1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Battling on Thin Ice! (809)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: XY' started by Serebii, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

Decisive Battle on Ice! Pikachu VS Vivillon!

After his loss due to Viola's interesting battle techniques, Ash has started training with Viola's sister, Alexa. The training specific to withstanding the Gust move from Vivillon and Surskit's Ice Arena. After the training, it is time for Ash's Gym Battle rematch against Viola, but will his training have worked or will he be suffering another loss at the hands of this Gym Leader?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

2. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Please make sure to refer to the announcement in this section, and make an attempt to avoid basing your understanding of the episode on erroneous translations.

3. playerking

playerking Not in the mood.

The episode starts off with a recap of the last episode.

Then the opening starts.

The episode then replays what happened at the end of the last episode with Serena talking to Ash.

It appears Ash doesn't remember Serena and she is a bit sad.

Noivern, Helioptile and Dedenne are eating along with Alexa (I think she was there), Bonnie and Clemont on a bench under some shade.

Alex laughs for some reason and then he continues his training session.

It is now the afternoon and Ash is still training, so they decide to take a rest and have something to eat.

They go to the Santalune Pokemon Center for a meal.

Back on the battlefield, Clemont reveals another invention of his and Ash has those sparkly Bishouen eyes.

The invention is a cannon that shoots out balls of web just in order to resemble the attack Sticky Web.

The machine suddenly stops working, so Clemont goes to check it out. It goes to fire in Clemont face, so he aims it up into the sky.

The web then falls back onto the cannon and it causes the next ball of web to be stuck and it makes the invention explode.

Ash decided to bring out Froakie and use Froakie's foam as a substitute. Good thinking Ash.

Bonnie is tired or dizzy for some reason. Maybe it's too late for her.

Ash then has a chat to his Pokemon before Serena talks to him again.

It's the next day and Ash re-challenges Viola to a gym battle.

Violva brings out Surskit and Ash chooses Pikachu to battle first.

Surskit shoots some sticky webs and Pikachu dodges them and uses Thunderbolt, but Surskit uses Protect.

Surskit goes to use Ice Beam, but Ash tells Pikachu to stop it or block it and Pikahcu hops onto Surskit and tries to redirect the attack.

The Ice Beam then freezes the trees on the outside of the battlefield and the battlefield as well.

Dare Da? Helioptile.

Surskit then circles around Pikahcu and goes to fire an attack.

Pikachu ends up winning the battle and Violva recalls Surskit and then then Ash recalls Pikachu for Fletchling.

Viola then brings out her Vivillon.

Fletchling goes in for an attack but Vivillon uses Pshychic and forces Fletchling to stay stuck on he ground.

Fletchling uses Razor Wind and Vivillon uses Solarbeam, which knocks Fletchling out.

Ash chooses Pikachu again.

Ash says something that Serena remembers Ash saying to her as a kid.

Vivillon fires a SolarBeam and Pikachu uses Thunderbolt.

Serena shouts from the sidelines and gives Ash a confidence boost.

Pikachu uses Electro Ball to clear the field of that green gas.

Vivillon's wings have a bit of ice on them and then Pikachu fires a Thunderbolt which knocks Vivillon out, making Ash the winner.

The referee brings the badge over to Ash and Ash takes it, poses and then puts it in his new badge case which I don't think I've seen before. It looks a bit big.

Ash and co. then say goodbye to Alexa and Violva as they head towards their next gym.

Ash asks Serena something and she is sort of shocked/confused.

To be continued.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu Cutest Riolu around!

And Ash doesn't remember Serena. Haha!

Oh man! The Victory Road theme is awesome!

5. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

Conclusion:
    - Pikachu beats Surskit
    - Pikachu gets to retreat
    - Fletchling falls to Stun Spore+Solar Beam
    - Pikachu survives Stun Spore because he's Pikachu
    - Vivillon somehow gets frostbite on the back of its body
    - It can therefore die to Electro Ball...

Everything but the last battle was realistic, but I still don't like why Fletchling had to lose.

On another note, why the heck did Froakie smack Fletchling that hard after the training? It was a freaking sucker punch and Fletchling did look hurt, but nobody picked up on it.. I wonder what the issue is there..

6. Lucario At Service

Lucario At Service Calm Trainer

So, on the first attempt Pikachu gets taken down without a win, while Fletchling gets one win and loses the other.

And during the re-match, Fletchling gets taken down easily without a win, whiile Pikachu sweeps Viola's whole team.

