• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Being Yourself and Changing to be with Others

AlanL

Infinite Curiosity
This I agree with, in fact I've been in quite a few similar situations myself. When it comes to people who truly obsess over something, be it pokemon or anything else, it goes beyond social considerations. Being overly obsessed or addicted to something is generally unhealthy in and of itself, a problem that should be looked into by the person in question.

In these cases, it's not so much whether people like you for who you are or not, it's tending to your own health and well-being to try to change.

Last edited:
Listen up y'all. This is how you change to be with others in order to be more sensitive.

If a person says they "don't care" or they act like they don't care, and then make fun of you. It means they do care, but don't want to admit it. They're sensitive, too. They care about a lot of things, and they keep it bottled up, because they don't want people being insensitive towards them. The only way to cheer themselves up is by making fun of the person who made them feel bad. For those who act like you care, you most likely don't. You feel like you have to care just because the other person told you didn't have to care. You just want the other person to care so you can feel like you don't have to. If you're mad at someone for not acting like they care, just let it go. You're just going to make them feel bad by constantly insulting them until you get a reaction. If someone makes fun of you, don't let it bother you. That's their way of getting ****** off at you, and you should just leave them alone. Just take the other person's advice. When someone tells you "who cares," act like you don't care. If someone calls you "insensitive," say you do care, and then they'll be nicer to you. It really works. You have to use reverse psychology.

That's a lie losers who haven't switched to cutting themselves make up to make themselves feel better.

Dattebayo

Banned
your on a pokemon forum...debating about ****....everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid or unreasonable it may be.

Which is bad because it shows how ignorant they are, and I'm doomed to be one of them. It can't be a good opinion without back-up proof otherwise it's bad.

it just so happens your opinion is WRONG, UNREASONABLE, UNETHICAL, and does not in the least coincide with my feelings OR morals

Which is why I want to change my opinions so they'll sound logical and guys like you will accept me.

anyways when your having a friendly debate (or on pokemon forums, flame wars) just listen to other peoples opions, reflect on them, and then pretend like they never existed. its always good to listen to other opinions, AND NECISARY TO LEARN THE FACTS.

Oh yes, because it's necessary to learn some inaccurate facts that make no sense, and slowly believe what they and become one of them.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Hitmonlee
A black man once told me, "Haters gonna hate." These words have more wisdom in them then you would think. This saying tells us that people that contradict and find you unappealing are just "Haters" Haters aren't Srsbiz.

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes
Which is why I want to change my opinions so they'll sound logical and guys like you will accept me.

You shouldn't change your opinion so it "sounds" logical and other people like it. You should have opinions that are your opinions, and be able to back them up with your own logic and/or facts.

Being a parrot isn't gonna get you any respect.

Dattebayo

Banned
You shouldn't change your opinion so it "sounds" logical and other people like it. You should have opinions that are your opinions, and be able to back them up with your own logic and/or facts.

Being a parrot isn't gonna get you any respect.

Judging Pokemon based on SSB and taking timelines on Mario games seriously says hi. They hate me for those opinions because they're illogical, so I need to eliminate them to gain some respect from them.

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes
Judging Pokemon based on SSB and taking timelines on Mario games seriously says hi. They hate me for those opinions because they're illogical, so I need to eliminate them to gain some respect from them.

I think you're still missing the point though. If you're truly going to get rid of those opinions, you need to understand why they're illogical and don't hold water in the first place. Don't just say they're illogical because others are. Listen to their points, and evaluate yours and theirs.

And you don't need respect from people who are getting their panties in a bunch because you judged Pokemon based on brawl.

Also, in reference to your "*noun* says hi" comment. Remember my previous post about not being a parrot? If anything, take that away from my advice.

Sometimes being yourself means taking disrespect along with respect, nonacceptance along with acceptance. Either way, respect is usually earned. But do you really want to be respected for who you're not and for opinions that aren't really yours?

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
Derp.

Even if you change you can still be yourself. You'll just be a new 'you'. And you might even like yourself more. Last year, I was a total forum noob and did nothing but flaming others whose statements I didn't like. People didn't like that - obviously - so I changed. And I like how I am now. I'd never ever want to go back to the state I was in last year.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Be yourself, period. If others don't agree or hate you for what you say it shouldn't really matter, you still get respect from some one somewhere I'm sure. Plus it's the internet a lot of people online (mostly on Youtube) are fakers, uptight, stubborn, etc and only because online they can hide and not get slapped in the face, why would you ever want to gain respect from those people or even make friends with them.

As far as "going with the flow" screw that, if something doesn't seem right to you, you go ahead and say your opinion if some one doesn't like it too bad, opinions can never be proven wrong unless you claim your opinion to be a fact (which you should never do). And you shouldn't let others change your opinion just because they act all "bad" and harsh on you. If you're wrong about something take it like a man/woman and that gains you respect, if you keep fighting it it makes you look like a child.
Also if you bash on some one else's opinions or fact than what do you expect them to do, the same thing so don't do it.

And why be some one else, it's better to be yourself and be a stronger self than some one else, in the Real World if you lie you'll be caught and then what, online if you get caught so what just make a new account and pretend to be some one else.

Benzu 13

Getting Better?
You remember that old saying: "If you ever want to make friends or have respect, you should always be yourself". Apparently, it seems that the old saying doesn't usually work in the internet. Whenever a person tries to be himself, as in explaining his own thoughts about anything, there's a chance that some users will call him/her an idiot for having those thoughts because they are either wrong or just hate any opinion but their own. This force the said person to change his opinions in order to fit in with the crowd. I used to be one when I first joined Serebii Forums, I was trying to be myself by explaining my own thoughts about any subject and end up being called an idiot or a troll because my opinions were wrong. The smart Serebii users try to explain to me how I'm wrong, but I simply ignored them all for the sake of me thinking I'm always right. They soon hate me as well. So right now, I'm trying to change so I can be accepted by those who hate me here. But then I think about the old saying. If I ever change, then I would be breaking that old saying. So tell me, is changing yourself really necessary so you be respected by others or is that against making friends/getting respect by being yourself? My apology if this is in the wrong section; you can move it to another section that's best suited.

Are you serious? Well, I guess you are. I'll have to say staying yourself is the wisest option, unless at heart you're a jerk.

On the internet, who gives a darn about other people they don't know about? People on the internet might as well be CPU's, because you don't know us, you can't talk to us directly, and we can't kick your butt in person because "you have different beliefs". The thing is this: you can have your own voice in the internet, but you need to be able to back it up with a form of logic other than just being an opinion. I'm not afraid to say that I love Jesus, I think abortion is murder and anybody in the situation of needing an abortion is likely a ho, I liked Bush more than I do Obama, etc. You know what, you can't do a thing against me other than dislike me inside of your own minds, but then again, everybody might as well be a CPU, right? So there's no reason to get worried about that. Do not let anybody on the internet upset you, it's just plain stupid.

In real life, in most cases you should also try to be yourself. Because like Neji believes in the series Naruto, people can't escape who they truly are, it's a lost cause. The only cases that you should NOT be yourself are temporary cases. Cases such as: avoiding a butt whoopin', acting mature around a certain girl, family reuinions, etc. You should always be yourself in daily life because, frankly, people are stupid. In order to conform to the ways of people is to conform to utter stupidity and ignorance. An exception to this is if you want to avoid being yourself so you can make a change in your attitude for the better, not to "fit in".