• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bea, the Lone Warrior! The Grapploct Menace!! (1123)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
As far as the general episode, subs aren't out yet, so I can't give the fairest review, but a good 8-9 minutes of the episode was talking. Unless, Journeys surprises me and makes the dialogue and what's being talked about incredibly interesting(which I doubt), literally half of this episode is a boring back and forth. Anyone miss it when battles took up the entire episode?

As far as the battle went, the animation is mediocre as always. Nothing impressive there.

Already mentioned how I thought people were going too far with the " Ash got bodied " and " Bea is super mega gud " characterization when Ash literally used two of his weaker Pokemon. This isn't Wulfric or Paul when Ash used his top tier lineup, I didn't think Ash's reaction to his loss was something all that surprising. It's going to be hard for me to buy into this new " depression arc " when it's so new and hasn't been set up all that well, but if they execute after this, it could be good.

Good things? Bea has potential to be an interesting rival and Riolu has a lot more potential to be an interesting Pokemon(anyone know what the new move he learned was?). If they handle Ash's loss here well, that could be good as well.

One of the better episodes of Journeys, but that's really not saying much
His "depression"/slump seems to be less due to just losing and more due to him being on such a high before this. This is one of the few times where they've actually acknowledged Ash was on a winning streak, so him not just losing or getting overpowered, but flat out being outplayed and stomped like that was a huge blow to him

His "depression"/slump seems to be less due to just losing and more due to him being on such a high before this. This is one of the few times where they've actually acknowledged Ash was on a winning streak, so him not just losing or getting overpowered, but flat out being outplayed and stomped like that was a huge blow to him

Yeah, that makes more sense. Just watched it with subs and they were really pushing that " we're on a winning streak " cocky Ash(which is interesting by the way)

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I don't mind that Ash used his two weaker members or that they both got crushed by Team Bea, but I am annoyed that this seems to lead into another Ash-loses-confidence arc. Though I'll admit Ash hasn't been defeated so one-sidedly since Tobias. Most matches come down to Ash's last mon vs opponent's last mon, especially if Ash loses.

I just took it as it wanting to get into the battle because it loves battling, but I also couldn't understand what they were saying or anything. Even if it was to avenge Farfetch'd, its technically selfish to jump in carelessly because of your feelings when your trainer has a plan already set up. Not that I'm trying to argue that Ash should have used Pikachu and held back Riolu, I'm just saying that Riolu tends to come off as selfish and a brat imo.

I don't hate riolu, it's really cute! and lucario will be strong and Ash's powerhouse! Not my favourite pokemon by any means, and I don't particularly like this riolu's personality compared to say cameron's riolu, but definitely not a riolu/lucario hater. I've just noticed that Riolu likes to jump into battle and even if it was avenging someone, it's somewhat brat like to jump in when everyone else feels the same way.

I will admit I am a huge G-Farfetch'd fan though! Although he lost, I don't think they did him that dirty or anything when he had a great battle.
Does beating a different Pokemon count as a revenge? I think it was acting out of character instead of actually looking for revenge.
No he didnt. He seemed to have the advantage against Leon before both trainers used Gigantamax
I think Lance did much better than Raihan. Obviously Dynamax was the defining factor in both the battles.

diakyu

I don't get the obsession with the galar gym leader power levels when I think the games make it pretty clear they're all very strong, game difficulty notwithstanding.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I remember when this series was just starting, and everyone said Ash was a champion now, and that the Galar gym challenge would be too easy for him and not worth doing. Between Raihan and now Bea, I think we can safely say that's wrong, especially since Bea so thoroughly trounced Ash without even needing gigantamax like she'd have in a gym.

Even though I've mostly accepted the world tour format, I do agree that the Galar gyms would have been challenging enough for champion!Ash to battle. Plus it would've shut up the people who invalidate his Alola league win because "he didn't challenge gyms".

