• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best and worst episodes of the series

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Any episode that has a Scyther automatically becomes a contender for GOAT episodes.
Same with Snorlax, but even Snorlax couldn't save this "pile of... rainbows" episode.It's probably the worst episode so far in Pokemon anime.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Interesting that the baseball episode is either really liked, or really hated, so I don't really see any reaction in the middle. For me personally, yeah, I too really hated the baseball episode. It contained all that I hate about SM, cranked up to 11. Full of slapstick, Ash being a super dumbass, cringe faces, and Oak's horrible puns as well. When Team Rocket are the best part of an episode, you know its bad.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Same with Snorlax, but even Snorlax couldn't save this "pile of... rainbows" episode.It's probably the worst episode so far in Pokemon anime.
Eh, I’ll still take it over that dumb Binacle lock picking episode and the creepy filler in DP about that scientist wanting to have Electric and Water Pokémon be super attached with one another. Like it was so gross how they executed that entire thing.
Interesting that the baseball episode is either really liked, or really hated, so I don't really see any reaction in the middle. For me personally, yeah, I too really hated the baseball episode. It contained all that I hate about SM, cranked up to 11. Full of slapstick, Ash being a super dumbass, cringe faces, and Oak's horrible puns as well. When Team Rocket are the best part of an episode, you know its bad.
Well I personally thought Lana taking out Kiawe the way she did was better. But to each their own. :p

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
That's a very bold claim. There are some pretty awful and extremely boring episodes in this anime. I don't think the baseball episode, even if you hated it, would even crack the top 30 worst.
The countless standard Johto-XY fillers that involve Ash helping someone that we'll never see again are alot worse than the baseball episode

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That's a very bold claim. There are some pretty awful and extremely boring episodes in this anime. I don't think the baseball episode, even if you hated it, would even crack the top 30 worst.
This also made me think of the boring Phantump and Litleo episodes. The latter especially was literally National Geographic but without all the charm lol. Like did we seriously need to have the group stalk a Litleo for ten minutes? At least in the baseball episode everyone was talking and had some charming moments like Lana and Kiawe. And of course for you, Scyther. :p

Aside from a lot of awful XY fillers, The Kangaskhan Kid was very cringey to watch imo. What kind of father puts their child out of a helicopter and drops him?

CMButch

That one takes the cake. But I've been reading reviews(from someone here and I agree with him) for some episodes in SM. And it seems there are many episodes of SM that are on same train as baseball episode( like that Pokemon center episode where Ash cross-dresses).

Pokegirl, no they're not. At least those episodes don't contain: forced slapstick and stupid funny faces comedy and at least they contain some sort of action to keep us on the edge( XY more than Johto), instead of fillers with 1-2 minute of battling and fillers and episodes like baseball( no battling at all, just slice of life BS with funny faces comedy). At least, in earlier gens 2-3 episodes are not watchable, while in Gen 7 almost like half of them( 30 episodes) are not watchable and are cringe-y.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Honestly I find the standard fillers from the past series more cringey and unwatchable than anything from SM. I find it such a chore to sit through them and it's such a pain watching Team Rocket appear in every episode to take part in some kind of "action", before predicably getting hit by an attack and blasting off for the millionth time. I'd take slapstick and funny scenes any day over those awful fillers from the past series.

CMButch

Honestly I find the standard fillers from the past series more cringey and unwatchable than anything from SM. I find it such a chore to sit through them and it's such a pain watching Team Rocket appear in every episode to take part in some kind of "action", before predicably getting hit by an attack and blasting off for the millionth time. I'd take slapstick and funny scenes any day over those awful fillers from the past series.

Take away forced slapstick, "funny" faces comedy and stupid slice of life moments(since Pokemon shouldn't be SoL at all, it's action/adventure with(comedy as side genre)anime, not SoL/comedy anime with action as side genre, then SM would be better than those fillers you have mentioned. TR doesn't appear in BW that much and yet in first half they're bad-ass and many people still hated BW( in general, not just Ash or Iris).Also, like SM in any different. Lol. TR still appears and gets defeated, if not; Team Skull appears and get defeated.Fillers are still awful. You're acting like SM fillers are better.They are not better and they'd be on same level as other fillers if we take away "comedy" that SM possess.So, problem with SM is not TR, it's comedy(mainly) and Slice of Life genre.Only funny thing in SM is actually Bewear's antics which are 20 seconds per episode out of 20 minutes.I still don't understand how grown people can like funny faces;

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/104/983/5d0.jpg

https://pm1.narvii.com/6398/934c5b03904160fda225fd4b48408da4e39a1d20_hq.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pq40SP3c6m0/hqdefault.jpg

I understand liking slapstick where character gets hurt like Tom and Jerry. But Pokemon is not like Tom and Jerry at all. It doesn't suit them. This issue is presented by Nostalgia critic.. that slapstick is not suitable for Looney Tunes, while it's suitable for Tom and Jerry.Plus, let's not forget Kanto did also have slapstick, but reason why it's not as bad as SM is because almost all of us grew with edited 4Kids version where they added sitcom in it.( when Ash roasts people where comedic effect comes from instead of Ash getting punch in the face; also when we were kids slapstick were OK, oh and we didn't have these "funny faces" in those 20 years at all). Sitcom definitely works for Pokemon like Kanto and SM, while slapstick and funny faces don't. Maybe they do work for little kids, but I am not below 13-14.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think filler episodes quality has also gone down from DP series. At least there were many fillers in johto and AG that were entertaining.

