• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!! Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debate?

Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debates when it has something to say

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Pesky Persian. People aren't going to take "because the bible says so" any more seriously than if their parent says "because I said so" if they don't believe in it.

This. People have no obligation to the Bible if they aren't Christian. The Bible is totally admissible as evidence as to if something is in line with Christian morality, but in a debate involving the morality of a certain issue, no undue weight should be given to any religion and points should be made from a secular point of view.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Errmm no.

It's like the whole "If your friend told you to jump off of a cliff" shtick. The Bible shouldn't full-on control your every action as if doing otherwise would be the sin of sins.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Errmm no.

It's like the whole "If your friend told you to jump off of a cliff" shtick. The Bible shouldn't full-on control your every action as if doing otherwise would be the sin of sins.

I don't really see how this relates to "following the crowd" idea. Sure, a lot of religious followers have been accused of having herd mentality (and some of them do), but I don't really think that's the point Mattj was trying to convey. It's a debate about whether or not the Bible is a credible source for debates, not whether it should control your every action or not.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I don't really see how this relates to "following the crowd" idea. Sure, a lot of religious followers have been accused of having herd mentality (and some of them do), but I don't really think that's the point Mattj was trying to convey. It's a debate about whether or not the Bible is a credible source for debates, not whether it should control your every action or not.

Eh? Suppose delving a bit off-topic's an utter buzzkill around here. >.>

Well, i'll keep that in mind, dude. -w-

Anyways, people want some legitimate reasoning as 2 why they should stop doing or start doing certain things. "The Bible Says So" is a terrible answer and has NEVER justified anything. It's just some half-arse way of attempting a retorte when you can't find a real answer.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Eh? Suppose delving a bit off-topic's an utter buzzkill around here. >.>

Well, i'll keep that in mind, dude. -w-

Anyways, people want some legitimate reasoning as 2 why they should stop doing or start doing certain things. "The Bible Says So" is a terrible answer and has NEVER justified anything. It's just some half-arse way of attempting a retorte when you can't find a real answer.

I didn't mean for it to come across as rude or bossy. I apologize if it did. I was really just trying to prompt more relevant discussion. =)

Profesco

gone gently
It's old / outdated. I do not deny that the last books of the Bible were written circa 70 AD, and the earliest books were written circa 1450-ish BC. That makes them between 2000-ish and 3500-ish years old. That's pdang old. While I can understand where the "it was written for a different day and age" argument is coming from, I'd have to respectfully disagree with it. I see the Bible's seasoned age as a credit to its worth. Many religious texts have come and gone throughout history. The Bible is still around, and has been the best selling book in all of history, because it's doing something right. It's full of timeless truths that, while you may personally disagree with them, millions upon millions of people throughout history and around the world have agreed with regardless of the "day and age" they currently live(d) in.

I cannot see any reason why the Bible's age could be used to disqualify it from any debate where it has something to say, today.
The Bible is a poor modern source because it was written without modern knowledge. A "truth" thousands of years ago is not going to be a "truth" in 2011. Take the passages in Leviticus about curing leprosy by slaying a bird and sprinkling its blood over the leper (I'm greatly simplifying). No one with even an inkling of medical understanding today would bother treating their patients based on the directions in the Bible. In terms of treating leprosy, the Bible is factually, medically, biologically incorrect. The same charge of outdatedness and insufficiency can be equally applied to any other Biblical recommendations that seek to reach beyond the constrains of the context and time in which it was written.

If you believe the Bible is a perfectly valid source for guiding one's actions in every case in which it makes a claim, then you must necessarily believe sprinkling a slain bird's blood on a victim of leprosy constitutes an equally effective treatment as the administration of Dapsone, Rifampin, and/or Clofazimine. If you'd treat your leprous daughter with the latter instead of the former, you are conceding that the Bible's information is outdated or based on a lack of proper information.

It's not peer-reviewed / subject to update. I can understand how a person who views the Bible as a simple "work of man" could reasonably raise the charge that because it's not peer reviewed or subject to update as new information and discoveries come about, it is not a legitimate source for debates today. If the Bible truly is just a collection of men's thoughts, then yes, it is absolutely outdated.

While you do have the right to believe that for various reasons, millions upon millions of others do believe the Bible when it says it was inspired of God for various reasons. The fact that one person doesn't believe it doesn't "automatically" discount what it has to offer to any debate any more than the fact that another person doesn't believe what the APA or any other source has to say.

If the Bible is what it says it is, it has no need to bee peer-reviewed or subject to update. If the God of the Universe really is the author, what peer would review it? Who could update it? The real problem probably has more to do with people rejecting its claims than it not being peer reviewed or updated with modern times. It makes no sense that a Book that claims to be the pure, divine word of God would be subject to critique.

