• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Gym Leader Battle Theme?

Which of these regions had the best Gym Leader theme?

• Kanto

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Johto

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Unova

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Kalos

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Gym Leaders could be considered the bosses of the Pokémon games - we all have to fight them on our way to becoming the Champion. Appropriately, the battles come with orchestral music that fits the drama and adrenaline of the scene. As with every generation, the Gym Leader battle theme has changed each time.

Which is your favourite version of the Gym Leader theme? (You can choose more than one.)

Here's my favourites:

• Johto - This theme carries a lot of nostalgia - and annoying moments trying to beat Whitney, Morty and Clair. That Miltank... :mad:
  • Hoenn - Another nostalgic one. Trumpets, anyone? :D
  • Unova - The clashing drums at the beginning gets you into full battle mode. The best part of it is when the Gym Leader is down to their last Pokémon, and it ups the pace as you're nearing your victory... or the Gym Leader uses another potion.
And my least favourites:

• Sinnoh - Too repetitive; it never changes the beat or melody. I do like the sort of Hoenn-ish vibe from the trumpets, though.
  • Kalos - I barely remember this one. I don't think it changes much musically either.
(Since Alola doesn't have Gym Leaders, I haven't included it in this poll.)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Really love a lot of the music from Kanto and Johto.

The theme for Red/champion theme/Lance's theme

really good cover of that theme

champion theme from R, B and Y

Love the themes in general in R, B and Y.

all of them

And love the themes in Gold/Silver and Crystal

Gym Leader themes

Just really good music to keep you in the battles themselves. So well done. The pacing and the drama in the themes stand out.

The themes in later games are ok, but just aren't nearly as memorable to me for some reason.

Continued in a second post.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Closest I've found have been the battle themes from Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald versions.

There's some drama and passion in the themes here and it was nice to see again.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Hoenn hands down. It's super catchy, immediately starts out strong, never dwindles down for too long, and is just really epic in general.

Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are also the E4 themes which in my book gives them less points since they're less unique. Kanto's is good, but the other two are pretty bland imo.

Kalos takes WAY too long to get to the good part just like it's E4 theme. You'll more than likely already have beat the leader before it gets to the good bits.

Unova is just not memorable to me. I can't even recall what it sounds like.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Sinnoh, Unova (mainly the last Pokèmon theme), & Kalos. Each for a different reason:
Sinnoh’s is nostalgic and the first ~10 seconds where it plays with the Vs *insert Gym Leader* screen only makes that more nostalgic. Feels elegant yet fierce

Unova gives the sense of a powerful yet familiar threat. The main piece is pretty meh IMO but the final Pokèmon music feels like you’re at the climax of your match.

Kalos is definitely my favorite though. Feels upbeat and it’s the only one I can listen to in multiple loops without it getting repetitive. Too bad the Leaders who have this theme don’t match the vibe :(

Kanto is kind of cool but because it’s a classic. Johto and Hoenn are so dull. I do like B2W2’s PWT remix of Johto much more though

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Kanto is kind of cool but because it’s a classic. Johto and Hoenn are so dull.

I don't really remember Kanto's, but it does play in G/S/C and HG/SS when you're fighting the Kanto Gym Leaders as a nice nostalgic touch.

The main piece is pretty meh IMO but the final Pokèmon music feels like you’re at the climax of your match.

I wonder why Game Freak didn't keep the 'Gym Leader is at last Pokémon' music for future generations? It served as a good sign that you were edging closer to victory.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I wonder why Game Freak didn't keep the 'Gym Leader is at last Pokémon' music for future generations? It served as a good sign that you were edging closer to victory.
Maybe to keep it as an unique attribute of Gen V like the Low Health theme music

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Maybe to keep it as an unique attribute of Gen V like the Low Health theme music

It's pretty annoying when your Pokémon goes down to red health when the 'Gym Leader's last stand' music is playing, and it gets replaced with the Low Health music while you scramble around for that potion.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Unova for me. I loved the intense way the theme starts and it's really catchy as well.

The beginning kind of reminds me of a sports tournament starting, like a boxing or wrestling match.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I really like the Hoenn one, although I've never been a fan of its PWT remix. I also love the Unova one, especially the beginning. Overall, my ranking is: Hoenn>Unova>Kanto>Johto>Sinnoh>Kalos (don't like the last one at all).