That was Sleep Powder.

7. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

Might be, Pikachu was clearly awake though while being surrounded by the cloud..

8. DaDonYordel

DaDonYordel The Gazing Eye

Battle completely blew me away. Serena was super supportive and actually managed to give Ash an idea on how to stand against that overpowered Vivillion And holy ****, using Electroball on yourself? Who knew? As for the training, a lot that was done there was foreshadowing for the battle, which was great. Bonnie also acting like a kid and easily falling asleep was nice, definitely superior to Max. Clemont is a total bro. Froakie and Fletching's character dynamic was hilarious.

Finally, of Serena's question. Ash actually knows what she is talking about but he has no recollection of who she is. It is definitely Ash from flashback, at least for me, and with that sudden flashback of her's in the middle of the gym battle after Ash said something definitely confirmed it for me. Also DAT CLIFFHANGER about Ash asking Serena what she's gonna do now (I think).

10/10 episode, never been this satisfied and excited since Railgun S Episode 5

9. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

What is up with these battles being so short lately? I am taking Playerking's summary as an example of this but I remember in Diamond and Pearl when the battles used to be so much more detailed and strategy-oriented. I really hope the battle is much more strategy-oriented than Playerking is making it sound, but since they didn't start the battle until a bit before the Dare Da!, it seems like the battles were fairly quick.

10. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

This is complete ********. Seriously the writers favoritism is astounding, so not only did Pikachu steal a battle, but also got revenge, HAH, what a joke *rolls eyes*....

Hope the supporters are happy, their precious star they all defended did exactly what we all concluded he would do.

11. JD

JD .

Well at least Fletchling got to defeat Surskit the last time... I'm kind of upset that he didn't get a win here though especially since he probably wont be used in another gym until Korrina.

12. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Also, how does Ash forget about Serena? I mean assuming he is 10 years old and you gotta imagine that he bandaged Serena when he was 6. I know time works differently in the Pokémon world but that probably still wasn't that long ago. I would understand if he was 20 or something but he's 10 so it really wasn't that long ago.

13. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

It was somewhat strategy oriented. Just not in DP level. It was better than or on par with many BW battles. The battle was awesome, I can give you that. What DP lacked and what XY battles have are the details on the field effects.

And Rob, don't embarrass yourself :p

14. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Well, if we are looking at the first gym battles for each region, the Roark arc is hard to top. We even got to see Paul battle Roark! XY still has plenty of time to get DP's strategy-oriented battles back.

15. DaDonYordel

DaDonYordel The Gazing Eye

It is definitely better than what Playerking makes it sound.

16. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

I thought this battle was as good as Roark's battle. Roark's battle used 3 Pokemon and had more battles. That's why it was longer.

Yup.

17. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

I'm not ^_^

The people who defended him and pulled the its only the first gym crap did.

I hope now people will wake up and realize that NOTHING good can come from Pikachu stealing every battle and it's mother.

18. Animefan145

Animefan145 Well-Known Member

I was hoping Fletchling could do more, but oh well, at least it had a win in the first battle before losing in the rematch. And yeah, its Pikachu, its always the favorite, just curious if Fletchling appeared when Ash did the "I got a Badge" pose. At least sounds like Ash learned a lot from the last battle so was more prepared for Viola's tactics.

Too bad it sounds like it ends on another unanswered question moment, but glad to hear Serena's cheering might have helped. Now to see how the group finally fully forms with Serena probably officially joining soon (doesn't sound like she has joined quite yet?).

19. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

I'll have to see it for myself when it's up.

Sounded like another shippy episode to me. Serena encouraging Ash, Ash saying something that confuses her at the end, Ash saying something during the Gym Battle that reminded Serena of their past. I knew the ship would be a big deal but they are really laying it on thick now. It's a good time to be an Amourshipper!

There is going to be complaining either way, Robert. If Fletching starred in the battle and outshined Pikachu, people would complain that Pikachu definitely reset but if Pikachu stars, people will say he's a battle hog. Unless you are suggesting he shouldn't have used Pikachu at all in this battle.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  20. zak13

zak13 New Member

in the Pokemon logic, Pikachu is like level60-70 pokemon and Gym leader probably got his pokemons at that level too so the only way to win is by his pikachu cos the rest arent experimented in battles unless the Gym leaders are a joke too and do battles with newbie pokemons.....The writers are a joke?