I do not see how the fact that the Bible has not been updated (since 70ish AD) and was never peer-reviewed should hinder its entrance as evidence in any debate, today.
I'm sure that there are substantial historical proofs that the Scriptures were written by the people we understand to be the authors. Matthew was a real person and he truly did contribute to the Biblical literature, for example. For the matter of who wrote the Bible, I think it's quite uncontroversial and necessary to admit that men are responsible, because we have corroborating evidence that such is the case. In the case of divine inspiration, however, what corroborating evidence is there? Such a claim from the Bible itself is not sufficient. Take this analogy: I hereby claim that everything I've written in this post is divinely inspired by Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, and so is incontrovertible and eternal truth. I assume you don't automatically believe me, mattj, and you have good reason not to. My claiming such a thing is not proof that it's true. You have to look elsewhere to confirm such a claim.

The fact that one person doesn't believe the Bible is divinely inspired has no bearing on the Bible's credit as a valid source of information, you're right. The fact that millions of people do believe the Bible is divinely inspired also has no bearing on the Bible's credit as a valid source of information, and for exactly the same reason: the belief of an individual (or collection of individuals) is not the determining factor in what constitutes evidence or truth.

I may place a red pebble in a black envelope, and tell everyone that there's a green pebble inside my envelope. Some people may believe there's a red pebble inside, some may believe there's a green pebble inside, and some may think I'm playing a con game and believe there is no pebble inside at all. The truth of what is inside the envelope is distinct from and unrelated to each and every one of those beliefs. That some people believe the pebble is red is not what makes the pebble red. Only when I open the envelope and pull out the red pebble for everyone to see for themselves (peer review) will I have evidence of the envelope's truth. Only when you open the Bible and pull out God for everyone to see for themselves (peer review) will you finally have evidence of the Bible's truth.

It's full of morally disagreeable dictates. You absolutely do have the right to disagree with the claims, and commands, of the Bible. Millions upon millions of people throughout history and around the world have. As far as I can tell though, that doesn't disqualify a source from a debate. I, and millions of others, disagree with the APA's current decision that homosexuality is a choice. That doesn't automatically disqualify the APA's position from current debates. Why would disagreeing with the Bible's contents disqualify what it has to say from debates these days?

Disagreeing with a source is no reason to disqualify it from a debate, today.

You are correct in saying that disagreeing with a source is no reason to disqualify it as evidence, but you need to adjust the argument preceeding that statement. It's possible to disagree with an opinion, but not with a fact (e.g. you can disagree that Julia Roberts is prettier than Taylor Swift, but you can't disagree that she is older than Taylor Swift). "Disagreement" with a fact necessarily takes the form of proving the fact untrue - rather, that it's not a fact at all. Granted, the world is amazingly complex and intricate in its detail, so many facts are defined by statistical and probabilistic certainty as opposed to absolute truths, but the principle holds.

Science has proven its claims to be false. With all due respect, this is a severely misinformed position. While the general picture that modern science paints of the origin of the universe and all the diversity of life in it does contradict the common, mainstream Christian understanding of the details of Genesis, there is no scientific finding that directly and without question or objection says "Here! This one specific verse is wrong because of findings X, Y, and Z!" Equally, many other secular sources have countering studies that disagree with them. There are few, if in fact any, studies, papers, and positions that have no objections anywhere.

Just because the modern scientific consensus does not agree with some of the beliefs of modern, mainstream Christianity, that alone doesn't mean that the Bible itself, not the beliefs of the community, should be brushed aside in any debate, today.

Take the example of the cure for leprosy again. Or the heliocentric structure of our solar system. Or the geological age of the Earth. There are too many examples for me to even remember them all. If the "general picture" that thousands of years and multiple separate disciplines of scientific inquiry and evidence paints of the natural world does indeed contradict the common Christian account from Genesis - if antibiotics treat leprosy better than birds' blood; if the rest of the universe does not revolve in orbit around the Earth at its center; if people, animals, artifacts, and even the planet itself existed more than 6,000-some odd years ago - then how do you suppose there is no discovery in science that disproves the claim of any single, specific verse?

This portion of your post doesn't make any sense, mattj. If you'd like to keep arguing it, where is your proof for this idea that no scientific finding shows the inaccuracy of any Biblical verse? I'm not even sure a contemporary research journal publication that explains its findings in terms of matching up each result with a Biblical verse it proves wrong exists. =/

None of its claims are observable or testable. Admittedly, the Bible is not a science text book. It is not filled with detailed and organized instructions on how to replicate results. A good portion of it requires simple faith on the part of readers to accept its claims. But not all of it. While admittedly subjective, many times the God of the Bible says "try me", "test me", "see if I don't do what I said I would do". Churches are a good example that it's claims are reproducible. I can absolutely believe you when you say "I tried it and it didn't work for me", but we tried it and it did work. You can't say that we didn't read what it said to do, do it, and get the results it said it would give. Many widely accepted studies have countering studies where different results were found.

The claims of the Bible are just as testable, observable, reproducible, and yes subjective as any other study (especially psychological studies), and should not be witheld as evidence in a debate just because it didn't work for a group of people.

