• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Custom Gaming Desktop

Abstinence Pistols

I'm attempting to build a gaming desktop over the summer. I'd like to stay under about a thousand dollars or so, and if need be I'll sacrifice price for performance. However, I don't really have a clue about which parts are the best for it. I'd like to be able to play Skyrim, Deus Ex, TF2, and Left 4 Dead at fairly high settings with a good framerate. Does anyone know the graphics card, computer model, etc. I should get to meet my specifications?

Thanks!

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
Hi, though kinda late, you may want to go to a custom PC vendor like Alienware.
They create computers specifically for gaming.
Your specs may be similar to a dual or quad core i5 or i7 intel processor. As for the ghz, nothing less than 2.0
RAM: I would go 4+ gb
and your graphics card: anything NVIDIA

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Get a reasonable i5, 8 GB RAM, then shell out a lot for a graphics card. That should last you quite a while.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
It's really hard to reccomend a complete build for you, but I highly advise you go for a Phenom 2 Quad Core CPU. They're really cheap, but do the job really well. Intel CPUs tend to squeeze out a little more performance in CPU-intensive tasks such as video conversion, but you pay quite a bit more for that little bit.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I run all the games on that list, and this is by system:

Processor:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory:
4096MB RAM (4GB)
Hard Drive:
1 TB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

The Video card is old, and was kept from a older pc just to keep the price down on a PC that stopped working. Chances are you'll have trouble finding one, it's near the bottom of the range when I got it, at least 3/4 years ago.

Skyrim runs not that far from the Medium settings, but it doesn't look that bad. I can run the official "HD texture Pack" but I choose not to given how much my pc has trouble loading it.

any think with a 8gbRam and a nvidioa Geforce 9600 gt can run most old games and a few new ones it's impossible though to play dead island on it trust me worst 30 bucks i ever spent...

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
Hi, though kinda late, you may want to go to a custom PC vendor like Alienware.
They create computers specifically for gaming.
Your specs may be similar to a dual or quad core i5 or i7 intel processor. As for the ghz, nothing less than 2.0
RAM: I would go 4+ gb
and your graphics card: anything NVIDIA
No, no, just no. Thye cost 50% more for the same performace.

Get a reasonable i5, 8 GB RAM, then shell out a lot for a graphics card. That should last you quite a while.
^This, so much this.

It's really hard to reccomend a complete build for you, but I highly advise you go for a Phenom 2 Quad Core CPU. They're really cheap, but do the job really well. Intel CPUs tend to squeeze out a little more performance in CPU-intensive tasks such as video conversion, but you pay quite a bit more for that little bit.
No. Intel CPUs are currently all round better for gaming.

I run all the games on that list, and this is by system:

The Video card is old, and was kept from a older pc just to keep the price down on a PC that stopped working. Chances are you'll have trouble finding one, it's near the bottom of the range when I got it, at least 3/4 years ago.

Skyrim runs not that far from the Medium settings, but it doesn't look that bad. I can run the official "HD texture Pack" but I choose not to given how much my pc has trouble loading it.
You can get more out of $1000 today.

any think with a 8gbRam and a nvidioa Geforce 9600 gt can run most old games and a few new ones it's impossible though to play dead island on it trust me worst 30 bucks i ever spent...
Currently true.

Here's my reccomended build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($205.74 @ Mwave)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive ($17.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1220.66
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-31 16:48 EDT-0400)

AND

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71143&vpn=BFC-PRO-300-KKSK-RP&manufacture=BitFenix

will make a VEY nice computer for 2~3 years!

Rainion

Long Awaited Champio
He said under 1000, though, so replace the 670 with a 570 and the cpu cooler with a Hyper 212 plus.