• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Beartic's Sigh (1229)

TheCrazyMaster

Well, this was a fairly basic episode. Ash and co helping a wild Pokemon with some form of issue isn't anything unusual at this point, but the episode itself was still pretty enjoyable nonetheless.

One of the things that I really likes this episode was how heavily highlighted it was that Ash is capable of sensing when a Pokemon is struggling and in need. It's especially notable now as Ash was able to tell right away that something was wrong instead of later in the episode, and I feel like this episode perfectly embodies Ash's selflessness.
This episode also had one of the better portrayals of Ash's reserves in Aim to be a Pokemon Master, as they were not only outside of their Pokeballs for the entire episode (minus Snorlax), but they actually did more than his teams in the first two episodes.
Ash's Oshawott had the biggest presence among his team this episode. First of, it was pretty hilarious watching Misty snuggle Oshawott the moment she laid eyes on it (kinda funny it didn't return those affections, since Oshawott is kind of a simp). We also had the return of the scallop gag, which served as the introduction to the Beartic that Ash, Pikachu and Oshawott would try to help. Interestingly enough, we actually saw a mellower side to the normally prideful Oshawott this episode, seeing it want to proactively help this Beartic attempt to focus and shape it's powers, in this case using its own scallop as a reference.
Incineroar and Talonflame were pretty much just portable heaters this episode, but at least they actually did more than say most of Ash's Pokemon that appeared in the first two episodes (minus Corphish). It was great to see Ash actually use Incineroar, even if not for a battle, and it was great to see that it learned darkest lariat. Talonflame filled the typical scouting role early on typical for Ash's birds, and there was something oddly funny about seeing a four foot tall bird sitting on Brock's shoulders.
Snorlax kinda got the short end of the stick. It was cool seeing it side by side with Incineroar and watching the both of them team up to smash the ice pillars. Don't see why it needed to be returned to its Pokeball considering Incineroar and Talonflame were keeping everybody warm. Also I found it interesting that Snorlax still knows Mega Punch, a moove that we've seen it use before, but was not one of the six moves used in Ash vs Greta. So does this mean that Snorlax knows more than six moves?
We also saw the brief return of Misty's Starmie and Brocks Forretress (explosion!), but the writers forgot that Forretress's Pokeball is a fast ball.

Going back to the Beartic, it was pretty interesting seeing such a large and intimidating Pokemon struggle to use its powers properly, as this is a role usually affiliated with smaller and cuter looking Pokemon, and it came with the side effect that all the forest Pokemon feared it. In all honesty, I actually felt bad watching it give up and fire frost into the air in anguish after struggling to use it's powers correctly. Watching it perfect this ability right as it, Ash, Pikachu and Oshawott were in danger may seem a little bit cliche (especially in this anime), but the whole theme of this episode was it trying to focus its abilities, and it managed to focus them when it had a clear goal in mind, and in this case it was saving its friends, which later allowed it to perfect it's abilities. It was pretty adorable seeing it create it's own scallop in honor of Oshawott, and it was nice to see all the forest Pokemon loosen up once they realized it could control its ice, as they each came out to get their own scallop, one after the other, and the other, and the other, until they aaallllllllll were Oshawotts. And thus, the cult of Oshawott was born (just kidding, I think).

All and all, this was a very enjoyable episode. Looking forward to the next review!

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Awwww, Misty meeting Oshawott is something I've wanted ever since that cute little otter made its first appearance. I'm so happy it's happening at last <3

9dfc1fdc8ad891cb7cb3e314f267f7f0517376d8.jpg
I have a feeling that Ash's Oshawott got a fan in Misty.

Starswirl Pikachu

I think this is easier to watch if the viewer goes into it with the full understanding that Ash's large roster is not going to get fully utilized. Instead, the flavor I get from it is that each episode is going to be a dice game of pocket monsters and then Ash will start with a random team. I won't call this format a deal breaker but on the surface its a little weak when compared to almost every previous season.

Lets break this down:
Episode with no pokemon trainer battles
No pokemon captures
Team Rocket MIA. (after so many seasons they are way behind in power level anyway but they should at least be able to manage some kind of new gimmick to try and catch Pikach)
This could change but so far their journey seems to lack progression relative to what has been seen before. Are they trying to catch more mon's to complete the Pokedex? Or battle more opponents to get stronger? Not really.

Pokemon has always sort of had a larger goal in the background but now it feels like the show is kind of some how forgetting that. In the place of a steady story build up, we get what seems like random encounters without much thought given to cohesion. (except maybe for one pokemon who is invisible?)

Its a nice surprise to see Ash's team for the day with the likes of Snorlax and such but its too bad that they probably will not be seen again for a while. I suppose this journey is better than nothing but can we at least get some battles on the regular? This episode comes dangerously close to falling into filler territory which is not great news if there is a limited number of episodes left in the series.