• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BDSP: Worst Pokemon game?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
what didn't you like about SM and USUM? i do feel that the player got little story significance in SM even though i enjoyed Lilly. I think this was fixed in USUM but i dislike the change to Lusamine.

I think X and Y needed more of their lore explored since Zygarde got nearly zero representation despite their only being 3 legendary pokemon. i hope the inevitable remake actually does it some justice plotwise.
i found XY to be one of the best games IMO im not really that big into the story or post game stuff so the general lack of stuff past E4 didnt bother me. ORAS was a nice gen3 remake so i was fairly happy with that. XY did have some interesting battle variations that havent seen a return yet.

there are many things i hated about SM and USUM but more the first 2.
Z nukes were annoying AH, didnt have a competitive tier team. those teams are boring AH and its always the same 20 pokemon you see in tourneys. i played with mixed tier favorites ie design, ability, move coverage and a surprising moveset that could get people off guard. ident really have much variance overall but thats just me, Znukes were annoying and disrupted by strategy. it makes sense in overall strategy but it was still annoying. i despised the rotom dex. it was annoying in SM and i hear its insufferable in USUM as i didnt interact with it at all except for the mandatory times. they left out so many things in SM. half the buildings in the bigger towns were just empty space. the process to get megas was rather annoying ie the tournaments. the pokerides were rather annoying, much rather have a bike/skate to get around. the loss of HM were annoying but i did like that function. i honestly didnt give a damn about the Z moves, yes i know you can use them as nukes or stat boosters but i still dont like them. they left a few berries out of the roster and that annoyed me as i couldnt use custap berry aggron set. the loss of the PSS was annoying AH, trying to contact a player online was a few steps too annoying and you had a 5 minute blackout before you can relocate the player again. i belive thats also when the national dex was put in PK Bank but i dont remember that 100% now.

the good:
plaza shops as convoluted as they were are very useful. i did miss the horde feature but get the right stalls in the plaza and you can EV train a pokemon fast. USUM plaza battle tower witht he rented teams was fun if not infuriating at times BC they cheat so much later on. trying to make progress halfway through the ranks was a testing time. if you didnt have a lvl50 friend or passerby it was hard to get a 2nd good person to lend you a pokemon for the team
berry farming was a breeze. plant the berries and let your slaves....err pokemon do the rest. the little comments on how they go about it were very cute.
i think i missed a few other good things but they likely were mentioned in my previous rant post on gen7 hate.

gen7 games are where i had my interest in the games drop dramatically. i got 4-6 months of interest and 2-4 months of strong interest in the game. gen6 on the other hand had a strong interest of 2-3 years that i enjoyed the game. i filled all foreign dex entries except the legends/events in X. had prepared myself to do the same in gen7 but didnt have the interest to even bother with it as it couldnt hold my attention. gen7 is pretty much erased from my memory/pokemon game timeline. went into gen 8 with extreme skepticism. gen7 hype was strong but it really didnt last very long at all. havent touched BD for a few months, PLA 1-2 months since but im trying to get complete story when i work up the interest to play. beat elite 4 in BD but no heatran ie no elevated E4 levels. i will eventually continue BD to finish the story when i work up the effort to transfer my bred gen6 pokemon into BD. still not sure when that time would come...

SM were rather bad overall and USUM fixed a few things by adding ultra wormholes, returning legendary pokemon, brought back move tutors
and made mega stones easier to procure. USUM pretty much added what was needed into SM in the first place so it didnt really advance or improve my opinion of gen7 as a whole. SM provided a partially completed game and USUM just corrected the flaws in SM. if anyone wants to buy SM or USUM then i'd advise highly against SM if they had the chance to get USUM. SM is a waste of time and money when you can get a slightly more complete game. USUM wasnt perfect by far but it was more complete than SM could ever be. if SM came with all the features USUM had then my opinion wouldnt be as low rated as it currently is. it felt like GF was lazy/withholding extra USUM features just to get a game out on the 25th?? anniversary when they couldve taken more time to have the content of USUM be featured in SM already then have added other stuff when USUM were released.

yes sword and shield towns are barren and boring AH but atleast the open areas did provide more interesting things to explore.

i could probably add a few more things but that would make this post even longer...

