As Gen 7 comes to a close, a new generation will take its place. In celebration, I'm looking back at the music of Gen 7. Which tunes in Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (not counting Let's Go) stood out the most to you? Here are my personal favourites:
- Lush Jungle - I loved the zen vibes I got from this one. The xylophone (?) kind of reminds me of raindrops falling on leaves, which sometimes happens in this part of Alola.
- Hau'oli City - The day version is bright and happy, while the night version is relaxing with its lounge-jazz sound. I prefer the day version a little more, however.
- Malie City - The Far Eastern flavour of this tune kind of reminds me of Ecruteak City in Johto, especially its HG/SS variant. This is most likely because Malie was inspired by Johto's architecture.
- Seafolk Village - I think it just fits the place for some reason. I like the night version better, because it's pretty calming to listen to.
- Vast Poni Canyon - It reminds me of going on a big adventure, like Indiana Jones.
- Totem Pokémon Battle - Those drums are so intense. I like the bit just before the song loops again, when they go into full-on ‘boss’ mode.
- Tapu Battle - Sometimes you hear what sounds like "guardian" throughout the song, which is a perfect fit as you're battling the guardians of the Alolan islands. It has a bit of Hawaiian music in it, too.
- Ultra Necrozma Battle - Organs. What else? I think this is the first 'true' boss battle theme in Pokémon - you're saving Alola from this colossal beast that's devouring all the light in it, and it also devoured arguably the most famous character in the whole of Gen 7 - Cosmog, AKA Nebby.