• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BDSP: Worst Pokemon game?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
And even if you think the Sevii Islands are overrated, are they really any worse than LGPE not having any additional post game areas (besides Cerulean Cave that existed in the originals) or pretty much any post game content aside from Master Trainers?
LGPE did give us Green though, & I have a little more bias towards her inclusion since I’m a fan of the Adventures manga. Plus, I FRLG in general rubbed me the wrong way because of the Pokédex restrictions (as opposed to Let’s Go, where they told us from the beginning we weren’t getting the whole pokédex), the help menus that popped whenever you pressed the L/R buttons , & the fact that the item/TM cutscenes made the game feel sooooooo loooooong!

Pretty sure the reason USM is disliked is because while it refined SM's battle system well, that was pretty much all it did, and it came at the cost of basically taking all the emotion out of the story. Plus, SM's ending was perfect sequel bait so it just felt like so much wasted potential. It also broke the rule of the UBs not looking like traditional Pokemon with Poipole. Poipole does not look alien. Granted, Buzzwole and Pheromosa don't look that alien either but I think the designers were going for uncanny valley there, they just missed it. Poipole, on the other hand, is clearly designed to be cute, and looks exactly like a normal Pokemon, which defeats the entire design philosophy behind the UBs.
They didn’t have to do a sequel either. USUM had the perfect chance to use the premise Ultra Wormholes by going full AU and flipping the characters upside down (ex: Lillie being a bad guy, Guzma as the professor & Kukui as the leader of Team Skull, the trial captains having different personalities & type specialties, etc.)

Juanthemovie

Pokemon Master
bdsp is legit my most hated pokemon game because I caught a shiny spiritomb completely by accident and that was the greatest shiny ive ever caught at the time but my friend wanted to do a living shiny dex in bdsp but I didnt want to give him my greatest treasure so I did the duplication glitch in the daycare (this happend before that stupid patch). I then went to finish the game and eventually caught shiny arceus, shaymin, and darkrai (catching these 3 was after the patch). I was so proud of myself for catching these specific 4 shinies that I went to put them in Home. I put them one by one until I realized spiritomb couldnt be taken over to home... I searched up why and found out they patched the dupe glitch and BANNED ALL CLONED POKEMON EVEN THE ORIGINAL POKEMON THAT WAS USED TO CLONE!!!! I was legit heartbroken that I considered restarting the game only to shiny hunt it again but it wouldnt be the same....... to this day Chopstick the shiny spritomb is in my bdsp party and probably will stay there forever without seeing the light of day.... ill never forgive the stupid company who made bdsp and the patch that banned my chopstick. (sorry the image is too big)
6A53E487-F6F0-4B46-9289-8F6BFFD10E99.jpg

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Plus, I FRLG in general rubbed me the wrong way because of the Pokédex restrictions (as opposed to Let’s Go, where they told us from the beginning we weren’t getting the whole pokédex)

Is that really better though? With FRLG, at least you get to use the extra Pokemon in the post game. So there's extra Pokemon to find, catch, and train and it almost feels like Part 2 of the game (I think they may have been going for a similar dynamic as GSC but with an archipelago mini-region somewhat like the Orange Islands). In LGPE, you don't get anything. Just the originals. So that's a net loss for the game.

I don't like that the remakes are sticking to the same tired, unvaried regional dexes and that's probably the one thing I want the remakes to change the most. But as is, being able to mess around with new Pokemon in the post game is at least something opposed to LGPE and BDSP where there's nothing there that wasn't in the originals.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually like digging in the Underground and have had a lot of luck finding Fossils. Last night in BP, I found three Old Ambers, a Shield, and a Dome Fossil in less than an hour. The one Old Amber became a female Aerodactyl which I’m going to use for breeding purposes.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
yes WORST pokemon game... and it is a fact- not only is it too faithful and didn't add anything- you can't even play with gen 8 Pokemon- you know gen it is SUPPOSED TO BELONG TO? In oras you could play with gen 6 pokemon... same with HGSS and even in FRLG after you beat and did required quests you could play with gen 3 pokemon.

Also them not adding Battle Frontier screwed them with Gen 5 remake as Caitlin was supposed to debute in Battle Frontier and make a second appearance as Unova elite four in BW. Now that important information is GONE and new people are going to wonder what is importance with a pink lady.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Also them not adding Battle Frontier screwed them with Gen 5 remake as Caitlin was supposed to debute in Battle Frontier and make a second appearance as Unova elite four in BW. Now that important information is GONE and new people are going to wonder what is importance with a pink lady.

To be fair, do they even directly reference that she debuted in an earlier generation? It seems like a neat Easter Egg more than an important plot point. People are just going to think the importance of the pink lady is she's the Psychic type Elite 4 member.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
To be fair, do they even directly reference that she debuted in an earlier generation? It seems like a neat Easter Egg more than an important plot point. People are just going to think the importance of the pink lady is she's the Psychic type Elite 4 member.
I think she mentions it in the post game when she talks to Cynthia in her villa.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think she mentions it in the post game when she talks to Cynthia in her villa.

Okay, but that falls more under Easter Egg lore as opposed to something crucial to the plot. Her role as a Frontier Brain in PtHGSS isn't really important to her role as an Elite 4 member in BW.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Okay, but that falls more under Easter Egg lore as opposed to something crucial to the plot. Her role as a Frontier Brain in PtHGSS isn't really important to her role as an Elite 4 member in BW.
Wasn’t saying otherwise. Just answering your question.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I disagree. BDSP does many things right that Platinum didn't do:

- no more dual screen (personal opinion but I never liked the dual screen gimmick)
- no more HMs
- modern QoL features
- reinvigorated the Underground by adding Pokemon Hideaways, that we can now manipulate with Pokemon Statues
- better gym leader rematches
- better Pokemon League rematches
- hardest Battle Tower to date with the best AI (plus major NPCs battling you there)
- Ramanas Park
- a lot more seals (stickers) options
- Trainer Customization
- Pokemon following you
- you can now battle Lucas/Dawn in the post game

Platinum is a fantastic game, but it's not necessarily an objectively better game than BDSP, in my opinion. BDSP is very underrated, as the title of this very thread proves.

Last edited:

Tsukisha

I would not claim them to be that bad because they surely aren't, but I was expecting a Sinnoh region with the present generation graphics - thing that the past remakes did.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
- no more dual screen (personal opinion but I never liked the dual screen gimmick)
... that goese for every Switch game. it is just VERY basic. it is like parsing platinium for having duel screen. Heck BDSP isn't even first pokemon game to get rid of Dual screen
no more HMs
again nothing New that has been a thing since S/M
modern QoL features
nothing new for Gen 8 games
reinvigorated the Underground by adding Pokemon Hideaways, that we can now manipulate with Pokemon Statues
BUT we can't customize further unlike in Platinum- only thing we can have are statues- heck it is worse than Secret bases in ORAS in which we an create our own "gyms"
- better gym leader rematches
Volkner still having water type
- hardest Battle Tower to date with the best AI (plus major NPCs battling you there)
Battle Tower has always been hard- People said same thing in X and Y
Trainer Customization
again has been a thing in SW( granted I'll give that it is ONE thing that BDSP has done better than ORAS)
Pokemon following you
avnrjsojw3z71.jpg

BDSP is a mud cookie of Pokemon Franchise.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
No, not really.
Yes really. How is it not worst in everything? Plus being buggy as hell is a "nice" add on. BDSP is a mud cookie and defending it is like defending Mud cookies as a "GREAT" food