• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!! Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debate?

Does the Bible have a legitimate place in modern debates when it has something to say

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
actually some things I dont care if they offend, but that is more when people are offended I wont take Christ out of my life, but I dont want to offend in other ways, like by shouting YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS FOR DISAGREEING WITH ME.....that would be crossing a line(hope that makes sense)

Yes, it does make sense, that's admirable. Understand though, as long as you offer your beliefs as debate, they're going to get played with, deconstructed and twisted in ways you don't really intend. Don't take it personally.

You can disagree, great, but it is nobody's place to try and change another person's beliefs. Can we please move on?

That would be ideal. But as long as Dunning is making his own case for Christianity, it would be hard to justify asking anyone else to stop making a case for athiesm as well. Both sides seem to be interested in debating without a conclusion or any prospect of convincing one another of anything.

Last edited:

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I have an idea. Everyone should keep on quoting chuboy's questions until mattj finally stops ignoring them.

mattj:

The Bible claims many things.

1. What evidence exists to suggest it is right about all of them?

2. If there are parts of the Bible which are wrong, how can we decide rationally which parts of the Bible are still correct?

I expect you to answer both questions separately before you can claim to have won this debate.

ChedWick

I have an idea. Everyone should keep on quoting chuboy's questions until mattj finally stops ignoring them.

You have terrible ideas.

The purpose of this thread is not to question Dunning's beliefs, or to get Dunning to change his beliefs. He's said already that he's not trying to offend anyone. I think we should all go back to arguing pointlessly with mattj instead of questioning the morality of someone who isn't meaning any harm.

I'm aware that this looks like mini-modding. I don't care, really--I'm not comfortable watching you all tear into Dunning's way of life. You can disagree, great, but it is nobody's place to try and change another person's beliefs. Can we please move on?

To be fair this is a debate. A debate regarding the authority of the bible. I think it is tasteless to try and change someones beliefs but at the same time dunning is spouting off his beliefs as though they are fact and quite frankly its a bit annoying when you consider most, if not all of his posts are geared this way. Either way both side's squabbles appear to be irrelevant to the topic at hand.

@Dunning, your opinions are duly noted, but be aware this is a debate and in a debate, many of us like to see evidence to support your claims. Just because you believe in the bible and its teachings, does not mean it is a relevant source outside of theological debates.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
You have terrible ideas.

It's not a terrible idea. It is the perfect plan to counter mattj's arrogance. He has been purposely avoiding the questions for over a month, because he knows that he cannot answer them. Yet he still thinks the Bible should be allowed in the modern debate. If we force him to confront the questions, he has no choice but the forfeit this debate.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
You my friend have a way with words. Shakespeare would be envious. Thank you.

Thank you!

I would have thought would be the first one to notice he was banned. And your idea is too similar to flaming.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I would have thought would be the first one to notice he was banned. And your idea is too similar to flaming.

How is it anything like flaming? I'm not insulting him. I'm just trying to get him to answer some important question pertaining to the debate.

Oh look he was banned. How did that happen? After taking one month off to let some infractions expire, it only took him two days to gain enough infractions to get banned again. Since he didn't post outside this debate, that means all of the infractions came from his posts here. It seems that mattj has more of a problem staying unbanned than Alleviate. Oh well. I guess I can just bump this thread again when he's no longer banned.

Last edited:

Dunning

God's Soldier
I know you all dont agree and I am fine with debating, I just do not want to offend you, if I act like it is fact it is because I believe it truly is,

I just cant stand by while you say Christians believe something that they dont, to me that is offensive and would be like me saying an atheist scientist(I know not all scientists are atheist, I am just using an example) believes something that they do not and then using that to prove all of you who disagree with me wrong, it is not a real debate. I just want to let everyone know what a Christian believes in so at least then it isnt lies or in most cases a misunderstanding.

And I am fine if you guys want to put up your case for Atheism or any other belief for that matter. Just know I will put my two cents in too,

Grei

not the color
That would be ideal. But as long as Dunning is making his own case for Christianity, it would be hard to justify asking anyone else to stop making a case for athiesm as well. Both sides seem to be interested in debating without a conclusion or any prospect of convincing one another of anything.

I'm merely asking for people to either be civil or stop tearing into one another altogether. It isn't necessary.

Dunning

God's Soldier
What exactly are the "lies" that are being spread about Christians?

