• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Behind Crystal Eyes [Rating - T]

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Hey, if you saw my thread in The Authors Cafe section, you would have seen my story idea about the girl who leaves to go on her quest before the age of 10, which means she missed a whole year of Trainer School. Also, she gets into Pokemon Racing (new trainer quest/goal thing I sorta made up a system for) and also, what she'll face and will she make the right choices, ya know?

Okay, okay... Proper summary: After a horrible event at Trainer School, a nine year old named Crystal runs away from her hometown before she is meant to leave Trainer School. After trying to beat a gym leader and a contest, which doesn't go too well, she gets into Pokemon Racing. There aren't many good influences in the Pokemon Racing Industry. Will Crystal get badly influenced? Will she make a wrong choice? Adventure/Drama are the main genres.

Btw, I just remembered that if there's brackets around a word like (insert word) followed by a 'said the character' it's a Pokemon talking. EG. (Hiya Crystal!) greeted the Sentret.

Rated T, because of violence and language, okay dokay? Oh yeah, and in this fic the most trainers aren't that particularly nice and Pokemon are generally disregarded by most trainers in this.

Anywho, this is the story. Hope you like it! Btw, my spelling and grammar may be different to your usual because I'm from New Zealand (just remembered to mention, ha). Anyway, this is the first chapter!

------------------------------------------------

Chapter One - Sensen

Crystal’s POV

I slowly opened my eyes, yawning with fatigue. Lazily, I checked my surroundings to make sure that this tiny bedroom was still as it is. Yup, various Pokemon on the floor sleeping all over the place.

My bedroom is often filled with mini beds for Pokemon that my parents rescue from trainer cruelty. None of these Pokemon was very active so luckily; my bedroom was still intact. Every Pokemon around me had suffered some cruel treatment before their rescue.

Sensen, the Pokemon that seemed the closest to me went with the daily routine of jumping on her back legs onto my bed. Sensen is a Sentret, and my best friend. I had no other friends, and she sorta became the pal that I took to Trainer School.

Not a single trainer in this neighbourhood referred to their Pokemon as: pal or friend, and certainly never as a best friend. Almost all the Pokemon here in Verdanturf Town were regarded as either servants, or nothing at all. My family are the outcasts. I was never taught to think bad of Pokemon.

(Morning Crys!) greeted Sensen, seeming more optimistic than usual. Sensen lost an arm before my dad rescued her. I don’t know how, but Sensen doesn’t like to talk about it much. I guess after losing an arm, things could only get better.

I never was optimistic at all. Every day was the same until I finally turn 10, giving me the option of setting out on my quest.

Of course, I didn’t have a clue on what I wanted to do. Beating gym leaders to get badges for the Hoenn League? Perform appeals and battle my way to getting five ribbons for the Grand Festival? Or perhaps race my way to a score big enough for the Hoenn Cup Tournament?

Apparently, in this last year of Trainer School, the nine year olds get split up in different trainer categories so they can learn about what they want to do when they set out on their quest.

I applied for contests, not because it’s what I’m most interested in. It’s because the sort who bully me at school never apply for the contests section, so I figured it would be a safe option.

I don’t know much about contests yet, mostly because I’ve only had three days of being a nine year old in Trainer School. It wasn’t that great so far, because the only okay person I knew had moved to Johto before school started again for the year. His name was Richard, son of a Pokemon Scientist.

It wasn’t that he behaved in a different way towards Pokemon like I did, but he was the only one who respected my views unlike others who either mocked me, or didn’t talk to me.

Sensen glared at me, expecting me to at least reply to her greeting. I almost blocked her out of my thoughts, but I heard a sudden remark made by Sensen in irritation. I didn’t hear the exact words, though I quickly responded, “Oh! Hey Sensen! For a moment, I thought you were quite cheerful, well more so than usual.”

She didn’t show signs of accepting my response, but informed that she stayed up half the night to perfect an attack I’d been working with her for more than a month. The attack was Rollout. That’s good because the head bully did have a Pokemon that is weak against rock moves like Rollout.

The head bully is named Jackson. He often waits for me to start walking to school so he can beat me or a Pokemon up, just to wind me up.

Even though I know he does it deliberately when I’m around, but I still make a useless attempt to stop it, again and again.

