• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!! Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debate?

Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debates when it has something to say

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Well, we don't necessarily have to, but at the same time people shouldn't be offended that we're talking about just the Bible because it's the topic of discussion.

Generally, non-religious people view other holy texts under the same light anyway. You don't have to tell us twice.

Since you mistyped the first commandment, mattj forced himself into a corner. What's he going to say next?
Could you please show us where I said the words "killing is not always killing"? Otherwise, if you're just going to make up conversations and spout off nonsense, could you please go somewhere else? Please and thank you.
Well, if we're including the Bible, should we not consider other religious texts with the exact same grain of salt as we take the Bible? The Qu'ran, the Kama Sutra, the Book of Mormon, the Acrophya? Why limit it to one holy book?
Good question. Why shouldn't we? I'm all ears.
Sorry, I forgot, the commandment is "thou shall not kill", not murder. Doesnt that make it a contradiction?
lol *whew* i love you bro
Two things:

Jesus appears to have been referring directly to heterosexual adultery, explicitly using the word "wife" multiple times. Neither of those passages mentions homosexuality. If we're sticking to the explicit, you should bring the passage where he speaks directly on homosexual relations.

I see no explicit change of rules. Jesus appears to have said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." That doesn't explicitly change the rules; it adds the condition that the first person to cast a stone at the adulterous woman must be someone without sin. Granted, the Bible also holds that every human being inherently is a sinner and so there is a technicality that no human being can start the capitol punishment procedure of stoning, but the rule that those participating in homosexual sex must be put to death remains explicit and unrevoked. Given only the passages you provided here, at least.

(I learn more of the Bible from you than I ever could be bothered to in my own time, and I'm grateful for that. Not least because the passages we discuss happen to be those passages relevant to contemporary ethics.)
An excellent response as always.

I'm 99.99999% sure that there is no verse in the Bible that explicitly says the words "Homosexuality is no longer punishable by death." I don't think that's a problem though.

If you took what I said in that previous conversation about "What the Bible says and doesn't say about the shape of the Earth" to mean that every belief must be strictly based on an explicit spelling out word for word in the Bible, I think you misunderstood me. What I was trying to say is that the Bible doesn't in fact say anywhere explicitly that the earth is flat, square, cubic or any other nonsense, and that the scriptures that those who purport such nonsense do not explicitly say so. So to say "Ha! This verse says the Earth is flat! Therefore the Bible is bunk!" doesn't stand. It doesn't explicitly say that, those words more likely mean that the earth is a sphere, which does make sense.

I'm a firm believer that if you're going to say either "God doesn't like A, B, C" or "The Bible says X, Y, Z" you've gotta back it up with a simple, clear verse. Life is so diverse that as the Apostle John said
John 21:25 said:
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
The 66 books of the Bible cannot explicitly spell out every commandment, every admonition, every sin. There are a lot of generalizations and verses that apply to many different things.

The reason I quoted that story with Jesus and the hooker (lol) is because it was a sexual sin with the same punishment. Its a pretty common belief that its message, that adultery no longer requires the death penalty applies to homosexuality, beastiality, and other sexual sins.

Last edited:

ChedWick

I feel like I'm being exposed to the electric slide of debates here....

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Could you please show us where I said the words "killing is not always killing"? Otherwise, if you're just going to make up conversations and spout off nonsense, could you please go somewhere else? Please and thank you.

Do you actually think that everyone here forgot that you love to misquote people? Your hypocritical nonsense isn't going to fly here.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Please troll somewhere else.
I'm going to answer this with this:

If this is your response, then am I to assume you have no actual intelligence response?

Seriously though, you're just making a fool out of yourself with your desperate attempts to change the subject by misquoting or sidestepping other people's posts. I know you think that the Bible is the best book ever and should be used in all debates, but not everyone feels the same way.

If this is your response, then am I to assume you have no actual intelligence response?
I'm sorry, but I'm a really dumb person. Could you explain to me what an "intelligence response" is? Thank you.

No. In all actuality the reason I responded in the way I did is because your post was completely unintelligible and illogical. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

It seemed like you were trying to say that the commandment "thou shalt not kill" was some kind of a contradiction. You'll have to explain yourself. It doesn't look like a contradiction to me, or millions of other people.

What are you talking about?
I'm going to answer this with this:
I'm glad you found a fapbuddy. You two have fun now.
Seriously though, you're just making a fool out of yourself with your desperate attempts to change the subject by misquoting or sidestepping other people's posts.
I'm making a fool out of myself? You're the one who misquoted me. I can't even read half of your posts. And the ones I can read don't make any logical sense. Are you foreign? I guess it would make your posts a little more understandable if english wasn't your first language. But most of the time the issue is that they make no logical sense. For example:
I know you think that the Bible is the best book ever and should be used in all debates, but not everyone feels the same way.
1) When did I say it was the best book ever?
2) When did I say it should be used in all debates?

