• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Belief

PokemonLeagueChamp

Team Aero Leader
I determine what I believe based on what makes sense. I believe God, or else some form of deity, created a universe for us to exist in. I believe in some form of afterlife, because otherwise we would be as soulless as our machines. I believe that God is at least somewhat merciful, because humanity has yet to be annihilated by him for all its many sins. But I also believe God expects us to find our own way through life, as I have yet to see any indication that he is getting involved even where people are in need, unless you count more charitable mortals as the hand of God. That's the most logical form of belief I've been able to figure out.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
Some stuff. Obviously if someone told me, drugs are fun, obviously they're stupid, but besides obvious stuff like that, I pretty much have to have faith and determine right from wrong.

Profesco

gone gently
I believe everything! Until those everythings are proven false.

That is a strange and inconvenient way to live. If I told you there was an incorporeal invisible floating dragon hovering above your house, and that it breathed heatless fire on you, you'd have to believe me since such a thing cannot be proven false.

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin
That is a strange and inconvenient way to live. If I told you there was an incorporeal invisible floating dragon hovering above your house, and that it breathed heatless fire on you, you'd have to believe me since such a thing cannot be proven false.

Owned...
I believe what I deem believable.
I don't believe in Invisible floating dragons, but I believe in things that aren't too far fetched ;083;
haha see what I did there? Man I'm a nerd..

The real question is: If you can't see or interact with the immaterial dragon, then why worry about it? Regardless of whether it exists or not, it's harmless!

I believe that intelligence, a sense of humor, and honesty are the most valuable traits a person can have.

Profesco

gone gently
The real question is: If you can't see or interact with the immaterial dragon, then why worry about it? Regardless of whether it exists or not, it's harmless!

I agree, and I wish the whole world did as well! Unfortunately, there are some immaterial dragons people are willing to kill one another over. =I

I agree, and I wish the whole world did as well! Unfortunately, there are some immaterial dragons people are willing to kill one another over. =I

Well, I can't debate facts. There are a few material dragons that people are willing to kill each other over as well.

What do I believe?

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

[Chorus:]
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, oh

If I can see it, then I can be it

[Chorus]

Hey, cause I believe in me, oh

If I can see it, then I can be it

[Chorus]

Hey, if I just spread my wings
I can fly
I can fly
I can fly, hey
If I just spread my wings
I can fly
Fly-eye-eye

In other words, I believe in R. Kelly.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I take into consideration what I am being told to believe.
I have to be well informed in order for me to consider it,
but ultimately, I choose whether to really believe or not.
It needs to make sense to me.

The Meddler

Never Forget
Neither, I believe what makes sense. I've always been an atheist because a god in the sky causing everything that happens to happen is illogical

spareux

maldición
I think when I was about 13 I first said to someone "I don't believe in anything other than science". It's all been pretty uphill from there.

So I'll believe what I'm told if it makes sense and there is substantial evidence to support it.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Do you believe what you are told, or are you told what to believe?

Neither. I'm more like George Carlin (rest his soul...), and I believe what I have proven to be factually true or (in the absence of irrefutable fact) a believable prospect through the use of obvious and widely accepted facts.

My question is this however, and I hope people really think about it:

Do you believe what you are told, or are you told what to believe?

Neither. I learned from Bulbasaur! Not only is that critter seriously enlightened, he makes a mean pizza!

Oh, and he showed me the very best evidence for Jesus' resurrection.

Neither. I take everything said to me with a grain of salt and determine at a later time what I believe/disbelieve.
This leads to high sodium levels. (I'm kidding.)

Let me try and rephrase my original question:

Can you tell the difference between what you know and what other people have told you?

Hey I could be barking up completely the wrong tree here, but I do enjoy a bit of intellectual stimulation, so humour me. ^_^

You examine everything carefully, not just listening to one side of an argument. Look for logical holes in both sides, and avoid making the same mistakes.

Belief must be grounded in reality.

Not that you've said anything that is technically inaccurate, but your emphasis is wrong. I don't think the immaterial is the largest cause of violence and oppression throughout history. You seem to be channeling Stephen Weinberg; as his popular statement about religion goes:
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion.
But Freeman Dyson rightly pointed out the error of this statement:
Weinberg's statement is true as far as it goes, but it is not the whole truth. To make it the whole truth, we must add an additional clause: "And for bad people to do good things—that [also] takes religion." The main point of Christianity is that it is a religion for sinners. Jesus made that very clear. When the Pharisees asked his disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" he said, "I come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance." Only a small fraction of sinners repent and do good things but only a small fraction of good people are led by their religion to do bad things.

That sorta goes with what I said about not just looking at one side of the issue.

On another note, Profecso, I'vegot a question for you about this definition of the word "dogma":

"A dogma is a system of beliefs that is not subject to scientific test and refutation."

Do you believe that such a definition of "dogma" is reasonably correct?

Last edited:

Psykicko

On another note, Profecso, I'vegot a question for you about this definition of the word "dogma":

"A dogma is a system of beliefs that is not subject to scientific test and refutation."

Do you believe that such a definition of "dogma" is reasonably correct?

I don't know what the English definition of the word 'dogma' is, but ultimately this language originated from the interpretation of sound. The definition of the word 'dogma', and indeed of any word, is the connection that is made in one's head upon hearing or reading it.