• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Gaming Series ever.

What is the best of the really popular gaming series

• Total voters
We constantly debate what game is the best ever, but very rarely do we ask what is the best series of games ever. Well this is my question to Serebii.net, what is the best series there has ever been. Rule 1, Only series that have 3 or more games may get a vote. (Eliminating great series like SSB, and Chrono) Rule 2, side games count in the normal series unless actually made into own series in and of itself. (Best example would be this, FF Tactics, and FF X-2 is part of the FF line, but Compilation of FF VII, can in itself be its own line{not that anyone would vote for Compilation of VII as best series ever, but it is an example}) Rule 3, the votes are in your POST, though I will have a poll up there, that is just for the most popular ones there have ever been, to easily see what is tops, but I will be counting the votes in the posts as the official ones.

I guess I will start this off. This was alot more difficult for me in the end than I thought it would be. As I started narrowing them down, I noticed just how many I started with. After getting rid of Donkey Kong, Banjo, Mario Kart, Splinter Cell, Mortal Combat, Devil May Cry, Dead or Alive, Star Fox, Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic, Metal Gear, Yoshi's, Dragon Quest, Soul-, Mega Man, and Doom (in no particular order), I was left with some big boys to deal with.

Resident Evil (4)
Mario (Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64)
Legend of Zelda (Minish Cap, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)
Final Fantasy (IV, VI, VII, IX, X, Tactics)
Metroid (Title, Super Metroid)
Metal Gear Solid (Title, II)

Now it was time to chip them off one by one. They all have a legit claim for (at least)one of the best games ever according to fans (which I wrote up there) I was going to take MGS out first, but I had to be honest with myself, MGS and II combined, is better than RE 4, which is probably better than either of those 2 alone. Since RE 2 is the only other RE game that really is hailed as an excellent game in the series (KEEP LEON IN THE GAMES) I had to let it go before MGS. Than it seemed like MGS was going next, but than I really looked at it against the remaining, and though it does not at all hang with Mario, Zelda, or FF, it gives Metroid a run for its money. The games came out about even, so I decided to put there most shocking moments up aginst each oter. Samus=Female vs. OMG THIS GUY CAN READ MY MIND. Yeah, Psycho Mantis wins, and so does MGS.

6 RE
5 Metroid
4 MGS

It was not easy between these 3. However, 3rd was easier than I thought it would be. Mario is gone. Though he may have saved gaming, there is something about Zelda and FF that the plumber simply does not have.
3 Mario

More or less this was all build up to what more people than not, consider the best gaming series out there. Miyamoto's masterpiece for Nintendo, vs. Amono, and Nomura's gems across multi systems. There really was only one way to do this, have the 5 best against each other. I went in order, which made VI vs ALTTP, OoT vs VII, and TP vs X near even for systems, the other two not so much, not my fault Zelda only had one SNES game.

Legend of Zelda vs FF IV
A Link to the Past vs VI
OoT vs VII
Windwaker vs IX
Twilight Princess vs X

The first one is easy enough, IV. The second one is the hardest one on the board, but I went with VI slightly over ALttP, because of Kefka. Ocarina of Time slightly over VII, and Windwaker over IX. That brought us to TP (which I think is the best game ever) vs X. I love X, I really do, but TP has been perfect in every aspect to me, and have to pick it over X.
So, my vote goes to...The Legend of Zelda.

2 Final Fantasy
1 The Legend of Zelda.

Votes.
The Legend of Zelda-1

Tyranitar455

Epic LULZ
My vote went toward Metal Gear Solid, even though I do love the Final Fantasy, and pokemon series.

I'm not going to vote on this, but I have two things to say:
1) The Mario Kart series is just as much a part of the Mario series as the Mario Party series. Mario Kart should have it's own section.
2) The Sonic series? That belongs on this poll I think.

Beautiful Dirt

Moon Master
The Sonic series? That belongs on this poll I think.

Agreed, Sonic cannot be forgotten. The newer 3D games may not be that great, but sonic has been a very long-running series and was a force to be reckoned with back in the days of sega making its own systems.

Final Fantasy is definitely one of my favorite series, as are Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and Devil May Cry. I'll throw God of War in here too, since the sequal will be here soon.

Um...

Can I choose Civillization? Or the Total War series? I wish there was an other selection. ;; PC gets no love

Of those Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are the only series that approach the awesome epicness of Midieval II: Total Wars biggest battles.

I'm not going to vote on this, but I have two things to say:
1) The Mario Kart series is just as much a part of the Mario series as the Mario Party series. Mario Kart should have it's own section.
2) The Sonic series? That belongs on this poll I think.
1, read my first post, Mario Kart, and Mario Party would be separate series, but no sane individual has ever said MP is one of the best series ever.
2 No, it doesn't, it was the last one I left off, but the 10 I put above it, are all more popular than Sonic as a whole.

Agreed, Sonic cannot be forgotten. The newer 3D games may not be that great, but sonic has been a very long-running series and was a force to be reckoned with back in the days of sega making its own systems.

He was not forgotten, he was in my post, he is just no longer one of the 10 most popular series, this is fact.

Um...

Can I choose Civillization? Or the Total War series? I wish there was an other selection. ;; PC gets no love

Of those Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy are the only series that approach the awesome epicness of Midieval II: Total Wars biggest battles.
Yes, you can, just choose which one in your post. The Poll is not where the main part of this topic is, those are just what I feel are the 10 most talked about series, the vote for your best is in your post.
I know Civilization has more than 3 games, so it is eligible, I don't know how many Total War has. Anyway, vote for whichever you want.