“That’s great, Sensen! Maybe it would make a good appeal for contests? Of course I can’t do them until I leave Trainer School, but that move could be a cool routine for contests!” I replied, grinning. It wasn’t often that I grinned, but this move could really be useful.

“D’ya want breakfast?” yelled my mum suddenly, making me jump in surprise like I had a random electric shock.

I quickly scanned the room of Pokemon, and Munchies the Munchlax woke up, eyes lighting up with glee. (Breakfast!) he mumbled cheerfully. Food is always on his mind, but aren’t Munchlax like that?

I named all the Pokemon in my room. Well, when I was seven. As a seven year old, I thought that Sensen and Munchies were examples of truly great names. Nowadays, I would have a little more creativity due to me getting a lot smarter. It was because when I turned eight, my parents decided to fill me up with knowledge. Guess it pays off.

“I don’t want anything!” I shouted back, despite my stomach feeling empty like a ghost town. Eating a lot then going to school and being beaten up isn’t a great combo.

Munchies seemed keen to have my breakfast for me, so slowly went to the door. I’d say quickly but Munchies’ legs were injured so he can only just walk. He wouldn’t be walking if my mum hadn’t done anything about his injured legs. I don’t know much about how all these Pokemon were injured because it wasn’t a high priority on my mind.

I scooped Sensen into my arms and eased myself onto my feet. I carefully looked for gaps between the Pokemon, and stepped into the tiny spaces, making my way to the opposite end of the room.

(Ow!) yelped Ratah, the youngest of the baby Ratatta. I looked to my feet and noticed I stepped on his tail, and Ratah showed no sign of approval.

“Sorry Ratah,” I whispered, even though I’d been shouting and these Pokemon took no notice. I guess because most of them are lazy, they don’t really care what I do until I physically hurt them – by accident of course! “It won’t happen again, I promise!”

Ratah simply glared with his beady little eyes, then had a go at swatting my foot away.

“Ah! Thanks for reminding me! You’re more awake than I am,” I laughed sheepishly. These Pokemon sometimes seem to have more sense than I do. I lifted my foot away and stepped onto the next gap, being carefully not to step on any tails, feet, etc again.

Ratah mumbled something, which I think meant (Hmm… we wonder why I’m more awake?). Then he settled back to sleep beside his sisters Lilly – I must have thought something like little only I went with Lilly – and Tiny – she wasn’t the youngest, but was the smallest. Ratah eats a lot, but not as much as Munchies for sure.

I went to the wardrobe and pulled on a plain mini dress with a belt and jeans with some tatty old sneakers. I never dressed like I thought I was a supermodel, because people wouldn’t really care anyhow. I got my hair into pigtails but leaving some hair down. Style is definitely not my thing. I just went with whatever and nobody questioned my choices.

Stepping out of my room, Sensen started pointing out the window. I spotted Jackson waiting impatiently. My parents didn’t suspect what his real intentions were when he waits there but I knew, and I wouldn’t tell my parents either.

“I know, Sensen. Daily routine,” I mumbled. I glared daggers at Jackson, hoping he’d gotten bored of this and chose to wait for someone else to bother. He eyed me, showing clear indication of not being bored of this routine.

I slung my bag on the shoulder and placed Sensen on the ground beside me. Quickly, I snatched an apple before my mum noticed and rushed out the door with my Sentret.

Jackson grinned his stupid grin.He always did this thing before he beats me up. “Hey stupid.”

I tried walking past him with Sensen, but he just picked Sensen up and started poking Sensen where her arm was missing. “Your lame little weakling is dumb. Having one arm is retarded.”

I pulled Sensen from Jackson’s clutches. I tried to give him a threat. “Say that again and you’ll be the one-armed retard!” I quickly shot a glance at Sensen, hoping she would understand that I don’t think she’s a retard.

He just chuckled to himself. “Is that a challenge? How about a morning battle at school then, seeing as you’re attempting to be the one with the upperhand here.”

I knew I just couldn’t back out of this, so I nodded. “You’re on, loser.”

Jackson flipped his hair arrogantly. “Ya better turn up, or your weakling might have no arms,” he told me, threateningly. He casually walked away, acting like the ruler of the neighbourhood. Well, he kinda is though… Nobody really tries messing with him.