If an experiment didn't work (didn't confirm the hypothesis), then it is by definition not evidence of the hypothesis's truth, mattj. This portion of your post exposes a fundamental and frankly disconcerting misunderstanding of how scientific thought works. =/

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? Why? I'd love to hear what you think! The point of this thread isn't to convince you of the authority of the Bible. I personally don't think that it's possible to "argue someone into believing the Bible". The point of this thread is to discuss whether or not the Bible has any relevance in modern debates, or whether it's just a stuffy, musty, outdated old book that has nothing to add anymore.
As a final point, I will take you to a hypothetical world in which every last one of your points above was perfectly uncounterable and every conclusion you proposed was taken as sound. In such a case, your arguments that confirm the validity of the Bible as a source of truth for modern times all equally confirm the validity of every other religion's scripture or Bible-equivalent as sources of truth for modern times. If the claims in the Bible are true according to your arguments here, including those about morality and worship and the afterlife, then to an equal degree so are the claims in the Qur'an and Hadith, the Torah, the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Sutras, the Iliad and the Odyssey, the Five Classics, the Book of the Dead, the Svetambara, the Satanic Bible, the Kojiki, the Adi Granth, the Tao Te Ching, the Book of Shadows, the Avesta collection, and more. And many of the worship directions and truth claims in these sacred texts contradict those of the Bible (as well as of one another). If the fact that a book claims to be the direct expression of the deity it espouses is enough to make that book a source of incontrovertible and eternal truth, then all of these contradictory claims would be true. And here is where we paraphrase the quote out of Bianca~'s signature: for the same reasons one religion is not a perfect source of truth, the other religions are likewise not perfect sources of truth.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I didn't mean for it to come across as rude or bossy. I apologize if it did. I was really just trying to prompt more relevant discussion. =)

Ehh, discussing religion-related matters doesn't really interest me at all. I mean, if you're a Godbro then good 4 you! Me? I'll see what happens as time goes on. -w-

Anyways, I just thought i'd say my peace on this 'cause i've heard that exact same phrase 2 many times already! So yea, back 2 the phrase discussion! >:0

Ioneos

old geezer
BIBLE SEZ SO is not a valid argument. Like your parents saying because I said so. You have no evidence and no proof to back it up. Sorry to allyou christians, but I, as a 12-year old atheist (how many times have you heard that before?), don't believe in god, Jesus, or anything else in the bible (LGTB is NOT wrong, and neither is mastur... Yeah) as true.

KuroiMawile

(it's hard to make a post without repeating anything others have said, but)

The Bible can have a place in modern debates. Religion can have a place in modern debates. However, I do not, for one second, believe either should be used as a defense in any and all debates. I'm someone who does not think religion has a place in debates outside of specifically religious ones. This is because religion, as you mentioned with Bible, require a level of faith. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't debates supposed to be about one side offering the most persuasive and accurate argument? How can you do that when your argument is: "God says so, it's in the Bible,". Not only is that a horrible argument, it is also a dead-end statement. What is there to say to discredit that, without derailing the entire debate into... what previous Gay topics fall to. Debating scriptures?
I voted no, because unless the topic is calling for something that the Bible, or any other religious text can add to, without effectively being a '/tread' or derailing, it really doesn't have a place.
[Now a topic on 'Morality: What is right?' I could see the Bible and religion being used to say 'Bible says A, B, C are good things to practice, I've done them and can vouch']

burnley95

Trade Negotiator
I'm sorry, it has no say in debates for many reasons. You can believe in it, sure, no problem. But when you reprise people because of the bible, there is a serious issue. My view is you can't judge people or reprise them due to the bible saying something and you believing it without looking foolish and BEING foolish.

Well, when I saw the thread title, I was actually a tad startled, thinking you might have just made a debate that would turn out badly, but when I saw the detail you put into your first post, I realized it should be a pretty good debate. Good job! I hope to help you make this debate even better, and sharpen your skills.

First of all, I'm very glad you pointed out that it is multiple books. I'm writing an article right now that talks about the multiple humans who wrote the books. I point out how it is important for Christians to remember the human authors, and how it is unjust for skeptical criticisms to treat it as only one book when there are clearly many authors. My next response depends on the multiple human authors:

Regardless of whether or not you personally accept it, the Bible itself claims to be inspired of God, penned by man. It was not written by God, or Jesus, in the sense that God did not actually pen the words on the paper. It does, however, claim to be inspired by God.
To start, I believe that God is the divine author. In all fairness, however, the statement you quoted is something Peter wrote (though there is debate, I believe II Peter was written by Peter). Thus, unless you already know that God has given us the Bible, that statement doesn't prove that each biblical book claims to be from God. Though I believe the gospels are from God, they don't make that claim for themselves. We need to be careful in how we build our case for inspiration (and for that I recommend an excellent article by Daniel B. Wallace).

