• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bea, the Lone Warrior! The Grapploct Menace!! (1123)

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
That is usually how it goes in this show. Trip, Skyla and Paul would know.

At least with Bea, she's not imagining herself winning a battle before actually doing it...

Though in all seriousness, I am looking forward to the moment where Ash does defeat her. I think she'll be more humbled by the loss and less judgmental. Not to mention, she'll finally crack a smile. (I wonder if that could mean something...)

Xuxuba

At least with Bea, she's not imagining herself winning a battle before actually doing it...

Though in all seriousness, I am looking forward to the moment where Ash does defeat her. I think she'll be more humbled by the loss and less judgmental. Not to mention, she'll finally crack a smile. (I wonder if that could mean something...)
Yeah, Skyla took it to another level.

As far as the general episode, subs aren't out yet, so I can't give the fairest review, but a good 8-9 minutes of the episode was talking. Unless, Journeys surprises me and makes the dialogue and what's being talked about incredibly interesting(which I doubt), literally half of this episode is a boring back and forth. Anyone miss it when battles took up the entire episode?

As far as the battle went, the animation is mediocre as always. Nothing impressive there.

Already mentioned how I thought people were going too far with the " Ash got bodied " and " Bea is super mega gud " characterization when Ash literally used two of his weaker Pokemon. This isn't Wulfric or Paul when Ash used his top tier lineup, I didn't think Ash's reaction to his loss was something all that surprising. It's going to be hard for me to buy into this new " depression arc " when it's so new and hasn't been set up all that well, but if they execute after this, it could be good.

Good things? Bea has potential to be an interesting rival and Riolu has a lot more potential to be an interesting Pokemon(anyone know what the new move he learned was?). If they handle Ash's loss here well, that could be good as well.

One of the better episodes of Journeys, but that's really not saying much

Soniman

Break the Limit
Lmao, the only thing impressive about Bea was her beating Korrina. I don’t know why people are so surprised with this result; Ash literally used two of his weakest Pokémon, one of which is quite literally the weakest Pokémon on his team(Farfetch'd)

Really, I’m not very impressed at all. If Ash had used Pikachu and Dragonite, he would have pulled off a win.

This reeks of terrible writing, which is normal for Journeys of course.
What strange baffling logic. So he should've just used his weaker Pokemon ever? So thry continue to remain weak? Because they might lose? Because Ash winning all the time and always just picking his power house with no variety is more interesting? I do not understand

What strange baffling logic. So he should've just used his weaker Pokemon ever? So thry continue to remain weak? Because they might lose? Because Ash winning all the time and always just picking his power house with no variety is more interesting? I do not understand

What? This is incredibly baffling logic to me. You use your weaker Pokemon against weaker opponents and train them up so they face people like Bea. Neither Riolu or Farfetch'd were near that kind of level, Farfetch'd especially.

Are you saying it makes narrative sense to throw weak Pokemon against much stronger opponents? Never mind narrative sense, does that make logical sense?

Soniman

Break the Limit
What? This is incredibly baffling logic to me. You use your weaker Pokemon against weaker opponents and train them up so they face people like Bea. Neither Riolu or Farfetch'd were near that kind of level, Farfetch'd especially.

Are you saying it makes narrative sense to throw weak Pokemon against much stronger opponents? Never mind narrative sense, does that make logical sense?
I mean...this is Ash were talking about. Logic does not take priority with him if his weaker mons have something to prove, even in his competent seasons like DP/XY he does this

MagicKarpInSpace

Just that "Im gonna battle and Im gonna win" type deal. I think Riolu needs to cool it off a little bit, but obviously this is all build up to him becoming an extremely powerful lucario, so I'll take it as it is.

Riolu was jus saddened and dejected after hearing Lucario lose, over that Bea said she is a weak trainer which inturns implies weak lucario, riolu looking him as role model and inspiration couldn't resist and made him fight octopus. As simple as that. Nothing brat in there.

Xuxuba

Gotta say, i don't see much of the point either, when Dragonite and Gengar are closer to Bea's pokemon level but still need training and screentime.

At this point i just roll with it and try to forget the fact that a newborn is facing a giant octopus.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Riolu was jus saddened and dejected after hearing Lucario lose, over that Bea said she is a weak trainer which inturns implies weak lucario, riolu looking him as role model and inspiration couldn't resist and made him fight octopus. As simple as that. Nothing brat in there.
It's kind of ironic he saw Korrina's Lucario as a role model given he lost on international TV. Against Ash, no less.

I don't think kids look up to losers. What is this, the baseball episode of Futurama?

MegaSalamence05

Now this episode is very interesting as it solidified what I've been thinking

Gar-Fetched is the weakest out of the 4 of Dragonite, Gengar, Riolu and Galarian Farfetch'd.

