• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Method of EV Training a Pokémon?

RPBaskett

What is the best method for EV training a level 1 IV perfect breeded Pokemon?

Please let me know and thanks!

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
BDSP lacks a method of quick EV training like PokeJobs or horde battles, so unfortunately your best bet is to grind them the old fashioned way; get a set of Power Items from the Battle Park, and then grind Pokemon who give certain EVs one at a time. Chaining is often the best way to do this as BDSP also lack routes that only give one kind of EV for most stats. You can also use the VS Seeker to rebattle trainers who only use Pokemon who give certain EVs. This guide is for DPPt but most if not all of these methods will still apply to BDSP.

It's also worth mentioning that the vitamin cap removal in Sw/Sh still applies to BDSP, so you can use vitamins to instantly EV train your Pokemon, but that is quite expensive and requires grinding money, so you're not really eliminating any grinding.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
I'd like to suggest lake valor for attack, bibarel can be found there at a 45% encounter rate at levels 34-36 and route 218 West for speed where floatzel can be found at a 35% at levels 28-30. Both give 2 points in their respective stat

RPBaskett

So vitamins are 10+ EVs each right? But if I have a bred Adamant Shinx at level 1 and I give it 20 Calcium, shouldn't it's sp.atk stat then reflect that change even at level 1?

KillerDraco

So vitamins are 10+ EVs each right? But if I have a bred Adamant Shinx at level 1 and I give it 20 Calcium, shouldn't it's sp.atk stat then reflect that change even at level 1?
Yes, a single Vitamin is +10 in the respective stat.

Keep in mind that at lower levels EVs have less influence, so you need higher amounts of EVs to get any stat increases. In the case you're describing, no amount of EVs can increase Shinx's special attack at level 1. Most stats won't increase at all at level 1 regardless of EVs. The 4 EVs = 1 Stat Point Increase specifically pertains to level 100.

You need to level up Pokemon to get the effect of EVs on a Pokemon's stats.

...That said using Calcium on a Pokemon with a -Special Attack nature is kind of a waste but that's another matter altogether.

RPBaskett

Yes, a single Vitamin is +10 in the respective stat.

Keep in mind that at lower levels EVs have less influence, so you need higher amounts of EVs to get any stat increases. In the case you're describing, no amount of EVs can increase Shinx's special attack at level 1. Most stats won't increase at all at level 1 regardless of EVs. The 4 EVs = 1 Stat Point Increase specifically pertains to level 100.

You need to level up Pokemon to get the effect of EVs on a Pokemon's stats.

...That said using Calcium on a Pokemon with a -Special Attack nature is kind of a waste but that's another matter altogether.
But if I want to use vitamins to EV train an Adamant Shinx from level 1 so that it has 252 Sp.Atk and 252 Speed would I not use as many Calcium and Carbos as I can right from level 1? I apologize if these are dumb questions I'm literally learning this as I go. I appreciate the knowledge though!

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
But if I want to use vitamins to EV train an Adamant Shinx from level 1 so that it has 252 Sp.Atk and 252 Speed would I not use as many Calcium and Carbos as I can right from level 1? I apologize if these are dumb questions I'm literally learning this as I go. I appreciate the knowledge though!
Shinx with an adamant nature should not have any special attacks or be EV trained for special attack since it has a special attack reducing nature. You’d want to invest into (physical) attack instead and have physical attacking moves.

RPBaskett

Shinx with an adamant nature should not have any special attacks or be EV trained for special attack since it has a special attack reducing nature. You’d want to invest into (physical) attack instead and have physical attacking moves.
Ah yeah my bad that's definitely what I meant I read my own chart wrong lol.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Disregarding the Sp. Atk vs Attack point, yes, you could do this. Draco's point was that you won't fully benefit from those EVs until higher levels though. In the end, that doesn't really matter as long as you intend to train it to level 100 anyways.

Shinjick

semi pro trainer
What is the best method for EV training a level 1 IV perfect breeded Pokemon?

Please let me know and thanks!
For the EV training I suggest just farming money with the vs recorder at either the two old people or the ace trainer double battle if you want to know the locations there are plenty of youtube videos on it, use the gold to buy your vitamins.

As for IV stats I personally prefer to use the fossil mons who always have at least 3 max IV stats then breed those stats onto a mon with two egg groups and repeat, getting a ditto might sound simpler but honestly getting good stats on a ditto in the remakes has it's own hassles too which is why I started my breeding chains from fossil mons day one.

ps

happy to send over some of my breeding rejects to get you started if you need em.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Regardless of stats, yes, when you apply those Effort Points is irrelevant to the end results, as long as you don't mistakenly battle for EXP prior to that and gain some unwanted points. If you give a Shinx 26 Proteins and 26 Carbos at Level 1, you'll see the points increase in Attack and Speed as you level up Shinx later.

As for EV-training the non-vitamin way, you'd best get the Power Items from the Battle Tower. The Power Bracer provides +8 Effort Points in Attack for each Pokémon defeated regardless of species, and the Power Anklet does the same but with Speed. If you give your Shinx a Power Bracer and you battle, say, a Machoke, who provides +2 Attack in Effort Points, you'll get 10 points in Attack with each Machoke you defeat (and hence you'll max out the Effort Value after 26 Machoke). The Poké Radar is your best bet in finding lots of the same Pokémon, though it works best if you have other Pokémon on your team of a high enough level to fight them.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
For the EV training I suggest just farming money with the vs recorder at either the two old people or the ace trainer double battle if you want to know the locations there are plenty of youtube videos on it, use the gold to buy your vitamins.

As for IV stats I personally prefer to use the fossil mons who always have at least 3 max IV stats then breed those stats onto a mon with two egg groups and repeat, getting a ditto might sound simpler but honestly getting good stats on a ditto in the remakes has it's own hassles too which is why I started my breeding chains from fossil mons day one.

ps

happy to send over some of my breeding rejects to get you started if you need em.
i second the idea of taking all the money from NPCs to fund your vitamins. unless you like to to BP gaining activies for the EV items, purchasing the vitamins saves ALOT of time when you dont have any ev boosting items. currently i cant bother to do much battle tower so vitamins and a few select battles do the trick.

RPBaskett

i second the idea of taking all the money from NPCs to fund your vitamins. unless you like to to BP gaining activies for the EV items, purchasing the vitamins saves ALOT of time when you dont have any ev boosting items. currently i cant bother to do much battle tower so vitamins and a few select battles do the trick.
So far I've hit 999,999 about 30 times.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
So far I've hit 999,999 about 30 times.
i think i might have hit 999,999 cumulatively as i tried to ev train 3 pokemon but dont often do it as it gets tedious after 6-8k steps. a bit here, a bit there works great.