• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Nintendo handheld console?

PokemonJesus123

The Pokémon Punk
From the Game & Watch to the Nintendo 2DS...

What, in your opinion, is the BEST Nintendo handheld video game console?
Be specific! Don't just say the GameBoy or DS...say what model/design you found awesome (e.g. GameBoy Light, Nintendo DSi XL, Regular Nintendo 3DS, etc.) and explain some pros and cons on why you choose it for a more fruitful and interesting discussion :D

GO!

arized

#hsb
My favorite has to be the GameBoy Micro. It came out in the same year as the DS so it was eclipsed rather swiftly.

It's rechargeable, has a back-lit screen, and is pocket-sized (smaller than most flip-phones, at the time). I used to play Pokemon with the unit in my pocket since you can bind the L button to function as the A button. I'd have my left hand in my pocket and I would grind the elite four during class in high school. :D

On the negative side, the battery only lasted around 4-6 hours (depending on screen brightness) and it could only play GBA games.

Pic: LC6YzYg.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite is definitely the Nintendo 3DS. The fairly compact size and weight is great, as it can fit into your pocket easily. The stereoscopic, no-glasses 3D feature is probably one of the coolest things that I've ever seen on a handheld, and an amazing breakthrough in handheld gaming, and gaming in general. The game selection is great -- with titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which recaptures the beauty of the first game and presents it to a whole new generation in stunning 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, the long-waited revival of a dead series, and Pokémon X and Y, the new generation games and the first ones released exclusively for the 3DS. The processing power is better than the Wii's processing power, and the graphics without 3D are wonderful.~

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
My personal favourites are the GBA SP and 3DS XL, they are both great!

The GBA had some brilliant games, and was my main console when growing up! The 3DS also hosts some brilliant games like KI: U and FE: A! They are the best consoles of all time IMHO!

Dreamy

I would have to say that the SP was my favorite, it had a rather compact and intuitive design for the time and began the trend of folding handheld consoles.

Pants64

Youngster Joey
3DS XL because the games look stunning in the screen, the console has great games and a wide variety of them, and was made better than the original 3ds.

pokemasterz

King of The Pirates
I really like the 3ds, but the good old gameboy advance sp is my all time favorite.

Shadow XD001

My personal favorite is the 3DS, followed by the GBA SP. Both have a lineup of great games that I enjoy a lot. Some of my favorite games are on the 3DS.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I'm gonna be the old school guy and go with the Gameboy Color! I remember when I was a kid and they came out. It was the hottest item in 2nd grade.

ForeverFlame

The SP had an amazing form factor, and the backlight was revolutionary at the time and completely changed how I played handheld games.

Solar Faber

Fox of the moon
my favorite is the GBA since it was my first gaming device but the best is the 3ds in my mind, it plays the newest games and runs the best ( since it is still the newest hand held line ) also i find the XL just a bit to big

Zivinolette

Livin' The Dream
My favorite is definitely the Nintendo 3DS. The fairly compact size and weight is great, as it can fit into your pocket easily. The stereoscopic, no-glasses 3D feature is probably one of the coolest things that I've ever seen on a handheld, and an amazing breakthrough in handheld gaming, and gaming in general. The game selection is great -- with titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which recaptures the beauty of the first game and presents it to a whole new generation in stunning 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, the long-waited revival of a dead series, and Pokémon X and Y, the new generation games and the first ones released exclusively for the 3DS. The processing power is better than the Wii's processing power, and the graphics without 3D are wonderful.~

Couldn't of said it better myself! I got my 3DS used (the red colored one) and its well worth the $$$! I keep my 3DS in a case that carry around basically everywhere with me, especially when I go to work and I have my lunch and break periods where I can sit and play. I get the concept with the 3DS XL, but I find it to be too big for my taste. Game selection is great and graphics are awesome and I like that I can access the Internet browser as well so I can look up info on games or just browse the Internet. Nintendo has come a long way and being a Nintendo handheld game holder since the GameBoy Color, I am more than pleased with the 3DS.

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
Just the hardware or in terms of overall game libraries?

GBA SP (backlit version) was the best in sheer portability. Yeah Micro's smaller but I just can't go back to scratched up screens, clamshell design is vital! Although the terrible shoulder buttons that stopped working after about a year was a big set back.

TheMewster

Pokémon Connoisseur
The FIRST and ORIGINAL GameBoy is where it's at! I'm a retro guy so yeah lol

Puma Italia

The 3DS XL because it is the most advanced obviously.

but other than that, I thought that the GBA SP was a great handheld. It had a great design, was a tank (like all Nintendo handhelds), and there were so many great games I remember playing on it.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
My personal favorite nintendo handheld is the DS phat (also known as the original DSmodel). it had a bettter lit screen than the GBA SP, it introduced a bunch of innovations not just for a handheld, but gaming in general, really the only thing i didnt like about it was that it couldnt play game boy or game boy color games, even though it could play GBA games. I know that when nintendo announced it, they planned for it to be a third pillar alongsde the game boy line and their home consoles, and not a succesor to the game boy advance, but when you have a GBA slot on the bottom of it, people wont be able to help but think of it as a successor and not as a compliment to the GBA.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
GBA: GBA SP was the best of it's series. Since then, it started the light screen generation for all handhelds to come.

DS: DS Lite was the best of it's series. Simply it was lighter than the phat DS. Plus it was more memorable of them all.

3DS: I don't know which one I like the most. I would say the reg 3DS since I own one and reminds me of the DS Lite. But the XL does look pretty good for it's bigger screen. Also it's special editions for the games(X/Y, Pikachu and New Leaf). So right now it's undecidable.

But I will definitely say XL if has a Smash Bros. bundle in the future.