• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
after looking at the pics, there's only one thing i have to nitpick at.

Ash...if Oshawott's water gun couldn't block hydro pump the first time, what makes you think it will work now? *rolls eyes.*

Everything else was great, Clay throwing a tantrum after Palpitoad went down and Excadrill being like "Why won't you die!" when Horn Drill failed to ko Roggenrola before it evolved was neat.

finally, lol Pikachu wanting to go in at the Krok, definite foreshadowing there.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
What a great gym battle. Lots of awesome and fluid animation, one of the best looking evolution scenes ever! And a really cool new animation for Sandstorm which finally showcases it as a weather effect.
Not sure why Ash used Sandstorm vs. Excadrill though? Dose he not know its Abilities and that its immune to its damaging effects or was it stated to be used for a valid reason, i.e. for the Rock type defensive boost?

Only two major faults where...
1. Too many Rock Smashes lately, has it replaced Brick Break as the go to Fighting type move?
2. Reused animations from Ash's Palpitoad.

However all in all an awesome episode, and then the ending..... SPOILERS!!!

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Damn, I'm really freaking unlucky latelly, everytime its a big episode I fall asleep, serve me rigth to not talk to 3 people bu visitor message till 4 am xD.

Saw the pictures on filb and the gym looks great and definetly the best in Ishhu.

What I liked

- Pikachu reacting to Krokorok
- Oshawott vs Krokorok seemed to be an awesome battle
- Oshawott high fiving Satoshi and Pikachu was one of the cutest things ever
- I actually predicted most fight right, including Snivy getting Horn Drilled cool
- Boldore looked pretty awesome and I'm glad it got to do more then just Rock Smashing and winning.

Will watch later when its available to download but from the picture seems like a great episode.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Apparently Boldore did use Rock Blast, but apparently, it wasn't at the bit where people thought it was.

Looks like we were both wrong to an extent.. However, I said that the manga might've been wrong, not saying that it absolutely was going to be. You however was adamant that it wasn't going to learn Rock Blast! :p

Damn, I'm really freaking unlucky latelly, everytime its a big episode I fall asleep, serve me rigth to not talk to 3 people bu visitor message till 4 am xD.

Saw the pictures on filb and the gym looks great and definetly the best in Ishhu.

What I liked

- Pikachu reacting to Krokorok
- Oshawott vs Krokorok seemed to be an awesome battle
- Oshawott high fiving Satoshi and Pikachu was one of the cutest things ever
- I actually predicted most fight right, including Snivy getting Horn Drilled cool
- Boldore looked pretty awesome and I'm glad it got to do more then just Rock Smashing and winning.

Will watch later when its available to download but from the picture seems like a great episode.

You and I both pal.. :p Serves me right for staying up till at least 4AM.. :p

gliscor&yanmega

Only seen the pictures and I'm already in love with this episode. Can't wait to watch it.

Not surprised Ash won...considering it was already confirmed when the episode was announced...

It was interesting to see Pikachu getting ready to battle Krokorok, I wonder if it had to do with Sunglasses Krokorok or it just wanting to battle, hoping for the former.

The gym match ups went exactly how I figured they would, I'm not crazy about the way it happened(With Ash winning then Clay winning then Ash winning the Clay winning and so on), I do like a little mixing up, but I'm not hating on it.

Everyone got a win here which is nice. Not sure what was with Oshawott spinning around about(I assume it was to get rid of Sandstorm), but it looked like a cool strategy on Ash's part, kind of reminded me of Counter Shield. Lost to Palpitoad after Rock Smash, as I figured.

Snivy had an easy win again Palpitoad thanks to Attract. Ended up losing to Excadrill.

Roggenrola evolves and beats Excadrill, I think it's Sturdy ability was used here too, which is cool.

The first part of the episode was rather funny, Ash with of sack of plants, following some guy who looks...odd...in an elevator...going underground...Stupid mind thinking about this kind of stuff :p.

EDIT: Oh and little Clay :3...well he looked kind of ugly but whatever back story is back story.

