• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Anime To Check Out?

Kabuto

little punks!
I have about a month of free time, and I want to expand my mind, and watch some anime. Unfortunately, I probably don't have enough time to watch entire series of shows, but I want to check out some neat anime.

The only anime I've extensively watched are Dragonball Z, Naruto, Trigun, and Pokemon, of course.

I've been dipping my hands on Yu Yu Hakusho and Ruroni Kenshin lately too, and I'm a big fan (though I probably don't have time to finish either series)

Any anime I should check out though? Any particular episodes that stand out (as I don't have time for full blown series)? I like action shows that touch upon deep themes.

I also like anime movies. Big fan of Akira, and anything by Miyazaki.

CuriousHeartless

Didn't we used to have a sticky for stuff like this? Oh well.

I'm gonna recommend what I recommend to everyone: Watch Gurren Lagann. It's premiering on Toonami tomorrow night if you have that channel.

That's tomorrow? I thought that was in October.

Normally my recommendations are Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, and Trigun. You already watched Trigun, and CC already suggested GL, so watch Kill la Kill.

Shadow XD001

I definitely recommend finishing Rurouni Kenshin. The only downside is that the entirety of season 3 is filler, and it's baaaaad. I would not recommend watching season 3, but seasons 1 and 2 are necessary.

Also, another series I would recommend is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Great for someone who is just starting out.

Kabuto

little punks!
What episode does the Rurouni Kenshin filler start? (And where does Season 2 officially end?) I'm definitely a huge fan of it, and Yu Yu Hakusho as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, would love to hear more. So hard to choose anime- I've heard great things about Bleach, Magi, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece too.

Ayyy, so hard to choose.

Last edited:

Shadow XD001

The Kenshin filler starts at episode 63 and continues until the anime ends at episode 95. After season 2, I recommend reading the manga if you're up to it. That would be roughly 100 chapters.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Thanks for the suggestions guys, would love to hear more. So hard to choose anime- I've heard great things about Bleach, Magi, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece too.

Ayyy, so hard to choose.

I haven't seen Magi but from what I've heard it hasn't done well in adapting the source material.
Cowboy Bebop is one of those "must sees" when it comes to anime. You won't regret watching that one.
Bleach is hundreds of episodes long and not worth it, One Piece is at least twice as long as that. If you do want to watch something that's a few hundred episodes I'd recommend Gintama. I know several other members here will back me up on that one.
Fullmetal Alchemist is another "must see". Make sure you go for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood instead of the 2003 series, as Brotherhood adapts the full story of the original manga.

Still, Gurren Lagann man. Best anime.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Watch Death Note and Code Geass if you're into mind games. They're both much shorter than the shows you're watching so you should be able to squeeze them in.

And Gurren Lagann. Do yourself a favour.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
me i think i would probably recommend sword art online, i heard its been a pretty famous game that is being adapted into the anime

feel free to check that one if you have time for those who don't know , though i'm pretty sure most of us know sao already

and maybe i should recommend jojo's adv too, though i think this is from my perspective

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, I'd say Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I don't really think that'd be a good thing for a new-comer to start with, unless they're really up for it. But it's one of those "must sees" as well, if only just to have an opinion on it. Same goes for Serial Experiments Lain. Another classic would be Vision of Escaflowne. Both shows are mecha (like Gurren Lagann), and they're a good place to start when getting into the genre.

I'd also like to recommend Higurashi if you're up for a good mystery and scare.

If you want something funny, others will say Gintama, but if you want something two-cour, Azumanga Daioh could work. It could also be a good start into the slice-of-life genre, but the comedy is the big thing. Same goes for Nichijou but I haven't finished it yet. On the same vein as Gurren Lagann, but of a different genre, I'll back up the recommendation of Kill la Kill as well.

For Magical Girl, best ones are Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Madoka Magica.

For anime movies, anything by Mamoru Hosoda, the late and great Satoshi Kon (though Paranoia Agent is a TV anime), and Makoto Shinkai. And Mamoru Oshii.

And that's all I can really think of. Happy watching~

Shadow XD001

The only problem with Gintama is the slow start and that might not be good for a newcomer.

I definitely recommend watching it sometime.

