• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BDSP: Worst Pokemon game?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yellow is pretty much the only Gen I game worth playing these days mostly because of the interactions with Pikachu and how they managed to add in actual voice clips onto a GB cart and have it be audible on an original GB which no other GB did. And these were multiple clips too which is just impressive. The other games are just unplayable by so many standards and did not age very well.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think people set their expectations way too high for BDSP. The games aren't bad at all.

Folks were expecting Diamond & Pearl with Sword & Shield graphics (I mean, I was too), and became outraged when they didn't get it. I will admit, I was bummed as well, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. It wasn't as enjoyable as the original games, but neither was ORAS.

In fact, the only remakes I feel were objectively better than the originals were FireRed & LeafGreen.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The only expectations I had were the games using the Platinum Dex and a couple other things from Platinum such as Looker and Charon, access to Pokémon introduced after Gen 4 with Sylveon, Litwick and Unovan Darumaka lines, and Mimikyu being added to the Dex, and regional forms. I was still perfectly happy with what we got.

nemwolf

I think people set their expectations way too high for BDSP. The games aren't bad at all.

Folks were expecting Diamond & Pearl with Sword & Shield graphics (I mean, I was too), and became outraged when they didn't get it. I will admit, I was bummed as well, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. It wasn't as enjoyable as the original games, but neither was ORAS.

In fact, the only remakes I feel were objectively better than the originals were FireRed & LeafGreen.
Yep I can agree. Its a faithful remake. I have played through both of the remakes and enjoyed them.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I don’t think BDSP are bad games, but more so, missed my expectations. LGPE are my least favorites of all time. My gripe with BDSP has pretty much been echoed already, I play them more than I’ve touched Sword and Shield (still haven’t caught the box legends yet).

There’s definitely worse than BDSP. They definitely could’ve done better, but, I’m happy with what we got.

jaden767

Amphetamine
SM and USUM take the worst cake. those 4, especially SM were developed too fast in an attempt to hit an anniversary celebration.
How were games that introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics and a myriad of new characters worse than these lazily made Sinnoh remakes?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
How were games that introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics and a myriad of new characters worse than these lazily made Sinnoh remakes?

Because once upon a time, DP also introduced a whole new region, tons of new Pokemon, several new game mechanics, and a myriad of new characters, and did so much more than SM. BDSP's a poor modernization, but at least it has a good foundation so there's actually a semblance of an enjoyable game there even if it wasn't updated quite as much as people wanted. Alola on the other hand was never good, there are so many issues with it that will probably never get fixed short of a BW2/LA scale overhaul.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The only expectations I had were the games using the Platinum Dex and a couple other things from Platinum such as Looker and Charon, access to Pokémon introduced after Gen 4 with Sylveon, Litwick and Unovan Darumaka lines, and Mimikyu being added to the Dex, and regional forms. I was still perfectly happy with what we got.
I have to admit that I didn't expect any of this precisely because these were Diamond and Pearl version remakes and not Platinum version remakes. After what happened in OR/AS with Emerald version's exclusive changes being essentially ignored aside from a few references, I just wasn't going to set myself up for disappointment by expecting these games to involve Platinum version elements.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It's all about managing your expectations. You expect a mountain from a hill, and you still get a hill. BDSP are, essentially, improved Diamond and Pearl. They've got faster battle animations, which is my most favorite thing, the Platinum flair the game was given was enough to make certain things, example being Fire Types, more accessible. The new Underground is way better than the old Underground, and I like seeing all the trainers running amok underground, working together to get mining jobs and diglett dust done.

The only thing that I'm not happy about is the lack of XP candies. Because they don't have XP candies, we have to grind XP the old fashion way, and I'll be the one to admit that SwSh have spoiled me in terms of leveling my Pokemon. I very much rather get my Pokemon to level 100, because it feels more complete and satisfying to do so.

So in short, they aren't perfect but they sure as hell aren't bad. I personally feel that in terms of actual bad Pokemon games, I would have to agree that XY are the worst of the maingames, but that doesn't mean they're bad games either.