DatsRight

I think filler episodes quality has also gone down from DP series. At least there were many fillers in johto and AG that were entertaining.

I'd say SM at least often tries due to the larger formula breaks. Some of BW's were good as well, maybe for similar reasons.

I think DP and XY suffered the most because that was when the classic formula was used to the point of becoming stale. You could practically predict every scene and bit of dialogue.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I still don't understand how grown people can like funny faces;
Because they can.

Nothing new. Does it have more presence? Perhaps. But we've had this kind of stuff before in the past.

I understand liking slapstick where character gets hurt like Tom and Jerry. But Pokemon is not like Tom and Jerry at all. It doesn't suit them. This issue is presented by Nostalgia critic.. that slapstick is not suitable for Looney Tunes, while it's suitable for Tom and Jerry.Plus, let's not forget Kanto did also have slapstick, but reason why it's not as bad as SM is because almost all of us grew with edited 4Kids version where they added sitcom in it.( when Ash roasts people where comedic effect comes from instead of Ash getting punch in the face; also when we were kids slapstick were OK, oh and we didn't have these "funny faces" in those 20 years at all). Sitcom definitely works for Pokemon like Kanto and SM, while slapstick and funny faces don't. Maybe they do work for little kids, but I am not below 13-14.
This show has always been aimed for children first and foremost. What else is new?

CMButch

Because they can.
Nothing new. Does it have more presence? Perhaps. But we've had this kind of stuff before in the past.
This show has always been aimed for children first and foremost. What else is new?

Ok first of all just to say this; adults can like funny faces like Jim Carrey presents.Problem is; a) It actually suits Jim Carrey's character/s. b)they're not over-exaggerated( as in they edited Jim's faces like bigger face,mouth etc, c) they're actually used in certain context and they don't appear every 2-3 minutes.When you watch his movie, you don't see it being cringe-y instead; it's genuinely funny. In SM anime "funny" faces are not working at all, , they're over-exaggerated, they appear every 2-3 minutes in every episode. I LMFAO'd when Ash was roasting Misty in OS, that's true comedy suitable for Pokemon.Just wanted to clear this out.

We didn't have those faces in the past at all. Maybe 1-2 in OS at best and they weren't as "Jojo'd" as these.
Yes, but as Iris would say," SM would be for the littlest kids on the planet".

Last edited:

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Worst- the poke spokesman!

They implied in this episode that pokemon can't understand human speech. What a joke! How they follow the commands then?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I'd say SM at least often tries due to the larger formula breaks. Some of BW's were good as well, maybe for similar reasons.

I think DP and XY suffered the most because that was when the classic formula was used to the point of becoming stale. You could practically predict every scene and bit of dialogue.

Agreed some of BW fillers were really very very good like that buffalant episode, part of the reason is because all the members of BW trio (ash, iris and cilan) all had very interesting personalities and characters which made things interesting.

DatsRight

Agreed some of BW fillers were really very very good like that buffalant episode, part of the reason is because all the members of BW trio (ash, iris and cilan) all had very interesting personalities and characters which made things interesting.

Plus you know, it was the first series that tried not to over rely on TR padding (which also tended to make their own appearances count more).

Even the episodes that WERE standard 'bumbling TR scheme' plot lines often didn't feel as auto piloted as those in DP and XY.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I just wanted to say that I don't really want to compare XY & SM now, because the latter is still ongoing and I'm curious how far they will develop the companions until the end of the series, so I can give my full impression about it.

But I used to watch another anime with slapsticks and slice of life themes which is called Nichijou which I liked and SM reminded me that. And the baseball and Pokemon swap episodes were among my favorites in SM, because everyone got their spotlights, and it matters to me alot.

I had to admit that some XY(Z) episodes were rough to watch. Not only from fillers but also some showcases like the baking contest part of it. So far in SM, I don't recall seeing one episode that was really rough to me to watch.

As for Team Rocket, I'm not yet tired to see them compared to Ash & Pikachu, probably because I only watched like 20-25% of the whole show now.

DatsRight

I'm not tired of Team Rocket, just their formula, which became really lazy and repetitive after a while. OS and BW were at least examples of trying to make TR face-offs entertaining for the long duration of the series (all the others tend to have a few good ones at the start then slowly wind down), and while SM has some barebones TR face-offs, they only make a minimal amount of episodes compared to twerp-centric episodes or cases TR are doing something different from the norm.

In fairness nearly all the actual TR-centric episodes tend to be gold in any series, it's obvious they work better when they're not padding antagonists for the twerps.