is that open.

D

Deleted member 384931

Even with subs, this episode was boring. The fight was repetitive and Mewtwo could be a whole different Mewtwo if we didn't know the info before it was from M01. 5/10

Lacuna

Goodnight
I just watched it again, with subtitles this time to give my real thoughts on it, but somehow I'm still just feeling... nothin'.

What's bugging me the most is how this feels completely disconnected from everything else that's happened up to this point. Why make such a big deal about bringing back THE original M1 Mewtwo, if you don't actually make any direct reference or connection to it at all, nor even really give him the focus he deserves?? The rest of the episode itself was actually pretty average. It's just that there was so much wasted potential here that it like, hurts me.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir.

D

Deleted member 384931

I just watched it again, with subtitles this time to give my real thoughts on it, but somehow I'm still just feeling... nothin'.

What's bugging me the most is how this feels completely disconnected from everything else that's happened up to this point. Why make such a big deal about bringing back THE original M1 Mewtwo, if you don't actually make any direct reference or connection to it at all, nor even really give him the focus he deserves?? The rest of the episode itself was actually pretty average. It's just that there was so much wasted potential here that it like, hurts me.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir.
Maybe they didnt have inspiration?

Leonhart

Imagineer
dman_dustin said:

I hardly think its fair to criticize the episode when the character in the episode tells you what's going to happen if you choose to follow through with what the other characters are going to do. "Repetitive?" lol, you aren't going to get anything else.

I was referring to the out-of-universe reason for why the battle between Mewtwo and Satoshi and Gou was conceived, not whatever justification Mewtwo was given for accepting their challenge in the episode itself. If the writers simply wanted Mewtwo to show off and impress the audience, I think they could've done so through a different scenario like I suggested before, rather than by having Mewtwo toss around Satoshi and Gou's Pokemon like rag dolls.

Rune Knight

Finally got around to watching the episode. I liked it mostly for the Mewtwo parts. I wish they had emphasized more on the continuity aspect cause I feel like they sort of danced around it.

I liked the intro segment, though I wonder why they felt the need to re-introduce everyone to the audience. If this episode was the first of a new season I'd understand, but since it's still re-using the same opening I'm assuming that it is not.

Also, there is too much water. 8/10.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well bruh.....if the ep ain’t for you, who grew up with Pokémon....and I’m just a newb in the franchise who also felt meh about it....then for WHO is this episode? Hmmm quite the conundrum.....XD

My remarks are more of a subtle jab at this line about saying the episode are meant for people who watched the original movie back in the day.

I don't think that being with the franchise for longer makes you any better or special compared to just about anyone else. It just means you spent more time with it. We are all fans in the end of the day

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
You could watch this episode without having watched M01 and Mewtwo Returns and nothing would change. Heck, you could even replace Mewtwo with any other strong Pokémon and nothing would have changed since its connection with Mew is barely touched upon.

Pure marketing, again.

Last edited:

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I wasn’t really hyped for the episode and wasn’t blown away after watching.

I don’t hate go, but i think this was an episode that got worse because of his inclusion or at least it shows they’re not able to juggle the focus on the two leads properly. Because ash honestly felt like tag along that was an afterthought in this ep.

The adventure segment was unneeded.They should’ve fallen into the river after being chased by mankey. The whole bog scenario just wasted time, to show how resourceful go is with his pokemon. Which frankly just makes ash seemed helpless in comparison. Dragonite would’ve solved all their problems without the convoluted thing they had go do.

When mewtwo did appear, their interaction was absolutely bland. Specifying that this M1 mewtwo when they don’t build off it at all is pointless. This where the extra minutes by cutting the adventure would be helpful. It’s fine to have mewtwo set the high bar, but they should’ve let ash and mewtwo show their previou connection more. Have them talk a bit, before the discussion turn towards their dream and the fight begins. Because with how it is, it felt like ash was just following go’s lead during the whole encounter.

Honestly the best part of this ep was the intro.

BobbbidyBob

I don't understand the criticism either, Mewtwo outright told Ash and Go pretty much that they set an incredibly high bar and they have a long way to go, it wasn't going to change just because Go has a Cinderace or Ash has a Lucario and is competing in PWC just to have Ash and Go fare well against Mewtwo because it has to be "exciting"

Ash and Go were getting destroyed because it was Movie one Mewtwo I cannot imagine why anyone would think anything else was going to happen, let alone what even less meaning team rocket would bring.

As I said when discussing the possibility of Mewtwo being caught, the only feasible way is if it was a weaker feral Mewtwo from another universe but Mewtwo from the 1st movie, hell no.