Thank god he went for the racing and not the contests. He thinks they’re for wusses, but if it means beings away from him, contests are good.

I arrived at school, and I noticed Jackson already rounded up a crowd of kids our age. I shoved my way through the crowd to where Jackson was, which was in the middle. I eyed every person at the front and they reminded me of ancient times, when blood-thirsty people gathered round to watch Pokemon tear at each other until death.

I remembered that they still do that today, only not as often as they used to. Jackson looked determined to win this battle between his Pokemon and mine.

Jackson announced to the crowd that I, who was referred to as the Outcast Pokemon Chick, has arrived for the battle so cheer on him and not me, or else. He didn’t mention my name, because to him and everyone else, I didn’t have one. I was surprised he didn’t come up with a worse nickname but he seemed like his focus was more on this battle.

He reached to his belt and grabbed at a Poke Ball. “OPC!” he yelled sharply at me. “We’re going to by MY rules, which there isn’t any. That means I can use all my Pokemon in this battle and you use whatever weaklings you’ve got!”

I cursed myself for not bringing every Pokemon at my house. I knew Jackson had more Pokemon than me right now. I only had Sensen, and I knew she was tired from staying up to perfect Rollout. Maybe Rollout will help me win this. But Jackson was the toughest trainer here.

“Okay!” I replied, weakly. Other trainers that surrounded us eyed me cruelly, without a care that I’m about to fall victim to Jackson’s violent battle style. I knew that they were on Jackson’s side.

Jackson chucked a Poke Ball to the ground, and a flash of light went into a particular shape. Light from the Poke Ball escaped to reveal a normally friendly bird Pokemon. A Taillow, common in Hoenn. Jackson’s one didn’t look friendly at all, instead this Taillow looked nasty : a mini bird clone of Jackson.

Jackson may be the best trainer out of our age group, but that didn’t mean all of his Pokemon were the best. His Taillow was probably his weakest link, but Jackson seemed to think it would get the job done.

“Wing Attack!” he barked out a command to his Taillow.

It followed suit to the command and spread its wings wide, diving towards Sensen.

Sensen seemed to have a mind of her own and curled up like a ball rolling towards the Taillow, at top speed. The two contacted each other but dirt was whipped up like a sandstorm so I watched for who got beaten back.

“Taaaaiiilllllloooooww!!!!” the Taillow shot back, skidding along the ground. It seemed to get grazed from this, but Taillow tend to be quite fierce fighters.

Onlookers were afraid to load abuse on Jackson for his ‘wimpy Pokemon’, knowing what Jackson could do to them. So they insulted Sensen, even though she’s winning.

I found myself shrinking despite the pleasure I felt of winning. Even if I felt happy, at this school, I get mocked for it. They seemed to hate me winning, not Jackson losing.

Jackson hated to see his Pokemon losing. He ran over to his Taillow and kicked it hard, then delivering some hard punches, swears at it, then returns his Pokemon. That’s what that ******* does if he decides that his Pokemon lost.

I didn’t have the option of helping that Taillow. My reputation would only get degraded, and I hated to see my family be an insult to the city. “You shouldn’t do that, Jackson,” I mumbled, scared of more criticism being landed upon me.

Jackson’s face was red from fury. “Right,” he tried to calm himself. He hated it if any of his Pokemon lost. “Electrike will have to get the ****ing job done then!” He slammed the Poke Ball at the ground, sending out a fairly small green and yellow dog.

“Electrike!” barked the young but vicious looking dog.

“Thunder Wave!” bellowed Jackson furiously, now even more determined not to lose.

Jolts of electric blue zapped at Sensen before she could dodge. She couldn’t move due to this, a real problem for Sensen and I.

“Spark!” commanded Jackson. I knew that this was his Electrike’s best move. Jackson’s Electrike is the toughest Pokemon, so it using its toughest move is going to be Sensen’s hell.

Electrike charged at Sensen, barking while doing so. Fierce sparks bounced off its body and struck Sensen. I felt her pain somehow. She couldn’t move at all, and there wasn’t anything I could do. Electrike is going to win.

“And again!”

I gasped. That’s going to give Jackson a certain win!

Electrike slammed into Sensen again, zapping her cruelly. The effects of Thunder Wave ran out unexplainably, but Sensen just couldn’t move.

