• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best and Worst Rival

Kirby Phelps (PK)

EarthBound anyone?
Who do you think is the best and the worst rival in the Pokemon games and state your reason.

I think the best rival is Blue, hands down. He became the freakin Pokemon League Champion AND afterwards became a Gym Leader. Has any other rival managed to do that? No.

As for worst, I'd have to say Brendan/May, because they weren't even that serious about becoming Pokemon Masters. They gave up about half way through and decided to help out Prof. Birch instead. And even when they were replaced with Wally, he was a sickly little kid who broke a tradition of starting with a Pokemon the Prof gives you and started with Ralts instead. Lame.

Vault-Boy

I agree with May/Brendan being the worst, but I think the best was the red haired kid from Gold/Silver.

Tyranitar trainer

Back for a bit
I think the best was Silver because he had that evil factor while May/Brendan they were just trying to be your freind too much

Silver was the best. with the guy in d/p on second. although, i didnt really like his personality
Worst was brendan/may

Shiny Bashamo

Isn't it cute ^^
I think Silver was the best, it was like a rival should be, not some friend who you battle at certain points. Blue is a close second though.

the worst? I think it's Barry, come on, he just, like, bumps into you and only tries to be better than you because he wants to beat his dad. he is not even a rival, he is friend, it's even told before the game start. "oh, who is he? I think he is a friend of yours. What's his name?"

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Best. Pearl/Damion.

As much as I hate how hyper,and stubborn,he is,he is quite the rival.

Worst..Brendan. May's okay but Brendan..He's just a stalker,with no talent. Though,I don't like Blue/Green either. He's just..A little odd.

Elrade

Snarky snark snark.
The best has to be Silver, because he's actually evil. Pearl and Blue are pretty cool, though, but May/Brendan... Meh, they should have had Wally be your rival from the beginning. And had him choose a starter. He still has the type advantage if you picked Torchic, at least...

Mawile XD

ello thar
The best is Silver, hands down, just because of the criminal factor. I liked how he stole a bunch of his pokemon. The worst was Brendan/May, althgough I would say Barry. He's stronger, though, so Brendan/May are worst. They're just irritating.

Zetta Awesome

Why does everyone think Silver is evil, he stole one pokemon and kicked you? He also only tried to take your pokemon because he didn't believe you deserved them. He even wanted to stop Team Rocket. He was mildly bad until you beat some sense into him. Best rival imo is Blue, always a step ahead of you, champion, gym leader, you meet him at the worst times and the worst rival would be May/Brendan, they didn't even fully evolve their starter all the way. Wally was pretty good though. You saw a lot of change from this sickly kid into one of the stronger trainers in Hoenn. Barry was probably equal to him, I liked how he aspired to be like his dad and how powerful he became, especially in Platinum

Blue>Wally=Barry>Silver>>>>>>>Brendan/May

SaulGCube

Aeroga
I think Blue is the best hands down. The fact that he's one of the few rivals Ive ever lost too, he's consistently ahead of you, and he's just plain awesome. :p
As much as i hate too agree, May/Brandon were probably the worst rivals. I don't mind that they gave up training, but they still could have fully evolved their starter. -_-

Cappuccino

May/Brendan they were just trying to be your freind too much

lol, that sounded so wrong the first time I read it. Good one!

I'll agree with those who say Blue was the best rival. He really provided a challenge (and you can't ignore his girth, lol sorry, I just love that screencap)

About May/Brendan/Barry being more and more friendly, well, FRIENDSHIP and LOVE and PEACE and LET'S HOLD HANDs, EAT MARSHMALLOWS AND KNIT SWEATERS TOGETHER and similar "messages" have been multiplying in the recent games. Even the "evil" team leaders want to destroy the world just so they can make it a better place, for crying out loud!

Kirby Phelps (PK)

EarthBound anyone?
lol, that sounded so wrong the first time I read it. Good one!

I'll agree with those who say Blue was the best rival. He really provided a challenge (and you can't ignore his girth, lol sorry, I just love that screencap)

About May/Brendan/Barry being more and more friendly, well, FRIENDSHIP and LOVE and PEACE and LET'S HOLD HANDs, EAT MARSHMALLOWS AND KNIT SWEATERS TOGETHER and similar "messages" have been multiplying in the recent games. Even the "evil" team leaders want to destroy the world just so they can make it a better place, for crying out loud!

Well actually Cyrus didn't really want to make the world a better place. He wanted to destroy the world and create a new one in his own image. He just told Team Galactic that he'll make the world a better place so that they'll cooperate with him so he'll get what he wants.

Blue was by far the best. He provided a challenge and he became the Champion. He is always a step ahead of you, and he acts like a real rival should.

The worst was definetly May/Brendan. They were WAY too friendly. Plus, they seem to follow you EVERYWHERE. And they talk about giving you advice before battling the Champion. It's like, "Um...you didn't even evolve your starter all the way, and you gave up halfway through the freakin challenge! I think I can handle it myself! Take a hike, stalker!"

...Yeah. So: Blue>>>>>>>Silver>Barry>>>May/Brendan.

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
Why does everyone think Silver is evil, he stole one pokemon and kicked you? He also only tried to take your pokemon because he didn't believe you deserved them. He even wanted to stop Team Rocket. He was mildly bad until you beat some sense into him.

He stole two Pokemon. He stole his starter and the Sneasel from the man in Cianwood City who gives you the Shuckle.

Grei

not the color
Best Rival: Silver (his villainy is awesome)
Worst Rival: Brendan/May and Wally (the former stops being a trainer and Wally's just some sick loser guy)

coolespeon

I dont know.
Blue/green is the best by far, he is the one that means a bigger challenge, being the league champion, then the second is silver, third is barry and fourth is brendan/may.

PenguinBeam

Wish. Hope. Believe.
The best rival? I'd have to say Silver. He was serious. He was evil. He was seriously evil.

The worst rival? Brendan/May. As many said before, they were way too nice and weren't exactly serious Pokemon trainers. Although, I must admit, Brendan was the only trainer to ever cause me to black out (of course, I hadn't really been paying attention to the battle and had used the wrong attack on Marshtomp...).