Just one great example of just how well this worked is the book Isaiah. A complete copy that has been dated to 335-ish BC (1100 years older than the more common and widely used Leningrad Codex). Even though 1100 years of painfully slow hand copying separated this copy and the Leningrad codex, there are zero significant differences between the Dead Sea copy and the Leningrad copy. The only differences were minor grammatical and linguistic changes that would be expected to happen over the course of 1000+ years as language tends to change. While I can obviously understand the skepticism that many have, over the transmission of the Bible over thousands of years by flawed men, we have countless examples like this. They did an exceptionally good job of handing down their sacred scriptures, by hand from one generation to the next.
Mentioning that specific scroll, known as the St. Mark's Isaiah scroll (because it was purchased by the St. Mark's monastery in Jerusalem) is a very good idea. I would like to point out a few things here as well:

First, it would probably be best to point out that you probably shouldn't cite the earliest possible date for that scroll. It is likely from a bit later than the oldest possible date. Millar Burrows, in his book The Dead Sea Scrolls (pages 118-119 & 89), dates it to probably before 100 B.C. (or possibly before 150 B.C.)

Additionally, I would point out that the earliest Isaiah scroll is not quite so close as you seemed to suggest:
“Many of the differences between the St. Mark’s Isaiah scroll and the Masoretic text can be explained as mistakes in copying. Apart from these, there is a remarkable agreement, on the whole, with the text found in the medieval manuscripts. Such agreement in a manuscript so much older gives reassuring testimony to the general accuracy of the traditional text. It does not, however, prove that the latter is the original text of Isaiah.”
(Millar Burrows, The Dead Sea Scrolls [1983 edition], page 303.

Since Burrows was part of the Revised Standard Version committee, he discusses some the readings that the RSV adopted from the oldest Isaiah scroll:
In Isaiah 60:19, the oldest scroll says “nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you by night.” (The last two words, "by night" were most likely omitted from the traditional text of the Old Testament.

In Isaiah 56:12, the oldest scroll has “let me get wine” instead of the traditional “let us get wine.”

“The only difference of which I am aware that could make a difference would be in Isaiah 52:14, of which Burrows writes:
In Isaiah 52:14, where the Masoretic text, translated literally, reads ‘marred more than a man was his appearance,’ the St. Mark’s scroll says—or seems to say—‘I have anointed more than a man his appearance.’ Barthélemy [of the French School of Archeology in Jerusalem] takes this strange statement to mean, ‘I have anointed him, so that his appearance surpasses that of a man.’”
(Pages 313-314)

This would provide additional support for the idea of a Messiah who is more than a mere human being, yet it would seem to contradict 53:2, which says "when we see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him." Yet Burrows points out that anointing someone's appearance makes little sense. He also cites some scholars who believe it may be just an unusual form of the word "marred" as in the traditional text. He and I are both unconvinced by Barthélemy’s argument.

So, the differences, while slightly more than you suggested, are still not major. They help us in attempting to determine the original text, which is very similar in the vast majority of passages.

It's not peer-reviewed / subject to update.I can understand how a person who views the Bible as a simple "work of man" could reasonably raise the charge that because it's not peer reviewed or subject to update as new information and discoveries come about, it is not a legitimate source for debates today. If the Bible truly is just a collection of men's thoughts, then yes, it is absolutely outdated.
I think it was peer-reviewed! (Obviously, I'm joking a bit, because peer-review is a precise term for a modern process.) This is why I disagree strongly with your last statement. Many of these people witnessed God acting in history. They didn't simply walk into a cave one day and get an unverifiable message from an unverifiable God. The witnesses to Jesus' resurrection saw things that happened in the real world. That can never be outdated, because it is a matter of history.

Much of what I said here and in the previous paragraph also apply to the criticism that the Bible is not verifiable. Using the criteria of historical scholarship, the Bible holds up exceedingly well. This is true as long as they don't assume supernatural things are impossible. Following such examples as C. S. Lewis, Princeton scholar Bruce Metzger offers this practical principle for examining reports of miraculous things in the Bible: “One should beware of being influenced by an outmoded rationalistic prejudice against the possibility of miracles” (The Text of the New Testament: Its Background, Growth, and Content [2nd edition, 1983], page 134).

*I disagree with your thoughts on the Bible being testable. Yes, you can say that you prayed to God for something to happen and it happened, therefore God did it. However, what about people of other religions who have prayed to their various deities and found the same results? Is this proof that their beliefs are testable and that their gods are real? This also brings me to my next line of thought in this debate…

What makes the Bible so special? Why is it the religious text that should be accepted as a credible source for a debate? What about the Vedas, the Lotus Sutra, the Analects, Qur’an, or any other religious texts? In your opinion, are these just as relevant and credible as the Bible? Why or why not? The Qur’an is holy text of Islam, which believes in the same God that Christians and Jews believe in. Many of the others, the Vedas especially, predate the Bible (and even the Torah) by thousands of years. Why are these not as relevant?
I think you are correct about not testing the Bible by something like prayer. After all, I believe that people's feelings are not really the best guide to truth.

