• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Seeing Roggenrola take that many attacks makes me shimmer at the prospect of how long it would take even to make Gigalith feel damage. JESUS that thing is a tank.

Snivy's status as a Pokemon is starting to bug me. The fact that it was previously owned still hasn't really been addressed, and for all its 'prior experience', already knowing Leaf Blade, etc, it's being outperformed by pretty much all of its teammates. What gives?

dman_dustin

- Funny how Ash already knew that it was a Boldore before taking out his pokedex. Maybe now we can assume he dexes pokemon out of habit rather than being a forgetful idiot.

Pokedex entry and because the Pokedex has other features than just naming the Pokemon and the Pokedex entry.

Look at a Pokemon's moveset is one of them.

Which is why Ash said "And it has new moves" as he put away his Pokedex.

I like how Ash's Palpitoad was mentioned, though I kind of hate how it was insulted.

Paraphrasing:
Iris: That Palpitoad seems stronger than Ash's Palpitoad.

What Ash should respond with, if heard Iris:
Ash: Oh thank you Iris, yeah I know I have weak and pathetic, would you like to come down here with YOUR POWERFUL POKEMON and take on Clay. No, really I insist Iris, show me what I'm doing wrong.

CupidKirby

Joltik-Kid said:
Dude, how are you suppose to counter a move you never faced before? At least the anime makes it out that the gym leaders never know anything Ash pulls.

To be fair any of Ash's opponents can tell their pokemon to use attract and Ash would have no clue either, even if it's a gym leader. Imagine if they had a gym that specialized in using charm and attract...that'd be interesting.

I don't care how Snivy won. I agree she could've taken that match without it but then there's the problem that it would require a heck of a lot more effort, time, and stamina. I'm sure some of us have spammed attract before to save energy for the next battle.

Pokedex entry and because the Pokedex has other features than just naming the Pokemon and the Pokedex entry.

Look at a Pokemon's moveset is one of them.

Which is why Ash said "And it has new moves" as he put away his Pokedex.

Well yeah I know that, I watched the episode translated. I mean when he pokedexes a pokemon he's already seen and people whine that he's being forgetful and crap.

I like how Ash's Palpitoad was mentioned, though I kind of hate how it was insulted.

Paraphrasing:

Ash: Oh thank you Iris, yeah I know I have weak and pathetic, would you like to come down here with YOUR POWERFUL POKEMON and take on Clay. No, really I insist Iris, show me what I'm doing wrong.

To be honest all of Iris' lines this episode kind of pissed me off.

Snivy's status as a Pokemon is starting to bug me. The fact that it was previously owned still hasn't really been addressed, and for all its 'prior experience', already knowing Leaf Blade, etc, it's being outperformed by pretty much all of its teammates. What gives?

Snivy didn't do any worse than Oshawott.

gohan5

Irisboy

Paraphrasing:

To be honest all of Iris' lines this episode kind of pissed me off.

Really? That seemed wrong to both of you? That she was worried that Ash would have a tough time? Why do people think Iris is a malicious person? Anybody could tell she was worried not berating Ash. It's not like she spit on his freaking Palpitoad for goodness sakes, get over it. She made an observation, it's called building the drama of the moment. And I don't even know what else she could have said that pissed people off, but people will hate on a character for anything now *shrug*.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
To be fair any of Ash's opponents can tell their pokemon to use attract and Ash would have no clue either, even if it's a gym leader. Imagine if they had a gym that specialized in using charm and attract...that'd be interesting.

I don't care how Snivy won. I agree she could've taken that match without it but then there's the problem that it would require a heck of a lot more effort, time, and stamina. I'm sure some of us have spammed attract before to save energy for the next battle.
Ash half the time is a moron when it comes to attacks...plain and simple. Can't blame him though in Elesa's battle...since he probably didn't know his Palpitoad was male

I'll admit I do spam Attract if the time comes...otherwise I just attack head on

Draco-123

Dragon Master

Paraphrasing:

Saying that Clay has a more powerful Palpitoad was an insult? Iris didn't say anything negative or insulting toward or about Ash's Palpitoad all she did was say that Clay's was more powerful by comparison, which IMO is true. The Ash response you made seems kind of defensive toward a harmless statement like that.

If Iris said something like: "Wow, Ash's Palpitoad really sucks, when looking at Clay's."
That would be an insult in my book.

gohan5

Irisboy
Saying that Clay has a more powerful Palpitoad was an insult? Iris didn't say anything negative or insulting toward or about Ash's Palpitoad all she did was say that Clay's was more powerful by comparison, which IMO is true. The Ash response you made seems kind of defensive toward a harmless statement like that.

If Iris said something like: "Wow, Ash's Palpitoad really sucks, when looking at Clay's."
That would be an insult in my book.

^This. I can't believe someone actually thought she was insulting Ash. Really?

Dman_dustin said she insulted Palpitoad, not Ash.

The line kind of annoyed me as well, since I happen to like Palpitoad. Saying Clay's was better than Ash's was pointless and uncalled for.

gohan5

Irisboy
Dman_dustin said she insulted Palpitoad, not Ash.

The line kind of annoyed me as well, since I happen to like Palpitoad. Saying Clay's was better than Ash's was pointless and uncalled for.

How was that an insult to Ash's Palpitoad? Even Cilan agreed with her that Clay's Palpitoad seemed strong, so apparently Ash is traveling with two jerks this region and they're not friends. Ridiculous.

so apparently Ash is traveling with two jerks this region and they're not friends. Ridiculous.

When did I say this?

I don't know how they could consider Clay's Palpitoad stronger then Ash's...