(That Electrike’s won), Sensen weakly mumbled to me, (I don’t think I could handle it anymore).

“Look! You win Jackson!” I called out to him. “Sensen’s had enough!”

Jackson’s face cooled down to a smirk. I could see that pitiless glint in his eye, not quite finished. “Again,” he simply told his Electrike.

“Wait! No! Sensen’s had enough! Stop!” I pleaded for Sensen’s sake.

Electrike struck Sensen again, and I could see her eyes starting to brim with tears of agony. I couldn’t take it.

“Stop it Jackson! Return your Electrike! You’ve won, okay?” I yelled, trying not to burst into tears myself.

“Again,” he smirked, treating this like a game.

Electrike slammed into Sensen once more with a burst of playful but cruel electricity. Only this time, Sensen flopped to the ground and stopped moving.

I rushed to Sensen’s side. I hated to do this to Pokemon but I kicked Electrike away. It growled at me but Jackson decided to return him, followed by a burst of laughter. “What’s wrong with your Sentret, Crystal?” He glanced at the crowd, who hastily joined in the laughter.

I leant against Sensen’s chest for heartbeat. “Come on Sensen!” I dug my head into my hands to muffle out my cry of shock. Sensen had been electrocuted too much for her to take. She… she…

“Looks like your little wimp is dead!” mocked Jackson. “Ah well, no one will miss it. Bet even you would get over such a weakling. That Sentret was retarded anyway.” He laughed cruelly.

My eyes shot up at him, hating him. “You… I told you to stop! I hate you Jackson!”

Jackson just made another one of his taunts. “Oh look! The poor ***** hates me!” The whole crowd was roaring with horrible laughter. How could they laugh at my best friend dying?

I forgot my expectations of no one caring. Jackson flung rocks at Sensen, with trainer by trainer joining in. I leapt out and protected Sensen’s poor, lifeless body. I took all the sharp rocks but nothing took my mind off my wounded heart.

“Sensen… Sensen…” no one heard my muffled sobs, no one in the crowd cared about anything except making sure Jackson wouldn’t turn on them.

I deeply despised their selfishness, no one showed sign of sympathy.

A bell rang shrilly, so trainers left after a good laugh about poor, weak Crystal and her electrocuted rat.

I felt fury and hatred building up inside. One more rock bounced off my back then silence.

Looking up, there was no one else in sight. I didn’t want to go to class. I didn’t want to go anywhere.

Someday, I’ll prove to them that I am better than them. I’m going to avenge Sensen. I’ll become the better trainer.

But only when I graduate from Trainer School. No, I can do better. I’m dropping out of school early. I bet I can become a great trainer before all those *******s leave school. When I become a better trainer, I want to challenge them. For Sensen.

I am sitting on a chair now with my bestest friend flopped on my lap. Tears were streaming down my face with my fury trembling inside me. “Sensen… I’m going to get them back… I’m going to make them for feel sorry for themselves… I’ll prove to them that they were wrong to mess with me, with you… Sensen!”

I tried to choke back the tears, but just ended up getting into a coughing fit.

Through blurred tears, I could see a tall figure walking towards me. It was like looking through glasses with a lense not suited for you. Impossible to make out any clue of who was there.

“I suppose you are the one with the family of silly old Pokemon rescuers?” I knew that voice was Mrs Watson, one of the teachers. The one who usually checks round for any kids trying to miss classes.

I could barely talk so I just nodded, whilst trying to wipe away the tears.

“Why aren’t you in class? Have you got something going on? Have you let your teacher know?”

I shook my head and managed to breathe out some words. “Sensen… she… electrocuted… Sensen…”

“Did your Sentret get electrocuted to death? I see,” replied Mrs Watson, a fairly bored tone. I hated her for that. She didn’t sound like she cared about Sensen any more than any other ******* in the crowd did. “Well, I guess that’s too bad for you. I suppose you have a dozen more Pokemon back at home to choose from to replace your Sentret, yes?”

I glared furiously. “No one back at home could replace Sensen!” I yelled at her angrily. I stroked Sensen’s dry fur absentmindedly.

Mrs Watson curled her lip and sighed. “I guess you could borrow a Pokemon from here. I suppose you’ll want another Sentret to make up for yours being zapped to death?”

