• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

gohan5

Irisboy
What on earth are you talking about? Did you even read your response? You contradicted yourself.

1. That Palpitoad looks really strong, and looks like it has far more experience than Ash's Palpitoad (which should be true considering Clay is likely 5 times OLDER than Ash).

2. Ash looks like he has a tough battle. Clay's Palpitoad looks far more aggressive than Ash's Palpitoad (which is true because Ash's Palpitoad doesn't ROAR loudly and smacking its foot on the ground, causing damage to it).

That's basically exactly what she said. She said "Hey is it my imagination or does that Palpitoad look stronger than Ash's?" She was basically saying that Clay's Palpitoad looks like it has more experience than Ash's and that he might have a tough battle. And Cilan agreed and went into how Ash might have a harder time taking down Palpitoad than Krokorok.

And why can't Iris make that kind of remark but Cilan can? We know she's got experience under her belt. Now if she was a newbie like May or Dawn I'd agree with you, she wouldn't be the best one to guage levels, but she's not. Honestly, people will make a big deal out of everything now won't they?

dman_dustin

What on earth are you talking about? Did you even read your response? You contradicted yourself.
No I didn't.

That's basically exactly what she said. She said "Hey is it my imagination or does that Palpitoad look stronger than Ash's?" She was basically saying that Clay's Palpitoad looks like it has more experience than Ash's and that he might have a tough battle. And Cilan agreed and went into how Ash might have a harder time taking down Palpitoad than Krokorok.
Looking stronger does not equal experience. I can be ripped and powerful looking, but if I've never wrestled before, can you say just because I look stronger than the opponent does that make me suddenly more experienced than the opponent.

And why can't Iris make that kind of remark but Cilan can?
Because Cilan's "career choice" is to look at the compatibility of a Pokemon based on snapshot decisions. That's what a Pokemon Connoisseur does, instead of actually watching the Pokemon interact with the trainer, they just look at the Pokemon, and instantly go "Oh yeah, you're compatible with this Pokemon, or you're not really compatible, you need to work on your bond with this Pokemon."

That's what Cilan does, saying that Iris has even remotely the same idea, honestly is insulting to Cilan and what his dream of being a top connoisseur. To say that a non-connoisseur can make snapshot decisions like that and be accurate, I would think would be very insulting. Because it makes the whole connoisseur "profession" moot and pointless, if someone who wants to be a dragon master can make snapshot decisions like that.

What would be the point of being a connoisseur when someone who isn't a connoisseur can be as accurate with snapshot decisions.

However I'll slightly let it slide under the assumption Iris learned something about Cilan's profession by travelling with him. I mean I guess it is possible that Iris learned something from Cilan.

BUT

We know she's got experience under her belt. Now if she was a newbie like May or Dawn I'd agree with you, she wouldn't be the best one to guage levels, but she's not.
Ash probably has more experience than Iris (since even though Iris presumably battled before Ash started his journey, Excadrill's disobedience cost Iris a lot of years of wasted training, making Ash have more battling experience since he didn't have one Pokemon that disobeyed him for a few years), and not even Ash is really qualified to make snap judgements like that, he at least could say "Wow, Pokemon Q looks really tough, I better be careful" I doubt Ash would admit that his Pokemon are "weaker" than Pokemon Q.

So since Ash really couldn't make comments like Iris, why should Iris be allowed to?

Honestly, people will make a big deal out of everything now won't they?
I wasn't making a big deal about it, it was just an observation, people responded to me questioning my observation, their the ones who had to make it a big deal. I was fine just leaving my comment as is, and have no one respond to it.

I think it's incredibly cruel that people won't respond to my posts and comments that I want them to respond to, but comments like these that I don't really care if anyone comments on, they have to actually respond to (turning it into a big deal, because I have to explain myself).

Granted I don't expect people to know what I want them to respond to and what I don't care if they respond to or not, but still.

If I post something that "you" (general, not anyone in particular), disagree with a passion, so much you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, or I don't make any sense to you, how about you just don't respond to said comment.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I sense a bit of over reacting. Sure she was annoying in this episode but people let it go.

Janovy

Banned
Lol whut? Iris insulted Ash in this episode? Iris was annoying in this episode? o_O

Is this fandom going completely crazy?

You guys are looking way too much into this. The only reason Iris said it looked stronger was because writers wanted us to know that Clay's Palpitoad is much stronger. And of course his Palpitoad was stronger since it's been much longer with Clay than Ash's Palpitoad has been with him. Simple logic guys, I don't see how she insulted him.

Oh God, you guys seriously tend to discuss some really unnecessary things.

WaterShuriken

Also Pikachu's reaction to seeing a Krokorok could be foreshadowing into the future. also Pepsi Plunge you should really put that signature in spoiler tags.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Also Pikachu's reaction to seeing a Krokorok could be foreshadowing into the future. also Pepsi Plunge you should really put that signature in spoiler tags.