Feel free to ignore both questions and make another wild baseless incoherent accusatory post.

get out

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
It isn't a contradiction when you think that the Bible says homosexuals should be put to death, but one of the commandments forbids killing?

Edit: sorry using a stupid IPad, I find it hard to type with this thing.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
It seemed like you were trying to say that the commandment "thou shalt not kill" was some kind of a contradiction. You'll have to explain yourself. It doesn't look like a contradiction to me

Well, unless it says 'thou shalt not murder' (which I've heard some Bibles do say) it confuses some people when it says 'thou shalt not kill' yet people in the Bible do in fact, kill.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
Well, unless it says 'thou shalt not murder' (which I've heard some Bibles do say) it confuses some people when it says 'thou shalt not kill' yet people in the Bible do in fact, kill.

Thank you, Sunny. I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear.

That makes a little more sense! Very good! Now I understand what you're asking.

No. Definitely not a contradiction. The Hebrew word translated as "kill" in the King James Version of the Bible in Exodus 20:11 is translated in more modern translations as "murder". Not all killing is murder, which is what I responded to you earlier.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
That makes a little more sense! Very good! Now I understand what you're asking.

No. Definitely not a contradiction. The Hebrew word translated as "kill" in the King James Version of the Bible in Exodus 20:11 is translated in more modern translations as "murder". Not all killing is murder, which is what I responded to you earlier.

Ok, but I've read some Bibles that say kill. For example, the one I'm looking at now does. I guess we may never really know.

No we definitely can know. Here. Check out
www.blueletterbible.org
Its a web Bible that has dozens of translations, helps, and even the actual Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek texts that all our translations come from.

The Bible really is a simple book. There aren't really many "deep, hidden, mysterious" parts to it.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
No we definitely can know. Here. Check out
www.blueletterbible.org
Its a web Bible that has dozens of translations, helps, and even the actual Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek texts that all our translations come from.

The Bible really is a simple book. There aren't really many "deep, hidden, mysterious" parts to it.

A few things. Firstly, please don't refer to me as a "fapbuddy" no one will respect your opinion if you refer to people so rudely.

Second, I was going off personal experience. I will check that website later.

Third, even if it is supposed to be "murder", isn't it still a contradiction? What I'm trying to say is that, sure, there may be place where being gay is illegal, but that doesn't even legally justify killing them, does it? And what about the places where being gay isn't illegal?

Third, even if it is supposed to be "murder", isn't it still a contradiction? What I'm trying to say is that, sure, there may be place where being gay is illegal, but that doesn't even legally justify killing them, does it? And what about the places where being gay isn't illegal?

No. It is not a contradiction. If the Bible said "Do not kill anyone" "okay kill anyone" that would be a contradiction. It doesn't say that. It says "Don't murder anyone." and then says "Execute these people for these reasons".

murder of innocent people =/= state execution of criminals

Argue the rights or wrongs of it if you want, but it is not a contradiction.

SwiftSoul

Kinkmeister General
Well, honestly, as religious texts go, I hear the Satanic Bible is actually quite good. Doing some in-depth research, it seems to be quite an intelligent piece of work, and I definitely want to get a copy of that book for Yule. But I still don't that it should be considered a credible source to cite from in debate, unless it is in a debate directly related to the major themes and components.

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
No. It is not a contradiction. If the Bible said "Do not kill anyone" "okay kill anyone" that would be a contradiction. It doesn't say that. It says "Don't murder anyone." and then says "Execute these people for these reasons".

murder of innocent people =/= state execution of criminals

Argue the rights or wrongs of it if you want, but it is not a contradiction.

Ok two things. When I checked the site, I typed in the passage for the commandment not to murder/kill, the site said, at least for the first result, it is indeed kill.

Second, I can't copy and paste the definition of murder with this iPad, but you do know what murder means, correct? When did God become a lawmaker?

And on the same note I've never said the Bible should be used as a credible source in any debate that it does not have anything pertinent to say. I don't bring my Bible to a debate about Chinese History.

@Roronoa Zoro:
The first results will be in the 1611 King James Version. There is a box near the top of the results to change to any of dozens of more modern, more relatable translations.

Lol, the God of the Bible is THE lawmaker. When you create your own universe you can make your own rules. Till then he makes the rules.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Cracks begin to show
And on the same not I've never said the Bible should be used as a credible source in any debate that it does not have anything pertinent to say. I don't bring my Bible to a debate about Chinese History.

@Roronoa Zoro:
The first results will be in the 1611 King James Version. There is a box near the top of the results to change to any of dozens of more modern, more relatable translations.

Lol, the God of the Bible is THE lawmaker. When you create your own universe you can make your own rules. Till then he makes the rules.

That's actually a whole different discussion entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.