AD95

Saying that you watched Dragonball Z and Naruto, you must like shounen animes. Try watching One Piece. Sure the first few episodes are boring, but it gets really awesome. (i watched 650 episodes in 2 weeks, sometimes no sleep)

Code Geass is one of the best animes. 50 episodes, 2 seasons with each season 25 episodes.
Hunter x Hunter is also one of the best one out there. 5 more episodes left and then it will stop, there are now about 142 episodes if im not mistaken.
Akame ga Kill, start a bit slow, but after 5 episodes it's just like Game of Thrones. (a lot of blood and torturing of innocent people)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, no doubt, this anime has the best story line of all the animes. Highest rated on myanimelist.com
Attack on Titans also a good one.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I would also suggest Hunter x Hunter. Not an episode of filler, as far as I can tell. It's also relatively clean, even for my standards. I though Kill la Kill was too much, and while Hunter x Hunter had swears, it was still fine. And hilarious.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I would also suggest Hunter x Hunter. Not an episode of filler, as far as I can tell. It's also relatively clean, even for my standards. I though Kill la Kill was too much, and while Hunter x Hunter had swears, it was still fine. And hilarious.

I'm sure you know this, but the original Japanese doesn't have a lot of swearing. There's really nothing like fuck, shit, etc. The most they have is equivalent to bastard. It's really the tone that convenes the meaning, and even then they don't have too bad of language

And they use a lot of their "swear words" in almost every anime. Here's one you probably hear a lot, as an example. Urusai means to shut up.

Any swears you might see are usually added in by the dubber or subber, so your complaint doesn't really make sense. And there are almost no bad ones. The ones that are however, are rarely used. Like kusottare, which means shit drip. I can't really say I've heard that one.

From this list, it's clear that they're not very insulting, and are almost all the swear words are mild compared to ours

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
me i think i would probably recommend sword art online, i heard its been a pretty famous game that is being adapted into the anime

Do you even know what Sword Art Online is? It's a light novel series that was adapted into an anime. And I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Saying that you watched Dragonball Z and Naruto, you must like shounen animes. Try watching One Piece. Sure the first few episodes are boring, but it gets really awesome. (i watched 650 episodes in 2 weeks, sometimes no sleep)

That's a little too much for a newcomer I think.

Akame ga Kill, start a bit slow, but after 5 episodes it's just like Game of Thrones. (a lot of blood and torturing of innocent people)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa
what

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Watch slice of life anime and stay away from shonens. You'll only end up disappointed

Since you seem to want to kill time, I wouldn't bother with the 200+anime. You'd get more from watching shorter ones.

-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
-Kanon 2006
-Clannad
-Higurashi (this requires some time investment)
-FLCL
-Hidamari Sketch
-Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
-Nichijou

Out of all of these, I'd recommend Nichijou, Clannad, and Madoka Magica the simply because they're pretty varied from each other.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
That awkward moment when I actually really like Sword Art Online... anyways:

For comedy: Space Dandy
For shonen: Fairy Tail
For action: Soul Eater

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Out of all of these, I'd recommend Nichijou, Clannad, and Madoka Magica the simply because they're pretty varied from each other.

Yes, all of these are fantastic. And FLCL is easy to watch in one sitting since it's just 6 episodes.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Do you even know what Sword Art Online is? It's a light novel series that was adapted into an anime. And I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

* now you said it *

i forgot to mention only teenagers should be recommended for that anime, i forgot that anime involves a lot of killing and fighting scenes (and now this my bad OK?)

yeah of course i know it comes from light novel because that is how i knew sao

Since you seem to want to kill time, I wouldn't bother with the 200+anime. You'd get more from watching shorter ones.

you have to think other people too, some people find it a bit strenuous to watch a 200 episode anime, as for beginners i would think the best anime that you can watch are probably those mild plotting with few episodes then as you progress to know more, you can go for those with 50+, then those 100+ and so on until you reach

DETECTIVE CONAN (i wonder if how many of you can stand watching that and still ongoing in japan)

Watch slice of life anime and stay away from shonens.

then you can go with the shoujo anime instead, those ones are more less violent imo

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
-Kanon 2006
-Clannad
-Higurashi (this requires some time investment)
-FLCL
-Hidamari Sketch
-Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
-Nichijou

How do I keep forgetting to recommend FLCL? There's quite a lot of six-episode anime out there, so I don't know why that slips my mind all the time.

then you can go with the shoujo anime instead, those ones are more less violent imo

Someone hasn't seen Vision of Escaflowne.