Mirai

It's hard to pinpoint which game so far has been the worst but Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl are definitely contenders for the title. Nevermind that most people already only play the newer Pokemon games for a few months or until they fill up their Dexes, then lose interest in the games out of boredom. In this case there's hardly any replay value to start with so what's the point of purchasing them? A small nostalgic feeling that'll last a week or 2?

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
not the greatest remakes for sure. I think Platinum did this job better, so to me BDSP felt underwhelming and slow-paced; also, I really don't like the way the player character moves around the screen, they're always struggling, the controls feel off. could've skipped this one and just gotten Legends Arceus.

Autobot N

The way I view BDSP is that LA was the intended main series release and they just told a different team to do a 1-to-1 remake of DP so we could still have an actual Sinnoh remake. When I look at it that way I can excuse some of the lacking content because it was a side project.

X and Y were pretty good, though they were in desperate need of the Z that they never got. I'm still irked about that since Zygarde is one of my favorite Legendaries.

I definitely don't hate SM; I really like the first ones' focus on story, and while USUM does kinda screw it up, it makes up for it by being better gameplay-wise.

Assuming RBY don't count because of the technical limitations of the era, I guess I would have to put LGPE as the worst, though I kinda feel bad about it because I do like the game. The lack of later Pokemon and regular catching are irritating, but I still enjoy them more than the originals

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Let me put it to you this way, it's the ONE Pokemon mainline game that I haven't finished. I did download the events though but eh, I'll probably only finish it while researching Sinnoh when my fics get that far.

I could say Pokemon in general but that's a lie, I couldn't finish "Hey you Pikachu!" due to the shitty mic lmao

Kage-Pikachu

Let me put it to you this way, it's the ONE Pokemon mainline game that I haven't finished. I did download the events though but eh, I'll probably only finish it while researching Sinnoh when my fics get that far.

I could say Pokemon in general but that's a lie, I couldn't finish "Hey you Pikachu!" due to the shitty mic lmao
I NEVER made it to the end either, god dang Pikachu never listens. I kept trying to get him to shock pokemon and he rarely did it hehe. i want my (my parent's) money back!

i only played Pokemon ranger on the public DS's at stores, it wasn't fun for me. and pokemon mystery dungeon games were not very fun either. i did enjoy pokemon rumble blast though. i spent hours playing that and pokemon conquest. I guess i will say that hey you pikachu is indeed the worst pokemon game i ever played.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I resent that, that you included the Ultra versions. They had updated a huge ammount of both the national dex and usable pokemon despite requiring transfers for many. But you can get final versions of the 3 Kalos starters, in the post game when you can use Island Scan.

Ultra Alola is still my number 1 games in my book. FYI, I'm won't be hostile about this. But i will not tolerate debating it in any private messages. *angry wink*
The story of the ultra games did feel underwhelming compared to the original SM games though

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
The ultra games, for me, are the games with the most wasted potential. SM’s ending was a perfect set-up for a sequel, and there were speculations that some dubious empty spots in Alola could become gyms in a sequel. Well, we know how that turned out.

BDSP were highly anticipated but ultimately are bad games. All the good moments I have from playing the game is me getting nostalgic thinking back to the original DP. The graphics don’t do it for me, the roster of Pokémon is bad, the game has less content than Platinum and even things that are nice additions on paper are disappointing. I don’t want to do a stupid puzzle each time I want to rematch the gym leaders. Wish they would just show up in the survival area again.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
They're no worse than the original DP games, underwhelming more be a more apt term IMO. personally the Ultra games felt the most underwhelming to me, I expected them to be more different from s and m. I mean looking at whole past v future theme, Scarlet and violet might be more different form each other than USUM was from SM. USUM aren't worse than SM though, they're improvements but they're underwhelming improvements, hopefully in the age of dlc, third versions (and fourth versions) are a thing of the past and if they revisit a region the can do a whole new story like B2W2.