• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best-Designed Game Protagonists?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Gen 1: Red ended up pretty meh-ish. The typical protagonist design. Leaf is better
Gen 2: Ethan looks better than Red. The chick from HG/SS is decent. Love Chris.
Gen 3: Brendan and May are both good.
Gen 4: Love them
Gen 5: IMO rather bland.
Gen 6: Calem is bland, Serena is good.
Gen 7: Okay
Gen 8: Love them

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If I had to go by each game, it'd probably be the following:
  • R/B/Y- Red (only option)
  • G/S/C- Ethan & Kris (both designs are equally good)
  • R/S/E- RS Brendan (his hair-like hat is too iconic for me, plus I like the slightly baggy details in his clothes more than his Emerald outfit)
  • FR/LG- Leaf (I prefer Green more, but her design stuck out more than Red's revamped look)
  • D/P/Pt- Pt Lucas & DP Dawn (Dawn has a little more of an edge because of the anime, but both of these designs a nice simple winter motif)
  • HG/SS- Ethan & Lyra (both are equally good)
  • B/W- Hilda (one of the best examples of a tomboy design, plus I'm a fan of Kylie Nim's webcomic Myths of Unova)
  • BW2- Nate (overall design has a similar vibe to the Gen 1-3 male protagonists, plus I like his spiky hair)
  • X/Y- Calem & Serena (both are equally good, though I lean a little more towards Serena since Calem looks too similar to Nate)
  • OR/AS- May (It captures the spirit of her original design while showing off the more tropical aspects of Hoenn)
  • S/M- Selene (the outfit pops out more than Elio, plus I still remember the Chicken Hat memes that came out when she was 1st revealed)
  • US/UM- Elio & Selene (both are equally good)
  • SW/SH- Gloria (both are decent on their own, but the Scottish trainer memes make me love her design more than Victor's)
  • Legends- Rei & Akari (both are nice Meiji twists on the DPt protagonists, though Akari feels more distinct while Rei looks identical to Lucas)

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Probably Serena the most, among the female protagonists, as she kinda reminds me of Smurfette and I like her high thighs.

Otherwise, almost all of the female protagonists are good, although I didn't feel much about Crystal & Lyra designs.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Let me just say as a man similar to my age (33) I tend to lean towards girls in terms of designs, they get the better deals and shows off their bodies.
Hilda's bushy ponytail look and May's sporty clothes in particular.

BUT ABSOLUTELY HATED IT :mad: when the anime decided to have Serena cut her hair short for character CHANGE IN course. The new costume she added instead was fine though
I'm glad they kept it long throughout the x and y games. The long hair really helped her design.

If I had to go by each game, it'd probably be the following:
  • SW/SH- Gloria (both are decent on their own, but the Scottish trainer memes make me love her design more than Victor's)

I loved that meme, they missed out on giving her funny dialogue.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The boys are not very impressive for me, maybe except Brendon.
Serena, May and Dawn are VERY well-designed and its no surprised the three of them were main characters in the anime

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I also kind of like May's Emerald design just a bit.

Which of May's looks do you think is the best, her R/S, Emerald or OR/AS form? I personally prefer the last one.

BUT ABSOLUTELY HATED IT :mad: when the anime decided to have Serena cut her hair short for character CHANGE IN course. The new costume she added instead was fine though
I'm glad they kept it long throughout the x and y games. The long hair really helped her design.

I think it's a common trope in anime for female characters to cut their hair short after facing adversity or difficulty. This also happens in Mulan (1998) as well.

jaden767

Amphetamine
My favorite girl designs are Rosa, Hilda, Serena and May. I actually don't care that much about the boy character designs but Red and Hilbert look ok.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Favorite Male protagonists: Red, Ethan, and Hilbert
Favorite Female protagnists: Kris, Hilda, and Gloria