Yeah, that's the weird thing. They hadn't even seen Clay's battling before they judged it. :/

I mean, sure, it was to build up the drama of the moment, but they could have just said Clay's Palpitoad was stronger than Oshawott due to Oshawott being weakened by Krokorok. The comment about Ash's Palpitoad made no sense.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Meh how was that insutling Dman?

Satoshi was probably not hearing anyway.

The thing did seem stronger and had a lot of endurance, it hate a lot of super effective moves before going down, plus he beat Oshawott easly but Oshawott was tired already yeah.

She basicly said that Yakon Excadrill was strong then hers too or atleast her reaction made me think that.

Thing I thing she just said that by how confident the thing looked it came out yelling lol, I even said in another thread that it looked pretty cocky/confident in his powers.

She said seems and after seeing it battle I think it was stronger then Satoshi.

gohan5

Irisboy
I don't know how they could consider Clay's Palpitoad stronger then Ash's...

Why is this such an issue? It was one line. We know Ash's Palpitoad is strong, is it that hard to imagine that a gym leader's could possibly be stronger? I mean just look at Clay's Pokemon, they all had an intimidating appearance that was different from the others of their species so far. Case in point, look how much bigger and more intimidating Clay's Excadrill was compared to Iris's. I have to agree with her, based on appearances, Clay's Palpitoad did look stronger than Ash's. Now am I saying that Ash's Palpitoad isn't strong? No not at all, it's one of his strongest Pokemon.

Thank you Pepsi, I agree Clay's Palpitoad did look to be stronger than Ash's.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Yeah, that's the weird thing. They hadn't even seen Clay's battling before they judged it. :/

This.

See Thing knows what I'm talking about, the whole comment was uncalled for.

It was insulting in my opinion , because Palpitoad beat a Stoutland, Darumaka, and a Zebstrika.

Then suddenly, Clay sends out his Palpitoad and it comes off aggressively expressive, and then Iris has the gall to say "It looks stronger than Ash's Palpitoad" despite witnessing Ash's Palpitoad at least take down TWO fully evolved presumably powerful Pokemon, and not knowing anything about Clay's Palpitoad.

Not only is it insulting to Ash's Palpitoad, it's also insulting to Burgundy and Elesa's skills as trainers.

Sure argue Burgundy sucks, but ignore that, we're talking about Elesa also here, and her Zebstrika killed the crap out of Bianca's three Pokemon, and then lost to Ash's Palpitoad, at full health.

The whole comment has a cascading insulting effect with a condescending tone.

Just because Clay's Palpitoad shows off more personality, it's suddenly a lot stronger?

I almost wish it was a 4 on 4, have Ash use his Palpitoad and one shot Clay's Palpitoad, just to shut Iris up. And then have Snivy beat Clay's hypothetical Stunfisk.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
You are over reacting, she just saw its fierceness and said that, stop exagerating, that was it, she has been complimentary of Satoshi latelly I don't get this...

Serious overreacting dman, I didn't care for her comment at all.

Draco-123

Dragon Master
@dman_dustin The thing is that she said that Clay's was stronger not that Ash's was weak. IMO, she didn't say anything negative. She never said that Ash's Palpitoad was weak, pathetic, etc. Is it really an insult to say that someone is stronger?

dman_dustin

Is it really an insult to say that someone is stronger?

It is when there's no foreknowledge of the Pokemon. If there was some actual proof (aside from an expressive personality) that Clay's Palpitoad was stronger than Ash's Palpitoad than no it wouldn't be insulting to say that.

However if (real life example), I was known for being stronger than people who looked stronger than me because they were muscular or bigger, or even has some show of being stronger. Then I go up against someone who is roughly the same body size as me. I would find it insulting if one of my friends said that my opponent looked/was stronger than me.

So I freaking took out the Hulk (marvel comics) in my last match with just my index finger and one arm tied behind my back, and yet when I'm against someone who looks exactly like me (in body size, and shape), suddenly they're stronger just because they are more expressive in their personality. I would definitely take offense to that.

Because to me it only makes me think my friends have no faith in my ability to beat my opponent.

Now that example can't be applied largely to the Palpitoad, since Ash's Palpitoad wasn't even battling Clay's but still, to call out Ash's Palpitoad out like that really was uncalled for.

I would've accepted the following replacements for what Iris said:

1. That Palpitoad looks really strong, and looks like it has far more experience than Ash's Palpitoad (which should be true considering Clay is likely 5 times OLDER than Ash).

2. Ash looks like he has a tough battle. Clay's Palpitoad looks far more aggressive than Ash's Palpitoad (which is true because Ash's Palpitoad doesn't ROAR loudly and smacking its foot on the ground, causing damage to it).

And look at how easily Snivy killed the crap out of Palpitoad. I'm not saying Ash's Palpitoad could take vine whip, leaf blade and leaf storm, but Clay's Palpitoad rarely looked stronger.

Now I suppose I would be fine if Iris said what she said later in the battle. I mean Ash's Palpitoad has never really been dealt a lot 4x damage like Clay's Palpitoad.

But to say what Iris said without actually seeing the Palpitoad in actual battling is what I find insulting.

Because its like the concept of "your bark is worse than your bite" doesn't even cross their minds. For all we know Clay's Palpitoad (aside from knocking out Oshawott) could easily have been one of the weakest Palpitoad in existence.

But just because it acts more aggressively when it comes out of its Poke ball. It was necessary for Iris and Cilan to say that Clay's Palpitoad is stronger than Ash's Palpitoad.

Now maybe Cilan can use his Deus ex machina levels of connoisseur tasting and can easily tell who will win and lose in a match and would be more acceptable for Cilan to say what Iris did (only more connoisseur laced) . Iris however has no ability like that and therefore shouldn't have made that comment.

Now like I said I liked how Ash's Palpitoad was acknowledged since its unlikely we'll ever see it outside of battling BUT I think it could've been handled better.