Yup I think it was that, hopefully it wasn't Pikachu being spoiled yet again... I don't get why out of nowhere it would start to ask to be used in every gym.

I don't post out of the original anime section don't worry or atleast I don't post in the dub section, unless I did by mistake lol, I didn't get insulted by anyone so I think its safe, I even got 2 or 3 guys asking me where its from gave them the ending and they thanked me lol.

Edit: Actually did, deleted the posts.

Also dman, it amazes me that you can actually write that much on such a simple subject :i

True l, the first thing I said when I came to the thread and saw that dman made that huge post was "WTF !?"

Last edited:

Grey Wind

also Pepsi Plunge you should really put that signature in spoiler tags.
He doesn't post anywhere but Anime Spoilers, so it doesn't really matter.

Also dman, it amazes me that you can actually write that much on such a simple subject :i

Iris just said that the Palpitoad looked stronger than Ash's one, get over it. It wasn't an insult or anything, she just thought it looked strong. It's a kid's anime, it was to build up suspense.

WaterShuriken

He doesn't post anywhere but Anime Spoilers, so it doesn't really matter.

Iris just said that the Palpitoad looked stronger than Ash's one, get over it. It wasn't an insult or anything, she just thought it looked strong. It's a kid's anime, it was to build up suspense.

Well these episodes aren't in Anime Spoilers.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Well considering Ash Palpitoad got taken out by Mijumaru who got totally killed by Clay's Palpitoad, I would say there is a difference in power level, either that or Mijumaru's defeat of Palpitoad was total plot hax(which I think it is anyway).

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Finally, an enjoyable Gym Battle. Took them long enough. Liked all of the battles, especially Gantle vs Excadrill. And I'm loving the new animation for Sandstorm. It looks like an actual weather effect.

And Clay calling Ash out for using Attract instead of attacking head on had me in stitches.

"STRATEGY?! THAT WAS NO STRATEGY!"

CupidKirby

Really? That seemed wrong to both of you? That she was worried that Ash would have a tough time? Why do people think Iris is a malicious person? Anybody could tell she was worried not berating Ash. It's not like she spit on his freaking Palpitoad for goodness sakes, get over it. She made an observation, it's called building the drama of the moment. And I don't even know what else she could have said that pissed people off, but people will hate on a character for anything now *shrug*.

It didn't seem wrong to me. I don't hate Iris or anything, just the lines the writers gave her this episode. Some of my favorite characters get horrible lines all the time. They've emphasized that Ash doesn't just rely on type advantages and powerhouses to win over and over and it seemed Iris was degressing from that point this whole ep. And true she has experience, but that was with an Excadrill who's resistant/unaffected to 11 types and is a powerhouse himself. The way she comments on Ash's pokemon choice everytime he does one just bugs me I guess. That's my side anyway.

deathseer said:
And Clay calling Ash out for using Attract instead of attacking head on had me in stitches.

"STRATEGY?! THAT WAS NO STRATEGY!"

Good to know they're emphasizing just how annoying attract can be...especially after all the attract spam this generation.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
This was probably the best Gym Battle in Unova so far IMO.

I loved the scene with Excadrill and Boldore wrestling with each other. That was epic.

Oshawott getting blinded by Sandstorm also saw a new tactic, Oshawott cleaning his eyes with Water Gun.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
So Ash has not by 4, but 5 Unova badges. Now we're getting somewhere.

Ash's Roggenrola evolving was probably the coolest thing, but it wasn't the only highlight. Clay's temper was probably the most adorable thing ever.

Cilan said Attract was a move Ash is expected to use (along those words); I agree; Ash does have a thing for making the ladies fall for him (Annabel is one of them).

Glad we got some Oshawott action and some sweet Snivy battling too. Ash's newly evolved Boldore must be the new Grotle; when Boldore gave Ash a hug by laying on him on the ground. Daww.

Janovy

Banned
Maybe it was just me, but Roggenrola seemed to be in GOD MODE taking all those attacks.
If you're talking about those one-hit KO moves, Roggenrolla has Sturdy and is unhurt by them.

SmartD

A great episode. The best was Roggenrola evolving into Boldore and beating Excadrill. Now it's on to the next Gym Battle.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Roggenrola evolving was definitely the highlight of the ep. Hands down the best evolving animation in Pokemon history....thus far.

Guywhoiam

Dr. Researcher Man
This was one of my favorite Gym battles over all, and my favorite so far in Unova. Roggenrola evolving made me happy, because Gigalith is my second favorite 5th gen Pokemon, and now he is one step closer. Now, I know that Boldore evolving into Gigalith is said to be unlikely, but "unlikely" doesn't mean it won't.