1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Rival Destinies' started by Serebii, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sSerenity

sSerenity Well-Known Member

I like the episode but :
    - Clay was too rude during the battle, I hated it !
    - Snivy's win was too cheap : she could easily win against Palpitoad without relying on Attract, Leaf Storm, Leaf Blade are both powerful grass types which can destroy a Palpitoad
    - Roggenrola defense : Ok for Horn Drill + Rapid Spin, but all this Drill Run .... seriously !

(The more I see a Palpitoad, the more I think it's the better species of 5th gen !)

2. Chimchar15

Chimchar15 Well-Known Member

Opinion much? I liked all the gym matches so far. Yes they weren't the best of all time but overall great. They were better so far Unova comes is second with gym matches after Hoenn.

Anyways this match was great and a real powerhouse battle. I like how so far in the Unova gym matches Ash and his Pokemon gains character development. Also the strategies that each leader uses is different an unique. I'm seriously loving best wishes.

3. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Um..yes?

Loved this battle, so much better than the other four. Nice to see Snivy finally winning, even if her battle against Palpitoad wasn't very long. Good battles too, I especially liked Krokorok against Oshawott. The new evolution animation was pretty cool too, although I don't get why they felt the need to change it.

4. XxEpicsxX

XxEpicsxX I just don't care

Ack! I can't believe I missed this gym battle. It looked like such a good one too...

5. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

after watching the subs, i think i need to add one more annoyance along with the fact Ash should've known better than to go for Water Gun vs Hydro Pump again.

Why did no one bring up Sturdy being able to nulify OHKO moves? The way the referee reacted it's like he didn't expect Roggenrola to live either but it did, would it kill them to reference WHY that happened, or are they planning to do it later in more epic fashion?

Clay calling Ash cheeky for using Attract with Snivy and not attacking head on made me laugh so hard though.

6. Chimchar15

Chimchar15 Well-Known Member

I still prefer all the matches of Unova to the ones in sinnoh. Clay was awesome in this episode and helped showed why he's one of my favorite Unova gym leaders.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong here it's just I liked each of the gym leaders' fighting styles and strategies. Each was different and unique. Some were really strategic like Lenora and others were power oriented like Clay. Overall Unova's been great withe the battles. I guess to each their own I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Banana Knight Arthur

Banana Knight Arthur NEGATIVE MINUS

The new evolution animation is not my favorite.

Not a fan here. I was partial to the way stuff evolved prior to this episode.

Best match without a doubt was Mijumaru vs. Warubiru.

8. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

Hmm Clay annoyed me as he was way too angry at some parts. Although to be fair how many of us would be angry when ingame our pokemon falls under Attract status and the opponent lands three moves on us.

Clay was kinda harsh though.

9. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

Finished watching the video version.

I think this might be one of my favorite Best Wishes episodes.

I loved seeing Korokok. I loved the way it used Dig and Bite, made the moves more interesting to me. I also like how Sandstorm seems more like it is in the game now.

I thought Clay was pretty interesting, kind of rude at times, but that's what made him interesting to me. I love how he hating on Ash using Attract, although at the same time it felt like he was just being a sore loser.

The first four or so minutes of the episode was so awkward. Bag of plants, going underground with some old who...who's laughing, meeting the boss who is given the bag of plants and tells one of his workers to hand them out...I sure got a nice couple of chuckles from that.

I enjoyed Oshawott vs Krokorok and Roggenrola/Boldore vs Excadrill, both fights were pretty interesting to watch. Snivy's battles were one sided for either it or Clay's Excadrill so it wasn't that entertaining to me, but enjoyable nonetheless. Oshawott vs Palpitoad was like Snivy's battle as well for me.

It's interesting that Ash seems to know Boldore's name before looking it up or someone telling him it, pretty sure he said "Gantle" the moment Roggenrola evolved. I liked the new animation for the evolution as well, although I felt the one that was already around was fine too, both are better then the ones from past generations in my opinion.

Overall, defiantly one of my favorite episodes of Best Wishes.

10. RickHoenn

RickHoenn Banned

All of the gym battles in Unova so far were entertaining. The only bland one IMO was Lenora's and it was not that bad...