Some people believe being Christian means living a good life and that we are the 'good people' and that we believe we are higher than everyone else. While being Christian means you are saved, not better than anyone else, more of a misunderstanding than a lie

I'm merely asking for people to either be civil or stop tearing into one another altogether. It isn't necessary.

I agree, no one needs to tear apart anyone and that this should be kept civil. Hope people will listen to you

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Some people believe being Christian means living a good life and that we are the 'good people' and that we believe we are higher than everyone else. While being Christian means you are saved, not better than anyone else, more of a misunderstanding than a lie

You're not saved. You only think you are. You cannot reach salvation without the Triforce.

Dunning

God's Soldier
You're not saved. You only think you are. You cannot reach salvation without the Triforce.

what is the Triforce?? I have never heard of that, if I had to guess it would be the Trinity, but I am not sure that is right.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
what is the Triforce?? I have never heard of that, if I had to guess it would be the Trinity, but I am not sure that is right.

L M F A O

Also, by your earlier logic about Satan being the cause for everyone who doesn't believe in Christianity... that basically amounts to a large portion of the idea of free will being stripped away and excused with the presence of a horrible evil demon who does things just to **** with everyone.

Frankly, I don't want to jump on the holy bandwagon of a God who forces people to jump through nigh-ridiculous and unreasonable hoops just to gain his favor, in spite of being omnibenevolent. And if that means, as a skeptic, that I am going to hell? Well, even with all that talk about eternal suffering, I'm sure Satan wouldn't object to another willing demon on his roster.

(In all seriousness, though, I'm more inclined to believe that Hell was/is a scare tactic introduced by the churches to strong-arm people into believing and worshiping.)

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious

Perhaps you should research what the Triforce is before you ask questions. The trinity wishes it was the Triforce. Go find me some scholarly articles about the Triforce. I won't accept anything that can be found through Google.

Dunning

God's Soldier
Perhaps you should research what the Triforce is before you ask questions. The trinity wishes it was the Triforce. Go find me some scholarly articles about the Triforce. I won't accept anything that can be found through Google.

Hahahaha, I shouldve looked that up first. As for that site http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2000/legendofzeldaocarina.html
and yes I am pretty sure you were being sarcastic, and no, I actually did not find that through Google

L M F A O

Also, by your earlier logic about Satan being the cause for everyone who doesn't believe in Christianity... that basically amounts to a large portion of the idea of free will being stripped away and excused with the presence of a horrible evil demon who does things just to **** with everyone.

Frankly, I don't want to jump on the holy bandwagon of a God who forces people to jump through nigh-ridiculous and unreasonable hoops just to gain his favor, in spite of being omnibenevolent. And if that means, as a skeptic, that I am going to hell? Well, even with all that talk about eternal suffering, I'm sure Satan wouldn't object to another willing demon on his roster.

(In all seriousness, though, I'm more inclined to believe that Hell was/is a scare tactic introduced by the churches to strong-arm people into believing and worshiping.)

I can see why you are laughing lol

Tell me if you wanna hear what I believe, cause that doesnt sound like the God I know, sounds like the one I used to believe in

ChedWick

I just cant stand by while you say Christians believe something that they dont, to me that is offensive and would be like me saying an atheist scientist(I know not all scientists are atheist, I am just using an example) believes something that they do not and then using that to prove all of you who disagree with me wrong, it is not a real debate. I just want to let everyone know what a Christian believes in so at least then it isnt lies or in most cases a misunderstanding.

Christian beliefs are not universally collective though. So the best you can do is argue the meanings of the bible(with evidence) and your own beliefs, but thats not really the point of this thread at all.

Hahahaha, I shouldve looked that up first. As for that site http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2000/legendofzeldaocarina.html
and yes I am pretty sure you were being sarcastic, and no, I actually did not find that through Google
n

Bing is the devil.

Last edited:

Dunning

God's Soldier
Christian beliefs are not universally collective though. So the best you can do is argue the meanings of the bible(with evidence) and your own beliefs, but thats not really the point of this thread at all.

Bing is the devil.

I guess not everyone who calls themselves a Christian believes what I do or what my church teaches(I only say calls because I knew an atheist who told everyone he was christian)
Yeah, I realized this has gotten far from the main topic, a long time ago

Haha, no Bing either

Status
Not open for further replies.