• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best and Worst Rival

Honeii

Honey is good.
He stole two Pokemon. He stole his starter and the Sneasel from the man in Cianwood City who gives you the Shuckle.

I thought that he had the Sneasel from the start..?

I like Silver and Blue best. They were just plain awesome. I love how Blue says 'Smell 'ya later!' like that. And Silver was hard to beat. Blue was also always one step ahead.

Worst was Hoenn. May and Brendan gave up halfway, and they didn't fully evolve their starter. That is Fail.

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
1. Silver.
2. Gary.
3. Pearl.
over 9000. May (Come on, a non-fully evolved starter when I was in the level 45+ zone? total noob. even the E4 in Emerald was uber weak. I cant believe Game Freak and Nintendo cost-cutted for R/S/E....I like FR/LG better, more challenging...)

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
1. Silver
2. Blue/Pearl (tie)
3. Wally (he was kind of a rival)
4. May/Brendan

*Jean Grey*

Night Triumphant
I really like Silver and I think he's the best rival. I like how he's evil and cold to the player at first....plus he's really good eye candy

victreebel007

best blue due to being league champ, worst may/brendan because they weren't even proper rivals and gave up so quickly

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
1. Barry/Pearl: He's funny, and is both your friend and rival at the same time. His lines in platinum are brilliant. Like Blue (and I think silver) he's always one step ahead of you, until you eventually overtake. He's also seriously strong.
2. Blue/Gary: He's a classic. His got a hateable personality, and one of the best rival themes ever. The showdown at the elite four is perfect, albeit predictable.
3. Silver: He seems somewhat perosnalityless tbh. He needs some sort of backstory (in game, so that doesn't count the manga or obscure hints in far later games) to explain why he's so evil, and he needs to stop calling you weak after you kick his ***.
4. Brendan/May: Not a rival. Seems more like a pathetic fan club, who never achievs anything and just turns up. Weak, lame and never fully evolves starter. Mudkipz is wasted on these guys, although I do enjoy the battle theme.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
1. Blue - First rival I had and he always kicked my *** in the League after Lance. He also has great theme music. I should steal it from him ;D

2. Barry - My spazzy little friend that can't help but to lose to me. Despite me smashing him every time we met, he was a good test. Not only that but he saved my *** at Spear Pillar after the battle with Mars and Jupiter.

3. Silver - The only thing Silver has going for him is that he is tough. It was never explained why he was so cruel for the majority of the game, or why he pushed me -_-

4. May/Brendan - They have to be the weakest of the rivals. I had a harder time getting out of bed while I completely killed them in battle. Not only that but their starters remained in their second stage for about nine or ten levels.

yeminied

I find Barry the best rival. He was always getting stronger and proved a challenge all the way through the game. Blue was also a good rival, being champion and all.

The worst just has to be Brendan/May, like many others have said before me. They weren't that great a rival, were to friendly and just gave up Pokemon training for no apparent reason (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I played R/S/E).

Edit: Yay, rank up!

Shiny pokemon lower

Personally I found Blue as the worst rival. Second is Silver, third is Barry and fourth is Wally. And yes, it was a BIG mistake to drop Brendan/May and Lucas/Dawn hafway. I wonder why they did that?

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Barry is cool. He just has the best lines in and out the kazoo.

GARY MOTHER****IN OAK. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Brendan / May were pushovers, Wally was actually pretty good.

Silver is just another "Yoink! Now I'm your rival cos' I have a Pokemon which is super-effective against you!"

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Barry is cool. He just has the best lines in and out the kazoo.

Brendan / May were pushovers, Wally was actually pretty good.

Silver is just another "Yoink! Now I'm your rival cos' I have a Pokemon which is super-effective against you!"

Say that to the level seventeen Ralts he has.
My Azurill OHKO'd it.

Cappuccino

worst: Dawn/Lucas They were technically your rivals and they were the only people to evr have their poke dex stolen

I know someone already stated that they aren't really rivals but I found it really funny later in the game when Rowan's assistant (is he also Dawn's father if I remember correctly?) congratulates you on your progress with the pokedex and then adds "And in complete contrast, there's Dawn..." LOL, way to put her down... :D

Rokroad

Hot Drops
The best rival ?

Silver was quite cool, but I enjoyed Barry and Wally alot to. And Blue wasn't bad either.
Brendan and May are the worst. They didn't do anything and were just annoying.

Yoru Ryu

Zhampy
Best rival was Blue. He was a rear end, had a history with the player and actaully made it as a trainer, first as the short-lived Champion then as an actual Gym Leader. And he had a catchphrase 8D

Worst one was probably Barry. He's too buddy-buddy with you. I could say the same about May/Brendan but i honestly don't remember much about them =/ So maybe they are the worst, ehh.

Does Wally count as a proper rival?

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
That was the best quote I heard in years lol.

Silver is just another "Yoink! Now I'm your rival cos' I have a Pokemon which is super-effective against you!"[/QUOTE]
I believe this fits more to Brendan and May?