• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling on Thin Ice! (809)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Now THIS is a gym battle!!I have to admit that even Pikachu's battle with Surskit alone was more awesome and intense than most of the gym battles we've seen in Unova

Pokegirl0102

OMG i just love Pokemon the Series XY each episode keeps getting better and better, Ash using his crazy strategies and Pikachu battling the way we expect it to. I hope people don't complain about Pikachu hogging all of the spotlight in this gym, Pikachu is Ash's go to pokemon and now we see why :)

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
"Ash, do you remember me?"

"Sorry babe, I have no idea who you are."

It probably would not have been as interesting if Pikachu had just steam rolled the gym as soon as they arrived. The reason Pikachu had trouble previously was because he was out of shape, therefore Ash's team performs better after going through some special training. This path of logic is sound and they did handle the battle in a pretty dramatic fashion. Thumbs up!

Vernikova

Champion

"lol, I can't even remember Koffing."

That was a satisfying battle. Kind of wish that they'd tone down that CGI background. Or, at least, make it look better than it currently does.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I personally didn't mind Pikachu being the star in this gym battle. Having Fletchling win against Surskit in the previous episode makes up for that imo. Still it was a pretty awesome battle and probably my newest favorite 1st Gym Battle episode of any saga. Vivillon's new tactic used against Fletchling was cool personally and Pikachu retaliating was pleasant to see to me.

am I the only one who guessed Vivillon's pronunciation being "Vi-Vee-on" correctly before the last episode aired?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

"No, but I'm pretty sure Electric-types can hurt Ground-types."

I didn't care much about the Gym Battle just because Pikachu stole the glory for himself, but I guess that was expected down the road just because he's been around the longest... At least the fight was good, and Viola should rethink about doing interior decorating to cripple herself.

Hey, wait a minute. Sticky Web was never used again, or did I miss something here?

I only cared much about the first half more than anything. The interaction between all four characters were very good.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

"lol, I can't even remember Koffing."

That was a satisfying battle. Kind of wish that they'd tone down that CGI background. Or, at least, make it look better than it currently does.

He has seen like 5 hundred pokemon since. Give him a break.

This was like the first time he actually trained since DP. Kinda funny how early XY Ash is a better battler then League BW Ash. Glad to see the kid is back to using strategies. Really hope we get more training episodes since those are some of the most memorial for me. Like Treecko learning bullet seed and Buizel learning ice punch.

So far the group vibe feels the best since AG. In DP Brock was the outcast and in BW it felt Ash and Cilan clicked way more than Ash and Iris or Cilan and Iris.. Hope the good vibe keeps going and we get not just Serena and Bonnie/Celemont and Ash moments but Clemont/Serena,Serena/Ash etc

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
He has seen like 5 hundred pokemon since. Give him a break.

This was like the first time he actually trained since DP. Kinda funny how early XY Ash is a better battler then League BW Ash. Glad to see the kid is back to using strategies. Really hope we get more training episodes since those are some of the most memorial for me. Like Treecko learning bullet seed and Buizel learning ice punch.
Also hoping to see more creative improvisations and move combinations like in DP *cough*Use Quick Attack to increase Electro Ball's Power*cough*

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Also hoping to see more creative improvisations and move combinations like in DP *cough*Use Quick Attack to increase Electro Ball's Power*cough*

Yeah was weird when Dawn used counter shield when she was battling Cilan and Ash never thought about using it at the league.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was an ok episode. It was not one of Ash's better gym battles, though him having Pikachu to use Electro Ball on himself shocked me (no pun intended).

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
So Ash doesn't remember Serena. Kind of anticlimactic considering they left a cliffhanger for it.

Moving swiftly on, I thought the training part of this episode was fantastic but not for the training itself, it was how the gang interacted with each other. First of all Serena, I get the vibe that Serena looks up to Ash and she was inspired the first time she met him and I look forward to this unfolding over the coming episodes. Clement was clement and I still love his inventions and remember the future is now thanks to science! Bonnie getting tired made me smile, it reminded me that she is still young and these little details always make me smile. Finally, Ash was his usual determined self and this continued into the battle with his fighting spirit and excellent strategies.

The battle was awesome too. We saw Ash's training being used but Viola's new twist by using sleep powder posed a new threat to his victory and he had to tell Pikachu to attack himself in order to win the battle. The Bug Badge (love the look of the badge case by the way) will serve as a reminder for this fantastic battle and I hope this sets up for more awesome gym battles ahead.

Great episode. On to the next one!

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
So Ash doesn't remember Serena. Kind of anticlimactic considering they left a cliffhanger for it.

i think we all know about that, dude if you try to watch the japanese first then you'll already know about this.

and the next episode is the most interesting for all of us where ash gets to remember serena. we'll see how they will do the dub version for xy 7.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
i think we all know about that, dude if you try to watch the japanese first then you'll already know about this.

and the next episode is the most interesting for all of us where ash gets to remember serena. we'll see how they will do the dub version for xy 7.

Not everyone watches the japanese version. Some of us don't like the vocies

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Not everyone watches the japanese version. Some of us don't like the vocies
Actually, because of all of the changes the dub made in the BGM, I also started not listen to the RAW Japanese audio since I wouldn't be able to enjoy the dub episodes as much as I do now if I knew the incredible music that was being replaced for impractical reasons

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
An okay episode. I'm glad Ash won this time.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It'll be...

Unacceptable.

If he loses again in this league, however.

Lemongrab reference?

If Unova did the first games plot with Plasma those guys could of came in for the final plot during the league cancelling it which would be interesting.

As for Ash winning or at least doing well in the league is it just me or is Ash showing more skill in his first Kalos gym battle compared to his first Unova one? I swear we did not get a single training ep in Unova. From what I can tell the focus on training helps him in the long run. He did battles out of gyms and training in both AG and DP and the results showed. But I can't help but feel battles took a back seat compared to other series in Unova. so glad to see them making him train and hope it keeps going.