• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Beartic's Sigh (1229)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Just watched the subs. This was a really well done episode. It had a great story. Ash's reserves were used well, and it was great to actually see Ash's Incineroar do something.

Risrhayne

Brock: I want to be a Pokémon Doctor and literally last episode I gave up simping to refocus on said goal.

Also Brock: I’m just gonna leave Incineroar and Talonflame frozen despite using them to thaw out a million times

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Episode Rating - 6/10

This was Ash at his best. Enthusiastic with lots of personality, but clearly capable and experienced, indicative of a true master. Really comfy episode with a bunch of wonderful interactions. It's just unfortunate that it comes at a time when Ash's story has only few more episodes left.

The Good:

This episode clearly cementified, like the whole serie is doing, what a Pokémon Master is: a Pokémon Master is not only the best battler in the world and a Champion, but also a trainer capable to listen the heart of the Pokémons, making strong friendships during the journey with humans and Pokémons, helping people with their Pokémons when they're living an hard life or they have problems with something. Also Misty and Brock pointed it out during the episode because they know Ash is/will be a Pokémon Master and Latias is observing Ash for the same reason.

This was a really nice laidback episode totally carried by Ash’s personality and the Pokémon interactions. Loved seeing Oshawott again and it now forming its own Shell Squad. Snorlax, Talonflame and Incineroar were really cool too. Honestly I think I enjoyed seeing Incineroar the most, as it’s just really badass lol, and this is coming from someone who didn’t much care for Litten/Torracat in SM.

The overall plot was run off the mill but the animation really helped lend a hand to make the episode a lot more entertaining. Everything popped, had weight, you could really feel the emotional frustration of Beartic and the concern Ash had for it. Would’ve loved for Ash to catch it but the Alto doppelgänger is still stalking in the background.

All in all a good episode that really encapsulated the development of Ash as a trainer, his character, and his bond with Pokémon in general.

Episode was alright. Nothing outstanding but still fun. I think the ice training went 1 round too long. Also they just be using World Domination whenever they want now. Reserves in this episode were pretty good compared compared to the Misty episode, except for Snorlax getting like 1 minute of screentime. But I for one support the Ice Scalchop gang. Not bad overall.

Misty and Brock being "sidelined" here works in the context of the episode and what they're going for atm. Apart from those two having no Fire types or Pokemon with Fire type attacks (I guess Gyarados really is at the gym), this episode was meant to highlight how much better Ash is at understanding Pokémon than anyone else. We’ve had bits of this before, but it's brought into sharp focus here. Doing this with a wild Pokemon was a smart move too, so that there's no prior knowledge that could serve to undermine Ash's capabilities here.

Just watched the subs. This was a really well done episode. It had a great story. Ash's reserves were used well, and it was great to actually see Ash's Incineroar do something.

The Bad:

By this point I've accepted most of MPM is going to be a series of run of the mill, fairly inconsequential episodic adventures. With that in mind I found this episode kind of endearing. I've always had a soft spot for Beartic.

For a final series, this is disapointing and it's disapointment after disapointment with this show.

Queen Cynthia

Dignified Queen of Sinnoh
At first, I was a bit sceptical if this episode would really have the potential to be good, but I must clearly say now it was a very well-written, emotional and, above all, a motivational episode that you could thoroughly enjoy! A filler, yes, but it should have become obvious by now that MPM is intended to be a filler adventure. As long as the episodes will be written as well as they have been so far, I'm fine with that.

So, today's episode focused on Ash completely. Him putting all his heart and soul into helping a Pokemon the unconventional way is the typical Ash-like behavior that we haven't seen in a while. It sure was both entertaining and heart-warming to see that intense interaction between Ash and Beartic! Also, Ash acting that maturely shows why he rightfully belongs to the Masters Eight (I just don't like the idea of him winning the tournament though because I think it felt forced and was neither justified nor deserved. But that's a different story)

What I liked most were Ash's motivational words that gave me a flashback to my youth when Ash was still travelling around as an ordinary trainer but his words of encouragement have never failed to motivate and push me, even back then. A nice reminder of those days! At the same time it's kind of comforting that Pokemon has never changed when it comes to its motivationals aspects (Though it remains to be seen if the new Amine can be equally successful, which I'm not so sure about. I wish they would never have decided to cancel the original show and its original characters....Oh well, I'm getting sidetracked again!)

Also, it was great to see Snorlax and Incineroar again! These are precious Pokemon that would have deserved more attention in the past if you ask me.

Last but not least, there was one "negative" point that needs to be mentioned: Considering that Ash put all his heart and sould into training and saving Beartic, it would have been more than deserved if he had caught it. That situattion literally called for that "Catch me" moment.