There are many differences between the Bible and the books considered sacred by other religions. Let's use Buddhism as an example: How does anyone know whether Buddha was enlightened? It wasn't something that could be witnessed. Muhammad claimed to be a prophet. How do we know? The answer I've gotten from several Muslims is that the Qur'an is the most beautiful book in the world. This could be debated in the same way that favorite Pokémon are debated. In short, one of the biggest differences is the way you don't have to just take the word of a holy book, you can find out by using historical methods, that people testified that Jesus, after being executed, was alive after that. This convinced even skeptics like Jesus' brother James. Thomas is remembered for doubting, but he couldn't deny what he saw. And Paul didn't want to see a risen Jesus, but...Jesus wanted to be seen.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to post on the first page....

randomspot555

The Bible has plenty of room in debate. However, when someone says "I believe X because of [bible passage/citation of Bible]", and someone challenges that belief, then you need to prove why the Bible is a valid source in that particular instance.

In the posts where I was quoted, it was in the context of what is "wrong" with gays and lesbians. In that case, you'd need to prove why the Bible is to be a valid source. If a hypothetical Bible thumper would say "It's the word of God", then you'd better be ready to prove God exists.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
I think you are correct about not testing the Bible by something like prayer. After all, I believe that people's feelings are not really the best guide to truth.

There are many differences between the Bible and the books considered sacred by other religions. Let's use Buddhism as an example: How does anyone know whether Buddha was enlightened? It wasn't something that could be witnessed. Muhammad claimed to be a prophet. How do we know? The answer I've gotten from several Muslims is that the Qur'an is the most beautiful book in the world. This could be debated in the same way that favorite Pokémon are debated. In short, one of the biggest differences is the way you don't have to just take the word of a holy book, you can find out by using historical methods, that people testified that Jesus, after being executed, was alive after that. This convinced even skeptics like Jesus' brother James. Thomas is remembered for doubting, but he couldn't deny what he saw. And Paul didn't want to see a risen Jesus, but...Jesus wanted to be seen.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to post on the first page....

When it comes to Jesus' Resurrection, I do believe there was a debate here some while back about whether or not there is actual, historical proof of that. I will admit that I only remember bits and pieces from the thread, but it was a pretty interesting read if you paid attention mostly to the more insightful posts. If you want to take the "How do we know...?" stance: How do we know Jesus was really the Son of God? How do we know he really ascended into heaven? How do we know there even is a heaven or a hell? How do we know there even is a God? No matter how you slice it, there is still an element of faith involved. Buddha was a real person. Muhammad was a real person. Jesus was a real person. (From what I've seen anyway, I haven't seen anyone say that none of them were real people.) However, the details about whether or not they actually did what they are said to have done is very much up for debate.

Profesco

gone gently
^ To add to that, Pesky Persian, historical records of witnesses testifying to have seen a living Jesus post execution are no different in principle than modern records of witnesses testifying to have seen gurus and yogis levitate or Criss Angel walk straight down the outer wall of a building with no scaling equipment.

Even the staunchest of skeptics can occasionally be convinced by particularly good illusions, tricks, accidents, mistakes, or human error biases (and compare the range of knowledge of the natural world available to skeptics today to the range of knowledge available to skeptics of two millennia ago). I believe the very argument can be, and occasionally is, applied to modern scientists. Witness testimony doesn't provide conclusive proof of the divinity of Jesus, let alone of the existence or specific decrees of God, and so is that much of a step further from providing corroborative proof of the Bible's divine origin as a whole.

When it comes to Jesus' Resurrection, I do believe there was a debate here some while back about whether or not there is actual, historical proof of that. I will admit that I only remember bits and pieces from the thread, but it was a pretty interesting read if you paid attention mostly to the more insightful posts. If you want to take the "How do we know...?" stance: How do we know Jesus was really the Son of God? How do we know he really ascended into heaven? How do we know there even is a heaven or a hell? How do we know there even is a God? No matter how you slice it, there is still an element of faith involved. Buddha was a real person. Muhammad was a real person. Jesus was a real person. (From what I've seen anyway, I haven't seen anyone say that none of them were real people.) However, the details about whether or not they actually did what they are said to have done is very much up for debate.
While I do not deny that there is an element of faith about some things, there is not about all of them. I do not have to, as my neighbor once put it, "take it all on faith" (odd because he had none). In any case, I don't pretend that the existence of heaven and hell is a truly historical matter. I have faith in Jesus, and so I hold that He spoke correctly about such things.

Also, the quote I provided about miracles shows much of where the skeptics went wrong in that debate. Some even said things like:
Guys, I think you are all missing the elephant in the room here:

People can't come back from the dead.
You see? If you deny at the outset the possibility of things like the resurrection, you obviously aren't going to be convinced by the evidence for it.

That same basic thing applies to other aspects of Jesus' person. I would take the time to justify why the oldest surviving materials record that Jesus believed He was the Son of God, but it is getting late. I truly apologize. However, as people like C. S. Lewis and Bruce Metzger have pointed out, there are only so many possibilities when a person claims to be the Son of God. If it is true, then He is properly worshiped. If it is false, then He either knew it was false (which would make Him a liar), or He didn't know (which would make him insane). Yet Jesus was known for being very much against lying, and the gospels show Jesus behaving in ways that are very sane. He knew how to respond to people in public debate, yet also treated women and children with kindness, dignity, and respect. The obvious conclusion is that He is the Son of God.

