• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Generation of Starters?

Best Generation of Starters?

• Gen 1 (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Gen 2 (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile)

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Gen 3 (Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip)

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Gen 4 (Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup)

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Gen 5 (Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Gen 6 (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie)

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters

CovertNinja

Pokemon Master
Overall, which generation has proved to give us the best trio of starters? When answering, do not answer based solely on your personal, single favorite. Think of the trio as a whole and how they look and how the have been perceived by their audience. Gen 6 is now in play, so this should be interesting...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
None of us have any idea concerning the movepools, stats, or even the evolutions of the Gen VI starters. Why are they included? Anyone who would vote for them would be doing so based on incomplete knowledge, and the same applies to anyone who dislikes them.

I'd say

I > III > IV > V > II.

I feel as though Generation I did the best job of balancing the starters, ensuring that all were powerful and useful throughout the game. Generation II's starters were uninspired statistical rip-offs of Generation I's, and were all outclassed by other stuff besides maybe Typhlosion, also lol Chikorita. Generation III gets second-best; while I did like the typings and stats, I wasn't too fond of Sceptile, though I did consider these over the Gen I starters for best. Generation IV's are largely dominated by Infernape, and I find it difficult to appreciate the others (though that may just be because I don't like slow Pokemon with weaknesses). Generation V's had good designs, but their stats, typing, and movepool were underwhelming.

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!
Uhhm... <.> I'm on the line, if Gen 6, and 5. Maybe also 3. Because I loved Hoenn so much <.>

I'll go with Hoenn. Because I love Torchic :3

Kalosian

So long
Right now, fourth generation has my favorite starters. Can't say anything about the 6th gen starters since I haven't had the chance to use them yet, they have a chance of becoming future favorites depending on a lot of factors.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Gen IV. Prior to Gen VI, it was the only Gen in which I liked all of the Starters for one reason or another.

If I had to rate them, then it would go:

IV > VI > II > I > V > III

I love all of Gen 3s starters, so it was an easy choice.

Torpoleon

Too early to tell for Generation VI because we don't know their evolutions and moves yet, but as for the others, I'd say Generation VI had the best. I like the designs, types and the fact that each final evolved form got a second type.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Too early to tell for Generation VI because we don't know their evolutions and moves yet, but as for the others, I'd say Generation VI had the best. I like the designs, types and the fact that each final evolved form got a second type.

Clearly you mean a different generation here.

How they are perceived by the audience? You can't beat an original. Gen I here.

On a personal note.
In every generation I have either liked one/two starters or none of them, but I have never liked all three. Except for Generation I.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
really confuse cause i like all of them :(

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Hum, tough one, since every Gen (cept II, III, and VI) has starters I don't like. (Gen I: Charmander, Gen IV: Chimchar, Gen V: Tepig)

But... Gonna go with Gen VI, if it didn't exist, Gen IV would have been it.

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
Gen 3 for me. Swampert is my 2nd favorite Pokemon and I adore Blaziken. I also like Grovyle (It's one of the few times where I prefer a second evolution to the last one).

ebevan91

I think too many people are voting for Gen 6. We haven't seen their 2nd or 3rd stages, and we don't even know if they're going to have secondary typings, or what kind of move pools they're going to have.

Now if you're voting based on design, then that's fine.

BTW I voted on Gen 3. It was a toss-up between Gen 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Actually in all of them there are starters that I don't like.

I don't like:
- Bulbasaur
- Chikorita
- Torchik
- Turtwig, Piplup.
- Tepig, Oshawott
- Froakie, Chespin.

The starterts are actually getting worse.

But if I had to choose, I'd choose for generation one. Blastoise and Charizard are awesome.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I'd have to Gen 1, actually. They were all unique and creative and very popular.
Gen 2's starters never seem to get much attention.
Gen 4 definitely had the worst.
Gen 5's were cool, except Emboar.

coolminun

Banned
Definitely gen 3. Every last one of them evolve into great pokemon that can be played really well in the upper tiers. Heck even Blaziken made the leap to ubers and Swampert and Sceptile are still great. I'm also biased, because mudkip is my fave starter of all time. What can i say, I liek mudkipz XD