To sum up: A very good filler about the harmonic and friendly relationship between people and Pokemon that also showed how much Ash has grown and brought back memories.

megagodx

I’m going to s*** all over this episode and just be the “negative one” if I have to be. We have 11 episodes to sum up a near 3 decade character arc and they’re wasting it.

These last 11 episodes should each be forwarding Ash’s development in some meaningful way or tying up loose ends with iconic character cameos to progress the Pokémon Master narrative. Him helping random people or Pokémon is something he’s been generically doing for hundreds upon hundreds of episodes over the generations.

When are they actually going to start giving a crap and doing something unconventional with the last of these mini-series episodes?

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
As a filler episode while traveling throughout a region from one location through the next the episode is okay even if somewhat boring.

As an special episode for Ash’s final run it’s just underwhelming and nothing special considering we’ve seen this before in many shapes or forms.

The should’ve stick with the original definition of becoming a pokemon master. I get it, a true pokemon master is able to connect and help pokemon, even if it’s not theirs, but the problem with this is that we’ve seen many other companions and characters do the same. So what exactly separates Ash from those people?

Winning the PWC should be proof enough imo, while the things being shown in this episodes are just extras because it is obvious that a pokemon master should be able to help pokemon.

Martinat388

He did the thing!
Pretty easy mistake to make considering even I forgot it was supposed to be a Fast ball lmao
Conspiracy time: Brock released his previous Forretress and caught a new one :p
Clearly when Brock commanded Forretress to use explosion it blew up too hard and ended up completely blowing up

Truly was a sad day for Brock

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Will never understand the decision to keep Starmie in the gym, when she could have left Staryu. But either way, her ace in the games is coming back, its been ages.
Wasn't her choice, really. Her sisters basically press-ganged it and Horsea into their service.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Would be nice to see Misty using her Horsea again, since that line of pokemon hasn’t appeared much in the anime.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I enjoyed the episode! It was very heartwarming seeing Ash support and comfort Tunbear! Plus my heart melted seeing Ash and Pikachu mimic each other. No TRio appearing is always great in my book.

This makes me think being a Pokémon Master is the same as Iris’ goal of being Dragon Master. Instead of touching the hearts of just Dragons and understanding them, it’s Pokemon to its entirety. This is very sweet!

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
It'd be Tom & Jerry since this lacks direction.

Yeah, I'm not unaware considering I've talked about liking every episode of this series so far. I really like the variety packed into a single, disconnected and self-contained episode. The staff are able to just do whatever they want and break from the strict formula of us always knowing what Pokemon Satoshi has with him and also bring back different old characters or meet new friends and actually have these stories be about Satoshi and the new friend bonding. I write big, over-arching narrative, I don't need to exclusively read or view them in my media.

game3524

Yeah, I'm not unaware considering I've talked about liking every episode of this series so far. I really like the variety packed into a single, disconnected and self-contained episode. The staff are able to just do whatever they want and break from the strict formula of us always knowing what Pokemon Satoshi has with him and also bring back different old characters or meet new friends and actually have these stories be about Satoshi and the new friend bonding. I write big, over-arching narrative, I don't need to exclusively read or view them in my media.

Yeah, not everything needs to have some over-arching narrative to be considered good and fun. MPM is fun IMO and the set up is actually what I wanted for PM.

This series makes me feel like they had originally wanted Ash, Misty, and Brock be his main traveling companions for Journeys while using reserves, but the higher ups said no lol we need more Pokemon Go promotion

It feels like this was one of those ideas they may have kicked around when brainstorming for the next series and decided to go in a different direction.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I like variety and in a way this series is doing things other series haven't and I think that's a lot of fun. I really makes me wish that they could just do two separate series, like we had during AG with the occasional specials showing us what was happening in Kantou. Just a random adventure with no context and no need to really maintain continuity as to what companion Satoshi is traveling with. One week he's traveling alone, the next he's traveling with Citron or Kaki or—heck—Kenyan. One week he has Pikachuu, Bayleaf, Betobeton, Kingler, Chaobu and Mokurou, the next we just see Pikachuu. One week he's befriending a wild Pokemon, the next week he's helping a kid come to terms with becoming an elder sibling. One week Satoshi is battling a powerful trainer, the next week he's helping a Gouriki be recognized as the rightful owner of a construction company left to him by his deceased trainer. One week Pigeot returns because they need Satoshi's help defending his home, the next Butterfree and his mate meet Satoshi's Okorizaru and bond over a trainer they remember but neither know is the same trainer.

I've been really excited by this series so far and frankly this new formula they have going is just too exciting to end after only 11 episodes.