• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Benazir Bhutto's Assassination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely appalled that no one created a thread like this!

Benazir Bhutto, the twice elected Prime Minister of Pakistan, was assassinated after departing a PPP rally in the Pakistani city of Rawalpindi. Evidently, she had given a speech and when she got into her car, she opened the sunroof and reached out to her sea of supporters. That was when two bullets were shot at her and a suicide bomb exploded. Benazir Bhutto didn't die immediately, and was rushed to the hospital where she was "clinically dead". Benazir Bhutto died at 6:16 PM Local Time. Her death caused a global uproar.

Benazir Bhutto was striving for democracy in Pakistan so that people could lead a much better life. Benazir Bhutto knew that many wanted her dead (Bin Laden, Al Qaeda, etc). She had an interview with CNN, and they asked her that with all the death threats she'd been receiving, it was a huge risk for her to go into the public, and this was her reply, "it's a risk worth taking". That showed an extroardinary amount of courage, bravery and devotion for her country...and due to her devotion, she was ultimately killed...

The Ministry of Pakistan stated that "Bhutto was killed when she tried to duck back into the vehicle, and the shock waves from the blast knocked her head into a lever attached to the sunroof, fracturing her skull". (I got this from CNN). I found this an absolute pile of bullocks. No one would die from hitting their head on a lever. And her fall was not nearly as strong enough to cause a fracture in the skull. Al-Qaeda commander Mustafa Abu Al Yazid claimed responsibility for the attack. The Pakistani government also stated that it had proof that Al-Qaeda was behind the demise of Benazir. However, I think it was foolish of her to keep her head out as she was horribly exposed. Sad, but true...

The reaction in Pakistan were a terrifying amount of riots which has so far resulted in at least 45 deaths. Above 250 cars were burnt, nine election offices were destroyed, 176 banks, 34 gas stations, 72 train cars, 18 rail stations and a truckload of shops. She had promised them so much, and she had a vision, she wanted to pursue her dream which was to unite Pakistan. Unfortunately, she was murdered which is why so many Pakistanis are in despair and Pakistan in turmoil. The elections, IMO, should NOT happen in January 8.

Do you think that Benazir was foolish for keeping her head out of the sunroof (which made her horribly exposed)?
What do you think of Benazir's character after the assassination?]
Do you believe what the Interior Ministry concluded that Benazir died of a fracture?
Benazir Bhutto had said that if she ever did die, she would blame Musharraf (since he hadn't been giving her adequate protection), what do you think of that?
Should the elections continue?
Killing Benazir Bhutto was great for Al Qaeda, what plans do you think they have for the future? A possible new 9/11? If so, in America or Europe?

The_Panda

恭喜發財

I don't think they should - with her assassination and politics being in such disarray there, I can hardly imagine a peaceful fair election held within the next month or so.

Killing Benazir Bhutto was great for Al Qaeda

I don't think so, seeing as this will most likely only further push the Pakistani people and government against Al Qaeda.

BigLutz

Banned
I don't think so, seeing as this will most likely only further push the Pakistani people and government against Al Qaeda.

I'm not so sure about that, you already have the Pakistani people angered at the current Pakistan Administration. It wouldn't take much for the conspiracy nuts to come out and say that the Assassination was a government job ( Much like the 9/11 Truth Movement here ). And fuel the flames of those who would rather hate the administration than listen to the truth.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I'm not so sure about that, you already have the Pakistani people angered at the current Pakistan Administration. It wouldn't take much for the conspiracy nuts to come out and say that the Assassination was a government job ( Much like the 9/11 Truth Movement here ). And fuel the flames of those who would rather hate the administration than listen to the truth.

Yes that could possibly happen (as a matter of fact it has happened). It's not so much pushing against Al Qaeda than it is against extremism in general.

Ethan

Banned
No one made this thread because this isn't much of a debatable topic. I'd say this belongs in general miscellaneous discussion.

