• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Ground Type?

SceptileFan

I AM RACCOON MAN
I recently started over on my FireRed (since I migrated basically all my Pokemon to my Diamond. hehe), and currently have a team of Wartortle, Pikachu, and Pidgey (soon to be Pidgeotto). I've already decided to use Arcanin for my team, and maybe Jynx/Exegutor/Alakazam/Vileplume for another member, but I'm struggling on the last member. It has to be at least a Ground type, because without one I can't handle electrics. Here are my options:

Golem:
PROS: Already caught a Geodude. Learns Rock and Ground moves.
CONS: Won't be able to evolve all the way.

Marowak:
PROS: Learns good Ground moves and would be able to catch one after my 3rd badge.
CONS: Doesn't learn Earthquake by level up, so I'd have to wait until I beat Giovanni to teach it to him.

Dugtrio:
PROS: Learns a lot of good Ground moves, and I'd be able to catch it before I fight Surge.

Rhydon:
PROS: Very powerful, and is both Rock and Ground.
CONS: Would not be able to catch it until I made it to Fuschia.

So what do you think? I'll accept other suggestions, but the Pokemon MUST be in the Kanto Pokedex.

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
Marowak holding Thick Club will have doubled att. A nice choice. (Also, u don't need Earthquake that bad, use Bonemerang is good too)

On the other hand, Rhydon is also awesome, with both insane att and def. But with poor spdef and 2 x4 weaknesses, it can be easily knocked out with 1 Water Gun.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
rhydon all the way
i have him, hes very good ;)

Use Dugtrio until you can get a Marowak.

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
You could catch a Nidoran after the first Badge so you could get a Nidoking :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Rhydon's always seemed like a Pokemon with a lot of power so normally I'd say Rhydon. However, I've recently used Nidoking in FireRed and it's so much more reliable than I would have thought. It's part Ground type so it's still immune to Electric moves, the only downside being that it's also a Poison type Pokemon. I found that it's Megahorn is super userful though, especially against Sabrina's Gym despite the obvious type disadvantage Nidoking would be put through and Earthquake is a move it can learn that does tons of damage. Anyway, I'd suggest giving Nidoking a shot.

Puzzler2

Random Person
Dugtrio and Rhydon are strong choices, but Nidoking is great too. Plus, you can get one pretty early on. Marowak is nice, but you can't get one till after the third Gym.

khakiman

Well, pokemon are of your choice, my choice would be either Rhydon, or half poison half ground Nidoking, I currenly have a nidoking on my team, and the reason I LOVE him is because he is diverse while using moves, like he can use water pulse etc.;034;

Bbran5

I have a Golem. You can't evolve your Graveler into one, but it will still be able to learn the same moves. Golem is good because it has very good Defense and high attack. Normal moves are not very effective against it. Earthquake and Rock Slide are two moves your Graveler should know. Graveler doesn't learn those moves through leveling up, but a move it does learn through leveling up is Explosion. Explosion is another reason why I like Graveler, as it does a lot of damage. Cons of Graveler are that it has low Speed and Special Defense. Graveler has a double weakness to Grass and Water type moves.

Nitro123 (PG)

Needs a user title
Rhydon. I use it all the time in In-Game teams in Firered. Just look at the HP, Atk, and Def stats. :D

Beebar234

Dugtrio. No cons, plus it's uber fast to deal with your rival's alakazam.

Dr. Empoleon

Steel Type Champion
I think Steelix is the best ground. But that is also because i love steel types!

Alder

Come at me bro
Never liked Dugtrio. Used it twice, jsut never saw the upside. Not a very diverse movepool.

Rhydon I've never had the patience for. I've been meaning to try it out, but I like it.

Graveler bothers me when it can't evolve.

Nidoking is the best imo. Diverse moovepool, strong all around, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Megahorn, Brick Break/Thrash/Mega Punch/other Physical move.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Dugtrio. It's fast, and the right one can take a few strong water attacks. I have one I use on PBR and it can take atleast three water attacks. You can get it fast and it'll hit hard. It learns earthquake by leveling up and it can learn a few cool moves of other types by TM.