Last edited:

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Looks like we were both wrong to an extent.. However, I said that the manga might've been wrong, not saying that it absolutely was going to be. You however was adamant that it wasn't going to learn Rock Blast! :p

Yeah, true, but there was no proof before this episode aired, that it would learn Rock Blast, since it was just a new evolution sequence.

If I saw a preview of it actually using the move, I wouldn't have been as adamant, on it not using it in this episode for the first time.

Anyway, nice episode.

Oshawott uses some cool techniques in my opinion. Like it clearing away the Sandstorm and it shooting itself up using Water Gun. And its high five was cute.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I also liked that Pikachu also reacted to Excadrill, I was almost sure they would fight again but now I'm sure of it.

harsh551

pokemon master
a nice battle..
each win for oshawott,snivy,boldore....
snivy once again uses attract,and win but no devlopment at all..

DragonTrainerBigRed

<No wall can stop me
I liked seeing all three of Ash's Pokemon get one win each. And it was kinda funny how Clay reacted to Snivy's rather easy victory.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
(If you get the feeling that a whopping eight posts have been deleted since the creation of this thread, you're correct. I thought peeps knew by now that posts made before the episode even starts airing would be deleted without comment :p)

'Kay, first of all...

NOES ;_____________;

The sweet, squishy adorable voice of Inuko Inuyama thrown aside in favor of the so-overused-it-causes-heartburn voice of Unsho Ishizuka. I'd expected Roggenrola to get a VA swap upon evolution, but did it have to be this guy? Really? Oh well, I still have Swadloon. Don't let me down, voice directors or whoever decides this stuff >(

On to more pleasant aspects... loved this Gym battle. Easily the best one in BW so far, as many have said. The animation played a major part in this, but also the script, which was a billion times better than the last Gym battle's... despite the fact that it was written by the same guy. Ash can be goofy and endearing in nearly any kind of episode and it wouldn't be OOC, but in Gym battles, he should take himself and his opponent seriously, not stumble from victory to victory following the "I'll just shut my eyes, flail about wildly and see if I knocked anything down" principle.

Many people like to think Ash's just stupid all around, but the ironic part about his character is that, when it comes to his main activity, he's anything but stupid. The Elesa battle only reflected that quirk minimally, while this time, the scriptwriter seemed to have acknowledged that yes, Ash is allowed (and supposed) to use his head during battles after all. He used type advantages twice because he thought them sensible and the one time he didn't, he still had something specific in mind which turned out to work in the end. Yeah, that's more like it.

Oshawott VS Krokorok was a good fight and contained a good mix between struggles at the beginning and badass overpowering at the end. Has Oshawott always looked this chubby? I wanted to squish it the whole time <3 Its subsequent loss against Palpitoad was credible as well. IIRC it took three more hits despite already being weakened from the previous fight; that's tremendous progress compared to its Lenora days.

I didn't mind the shortness of Snivy VS Palpitoad that much. Sure, it was a little bit too similar to the fight against Servine, but it was interesting to see a Gym Leader having to pay for his cockiness for once, not Ash. I lol'd when Clay flat-out yelled that he didn't like Ash, simply because he did something unexpected by not charging in head-first ("LIKE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO, ARGH!"), but using one of those evil tricks called Attract.

As for Roggenrola/Boldore VS Excadrill, I would have liked them to use Roggenrola's extraordinary hearing ability to dodge at least some of the underground!Drill Runs, so it didn't take as absurdly many hits as it actually did. Oh well, Roggy's super-defensive skills can be forgiven considering 1) it was previously known for being able to take hits, which was mentioned in the episode multiple times, and didn't just magically become a tank and 2) they let Horn Drill work on it in turn, which had no business getting used against a Pokémon with Sturdy (if my game memory doesn't completely fail me, that is). Lastly, I loved the deadly silence before/during the evolution and of course, the evolution animation itself.

Last edited:
I also liked that Pikachu also reacted to Excadrill, I was almost sure they would fight again but now I'm sure of it.

Pikachu will fight Clay's Excadrill?