People were spoiled with some DP battles.

11. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Agree. Agree. Agree.

I don't get why there's hate on the Gym battles so much, each one has tried a new tactic and plot device.

12. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

That has happened a lot in BW too

13. CupidKirby

CupidKirby Well-Known Member

Holy crap a lot less recycled animation than we're used to seeing, especially in Roggenrola's battle. The only recycled part I noticed in that last match was Drill Run which I was completely fine with since the sequence for that looks cool anyway. Can't say the same for Snivy. Boldore is a lot better animated than I thought it'd be too.

I think it would've been nice if the battle was stretched into an episode and a half or something. Snivy's match felt rushed and the way Clay suddenly all peaches and cream accepted Ash so readily at the end did too. Other than that the whole gym match is definetly my favorite in Unova. And as Sushi said, the script was pretty bad*ss this time around. Like around the level of Ash's goodbye to Meowth bad*ss. That might just be me though.

Other comments:
    - Heh. I love those scenes where someone starts bragging about how strong an opponent is concluding that Ash has no chance, just for Ash to silently smirk.
    - First reaction when Krokorok came out: "Ash, don't dex that please."
    - Oshawott using rain dance without actually using rain dance was pretty effing awesome. I liked how Clay called Ash's battling style "sassy" XD
    - "Don't dex that either"
    - I'm starting to wish Snivy learned a new attack or something.
    - Been a while since we've seen Ash outwardly talking about being serious about his goal rather than just attaching his "oh by the way, I want to be a Pokemon Master" onto his introduction card. About time.
    - Iris is way too obsessed with type advantages. I swear 90% of her lines this episode were "but whhhhyyy is Ash using a water/grass/rock type against a water/ground type?" Makes me wish Pikachu pwned Excadrill back at that tournament.
    - Animation for Roggenrola evolving was so epic I rewinded it five times to watch again.
    - Funny how Ash already knew that it was a Boldore before taking out his pokedex. Maybe now we can assume he dexes pokemon out of habit rather than being a forgetful idiot.
    - Did Boldore just glomp Ash? Woah, the thing shows a personality. Hope it becomes a running gag like someone else said.

I thought people here hated the constant "water is weak against fire, o noes! D: " commentary every 2 seconds. And the one time they don't do it we complain. No offense of course, but I was just glad they didn't feel the need to bring up sturdy's effects, the move Sandstorm, or what the heck attract is for the little kiddies.

14. OnceUponATime

OnceUponATime Wicked

Easily the best gym battle in Unova so far! Clay being so angry was kind of off-putting, but I loved every match!

15. Joltik-Kid

Attract is a cheap move when your not using it...So I got to sympathize with Clay on that part

16. Banana Knight Arthur

Banana Knight Arthur NEGATIVE MINUS

Yeah, true, but he should be used to all types of strategy from his opposition.

Sleep, paralysis, poison, confusion, and not limited to Attract.

The way he touted his Gamagaru as so powerful,(Yakon said), you'd expect he'd be at a level where his attacks could repel/neutralize status attacks, like Shooti's Janobii with Grass Mixer and Yakon's Doryuuzu's rapid spin.

17. Joltik-Kid

Dude, how are you suppose to counter a move you never faced before? At least the anime makes it out that the gym leaders never know anything Ash pulls.

18. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

Ash: Tsutarja! Leaf Blade! -Clay:koosaku Spin
    Ash: Vine Whip Clay : Koosaku Spin
    Ash : Leaf Storm Clay : Kossaku Spin
    Ash : Attract Clay: Koosaku Spin
    Me: FUUUUUUU

Well the gym battle was O.K,but I think they can do a better job:x

19. Adeku

Adeku Formerly Torterra14

I couldn't get over how powerful Clay's Palpitoad was. Boldore was amazingly strong as Well. I loved that little knee thing Palpitoad did, too! XD Overall, it was a good gym battle.

20. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Guys, Ash was really smart to use attract. Clay is not used to stuff like that and was getting cocky, Ash used that to his advantage. It was actually a very strategic move on Ash's part. Especially since that Sludge Bomb could of been fatal for Snivy.