• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling: The be all and end all?

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
They don't use weapons because it's a children's TV show/video game, and that kind of stuff gets BANNED. (see number two)

As for a logical game reason, it's been stated before; losing a battle is like losing your honor somewhat; you have to surrender to the winner. You're also contending with someone with giant and fierce pogeymanz. Again, as stated before, no one's going to be too quick to try and get past a Charizard.

Bank$

Honestly though... How else would you stop them in pokemon? Call Officer Jenny? lol

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The Pokemon Battling System relies on personal integrity, or at least the willingness to admit defeat.

Seriously though, almost nothing in Pokemon makes sense if you try and apply common sense to it.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
As others said it's a bit hard to tie someone up if their Charizard or Garchomp is rearing over them ready to slash into them like a turkey ham.

Now with a gun sure a Caterpie or Butterfree would be shot dead (If you could fire before Butterfree uses Gust or Whirlwind) but if you shot a Snorlax well it probably wouldn't die fast enough as it body slams you into a pancake. See where I am going with this?

Now the player fainting is just stupid. They should have made you get trapped in a cage and have to find your way back up (Your Pokemon restored mostly). In the Anime they are captured or left alone to die but in the games it's straight to the :pokemon Center and it's not like you can report to it Jenny in the games.

Edit: Also most Pokemon can use long range attacks before you can move on them too

Illusione-Tempus

But I wonder why villains actually do that? They could cheat and go tie you up after we defeated the boss.

But another question: Why Grunts battle with fairly lame Pokemon? It gets pretty boring battling wimpy Pokemon over and over again right?

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Because, rather lamely, it's a children's game! If it somehow managed to turn into Call of Duty, I am sure Nintendo and GameFreak would get flamed to hell by the media and parents. HOWEVER! It is possible that Giovanni does not want any of his thugs being reported for murder, as it would bring too much hate from the MILLIONS of people who have pokemon around the world. If they simply resort to theft and minor vandalism not as many people would know about them. ((Hense in the anime, when someone new is introduced to Team Rocket, the new character is like "FTW?! Who are they? Why are they doing that?!"))

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
You die in many many games in existance, but you always get the chance to respawn/continue. The 'revive-at-Pokemon-centre' is just Pokemon's version.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
I've always asked this question before; Pokémon Quartz, my fan game, expands heavily on this idea.

The basic premise is that, besides the regular trainers' code of conduct (locking eyes = battle), you are absolutely required to pay out some money or perform a favour or deed for somebody who beats you. It's a rule of highest importance (a religious rule, if you will, but we don't want to get into THAT, do we...?).

Team Vaisseau (Vaisseau is Rocket in French) is very notorious because its members refuse to give money to the people who beat them. This is considered unacceptable, so others look down on them as evil.

Vernikova

Champion
Mi10ticFan said:
But another question: Why Grunts battle with fairly lame Pokemon? It gets pretty boring battling wimpy Pokemon over and over again right?

They're grunts. They're just low ranking members that really wouldn't deserve battling with Pokémon such as Dragonite or Typhlosion.

Anyway, it's been said many times already, you have Pokémon on your side and they would already be out I would assume since you just battled them.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I suppose if Giovanni's pokemon are K. O.'d and yours aren't that puts him at a disadvantage. But what about this scenario: His pokemon are fainted, yours aren't, but then he whips out a handgun, which can kill your pokemon and you? Yeah, I guess mewtwo could block it, but if you did have a level one hundred magikarp, or even charizard, he could shoot them and you dead easily.

Eh, I guess this all comes from most of my pokemon discussion being with my gun-adoring Californian cousin. He believes that gun beats pokemon every time (except mewtwo).

But assuming he doesn't have a handgun, he is in no position to try to tie you up and gag you.

But come to think of it, I suppose, realistically, if he beat your pokemon, he would be able to tie you up and gag you. But then, no game, and no game = no fun, and no fun = no sales, and no sales = no pokemon.

pokemaster001

fire breathing monster > guns > humans

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School

pokemaster001

JIMMAH!!!!

Pickin' a winner
BlitzBlast said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemaster001
fire breathing monster < guns < humans

EPIC FAIL.

10charlimit

Okay, that was pretty funny.

Well, what if the hero just one really really tough ten year old? Like, body-builder-on-even-more-steroids tough. Why hasn't anyone mentioned that yet? Huh? HUH?! It's a conspiracy I tells you!

Last edited:

Chansey hunter

Expert Photoshopist
The reason they give up after a pokemon battle is simple: To avoid person-to-person combat.
In kid's games from japan (and most kid's tv shows) the characters often use objects to battle each other as a way of avoiding direct violence towards another human being, thus making it "suitable" to kids. Good examples are trading card games/anime and spinning top themed anime/games.
So really they give up after a battle simply because the creators wanted to make the game suitable for kids.

squeezcheese

Well think of it like this

Giovvani: Very well, you have defeated me. But you didn't plan on me bring my gun! *reaches for gun, charizard automatically uses flamethrower, burns Giovvani to a crisp*

OR

Giovanni: Very well you have defeated me. But you didn't plan for my GUN! *shoots, doesn't realize Alakazam has used light screen/ barrier/ protect. bullet bounces off and hits Giovanni in the stomach, killing him*

OR

Giovanni: Very well, you have defeated me, but you didn't plan on my GUN! *reaches for gun, points it at you*
Is that a Clefairy? Really? Dang how did I lose to that?
You: You made me do this. Clefairy use metronome!!
*clefairy waggles its fingers, then uses rest*
Giovanni: You know what, forget it. Your pink thing isnt worth shooting, I have a headache, I need to lie down. Feel free to take a few masterballs on your way out.

LiteBlue-

Master of the Ground
Let's just go with the simple, yet precise theory of having a dragon in their goddamn face while they don't.

defno

I find it interesting that some people would say that it's respect.
I had never thought of it that way but I guess it could actually make some sense.

squlicky4

I think its all down to respect for the trainer and his pokemon they having been traveling and working hard together there bonds are tighter then any so to tie you up is disrespectful and there is no purpose to you could just get out by using a pokemons move