• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling on Thin Ice! (809)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Lemongrab reference?

If Unova did the first games plot with Plasma those guys could of came in for the final plot during the league cancelling it which would be interesting.

As for Ash winning or at least doing well in the league is it just me or is Ash showing more skill in his first Kalos gym battle compared to his first Unova one? I swear we did not get a single training ep in Unova. From what I can tell the focus on training helps him in the long run. He did battles out of gyms and training in both AG and DP and the results showed. But I can't help but feel battles took a back seat compared to other series in Unova. so glad to see them making him train and hope it keeps going.

1) That wasn't a Lemongrab reference or whatever that is. It's a reference to Agnes in the sig I'm using now.

2) Unova did have some training episodes. However, it suddenly got lazy with them at the end where training results were all off-screen.

3) I agree that Kalos Ash is starting with the right foot, but let's hope Pikachu doesn't hog the wins in the next Gym battle.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I think it'd be interesting to see a Bradnon-esque losing streak against a gym leader. Just to see how'd they have him react this time around.

I think it would be interesting too but it would only work against a gym leader with a complete dominant type advantage or one that owns a legendary (or possibly a mega.)

Pokegirl0102

Like others have stated i too don't watch the japanese version since i don't understand the language and hate reading subs, so please refrain from posting spoilers, i have the patience to actually follow the dub

Haunter ゴースト

I watch both the Jap and Dub.

It was a good dubbing of the episode, however one thing put me off and it was at the very start. Ash laughs when Serena encourages him to keep training, and at this moment during the laugh he snorts. Yes, Sarah Natochenny snorts during this line and jesus christ it's off putting. Either they intentionally kept it in thinking it would be ok, or they just couldn't be bothered to re do the laugh.

Probably the latter knowing the dub, but yeah this was really annoying, it made me cringe. Did anybody else notice this?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

It was a good dubbing of the episode, however one thing put me off and it was at the very start. Ash laughs when Serena encourages him to keep training, and at this moment during the laugh he snorts. Yes, Sarah Natochenny snorts during this line and jesus christ it's off putting. Either they intentionally kept it in thinking it would be ok, or they just couldn't be bothered to re do the laugh.

Probably the latter knowing the dub, but yeah this was really annoying, it made me cringe. Did anybody else notice this?

What's wrong with snorting while laughing though? Maybe TPCi kept it in thinking it was natural. I mean if Ash was amused then it would seem like a normal thing for him to do.

Everlasting

Everything stays.

I noticed that too, and I have to admit, I want to kill myself everytime I hear Ash laughing in the dub. It is seriously childish and annoying. I have nothing against the small snort, though. His laugh in the original japanese version was absolutely cool, masculine and normal, while his voice in the dub... eehw. And that, not only in XY, but ever since Sarah took over (maybe not in late AG).
I prefered the Sinnoh dub voice. It was the best out of all Ash's, honestly.

Last edited:

Honestly, I think that was probably like the worst dub voice in English Ash has had: that made him sound 25 and like he was smoking cigarettes continuously while having a sore throat...yet, he's a 10 year old boy-- objectively horrible right there. The second worst is definitely Ash's voice in the Kalos Dub, though: always sounds angry, way too old, and...smh.

Then again, none of the English dub voices for the main characters with previous 4Kids English voices have fit since the recast occurred a long time ago in my eyes: if anything, I was fond of the way Veronica Taylor voiced him.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I noticed that too, and I have to admit, I want to kill myself everything I hear Ash laughing in the dub. It is seriously childish and annoying. I have nothing against the small snort, though. His laugh in the original japanese version was absolutely cool, masculine and normal, while his voice in the dub... eehw. And that, not only in XY, but ever since Sarah took over (maybe not in late AG).

Well Ash is a kid so it's not wrong for him to laugh like one. I didn't see the dub of this episode yet though, but I am curious, did they remove all the original BGM? I predict that the answer is going to be yes, but I just want to make sure so that I can decide whether or not to watch the English version.

Well Ash is a kid so it's not wrong for him to laugh like one.

I've never heard a kid with the kind of laugh Sarah does for Ash: maybe Fran the Nanny, sure, but nobody else.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Honestly, I think that was probably like the worst dub voice in English Ash has had: that made him sound 25 and like he was smoking cigarettes continuously while having a sore throat...yet, he's a 10 year old boy-- objectively horrible right there. The second worst is definitely Ash's voice in the Kalos Dub, though: always sounds angry, way too old, and...smh.

