• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling the King of the Mines! (722)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Good battle all around. It was very enjoyable to watch and Ash actually looked competent here. Roggenrola evolving was a little questionable but it doesn't ruin the episode or anything.

Satoshi's match at the Hodomoe Gym definitely made him seem skilled by comparison to how he was portrayed at the Raimon Gym at least. And even Yacon himself managed to be a more entertaining Gym Leader than Kamitsure, to me at least.

Daizy

I call you honey
Palpitoad's battles felt rushed, perhaps because the writers had wanted to get into the Excadrill fights more quickly. It's good to see Clay order his Pokemon to deflect Snivy's Attract in the second battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Attract was such an overpowered and commonly used attack during Best Wishes, so I was also quite pleased that Yacon got mad and showed how annoying that move can be.

This gym battle was much better than the last one since here Ash used strategy. It was funny when Clay got mad at Ash for using Attract too. Roggenrola's evolution felt forced since Ash didn't use it much in BW and how is it possible for Roggenrola to take several super effective hits from Clay's Excadrill after it evolved into Boldore and for Boldore to defeat Excadrill with only two attacks?

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I honestly agree with Clay in this episode, how he told Ash he wasn't serious with his goal.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
I'm calling hax on Roggenrola being able to take half a dozen Drill Runs, and then survive a Horn Drill

His match was ridiculous since he had virtually zero training, but I guess he needed to seem strong all of a sudden to justify his evolution.

Vulpicks

It was alright. Not the worst battle I've seen (That was the last gym battle ;))

I thought it was funny when Clay got upset at Ash for using Attract. He's pretty fun as far as Gym Leaders go in the anime.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Vulpicks said:
I thought it was funny when Clay got upset at Ash for using Attract. He's pretty fun as far as Gym Leaders go in the anime.

Although I didn't like Yacon much, I thought he had every right to be upset since Attract was way too powerful in the BW series, and it almost always settled the battle with a single hit. It also seemed to be the writers' go-to move for whenever they needed a quick solution to a battle.

No Driftveil City Theme I am sad
Best gym battle so far in BW. OSHAWOTT GOT A WIN THANK GOD!
Rock evolves into even bigger rock.
Oshawott did amazing but Boldore wins MVP for taking out a powerful Excadrill.
Seven Colored Arch is one of my favorite endings, it sounds so peaceful. Spoiling all those evolutions must have been crazy!!!

RafaSceptile

Something similar with the Skyla's Gym Battle, in this case one of the very few moments when Boldore had the opportunity to shine. Overall it also was a decent gym battle.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
ITS OUR DESTINYYYYYYY

I swear the BW title screen never gets old. Neither does the Gym Leader’s final Pokémon theme.

Glad they incorporated Bianca’s/Cheren’s theme as well.

Ash finally remembered type match ups. Nice that he didn't allow Pikachu to enter this fight and thought of using Snivy to defeat Palpitoad. You would think this was expected and not a feat but it's Ash.

Oshawott really shined bright. Using Water Gun in the air to neutralize the Sandstorm and then following up with an Aqua leaving Krokorok in the air to smash him with Razor Shell was awesome. I'm glad they got straight to the point and allowed Ash to have his battle relatively early. Whoever was voicing Clay did a terrible southern accent.

Clay getting pressed that Ash used Attract and was not fighting "like a man" was funny

How did Boldore survive Excadrill's Horndrill? Did the writers forget how that move works? At least he was cute smothering Ash.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
How did Boldore survive Excadrill's Horndrill? Did the writers forget how that move works? At least he was cute smothering Ash.
I'm guessing Ash's Boldore has Sturdy, so it was immune to Horn Drill

Sham

I'm guessing Ash's Boldore has Sturdy, so it was immune to Horn Drill
I did not even think of that but apparently automatic KO movies don’t work against Pokémon with Sturdy so it was just a continuity error that he was able to withstand Excadrill’s Horndrill because it never should have worked

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I did not even think of that but apparently automatic KO movies don’t work against Pokémon with Sturdy so it was just a continuity error that he was able to withstand Excadrill’s Horndrill because it never should have worked
How is it a continuity error if that's how the ability is supposed to work? Even Bulbapedia lists Ash's Boldore as having Sturdy for its ability

Sham

How is it a continuity error if that's how the ability is supposed to work? Even Bulbapedia lists Ash's Boldore as having Sturdy for its ability
Because KO moves (Horndrill) automatically fail against a Pokémon with the ability Sturdy so the move never showed of hit in the first place

vondecayle

This is one of the best gym matches in Unova along with the battle against Skyla and Brycen.
1. Ash was competent in this battle, actually caring about type disadvantage and letting pikachu take the back seat for this one.
2. Oshawott’s spinning water move reminded me of counter shield, well done.
3. “King of the Mines” really loved the title for this one.
4. The battles felt perfectly paced.
5. Clay’s personality made for an interesting dynamic that’s it’s not often seen with gym leaders. His tantrum about Ash using attract was hysterical.
6. Excadrill using its claws to deflect attacks was very creative and an interesting way to show off some of its unique qualities as a pokemon.