• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

ricedonut

pringle user
how much music did they keep in this episode?

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode and battle! Seeing Snivy getting a win against Palpitoad was very nice. Roggenrola evolving into Boldore was awesome, as well. Clay getting angry was hilarious, too.

Toonyoungster

The Capture Champion
You know, after the last few episodes with Clay, I couldn't help but think that he sounds familiar. And then it hit me...Clay is Yosamite Sam in disguise.

Munchlax66

All those southernisms made me think of a character from a different cartoon who was also named Clay. That cartoon was on the same channel that Pokemon used to be on. And that Clay is also specializes in the Earth element.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
All those southernisms made me think of a character from a different cartoon who was also named Clay. That cartoon was on the same channel that Pokemon used to be on. And that Clay is also specializes in the Earth element.

You're thinking of Clay from Xiaolin Showdown

Also, did anyone else feel creeped out a when one of Clay's miners chuckled after saying "My boss's pokémon are all extremely powerful" to Ash?

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
An excellent episode, I was stuck to my screen from beginning to end.

It's the battle for Ash's 5th gym badge against the King of the Mines, Clay. We began with Krokorok vs Oshawott where Oshawott showed determination and then finished Krokorok with a flourish of moves after a clever water gun into the hole that Krokorok had dug. Then Palpitoad vs Snivy where Snivy used Attract to immobilise her opponents and then destory Palpitoad with all those grass moves of hers. However, the star battle was Excadril vs Roggenrola but at first I was convinced that Pikachu was going to be sent out because of the lead into it with Pikachu being all fired up but we saw roggenrola instead which was a pleasant surprise (even though I would have loved a Pikachu victory too). It was clever that Roggenrola's sturdy came into its own against Excadrill's Horn Drill and then the Evolution, well never saw that coming from a mile off and I loved it. Then Boldore just put excadril on the scrap heap with it's new moves; Rock Smash and Rock Blast.

As I said, I loved it from beginning to end. On to the next episode!!!!

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
I liked this episode and considered it to be one of Ash's best gym battles of Unova so far and it's nice to see an evolution for his team.

Battra

Well this gym battle was marginally better than Ash's last gym battle. The only match I really enjoyed was Oshawott vs. Krokorok just cause that was a nice well planned out battle. It's depressing to see the writer fall back on Snivy owning every Pokemon it's put up against after it uses Attract, also relying on Ash's Pokemon to evolve in order too write ourselves out of a corner of a uber gym leader Pokemon. It would be ashame if we actually have Ash lose more than one gym battle in a region & then write good followup. Clay could've been written better, seriously your a gym leader you shouldn't be upset just cause the challenger used a strategy to win instead of a head to head battle.

HoennTori

BisexualMexnese Kid
Ash was actually good in this ep lol

Xilion Showdown FTW

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Ironic how every gym leader tells Ash to use strategy, but this one gets mad and says he should attack head on.
Machismo blinds the eye, there Clay.

If you're talking about those one-hit KO moves, Roggenrolla has Sturdy and is unhurt by them.

Yes, he's unhurt by Horn Drill. But that's no reason why he should survive 87 Drill Runs.

Horn Drill itself has no effect on it, I already know that.

so no matter how many times it's used he won't be affected. Clay only used Horn Drill once. The move Roggenrola was hit 87 times by was Drill Run.

That's how the writers are portraying Horn Drill to be.

Answers in bold.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
When I saw Clay get all mad when Ash knocked out his second Pokemon that reminded me of Yosamity Sam from the Looney Toons :p

R?IDDl3R

ace trainer
this episode remained me alot about sinnoh.. cuz ash destroyed clay in that battle with his strategies .. same way in sinnoh with the gyms and leagues