Then again, none of the English dub voices for the main characters with previous 4Kids English voices have fit since the recast occurred a long time ago in my eyes: if anything, I was fond of the way Veronica Taylor voiced him.

The sore throat was more when Sarah started voicing it in AG. It was weird. In Sinnoh, Sarah balanced a little bit but slowly became more childish in Unova. Kalos kept this voice that way, too. I really liked Veronica's job, she was doing it pretty nicely but I can't help but to think that Ash isn't 10 years old, hence why I thought Veronica's voice was not suited to the character. I wonder why Veronica stopped voicing Ash. You must know it, Dwail ?
Let's face it; Ash has nothing of a 10 years old aside of the numerous confirmations. If you were to ask me how old Ash is at first glance and without knowing anything of the Pokémon world, I'd answer 14 years old. But Sarah is not the best voicing actress for Ash, I have to agree.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
"Battling On Thin Ice!"

This episode picked up where "A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle!" left off. Serena told him that he met her at the Summer Camp in Kanto, but Ash couldn't rememed her and she seemed dissapointed, but got over it quickly enough and didn't whine or cry about it. Putting herself aside, she told him to keep focus on his training. I especially liked the moment when Ash said that he made a "rotten mess" out of the battle, but Serena said he was Awesome. Ash must have been feeling great after hearing the compliment from Serena, as he was laughing heartly. Serena quoting Ash's line "Don't give up until the end" cheered him up, which I think was a really cute Amourshipping moment. Even Alexa noticed how Serena's words cheered Ash up. Speaking of Alexa, it was nice of her helping Ash train for his rematch against Viola. The training session was interesting as well. Pikachu using its tail to stand on the ground and Fletching moving the angle of its wings to help keep flying in the air were good ways to not get blown away by Gust.

I also liked Clemont helping Ash train with new invention "Sticky-web-sticky-wicked-wacker-wonk"(lol, what a creative name). The Sticky Web machine was working so well, but the moment Clemont turned it's power to max... It EXPLODED, making everyones hair a mess! Serena didn't freak out when her hair got messed up, which made her personality different from Dawn. Anyway, Using Froakie's Frubbles to train was cool, it's clever of Ash to think of using Frubbles like that. It was adorable when Bonnie was sleep-talking, her English VA did a good job voicing her in this episode.The conversation between Ash and Serena's conversation was intersting. Serena dosen't know what's she gonna do, but from their conversation, It's clear that she will take her a long time to decide her goal.

The rematch between Ash and Viola was awesome! Pikachu managed to keep his footing by using his tail on the ice, and then he managed to knock Surskit out in a solid battle. Fletching did pretty well against Vivllion.... sadly it couldn't win because of Vivillion's Sleep Powder. Oh well, at least Fletchling did defeat Surskit in the last episode.

Vivillon's Sleep Powder almost had Pikachu too, but Ash telling Pikachu to use Electro Ball on itself saved him from losing. That was a smart strategy on Ash's part.

I liked how Ash credited his win to everyone, including Clemont for giving him the idea of pikachu hitting himself with Electro ball. clemont's invention failure in this episode isn't a failure after all.

Well Ash is a kid so it's not wrong for him to laugh like one. I didn't see the dub of this episode yet though, but I am curious, did they remove all the original BGM? I predict that the answer is going to be yes, but I just want to make sure so that I can decide whether or not to watch the English version.

No, they didn't remove all of the original BGM this time. 4 pieces of original BGM were kept in the English dub of this episode.

Last edited:

Pokegirl0102

If the BGM what dictates whether or not you watch the show then just stick to the subs, i happen to like the BGM TPCI plays and i like that each Kalos pokemon have their own little theme music

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Funny that Ash still doesn't recognize Serena just yet.

As for the gym battle, it was nice to see all the training Ash did, and it really helped put him in the right foot on how to deal against Viola. Good to see Pikachu being the star here, too.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Well... Other than the gym battle the only thing that really cought my attention in the last 2 eps was the conversations between Ash and Serena and the only thought going in and out of my mind while watching them.... Shipping Shipping Shipping...

SilverFox

So sly
It makes no sense that he forgets what Pokemon are. Basically, EVERYONE in that world should at least remember the names. They live for that.

You're a Pokemon Professor if you can memorize their dex numbers.

Can you memorize all the names of all the animals and plant life on our planet?