Dragonite being the strongest, then Gengar, then its Riolu and finally Galarian Farfetch'd. He's a reliable one. Before long the Evolution to Sirfetch'd happens it needs a lot of love. Sooner rather than later.

Don't even come at me with the "He lost a battle with his 2 weakest members so he doesn't deserve the Alolan Champion crown" just don't. Gengar would've had a field day and Dragonite would've just hugged Grapploct to death to its part

TheCrazyMaster

I liked Bea's "no fooling around" personality. I didn't really think this episode made Korrina look weak (like her battle with Dragonite did), but rather established Bea as a formidable opponent and foreshadowing that the world championships aren't just going to be some walk in the park. I also like how Riolu was played in this episode, as the Kalos episode made it clear that Riolu views Korrina and her Lucario as its role models and clearly wanted to get a jab at Bea for this (but also because it wanted to get a win in for Ash).
If I had one gripe it was the continuity, since the fighting Dojo wasn't the same and none of the older characters from it showed up. Meanwhile the staff had no issue remembering that Korrina's gym was in the tower of mastery. It seems as though they only remember continuity if it involves a relevant character.

I mean...this is Ash were talking about. Logic does not take priority with him if his weaker mons have something to prove, even in his competent seasons like DP/XY he does this

Sure, we can lower logical sense as a priority, especially for Ash, I still think that's important though. But I don't think it makes narrative sense for Farfetch'd especially to take part in the battle. Riolu makes much more sense on a narrative level as this is definitely going to strengthen his character, but Farfetch'd?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Sure, we can lower logical sense as a priority, especially for Ash, I still think that's important though. But I don't think it makes narrative sense for Farfetch'd especially to take part in the battle. Riolu makes much more sense on a narrative level as this is definitely going to strengthen his character, but Farfetch'd?
Farfetch'd has been barely used, thus deserves a chance to actually participate in a battle for a change?

It doesn't take a big leap of logic to arrive at that conclusion.

Red and Blue

Ash's Farfetch'd likes taking on challenging opponents. And Bea certainly fit that category. Plus the writers may have wanted Ash to use both of his Fighting types since the battle took place in a Fighting Dojo

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Basically, if there was ever an opportunity for Riolu and Farfetch'd to battle someone, even stronger than them, it was in this episode and this setting. A fighting dojo, vs a fighting gym leader, vs fighting Pokemon. It's good experience, regardless of whether they win or lose, and both Pokemon need experience, particularly Farfetch'd. Ash's choices make sense in every possible way. And quite frankly, Ash winning one-shot battles with Pikachu was getting super old.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Grapploct was probably the highlight of this episode. It looked so menacing especially when you consider how it must look from Riolu's perspective

I still don't think that the Galar Leaders are the strongest but I'm impressed with how they've showcased the 2 we've seen so far.

Farfetch'd has been barely used, thus deserves a chance to actually participate in a battle for a change?

It doesn't take a big leap of logic to arrive at that conclusion.

This really isn't a compelling or interesting narrative reason for having Farfetch'd battle, especially since Ash wants to win. As far as logic goes, it makes sense for Farfetch'd to battle for sure, just not in this particular battle.

Of course, you don't need to have a compelling or interesting reason to have Pokemon battle every time, so this is definitely nitpicking from me.

Ash's Farfetch'd likes taking on challenging opponents. And Bea certainly fit that category. Plus the writers may have wanted Ash to use both of his Fighting types since the battle took place in a Fighting Dojo

Ash's Farfetch'd literally has no feats to its name and is so weak, it lost to Riolu. I feel like Ash should have recognize this, especially after knowing that Bea is pretty strong, but the two reasons you've given are definitely fine reasons.

----

Really, I think the bigger problem I have is the show, maybe more so people here, making this battle seem bigger than it actually is. I don't think it's surprising at all for Ash to lose badly when he's using two of his weakest Pokemon, neither of them really having that much battle experience at all. Nor does it even make sense to put Bea on a pedestal because Ash is kind of numb nut and used his weaker Pokemon against her. I honestly think Dragonite and Pikachu would make mincemeat of her.

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
Too much Galar pandering to push the Leon is strongest angle. Ash has zero KOs of Galar gym leaders/champ Pokemon. Dragonite would have swept Bea. Fighting type trainers need to stop shadowboxing. Doesn't look like there'll be new Ash capture until Farfetched and Riolu evolve.

Also, when the hell is Goh going to start struggling too?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Solid episode. Bea has potential do be an interesting female rival (wish that would mean people would stop demanding one now but I'm hoping in vain).

Grapploct looked quite a threat. Not even Ash's outside the focus tatics worked. Seems like thing has a counter for everything. Wouldn't doubt if in the revenge match, Riolu lets loose of that grab attack by triggering his evolution.