The Bible is a poor modern source because it was written without modern knowledge. A "truth" thousands of years ago is not going to be a "truth" in 2011. Take the passages in Leviticus about curing leprosy by slaying a bird and sprinkling its blood over the leper (I'm greatly simplifying).
I'm not sure that's what the Bible says, so it would be best for you to produce the exact quotation. In addition, that may not be speaking of a natural event at all, but a supernatural cure, which is not guaranteed people today.

Only when you open the Bible and pull out God for everyone to see for themselves (peer review) will you finally have evidence of the Bible's truth.
Things can be true without being inspired by God. You should simply replace the last word "truth" with "inspiration."

Or the heliocentric structure of our solar system.
According to World Book Encyclopedia, "In 1613, Galileo wrote a letter in which he tried to show that the Copernican theory was consistent with both Catholic doctrine and proper Biblical interpretation." (1994 edition, G:11-12)

It would be wrong to assume, as many do, that references in the Bible to things like "four corners of the earth" must be taken woodenly literally.

As a final point, I will take you to a hypothetical world in which every last one of your points above was perfectly uncounterable and every conclusion you proposed was taken as sound. In such a case, your arguments that confirm the validity of the Bible as a source of truth for modern times all equally confirm the validity of every other religion's scripture or Bible-equivalent as sources of truth for modern times. If the claims in the Bible are true according to your arguments here, including those about morality and worship and the afterlife, then to an equal degree so are the claims in the Qur'an and Hadith, the Torah, the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Sutras, the Iliad and the Odyssey, the Five Classics, the Book of the Dead, the Svetambara, the Satanic Bible, the Kojiki, the Adi Granth, the Tao Te Ching, the Book of Shadows, the Avesta collection, and more. And many of the worship directions and truth claims in these sacred texts contradict those of the Bible (as well as of one another). If the fact that a book claims to be the direct expression of the deity it espouses is enough to make that book a source of incontrovertible and eternal truth, then all of these contradictory claims would be true. And here is where we paraphrase the quote out of Bianca~'s signature: for the same reasons one religion is not a perfect source of truth, the other religions are likewise not perfect sources of truth.
You've made the basic same criticism before. Would you like to provide evidence that Buddha was enlightened? Are there specific historical claims in the Vedas that are testable?

The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is what grounds our beliefs in reality, and sets our book apart.

EDIT:
^ To add to that, Pesky Persian, historical records of witnesses testifying to have seen a living Jesus post execution are no different in principle than modern records of witnesses testifying to have seen gurus and yogis levitate or Criss Angel walk straight down the outer wall of a building with no scaling equipment.

Even the staunchest of skeptics can occasionally be convinced by particularly good illusions, tricks, accidents, mistakes, or human error biases (and compare the range of knowledge of the natural world available to skeptics today to the range of knowledge available to skeptics of two millennia ago). I believe the very argument can be, and occasionally is, applied to modern scientists. Witness testimony doesn't provide conclusive proof of the divinity of Jesus, let alone of the existence or specific decrees of God, and so is that much of a step further from providing corroborative proof of the Bible's divine origin as a whole.
You forgot Paul's claim to being blind. And his willingness to go to the death proclaiming that He'd seen Jesus.

And as I said above, some of the things you mentioned, like the existence of heaven and hell, can only be supported indirectly (but don't forget the dark matter). I don't expect eyewitness testimony to instantly confirm all of the Bible's claims, but it is the definitive starting point.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
That same basic thing applies to other aspects of Jesus' person. I would take the time to justify why the oldest surviving materials record that Jesus believed He was the Son of God, but it is getting late. I truly apologize. However, as people like C. S. Lewis and Bruce Metzger have pointed out, there are only so many possibilities when a person claims to be the Son of God. If it is true, then He is properly worshiped. If it is false, then He either knew it was false (which would make Him a liar), or He didn't know (which would make him insane). Yet Jesus was known for being very much against lying, and the gospels show Jesus behaving in ways that are very sane. He knew how to respond to people in public debate, yet also treated women and children with kindness, dignity, and respect. The obvious conclusion is that He is the Son of God.

Being very much against lying is not equivalent to not telling any lies at all. But that's a technical point; I'm no more inclined to think Jesus was lying than that he was simply mistaken, which leads to your next point. People suffering a delusion (insanity, to match your term) are perfectly capable of acting in otherwise sane and rational ways; there is no rule of delusion that inhibits the person from being kind to women and children, or from being an eloquent public speaker. Your options, though, both carry rather negative denotations. It is a possiblity that Jesus was simply mistaken/confused/disingenuous about his divinity, but had only the most noble of intentions and kindest of hearts. His being the Son of God is not the only conclusion, let alone the obvious one. Unless...

You see? If you deny at the outset the possibility of things like [Jesus's fallibility], you obviously aren't going to be convinced by the evidence for it. [edits mine]

I'm not sure that's what the Bible says, so it would be best for you to produce the exact quotation. In addition, that may not be speaking of a natural event at all, but a supernatural cure, which is not guaranteed people today.