I’m not a delusional XY fan still moronically salty about Ash losing the Rushed League (No I won’t call it the Kalos League cause it was nothing but a lazy rushed excuse) or some delusional SM fan thinking hes now invincible since he now has the title of Champion. The people you see are prob likely some of the former unfortunately, I admit it while I’ve seen more of the latter. The majority opinion is that people were fine or glad he lost to Bea out of “character development” and are looking forward to the rematch.

I for one am looking forward to the rematch and I was hoping for Ash to take major loss sooner rather than later. I think Bea was the perfect character to do so as she's the 4th of Galar's gym leaders to be fought on the game's gym challenge circuit. That's a good strength level to both show that Ash has more to learn, but still not completely disrespecting Ash's skills.

I don't get the obsession with the galar gym leader power levels when I think the games make it pretty clear they're all very strong, game difficulty notwithstanding.

Because people like to hate on SwSh so the idea that lorewise the Galar trainers are among the best in the world (thus potentially being able to defeat fan favorites from past regions) upsets a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 384931

I watched it subbed and Bea calls Korinna too soft and Ash states he never been defeated like this.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
Man she even defeated Korrina without a mega or dyna/gigantamax without breaking a sweat. I suppose you can make the argument that Galar takes battles super seriously not unlike sports irl and than their's the pursuit of power, prestige, fame, and money being involved will make anyone hyper competitive if they have the drive. I'm sure Ash will not only defeat Bea in the future but he will also defeat her when she's at her strongest when she's using gigantamax Machamp which is her actual ace Pokemon.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I'll say that I really like the way Iwane drew Ash on this episode

Soniman

Break the Limit
After watching episode.....yeah that was a rough one. My man took a NASTY L, never seen Ash lose that badly in a long time. Other than that one brutal swing (which Bea countered anyway) I don't think he landed a single attack. It's so rare go see Ash backed into a corner to such a degree that not even his crazy strageies make any progress. I do enjoy how completely buisness focused Bea is as well, no jokes no casual conversation, just destruction I love it. I hope we get the see a softer side to her in future episodes but this worked tremendously as a introduction for the character.

Grappleoct was also very nicely animated and I just liked seeing it slither and glide all over the battlefield, just showing off its best qualites while choking the life out of Riolu. Really enjoyed this one, a Top 5 for the series thus far easily

Rohanator

I don't think you're really supposed to think about Riolu's and Farfetch'd's "power levels" in relation to Dragonite and Gengar, at the beginning of the episode Satoshi says that he feels they're unstoppable when the karate guy comments on Riolu's movements, and again highlights Riolu when mentioning his winning streak to Saitou/Bea, to us who pay attention to every feat a Mon has etc it may be unexpected but as far as the actual narrative goes Riolu clearly just is a strong Pokemon now, at least Satoshi himself believes so, and probably does about Farfetch'd as well, he doesn't let Pokemon battle unless he truly believes in them.

Levels are an iffy factor for the anime anyway, like aside from the elite of the elite there probably isn't a big gap between most Mons as long as they have competent trainers and good sparring partners, which would explain why Satoshi's new regional captures always fare about equally to Pikachu against new gym leaders etc. Kinda like humans, simply knowing HOW to fight aka technique is what really separates fighters from regular folk, not some insane raw power gap. For a turn based RPG a constantly rising level system makes sense cause you can only determine the outcome of battle through numbers, but it's probably better to think of the anime more as something like Pokken, where you CAN raise the fighter's level but the gaps aren't huge and you can close the gap with technique anyway.

Really enjoyed this episode. Really hope we get to see more of Ash's Farfetch'd though since most of the focus seems to be with Riolu. A sparring match between the two like in the opening would be nice! Either way, I wonder how long it will be before Ash gets his "revenge" on Bea.

ShadowForce720

Really enjoyed this episode. Really hope we get to see more of Ash's Farfetch'd though since most of the focus seems to be with Riolu. A sparring match between the two like in the opening would be nice! Either way, I wonder how long it will be before Ash gets his "revenge" on Bea.

If I had to guess I’m thinking the rematch will happen either in mid-late October or sometime in November.