• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Beauty Is Skin Deep! (253)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Finally, Dratini's official US debut. It was too bad it was short-lived. Dratini evolved of course so we didn't get to see it's cutest form for long. As for Clair: she looked funny in a jacket and pants haha. I liked that they added the Dragon Fang item from the games' Blackthorn City storyline to the anime in an interesting way; by adding a ritual to the mix. Pretty nice way to start the whole Dragon arc as I call it. 6/10.

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Dragon Arc, that's not a bad name.
Anyways good episode, nice to see Dratini and Dragonair, I think Dragonair is quite a serene looking Pokemon, good start off for the Dragon arc.

I wonder what Dragon that Fang came from. Salamence? Dragonite? You can't see all of the Dragon's fangs so it's hard to tell.

saar

Shiny Flygon
Ash was quite enthusiastic to start his 8th gym battle. At the begining and at the end.
Clair's Dratini evolved, but I always wanted to see if Ash can beat a Dratini. At least they had him facing against his evolution, who has various attacks, and it's a bigger challinge, of course.

I don't know why, but I pretty loved the old man.(Clair's assistant). Too bad he didn't use pokemon.

Sayho1234

Damn! Clair was such a badass in this episode :D! Also Wobbuffet was useful for once in battle as he had successfully used mirror coat against Pikachu's thundershock, and it had shocked Ash & Pikachu in return :).

Jessie disliking Dragonair was cool, like Dragonair is not cute and beautiful.

Team Rocket had their (in my opinion) best disguise, with their "picture-of-Dratini-taking."

Brock had his usual moment.

Clairs voice in the Netherlands is annoying, she has a Belgian accent. I couldn't find a Dutch Youtube video with Clair, otherwise you could listen.

It was the first time I saw Dragonair in the anime, because of the banning of "The Legend Of Dratini".

Milotic

G50

No longer posting
This episode was very cool. It was cool seeing a Dratini again, and a Dragonair again after it evolved. Dratini was so cute! The old guy was a great addition to the episodes, and at times was funny. Clair is really cool. The purification ritual was very cool to see.

60/100

7threst

Clair was probably one of my favorite gym leader from Johto. I loved her personality and her favoritism in dragon-type Pokémon and it was good that she was shown for five consecutive episodes. This episode really made a good introduction to the Dragon arc and this is really one of my favorite arcs out of Johto - enough events happened during this arc.

Blessed

A decent episode, nice to see Clair's debut. I thought the Dratini was cute and I liked how Gyrados was protecting it. I loved the Lance flashback and TR's old people disguise too.

I really liked this episode. Mainly because it showed off Clair, Dratini, and Dragonair. Clair is so cool. Dragonair's ability to control the weather is really cool as well.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I recently rewatched this episode after many years. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time I saw it. Clair has always been one of my favourite Johto Gym Leaders, so I was glad to see her in this episode. Though, it was a little strange to see her wearing "regular" clothes during most of this episode and not her usual outfit. :p
The ritual thing at the end was interesting. Also, Dratini is adorable.

Zamin

This was epic and I loved the ritual at the end of the episode!

Awesome!!!

Maybe it was just that one shot (as Dratini's evolving), but Dragonair is a lot bigger than I thought it was.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Dratini sunbathing was so adorable and Kaburagi was so short and quirky as Clair's assistant. I cackled at Team Rocket casually relaxing by the river and I also liked that Lance was referenced to here. Jessie and James's old people disguises made me howl and I was glad that despite Dragonair's presence, Clair's Gyarados still got a chance to shine.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A decent enough episode.I felt sorry for Clair when she shielded Dratini from the deflected Thunderbolt.Kaburagi was hilarious and I liked Clair demonstrating her highly acrobatic abilities.Also,the whole purification ritual was cool.
9/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow Dratini was so adorable and I liked how Clair was portrayed as being nice unlike her game counterpart ha ha. The Lance flashback was nice as well and I liked how the Dragon Fang served a big purpose. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
Clair was alright but I liked her Gym ref and her Dratini more. That dragon ritual was a nice touch on an overall mediocre episode. 6/10