• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best and Worst Rival

Vernikova

Champion
The best rival in my opinion would have to be Barry. He has some really funny lines and his overall character is great. This is especially reflected in his anime appearances.

My least favorite is Silver. He never really interested me during Johto. He did some stuff here and there but it wasn't much. Brendan, Wally, and May are right there with him.

Apocalypse_ZLS

The Apocalypse
The best rival hands down, is Blue/Green.
The guy became the freakin' champion! Which other rival became the champion before you, hm?
And the fact is, he's always one step ahead of you. He got the badge first, he got to certain places first, he got to the Elite Four first, he became Champion first. The guy's tough. He provided the best challenge, which is what I think being a "rival" means. He pushed you to get stronger Pokemon, etc..

Silver and Barry, a close second, I suppose. Both were pretty strong as well.

The worst? Brendan/May. Like everyone else said, they didn't take it seriously (and gave up half way). They were good... 'friends', but rivals? Not a chance.

Zonn13

87% Indubitable.
My favorite is easily Silver. He is the only evil one. XD

Worst? Yeah... May.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm agreeing with basically everyone here.

Best: Silver. Seriously, that kid had a disliking towards the silent protagonist, next to the fact he may be Giovanni's kid, and thus he inherited that grudge. I just love how overtime, you can see he is squirming over your success at getting stronger. Though it's the same with Blue, who almost threw a fit after defeating him at the Pokémon League xD. But he was a tough rival in many cases, and a challenging gym leader, the only one who doesn't have a single-type theme. He and Silver are just battling out for first place here.

Worst: YES, Brenden/May was the worst. Rivals really aren't supposed to be your friend, at least not for a VERY long time. Everything was easy-going, and he wasn't serious about it, even though he chose the Pokémon yours is weak against. Wally... let's not go there. But yeah, Hoenn was all "rainbows and butterflies" when it came to action. Even Team Magma and Aqua sucked >_>. If they had only managed to squeeze Team Rocket in, THEN it would've been more enjoyable.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
LETS ALL JUMP THE BANDWAGON WITH MORE JOHTO PRAISE AND EVEN MOR HOEEN BASHHING!
I liked them all.
They're just rivals for hells sake.

pokemaster001

in order of how good the generations were
barry because he's basically me with pokemon
uh...paul(I guess, most of you call him silver but I think he's like paul from the anime so I call him paul) because he's cool, the negative side of me, not a freind or anything, just a rival
May/Wally/Brendan because...they're generic, like the 3rd generation
Gary because he was always so annoying and I think he had a crappy theme

Silver personality beats all others.
May/Wally/Brendon doesn't deserve anything.

serenaballerina

I'd say the best rival was Blue. In my opinion, a rival shouldn't be a "bad guy". He should be semi friendly, but still strong and challenging. To me, Jun [DPPt] was not at all challenging. When I play RBY or GSC I actually felt challenged by the rival. But when ever I saw Jun running towards me I knew the battle would be easy.

Sigh!

Bad Taste Everywhere
best: Silver he is just bad***

worst: Dawn/Lucas They were technically your rivals and they were the only people to evr have their poke dex stolen

Hmm... This is how I see it...

Best:
1st - Silver
2nd - Barry/Damion/Jun/Pearl
3rd - Blue/Gary/Green
Worst: Brendan/May

No comment. :)

worst: Dawn/Lucas They were technically your rivals and they were the only people to evr have their poke dex stolen
They weren't rivals... You never had to battle them, either. =/ They were just friends/helpers.

Last edited:

LegendaryRotom

What is this, the Hoenn hate thread?

Wally was my favorite. 'Really cute character, who started as a sickly, insecure little kid, and ended up being a pain to beat in the end.
I also liked how he was a guy with such girly pokemon. (Gardevoir, Delcatty, Altaria, Roselia...) :)

Worst was Gary/Blue.

Last edited:

Cruisercard

I like Green/Blue the best, with Barry a close second.
I don't like May, though Wally is awesome when you fight him in victory Road.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

EarthBound anyone?
in order of how good the generations were
barry because he's basically me with pokemon
uh...paul(I guess, most of you call him silver but I think he's like paul from the anime so I call him paul) because he's cool, the negative side of me, not a freind or anything, just a rival
May/Wally/Brendan because...they're generic, like the 3rd generation
Gary because he was always so annoying and I think he had a crappy theme

This is the game we're talking about. Paul and Gary only exist in the anime.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I hated Wally as a Rival in RSE. He was more like... a quiet little kid training his Pokémon in obscurity. I'm not saying he's a bad person, it's just that he wasn't really much of a rival.

I liked all the other rivals, though - Gary, Silver and Barry. Especially Barry - he stepped it up in Platinum. I also liked it when Gary said "Smell ya later" and walked off XD

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Silver is probably the best rival because he's evil and he acts like a rival. Gary is cool too, since he was like that as well, but not as evil (even though he didn't help you defeat Team Rocket in Silph Co.).

The worst is Brendan/May since you only battle them 4 times and their teams are lackluster to boot, even in the last battle.

This is the game we're talking about. Paul and Gary only exist in the anime.

Gary exists in the game.

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I totally agree. I think Blue is the best rival ever either. He wins badges and the Champion title before you. I also like the music he appears, and the way he say "Smell ya later!":D
Brendan/May is the worst.

Last edited:

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
best: blue(green)

worst: may

enough said