Here's one from the web:

"1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 This shall be the law of the aleper in the day of his cleansing: He shall be brought unto the bpriest:

3 And the priest shall go forth out of the camp; and the priest shall look, and, behold, if the plague of leprosy be ahealed in the leper;

4 Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and ascarlet, and hyssop:

5 And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water:

6 As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water:

7 And he shall sprinkle upon him that is to be cleansed from the leprosy seven times, and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.

8 And he that is to be cleansed shall wash his clothes, and ashave off all his hair, and wash himself in water, that he may be clean: and after that he shall come into the camp, and shall tarry abroad out of his tent seven days.

9 But it shall be on the seventh day, that he shall shave all his hair off his head and his beard and his eyebrows, even all his hair he shall shave off: and he shall wash his clothes, also he shall wash his flesh in water, and he shall be clean.
"

Reading more closely, this series of instructions could apply as post-doctoral care for leprosy on the mend or some such (an aspirin regimen after the doctor's appointment) rather than a cure. It remains an archaic (and arguably absurd) practice unsupported by contemporary knowledge about the world.

Things can be true without being inspired by God. You should simply replace the last word "truth" with "inspiration."

A fair point, and I nearly made the change, but as the post I was replying to claimed that God's divine inspiration of the Bible was the reason for any and all truths therein, I think what I said retains its usefulness in context.

According to World Book Encyclopedia, "In 1613, Galileo wrote a letter in which he tried to show that the Copernican theory was consistent with both Catholic doctrine and proper Biblical interpretation." (1994 edition, G:11-12)

It would be wrong to assume, as many do, that references in the Bible to things like "four corners of the earth" must be taken woodenly literally.

I didn't have anything about "four corners of the earth" in mind when I wrote that post, actually. You're overestimating my reservoire of Biblical knowledge, TFP. But anyway, I've got some quotes too. First, an excerpt from the letter you mention:

"....As therefore, the Holy Scriptures in many places not only admit but actually require a different explanation for what seems to be the literal one, it seems to me that they ought to be reserved for the last place in mathematical discussions. For they, like nature, owe their origin to the Divine Word; the former is inspired by the Holy Spirit, the latter as the fulfillment of the Divine commands; it was necessary, however in Holy Scripture, in order to accomodate itself to the understanding of the majority, to say many things which apparently differ from the precise meaning. Nature, on the contrary, is inexorable and unchangeable, and cares not whether her hidden causes and modes of working are intelligible to the human understanding or not, and never deviates on that account from her prescribed laws. It appears to me therefore that no effect of nature, which experience places before our eyes, or is the necessary conclusion derived from evidence, should be rendered doubtful by passages of Scripture which contain thousands of words admitting of various interpretations, for every sentence of Scripture is not bound by such rigid laws as is every effect of nature....

Since two truths can obviously never contradict each other, it is the part of wise interpreters of Holy Scripture to take the pains to find out the real meaning of its statemments, in accordance wtih the conclusions regarding nature which are quite certain, either from the clear evidence of sense or from necessary demonstration. As therefore the Bible, although dictated by the Holy Spirit, admits, from the reasons given above, in many passages of an interpretation other than the literal one; and as, moreover, we cannot maintain with certainty that all interpreters are inspired by God, I think it would be the part of wisdom not to allow any one to apply passages of Scripture in such a way as to force them to support, as true, conclusions concerning nature the contrary of which may afterwards be revealed by the evidence of our senses or by necessary demonstration. Who will set bounds to man's understanding? Who can assure us that everything that can be known in the world is already known? It would therefore perhaps be best not to add, without necessity, to the articles of faith which refer to salvation and the defence of holy religion, and which are so strong that they are in no danger of having at any time cogent reasons brought against them, especially when the desire to add to them proceeds from persons who, although quite enlightened when they speak under Divine guidance, are obviously destitute of those faculties which are needed, I will not say for the refutation, but even for the understanding of the demonstrations by which the higher sciences enforce their conclusions.

I am inclined to think that the authority of Holy Scripture is intended to convince men of those truths which are necessary for their salvation, and which being far above man's understanding cannot be made credible by any learning, or any other means than revelation by the Holy Spirit. But that the same God has endowed us with senses, reason, and understanding, does not permit us to use them, and desires to acquaint us in any other way with such knowledge as we are in a position to acquire for ourselves by means of those faculties, that it seems to me I am not bound to believe, especially concerning those sciences about which the Holy Scriptures contain only small fragments and varying conclusions; and this is precisely the case with astronomy, of which there is so little that the planet are not even all enumerated...."

In which Galileo's attempt to "show that the Copernican theory was consistent with both Catholic doctrine and proper Biblical interpretation" consists of his arguing against scriptural literalism.

