• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the Generation Gap! (563)

wind21

Oh wow, talk about a fantastic episode.

Merry Christmas, too! It's a Christmasy day, too; just perfect.

The contest battle b/w Dawn and Lyla is just fantastic. Delcatty is just much more fun to watch than Zoey's Glameow, even though they both use some of the same moves, such as Shockwave. Even so, the battle felt really unique, and was spectacular at that. It starts off with a bang with Delcatty's substitute, and never loses steam from there. Excellent.

Ampibom's use of swift/or double hit (lame note-taking, I know) to stop Delcatty's 2nd use of Sing is what gives Ash his inspiration for how to stop Fantina's hypnosis, I suppose.

Okay, 2 little fun facts in this one. Attract is a move used a great deal in the next region, especially by Ash, believe it or not. Second, and my personal favorite part of the episode, is the scene where Lila explains her real reason for entering again, to battle Dawn. The looks on Ash's, Brock's, and Dawn's faces when they hear that...I think that's amazing and a great show of character from them. They're a little disturbed, whereas just before they were excited and interested to hear about Lila's new motivation to compete and maybe enter the grand festival. The kids (are they kids?) don't say anything, and I don't think there was anything proper for them to say. But they are put off a little upon hearing that, and Johanna's laughing at it doesn't make them feel any better, I think. What's that really mean...To me, I think, growing up, one of the shocking things about the world you see is that adults aren't quite what you expect them to be. They have "petty" motivations, or pride, or just traits that are just so surprising to you. I think one of the biggest things about growing up is that you realize that adults aren't that much different from you. They have egos, and you (maybe) start to realize that they aren't always the people you run to get advice from, since they maybe don't have your values. I'm probably not saying this the right way, but that's one reason why I was so excited with Cynthia's entrance into the anime, in the way she beat one of the members of the elite 4 so easily, the same member who "bossed" Dawn around a few episodes before and acted like he knew everything. The moral of these episodes, I don't think, is that there is a right way and not a right way, and when these adult characters make pts, this is necessarily the right way. The world is much more complex than that, and there are few things that can be categorized as clearly right or wrong. Lila's motivation for entering the contest is not wrong, not at all; but it's a little disturbing to Ash and the gang, and it's not something they would do. They don't comment on it (and I don't think they should), but they are aware of it, and I think that makes all the difference, even if nothing comes of it.

Sorry, one more thing. I think the most important idea in this episode is where Dawn starts to get nervous about the importance of the final, and then slaps herself gently, thinking that even if she loses she'll make adjustments and try again. This isn't the end, and her adventures will continue.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. The Contest Battle between Dawn and lyla was great. Ambipom vs Delcatty was a very good matchup for the contest battle. It was great to have a rival of Dawn's Mother's in the contest, not to mention that Dawn actually beat her to win her 3rd ribbon! Delcatty's Substitute move was unexpected and very impressive to see. Ambipom's use of Swift as shield to stop Delcatty's 2nd time at using the Sing move was very impressive. It was cool to see Cherrim for the 1st time. Buneary's Ice Skating with her ears Appeal was very cool.

80/100

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I loved that flashback of Lila and Johanna's Contest battle when they were younger. I also loved seeing Wallace's clothes on display when Dawn went shopping. Lila's appeal with Cherrim was really pretty and I was also impressed by Jessie's floating appeal with Yanmega, although her stealing Fantina's look made me cringe. Ambipom vs. Delcatty was great.

I feel like this is the first time that i've seen the cute charm ability in the show. I can't remember if it's been shown before...

JudySpell

Banned
Lila losing to Dawn seemed strange since Lila was supposedly an old rival of Johanna's so you'd think she had more experience than she displayed. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how Lila was Dawn's mom's old rival, plus Jessie dressing up as Fantina was cool. Too bad she failed the appeal round ha ha. ^^; I liked Ambipom vs Delcatty, especially seeing Cute Charm activate. :3

My favorite scene was when we saw Jessie imitate Fantina. Lila was a cool Coordinator too and I liked seeing her use a Cherrim and Delcatty. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Cherrim was cool to see and it was nice to see the Cute Charm ability take effect for the first time. Dawn pulled off a pretty cool Contest battle and win against her mom's enemy.~

Alloutℯ

Banned
I liked seeing both Attract and Sleep status be overcome in this battle. And Jessie copies Fantina by literally mimicking Fantina's fashion sense? Let's hope she never does something like this ever again.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Lila was a cool Coordinator too and I liked seeing her use a Cherrim and Delcatty. :)

I was pleased that she owned a Cherrim as well cuz we hadn't seen one showcased before in Dp. As for Delcatty, we had seen several in the past so I kind of wish Cherrim had been used in the battle round instead.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
As for Delcatty, we had seen several in the past so I kind of wish Cherrim had been used in the battle round instead.

Eh, Cherrim didn't seem like a battler, so I get why Lila used her Delcatty for the battle portion of the Contest. Delcatty has a much more diverse moveset, too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked seeing Ayako and Yuri competing against each other as kids, and the fact that Hikari's main hurdle at the Kannagi Contest was Yuri seemed ironic. I chuckled when Satoshi's team fell asleep during training, and Hikari's fluffy hair accessories looked adorable. Musashi took her Melissa idolization too far, but I liked how Eteboth kept falling for Enekororo's Cute Charm.

Vulpicks

Another battle Dawn didn't really deserve to win. How on earth did Yuri lose so many points after that dominating lead from a couple hits? How do you win a contest battle after being asleep and infatuated for half the battle?

Getting harder to take Dawn's contest battles seriously anymore. In the last two it's almost as if she's been blatantly favored by the judges due to plot power. I'd rather watch Jessie battle because her wins seem more deserved. Too bad she still seems to not quite understand how to do appeals effectively.

Aside from that the episode is nice.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Another battle Dawn didn't really deserve to win. How on earth did Yuri lose so many points after that dominating lead from a couple hits? How do you win a contest battle after being asleep and infatuated for half the battle?

I tend to find many flaws with Hikari's Contest battles, yet this one wasn't too bad from my point of view. Eteboth's victory happened too suddenly, yet since Enekororo seemed physically weaker than Eteboth, the win was justified.

Daizy

I call you honey
So Delcatty's Cute Charm struck twice and it's a good thing that Ambipom had battle experience, otherwise Dawn would have lost this. That Swift usage was key though in this battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Frankly, I wish that Ayako had shown up in the flesh to witness Yuri versus Hikari first hand. That would've been a nice shake up from just seeing Satoshi and Takeshi in the stands.

Scorbunnie

Lyla seemed really young for somehow who was Johanna's rival but maybe she only looked that way because Johanna always looked like she was in her late 50s.

Dawn winning didn't feel like something worth celebrating because the win felt cheap and like a gift to Dawn.

vondecayle

Ambipom’s last contest victory and it was a good one!
That gigantic wall of swift at the end was awesome!
Lila was a great character of the day and her design is nice.
Delcatty’s substitute was a welcome change of strategy and it was good that they remembered cute charm as well.