Votes. (Of those who posted their favorite in their post)
The Legend of Zelda 2
Metal Gear Solid 1
Dragon Quest 1

roses_108

I think im gonna have to say pokemon because i have played it since i was about 10 years old and now im 18 and i still enjoy it so pokemon it is but my second one would have to be mariokart.

[AceAussie]

Awaiting October.
Wow this is tough..

I Love..Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Metriod and Resident Evil..

But i've been playing Pokemon for 8 years of my life and i still enjoy the series so i put that one as my Vote
But FF and Zelda come really close
The others are great but not as good as the top 3...

And i personally think Sonic is a good Character but when you ask for the best series of all time that does include all of his adventures and the 3D ones were pathetic...People should understand that sonic has lost his flare and just isn't as fun as it use to be, Therefor he can't be the greatest series of all time.

But in the end Zelda is actually the greatest series of our time...Well to gamefaqs user's anyway

Last edited:

Bulbatordile

Who can say?
I voted for Final Fantasy,
However Zelda, Kingdom Hearts Metroid and Pokemon are also faves of mine.
Pokemon was my 1st ever game so its a bit special - but Final Fantasy just beat it.

azurill

My faves are Kingdom Hearts,Mario,Pokemon and Final Fantasy

Elimination Time:
First goes Kingdom Hearts,it's a great game series,but I feel that each installment is a little less good as the previous one.

Next would be Mario,he is doing a great job as a plumber,but I'm still waiting for something better.Maybe Galaxy will earn him points.

Now we've got Pokemon and Final Fantasy.Although the difference would be 0.0000000000001%
I vote for Pokemon.

Valoc Darkmyre

Steel Type Hunter
Looking at your list I'd have to go for one plumber in red, seeing that most of his platforming and RPG outings have pretty solid gameplay. The Zelda series is a close second.

Commenting on the games you chose for your poll I'm curious as to why the Castlevania series isn't on there, considering that Symphony of the Night and the handheld outings that use its Metroidvania (Metroid-style Castlevania) formula are pretty darn solid. I also don't see the point of having two different Mario options on the poll, even if one's for the Mario Kart games. Just curious, that's all.

Commenting on the games you chose for your poll I'm curious as to why the Castlevania series isn't on there, considering that Symphony of the Night and the handheld outings that use its Metroidvania (Metroid-style Castlevania) formula are pretty darn solid. I also don't see the point of having two different Mario options on the poll, even if one's for the Mario Kart games. Just curious, that's all.

I am not sure Castlevania was ever more popular than those 10 series, but if it was than, it surely is not now. In the last 5 years, I feel Castlevania has lost 10% of its rabid fans, easy. No one seems to complain that I had Metal Gear Solid, not Metal Gear series up there, why the whole Mario Kart backlash. Mario Kart, Mario Sports, Mario Party, and more or less, Mario RPG's, are all seperate series from Super Mario. Each of which having more more than 3 instalments, and each varying greatly from the Super Mario formula. It is my opinion that putting Mario Kart with Mario is a great injustice to both franchises, clearly some disagree, and are entitled to do so, I just personally see them as completely separate entities.

Votes
Legend of Zelda 2
Fire Emblem 1
Pokemon 4
Final Fantasy 1
Metal Gear Solid 1
Dragon Quest 1

1, read my first post, Mario Kart, and Mario Party would be separate series, but no sane individual has ever said MP is one of the best series ever.
2 No, it doesn't, it was the last one I left off, but the 10 I put above it, are all more popular than Sonic as a whole.

I'll leave the MK/MP one for now, but the poll is still flawed with the whole Sonic thing. Sonic IS a popular gaming series, even if it isn't one of the 10 most popular. If you are going to do a poll like this, there must be more options for some of the others. Just because it isn't one of the most popular doesn't mean it should be excluded from polls.

EDIT: I must build on this. "Best Gaming Series Ever" Many would say some games that aren't on the list. It would make more sense to include them or change the poll to "Best Gaming Series Currently in the Top 10".

Last edited:

azurill

BTW,what is this doom thing in the poll?

I'll leave the MK/MP one for now, but the poll is still flawed with the whole Sonic thing. Sonic IS a popular gaming series, even if it isn't one of the 10 most popular. If you are going to do a poll like this, there must be more options for some of the others. Just because it isn't one of the most popular doesn't mean it should be excluded from polls.

EDIT: I must build on this. "Best Gaming Series Ever" Many would say some games that aren't on the list. It would make more sense to include them or change the poll to "Best Gaming Series Currently in the Top 10".

Ok, THE POLL IS JUST FOR THE TOP 10!!!! Notice how I have a voting thing in all my posts. THAT is the real answers. What people put as the best series in their posts is their answer, and what I am counting. That is why Fire Emblem has a vote right now. What YOU think is the best gaming series with 3 or more games is where the votes are coming from. If you want to vote for Sonic, than by all means, vote for Sonic, I love Sonic, I would be happy if the blue blur got some votes.

Azurill, that would be the series Doom.

Votes
Legend of Zelda 2
Fire Emblem 1
Pokemon 4
Final Fantasy 1
Metal Gear Solid 1
Dragon Quest 1