Why don't you actually read what he said Daveshan.

Do you think that Benazir was foolish for keeping her head out of the sunroof (which made her horribly exposed)?
What do you think of Benazir's character after the assassination?]
Do you believe what the Interior Ministry concluded that Benazir died of a fracture?
Benazir Bhutto had said that if she ever did die, she would blame Musharraf (since he hadn't been giving her adequate protection), what do you think of that?

MistyLover gave clear cut lines on what to debate. On the other hand the thread on the misc was a report with no grounds for a debate. Therefore this belongs here. He revised it like Eszett asked him too so it deserves to stay here too.

I think the elections should continue because Pakistan is an example of democracy in the Muslim world and if they give up it might have a domino effect on other countries. They should fight for democracy by all means necessary. Pakistan is a diamond in the rough and their people have worked hard to keep it that way.

Profesco

gone gently
If the whole country gave up on the freedoms Bhutto represented, wouldn't her death have been in vain? If they pulled through with successful elections, it would surely be a great time for us to have observed.

We seem to be living through a lifetime of remarkable events: the turning of the millenium, the WTC destruction, the first black and woman American presidential possibilities, glow-in-the-dark cats, and other international events that I may not recall.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I think the elections should continue because Pakistan is an example of democracy

Except they've got levels of corruption unseen in even totalitarian dictatorships. As great as elections are, if they won't be fair they shouldn't be held. Ms Bhutto's assassination would cause great political turmoil; out of this turmoil I find it hard to grasp the idea of any fair election in the immediate after-period.

daveshan

My little friend
Except they've got levels of corruption unseen in even totalitarian dictatorships. As great as elections are, if they won't be fair they shouldn't be held. Ms Bhutto's assassination would cause great political turmoil; out of this turmoil I find it hard to grasp the idea of any fair election in the immediate after-period.

So since the level of corruption is so obvious, you probably have a news article from CNN or MSNBC that you could link us to in order to back up your claim, right?

If the whole country gave up on the freedoms Bhutto represented, wouldn't her death have been in vain? If they pulled through with successful elections, it would surely be a great time for us to have observed.

We seem to be living through a lifetime of remarkable events: the turning of the millenium, the WTC destruction, the first black and woman American presidential possibilities, glow-in-the-dark cats, and other international events that I may not recall.

It would truly have been remarkable if Benazir hadn't died and ruled Pakistan. I think she would have made Pakistan a much better country and a democracy. She had a bold vision for Pakistan, but unfortunately, she got killed...

We are living through a lifetime of remarkable events, as well as terrible events.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I think she would have made Pakistan a much better country and a democracy.

Benazir Bhutto, despite efforts against terrorism when she was Prime Minister, was extremely corrupt [1]. In addition, the two main parties (of her and Nawaz Sharif) are two of the most corrupt groups in the country [2]. She would probably make it better than under Pervez Musharraf, but even then from her track record I wouldn't think she would be that good a Prime Minister.

And to get an idea of the corruption in Pakistan today, Transparency International puts Pakistan's corruption at 2.2 with mean 4.23, and making Pakistan ranked 142 out of the 163 countries in the world, making it the 17th most corrupt country in the world, also making it more corrupt than many totalitarian states (even though Pakistan virtually is totalitarian anyway) such as China, Russia, Zimbabwe, and the list goes on [3]. With increased tension and violence in Pakistan and likely opposition boycotts on the grounds that "the elections are being rigged, and the caretaker government is not neutral" [4], it seems hard to think there will be completely fair elections.

Shinin

Minimalist

Obama is not the first black presidential possibility.

Eszett

one love
I'm sorry, but I really don't see much meaty discussion concerning Bhutto herself going on here. Come on; I've had salads more juicy than this!

MistyLover (or, I should say, Aziz), I understand you feel very deeply about this issue, but there really isn't that much to argue here, as this test run indicated. I hope you understand.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.