In no way was any sort of needle of "progress" going to move with movie one Mewtwo. Which I'm pretty sure was the point of the episode, Mewtwo was too high of a bar to set at this point in time.

And as such this episode kind of felt like the end of a prologue, first chapter, end of a tutorial. As in you got this far but.....yeah, you still have a hell of a lot to go. Kind of like sword and shield when your low level Pokemon runs into that level 30-50 (for example) Pokemon because the world or wild area is that open.
Realistically speaking what they were saying is that, it’s been 20 years of this journey with this kid and there’s still 50+ years to go. The writers could invent a shortcut but they don’t to keep it going and going. Though they could keep it going in a more fun way in my opinion without keeping Ash a newb forever. You kept him that way for this long, now take responsibility and level him up quickly, in the way you should have in the past years that were wasted.XD let this kid catch more legendaries pleeaeeease.

In the end this was “just another episode” ....and didn’t deserve any hype. I mean what happens next after this “great” episode? An eating contest!

I think Mewtwo given his history with Ash could have tagged along with him, not as a caught Pokémon but perhaps out of curiosity for learning more about the world, asa guardian or to discover something of life or something existential like dat idk....#creativeFreedom
That would be fun

The creators of this show run this world and the characters, they could build this in a more awesome way or any way they want that isn’t the current way, but I think they may be a little skittish.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

This episode would’ve been way better if the absolutely pointless 10 minutes of Go showing off his Pokémon he hasn’t used since capturing them, wasn’t included. What a waste of time, it didn’t even have anything to do with the overall theme of the episode.

As for the marketing parts, I’m 50/50. On one hand I’m fanboying over Mewtwo, his absolute godly seiyuu, and his genuine display of strength that BW Mewtwo couldn’t dream of having. On the other, Mewtwo lost 10 minutes of screen time that could’ve been used as a quick dive of his past, an explanation on his and Ash’s connection, and why he is where he is. I mean hell Mewtwo said he was “created” and Go didn’t bat an eye. That was jarring.

Also while that battle was immensely satisfying, I don’t like the Pikachu disrespect this series. When it comes to strong foes this saga, Pikachu has been smacked around and it’s starting to make me mad. How did Pikachu get one shot while Lucario and Cinderace took a barrage of hits? Come on now. I was most looking forward to Pikachu getting one good Thunderbolt on Mewtwo before kicking the bucket but this was just sad.

Overall, 7/10 episode. Looking forward to Mewtwo’s next episode because I know for a fact the writers aren’t done with him yet.

BobbbidyBob

This episode would’ve been way better if the absolutely pointless 10 minutes of Go showing off his Pokémon he hasn’t used since capturing them, wasn’t included. What a waste of time, it didn’t even have anything to do with the overall theme of the episode.

As for the marketing parts, I’m 50/50. On one hand I’m fanboying over Mewtwo, his absolute godly seiyuu, and his genuine display of strength that BW Mewtwo couldn’t dream of having. On the other, Mewtwo lost 10 minutes of screen time that could’ve been used as a quick dive of his past, an explanation on his and Ash’s connection, and why he is where he is. I mean hell Mewtwo said he was “created” and Go didn’t bat an eye. That was jarring.

Also while that battle was immensely satisfying, I don’t like the Pikachu disrespect this series. When it comes to strong foes this saga, Pikachu has been smacked around and it’s starting to make me mad. How did Pikachu get one shot while Lucario and Cinderace took a barrage of hits? Come on now. I was most looking forward to Pikachu getting one good Thunderbolt on Mewtwo before kicking the bucket but this was just sad.

Overall, 7/10 episode. Looking forward to Mewtwo’s next episode because I know for a fact the writers aren’t done with him yet.
Cool review dude!. What makes you think the writers will bring Mewtwo back?

Soniman

Break the Limit
You could watch this episode without having watched M01 and Mewtwo Returns and nothing would change. Heck, you could even replace Mewtwo with any other strong Pokémon and nothing would have changed since its connection with Mew is barely touched upon.

Pure marketing, again.
It's baffling how the anime staff thinks at times when it comes to stuff like this.

"Hey guys it's Mewtwo! Remember Mewtwo! From the Mewtwo movie?!The first one AND the one we just remade? AAAAAND we got the original voice actor back? AAANNNND he's going to meet Ash again!

But we won't mention any of that in the episode or bring up Mewtwos past or anything, they won't even recognize each other beyond an extremely vague look!"

Never ever ever listen to the anime staff when they try marketing stunts like this because they will always burn you lol

Last edited: