• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best and worst special capture method?

Which is your favourite?

• Horde Battles

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Dex Nav

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • S.O.S. Battle

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Max Raid Dens

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Hidden Grottos

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Which of these special types of wild pokemon battle do you prefer the most? Out of the ones where you can find or battle pokemon in an unusual way to unlock special pokemon.

For instance, I really loved S.O.S. Battles. You had to think outside the box to get certain mons to come out. And keep things like wild mons with recoil moves alive on low health. Or protect one pokemon that was being attacked by another. While checking the wild pokemon's abilities mid-battle. So it was quite challenging, and encouraged creative thinking.

But you could also still collect a specific mon with a hidden ability quite reliably when you did come up with the solution.

Meanwhile, I really grew to hate Max Raids. They're so heavily luck based. With certain hidden abilities and min-speed IV G-Max pokemon being very unlikely. Its particularly annoying that there was no indication that certain mons didn't have their hidden abilities available at all (ie. Boltund and Liepard).

Not to mention, the AI trainers are too weak and stupid, and playing with real people usually leads to lazily picking a mon with a type advantage to smash into the Dynamaxed pokemon.

Plus it only exists in one area of the game. So if you want special pokemon, you have to get them from one chunk of the region, rather than re-visiting a full region with all its lovely scenery and weird NPCs.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm not a big max raid fan, especially when trying to catch shinies. It's far too luck based. As for going for a type advantage, it is the only way I can take raids on, on my own.

As for least favorite method, it is not a catching method, but I hate shiny chaining using dex nav in Diamond (iirc). Always ran into bad luck with it.

As for favorite, I have two, one being shiny hunting in friend safaris in X version and the other being horde shiny raiding.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hordes & SOS are my favorites because I like the concept of wild Pokémon coming together to battle

Dex Nav & Hidden Grottos are right behind them because they’re cool ways to get competitively viable Pokémon

Max Raids are good in concept but they’re a bore to sit through especially when playing with others

Entradius1

Just some dude
Hidden Grottos are probably my favorite with dex nav right behind it.

I really did not like horde battles because I lost a few shinies to them.

S.O.S. Battles looked cool in concept but were a tad grindy.

Max raids are probably my least favorite. The concept looked interesting but it relies too much on luck, it is too grindy, it is repetitive, and the online component makes it even worse.
That being said I have collected a lot of shinies from max raid battles, but that is probably due to other people abusing an exploit. Which I shall not mention here.

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
hidden grottoes were interesting. hordes were good for shiny hunting for someone like me who has no patience to full odds one encounter at a time. everything else was kind of meh, and max raids might be some of the worse when you don't have online. lost so many event g-max just because the ai and their poor type matchups.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Favourite would be Horde Battles and DexNav, the former is great for farming EVs and the latter is my current favourite way to get HAs.

In the middle is Max Raid Battles, great for getting a stack of TRs and the events keep things a bit interesting. However high-ranked battles can be unbearable without Level 100 Pokemon or smashing them with Zacian/Zamezenta or Eternatus.

Least favourite would be SOS Battles, if you are not hunting for HA Pokemon the constant calling for help (in SM) can be annoying. Farming specific Pokemon (notably HA Mareinie and Ditto with high IVs) may require Pokemon you have to jump through a few hoops to obtain.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked the Hidden Grottoes, although it could be annoying sometimes since there was a long waiting period between encounters in them. The S.O.S. battle method is probably my least favorite.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Dex Nav remains my favorite. I wish it showed up in more than just ORAS, it was really convenient in getting Pokemon with good IVs, non-traditional movesets and even hidden abilities. Even if it involved a lot of grinding

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Island Scan for me. It's so reliable in that you always know what you're going to find. Dex Nav just doesn't work for me at all, it never finds any of the pokémon I let it search for.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Out of these choices, Max Raid Battles are my favorite but specifically with other people. It's cool to have a group of human players working as a team like that and the higher-star raids actually give out Pokemon I can work with competitively.

I do also miss the double patches of grass in Gen 5 though. I guess it was available in Gen 4 too but since I never played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum I only experienced the Gen 5 variant.

Dex Nav is the best method and SOS Battle and Honey Trees are tied as the worst because they take too much time and effort just to find rarer Pokemon.