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
DP were good games so BDSP are good games. They could have been better, yes, but we're starting from a good baseline.

The only real "bad" games are the first ones for being nearly unplayable now, and Ultra for absolutely demolishing the story they had in SM and ruining all the emotional impact.

Trillion

no because they're basically the same game as dp. and dp weren't bad games. as a matter of fact, dp are "worse" by default since bdsp added more content and available pokemon before the postgame with the grand underground

also lgpe still exists. those are the worst and it's not even close. you are locked to gen 1 pokemon for the entire game. so no pichu, crobat, magmortar, sylveon, etc even after the postgame. atleast frlg let you get gen 2 and gen 3 pokemon eventually. master trainers were lame. can't battle wild pokemon. the timeline is weird as hell- it takes place between the events of the gen 1 and gen 2 games. red is there but he didn't defeat team rocket?

i also rank bdsp above rby, gsc, and hgss. rby are outdated and broken; and gsc and hgss are just boring. pokemon selection is terrible, gen 1 pokemon are everywhere while gen 2 pokemon get pushed to the side, the infamous level curve, etc

now bdsp aren't perfect. they're gen 8 games but they literally took 15 years worth of steps back. that's my problem with them. dp has these same issues- but they're from 2006
1) they locked away post-gen 4 evolutions. so no sylveon, obstagoon, sirfetchd, etc. i thought for sure they'd be obtainable in the postgame
2) TMs are breakable again. i barely pick up bdsp anymore because battling with some of my pokemon in the postgame is a struggle. the level-up movesets for a lot of them just aren't great. swsh did a great job at allowing you to make your pokemon the best they can be with reusable TMs and easy-to-obtain TRs
3) leveling-up in the post game is a grind. again- something that's done WAY better in swsh and la
4) every above-ground wild pokemon encounter is back to being random

with everything said. no, bdsp aren't the worst pokemon games. but they damn sure are the worst gen 8 games

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Yellow is pretty much the only Gen I game worth playing these days mostly because of the interactions with Pikachu and how they managed to add in actual voice clips onto a GB cart and have it be audible on an original GB which no other GB did. And these were multiple clips too which is just impressive. The other games are just unplayable by so many standards and did not age very well.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think people set their expectations way too high for BDSP. The games aren't bad at all.

Folks were expecting Diamond & Pearl with Sword & Shield graphics (I mean, I was too), and became outraged when they didn't get it. I will admit, I was bummed as well, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. It wasn't as enjoyable as the original games, but neither was ORAS.

In fact, the only remakes I feel were objectively better than the originals were FireRed & LeafGreen.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The only expectations I had were the games using the Platinum Dex and a couple other things from Platinum such as Looker and Charon, access to Pokémon introduced after Gen 4 with Sylveon, Litwick and Unovan Darumaka lines, and Mimikyu being added to the Dex, and regional forms. I was still perfectly happy with what we got.

nemwolf

I think people set their expectations way too high for BDSP. The games aren't bad at all.

Folks were expecting Diamond & Pearl with Sword & Shield graphics (I mean, I was too), and became outraged when they didn't get it. I will admit, I was bummed as well, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. It wasn't as enjoyable as the original games, but neither was ORAS.

In fact, the only remakes I feel were objectively better than the originals were FireRed & LeafGreen.
Yep I can agree. Its a faithful remake. I have played through both of the remakes and enjoyed them.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I don’t think BDSP are bad games, but more so, missed my expectations. LGPE are my least favorites of all time. My gripe with BDSP has pretty much been echoed already, I play them more than I’ve touched Sword and Shield (still haven’t caught the box legends yet).

There’s definitely worse than BDSP. They definitely could’ve done better, but, I’m happy with what we got.

jaden767

Amphetamine
SM and USUM take the worst cake. those 4, especially SM were developed too fast in an attempt to hit an anniversary celebration.
How were games that introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics and a myriad of new characters worse than these lazily made Sinnoh remakes?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
How were games that introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics and a myriad of new characters worse than these lazily made Sinnoh remakes?