And just about two decades later, Galileo was charged with heresy for his astronomic discoveries:

"Whereas you, Galileo, son of the late Vincenzio Galilei, of Florence, aged seventy years, were denounced in 1615, to this Holy Office, for holding as true a false doctrine taught by many, namely, that the sun is immovable in the center of the world, and that the earth moves, and also with a diurnal motion; also, for having pupils whom you instructed in the same opinions; also, for maintaining a correspondence on the same with some German mathematicians; also for publishing certain letters on the sun-spots, in which you developed the same doctrine as true; also, for answering the objections which were continually produced from the Holy Scriptures, by glozing the said Scriptures according to your own meaning; and whereas thereupon was produced the copy of a writing, in form of a letter professedly written by you to a person formerly your pupil, in which, following the hypothesis of Copernicus, you include several propositions contrary to the true sense and authority of the Holy Scriptures; therefore (this Holy Tribunal being desirous of providing against the disorder and mischief which were thence proceeding and increasing to the detriment of the Holy Faith) by the desire of his Holiness and the Most Emminent Lords, Cardinals of this supreme and universal Inquisition, the two propositions of the stability of the sun, and the motion of the earth, were qualified by the Theological Qualifiers as follows:

The proposition that the sun is in the center of the world and immovable from its place is absurd, philosophically false, and formally heretical; because it is expressly contrary to Holy Scriptures.
The proposition that the earth is not the center of the world, nor immovable, but that it moves, and also with a diurnal action, is also absurd, philosophically false, and, theologically considered, at least erroneous in faith.
Therefore . . . , invoking the most holy name of our Lord Jesus Christ and of His Most Glorious Mother Mary, We pronounce this Our final sentence: We pronounce, judge, and declare, that you, the said Galileo . . . have rendered yourself vehemently suspected by this Holy Office of heresy, that is, of having believed and held the doctrine (which is false and contrary to the Holy and Divine Scriptures) that the sun is the center of the world, and that it does not move from east to west, and that the earth does move, and is not the center of the world; also, that an opinion can be held and supported as probable, after it has been declared and finally decreed contrary to the Holy Scripture, and, consequently, that you have incurred all the censures and penalties enjoined and promulgated in the sacred canons and other general and particular constituents against delinquents of this description. From which it is Our pleasure that you be absolved, provided that with a sincere heart and unfeigned faith, in Our presence, you abjure, curse, and detest, the said error and heresies, and every other error and heresy contrary to the Catholic and Apostolic Church of Rome.
"

(I bolded some things for mattj's benefit, since he and I were discussing his conviction in a lack of scientific discoveries X, Y, and Z said to disprove this or that verse. It seems that the religious authority of the time explicitly saying that Galileo's discovery was "expressly contrary to Holy Scripture," and placing him under house arrest for the remainder of his life because of it, is as good an "X, Y, Z against verse" situation as he could expect to find.)

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1630galileo.asp

You've made the basic same criticism before. Would you like to provide evidence that Buddha was enlightened? Are there specific historical claims in the Vedas that are testable?

The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is what grounds our beliefs in reality, and sets our book apart.

Well, unfortunately, I've never read the Vedas to date, TFP, so I can't answer that question. However, there's no reason whatsoever to think there's absolutely nothing in the entire Hindu sacred texts of knowledge that is similarly "testable" to anything found in the Bible. As for evidence of the Buddha's enlightenment: he said he was enlightened and many people believed him and corroborated that claim by saying so. Also, look at how long Buddhism has survived.

And remember, now, before you so flippantly dismiss Buddha and the Vedas, don't automatically discount the possibility of anything supernaturally supportive of them. That's, what, intellectual dishonesty or something? Lack of integrity? Some kind of bias? I forget what you called it. ;)

I assume I don't need to re-post my take on the conclusiveness and the reach of evidence for Jesus's resurrection. If only we had a Hindu scholar here to enlighten us (hah, mixing religious metaphors) on any similar evidences in support of their religious foundation, we could move forward in a more fruitful way. =/

You forgot Paul's claim to being blind. And his willingness to go to the death proclaiming that He'd seen Jesus.

Their inclusion doesn't change what I posted. Is Paul the only human in history willing to die out of commitment to the truth of his beliefs? I think such a statement could be made of the hijackers of the 9/11 flights, too. Is their sacrifice proof of the truth of their claims?

(Also, forgive my ignorance, but why mention Paul claiming to be blind? Is that supposed to make him a better eyewitness? @_@)

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
In my opinion it has no place in debates. It is an old book written by Christians, so it is biased and full of false information (no proof that the events in the Bible are real). Also, many people are not Christian, so referring to the Bible in a debate would be like saying "Christiany is right atheism and all other religions are wrong".

If you eliminate religious topics from debate, then there is no way to explain the rationale behind Middle Eastern conflicts. Of course the Bible etc. are relevant.
The only place where the bible (or other sacred tomes) is acceptable in a debate is when the debate is a theological one.

However when someone brings up there religion as a reason that X is good/bad, it isn't something that should be attacked. True, religious belief does not make something right/wrong of itself, it just makes the proposed argument less substantial. Debates require some level of logical support and religion is not a thing of logic.

Vanilluxe

Gear Grind~
There's no 100% proof (or any proof at all) that the Bible is even real, so no, I don't think it should be used to justify things.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Something I was wondering...How do we know that what is in the Bible is really God's word? What if some priest in the olden days wrote their own opinion on things there and passed them off as God's words...

Status
Not open for further replies.