How could she be so… so… Why can’t something zap her to death? No one would care except maybe Mr Watson. Or maybe he would be relieved to be free of her.

“No one could replace Sensen! She was my bestest friend and the only one who understood me! Her dead body had already had been disrespected so I don’t want to disrespect her honour by getting another Sentret! The new Pokemon wouldn’t understand me at all!” I shouted out, crystal tears sliding down my face.

Mrs Watson sighed again. “Then, what are you going to do about a Pokemon?”

I didn’t care about that right now. I only cared about Sensen.

“I don’t know and I don’t care right now! Oh, and I don’t want to hear another suggestion from you, you old hag!” I threw a rock towards her face but only hit her on the shoulder, and started running away with Sensen in my arms before she could react.

Mrs Watson was a useless runner, so she made worthless attempts of trying to get me to come back. I refused to listen, her voice was like screeching Mankeys.

Once I was clearly out of sight from the school, which was a long way as Trainer School is the biggest part of Verdanturf Town, I stopped to take a few quick breaths and take a rest.

I saw a hole in the ground and examined it and felt through it to make sure it was empty. After checking and checking, I decided it was truly empty. I placed Sensen’s body in the hole and quickly covered it up. Sensen’s burial place.

I bent over the covered up hole and whispered, “Sensen, I’ll miss you always. I’m going to have to get a new Pokemon but it will never replace you as my best friend. You were never my servant like all the other Pokemon. I loved you like you were my equal, or better than me. Actually, you’re probably a ton better than me… Anyway, I’m going to be a better trainer than all of the trainers at the school. And certainly better than Jackson.”

I wondered if Sensen could hear this, but I slightly doubted it.

Vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm… Looking to my right, I could see a truck starting up with a truck driver muttering, “So I have to take this to Littleroot…”

Littleroot Town, eh? That’s where Professor Birch lives. I think I’ll go see him to get a good Pokemon. He usually keeps his best ones at the lab reserved for certain people. I might see if I can get one.

A person loaded a box into the back of the truck when his cellphone rang. He walked off to take the call, leaving the door open. I quickly snuck in through the back door that was swinging right open.

“… Is that all you called me for? I know that I have to take the crappy Pokemon to Littleroot!” the man hung up and stuffed his cellphone in his pocket. I may have heard the word Pokemon but none of these packages around me could possibly have moving Pokemon.

He slammed the back door and hopped into the truck. I could feel mad vibrations throughout the truck and I could sense it driving off out of Verdanturf, out of my harsh hometown.

I don't know how long this is going to take.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, that's my first chapter! I'd love to hear what you think! Btw, I'm on fanfiction.net with the username Mel-Girl (aka same as here).

So what do you think of this story? I'd love to know so I can improve!

Cheers!

DarkPersian479

Couple of grammar corrections in bold.
None of these Pokemon were very active so luckily, my bedroom was still

seemed keen to have my breakfast for me, so he slowly went to the door

I knew I just couldn’t back out of this, so I nodded. “You’re on, loser.”
A recent incident on the boards here has brought to my attention that I should be pointing out stuff like this: If Crystal knows for a fact that her Sentret cannot win this battle, wouldn't it make sense for her to realize this, turn down the fight, and risk humiliation rather than risk the Pokemon getting hurt, if she really does care for its safety?

Jeez, this town is full of nasty people... guess we now know where Team Rocket and Cipher need to do their recruiting...

I do find it hard to believe that EVERY trainer in school (and the entire town in general) has this callous attitude toward Pokemon. Maybe if some of the citizens didn't share this belief, Crystal and her family wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb- which is one indication of a Mary-Sue character, the fact that her family are the ONLY ones in town who are actually nice and caring.

Also, don't forget to describe Pokemon, humans, and setting. Readers do need a general idea of what these look like so they can create a visual picture. To me, it seemed like Crystal's emotions were a little...flat. And wouldn't her parents or the other Pokemon care if she got up and left?

I know all this sounds a bit harsh, but you do have the basis for an interesting story here. A rogue trainer without the most basic of experience, who's not even qualified for a Pokemon.

If you can add in description and work out some of the kinks I mentioned, you very well could have something very interesting. This is one I'll keep my eye on.