Because once upon a time, DP also introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics, and a myriad of new characters, and did so much more than SM. BDSP's a poor modernization, but at least it has a good foundation so there's actually a semblance of an enjoyable game there even if it wasn't updated quite as much as people wanted. Alola on the other hand was never good, there are so many issues with it that will probably never get fixed short of a BW2/LA scale overhaul.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The only expectations I had were the games using the Platinum Dex and a couple other things from Platinum such as Looker and Charon, access to Pokémon introduced after Gen 4 with Sylveon, Litwick and Unovan Darumaka lines, and Mimikyu being added to the Dex, and regional forms. I was still perfectly happy with what we got.
I have to admit that I didn't expect any of this precisely because these were Diamond and Pearl version remakes and not Platinum version remakes. After what happened in OR/AS with Emerald version's exclusive changes being essentially ignored aside from a few references, I just wasn't going to set myself up for disappointment by expecting these games to involve Platinum version elements.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It's all about managing your expectations. You expect a mountain from a hill, and you still get a hill. BDSP are, essentially, improved Diamond and Pearl. They've got faster battle animations, which is my most favorite thing, the Platinum flair the game was given was enough to make certain things, example being Fire Types, more accessible. The new Underground is way better than the old Underground, and I like seeing all the trainers running amok underground, working together to get mining jobs and diglett dust done.

The only thing that I'm not happy about is the lack of XP candies. Because they don't have XP candies, we have to grind XP the old fashion way, and I'll be the one to admit that SwSh have spoiled me in terms of leveling my Pokemon. I very much rather get my Pokemon to level 100, because it feels more complete and satisfying to do so.

So in short, they aren't perfect but they sure as hell aren't bad. I personally feel that in terms of actual bad Pokemon games, I would have to agree that XY are the worst of the maingames, but that doesn't mean they're bad games either.

Mirai

It's hard to pinpoint which game so far has been the worst but Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl are definitely contenders for the title. Nevermind that most people already only play the newer Pokemon games for a few months or until they fill up their Dexes, then lose interest in the games out of boredom. In this case there's hardly any replay value to start with so what's the point of purchasing them? A small nostalgic feeling that'll last a week or 2?

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
not the greatest remakes for sure. I think Platinum did this job better, so to me BDSP felt underwhelming and slow-paced; also, I really don't like the way the player character moves around the screen, they're always struggling, the controls feel off. could've skipped this one and just gotten Legends Arceus.

Autobot N

Miraidon, transform and roll out!
The way I view BDSP is that LA was the intended main series release and they just told a different team to do a 1-to-1 remake of DP so we could still have an actual Sinnoh remake. When I look at it that way I can excuse some of the lacking content because it was a side project.

X and Y were pretty good, though they were in desperate need of the Z that they never got. I'm still irked about that since Zygarde is one of my favorite Legendaries.

I definitely don't hate SM; I really like the first ones' focus on story, and while USUM does kinda screw it up, it makes up for it by being better gameplay-wise.

Assuming RBY don't count because of the technical limitations of the era, I guess I would have to put LGPE as the worst, though I kinda feel bad about it because I do like the game. The lack of later Pokemon and regular catching are irritating, but I still enjoy them more than the originals

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Let me put it to you this way, it's the ONE Pokemon mainline game that I haven't finished. I did download the events though but eh, I'll probably only finish it while researching Sinnoh when my fics get that far.

I could say Pokemon in general but that's a lie, I couldn't finish "Hey you Pikachu!" due to the shitty mic lmao

Kage-Pikachu

Let me put it to you this way, it's the ONE Pokemon mainline game that I haven't finished. I did download the events though but eh, I'll probably only finish it while researching Sinnoh when my fics get that far.

I could say Pokemon in general but that's a lie, I couldn't finish "Hey you Pikachu!" due to the shitty mic lmao
I NEVER made it to the end either, god dang Pikachu never listens. I kept trying to get him to shock pokemon and he rarely did it hehe. i want my (my parent's) money back!

i only played Pokemon ranger on the public DS's at stores, it wasn't fun for me. and pokemon mystery dungeon games were not very fun either. i did enjoy pokemon rumble blast though. i spent hours playing that and pokemon conquest. I guess i will say that hey you pikachu is indeed the worst pokemon game i ever played.