1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Best part about the SUMO anime is...

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by FusionAesthetic, Jul 4, 2018.

1. FusionAesthetic

FusionAesthetic Sci Fi Trainer

Not even part of the SUMO anime. Well I mean I guess it is but that is assuming you technically call the recent movies part of it which I guess you can and should? I loved the last one and the new ones looks to be even better. It is colorful but doesn't seem so oof like the SUMO tv show. I love Ash's looks in the movies and it is just pretty to look at. I'm actually curious if they are going to pick one of the movie art styles for Gen 8. I'm also loving the more darker vibe it gives off. How would people like a series with this style? Like darker plot,art etc

Xuxuba likes this.
  2. No thanks mate

satopi, Trey pokes, lolipiece and 4 others like this.
  3. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

What even is “dark” to be honest?

I mean we had the Stoutland episode.

One of the main characters had PTSD from almost being kindapped by an alien into another dimension due to her neglectful mother.

And that’s just the surface. I think SM can get pretty “dark” when it feels like it.

Anyway M20 looked like BW to me, so I wouldn’t mind and M21 is not something I would like to see adapted.

4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Fiery Princess of Mars

The art style and Lillie are its best parts. I'm so glad that they got rid of the previous art style from BW/XY especially Ash's atrocious huge eyes. They looked so unnatural on him imo and I also felt that the BW/XY art style was inconsistent and characters sometimes looked off model.

satopi and FlygontheRavager like this.
  5. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

Movies are always going to look a lot better than a series that has to produce a new episode every week. They simply have more time to animate everything and polish stuff for the movies.

6. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Lets not forget the Minior episode, where it a whole group of pokemon died and their remains were eaten by Rayquaza. (Dragon god has gotta eat!)

Zoruagible likes this.
  7. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I did enjoy the AU concept, although i am not all that pleased with some decisions regarding the script.

Hope they keep doing things like that in the future.

8. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

I somehow find the scene hilarious despite the emotional vibe, especially with the Thanos snap reference people like to use on it.

Zhydra likes this.
  9. FusionAesthetic

My issue with SUMO whenever they try to go dark is that with it being a comedy series it just feels so out of place. If this was past pokemon series even BW it would fit but they are so happy go lucky in SUMO that whenever it gets dark or serious it feels so fake and weird. As soon as they randomly started dancing in that Ultra World/space whatever I was just done and shut the tv off and walked off.

10. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko The Power of Kawaii-ification

Ugh, and I had gotten my hopes up when I saw the title that the opening post was going to be saying something positive about SUMO. Stupid me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I like best about the SUMO anime is that it's a lot different from the usual traveling formula. And not to mention that as a huge fan of "Pokemon High School", I quite like that this anime has a school setting. ^^

11. FusionAesthetic

I mean I'd be ok with a school setting if it was done differently I went into SUMO having hopes of a Pokemon version of Yugioh GX but instead got some badly drawn comedy show. Thinking about it having Pokemon GX could have been really fun and different and let Ash focus on his goal in a new way.

Like have a different school on each island and they meet up at times for tournaments. The Ula Ula island school could be influenced by rebels and bad kids due too Team Skull,Poni artsy etc Keep comedy in it but not so over the top like it is in SUMO. Bring back old characters for guest speakers. I feel just feel SUMO could have been good if they did not get all whacky with it. Maybe they thought it would be a good idea and maybe Japan wants something different than most english viewers. I'm sure the culture barrier is a big thing. That and Pokemon is in an odd place. I think GF is learning more teens and adults are into Pokemon over little kids. I mean sure kids play and like it. With that said I have only seen teens and adults play unless it's like Worlds and kids paly the tcg or just watch the anime at times. Think is Pokemon could transition into being more 13+ or just 10+ and work if done well. I don't want a gory gory mature pokemon and imo gory and bloody doesn't equal mature

12. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shows are allowed to have depth, you know. Just because it's somewhat more comedy-focused doesn't mean it's not allowed to get serious when it wants to. Lots of shows do this.

When SM wants to be silly, it does so. When it wants to be actiony, it does so. When it wants to be serious and even dark, it goes into some surprising territory that not even other series have gone to.

How and why? Please explain.

That scene was literally a couple of seconds long. In a 20-something minute episode. Honestly, if a slight amount of silliness makes you go away, then I'm surprised you even lasted this long to begin with.

13. Can you at least change the clickbait title? There are going to be people coming here thinking you're asking what they like about Sun and Moon >.>

satopi, Dragalge, AznKei and 2 others like this.
  14. FusionAesthetic

Technically it is not click bait since the movies are technically part of SUMO while not being part of them I guess too but I mean when people think back to SUMO movies they will come to mind I hope.

15. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Probably from Minior. "Mr Poipole, I don't feel so good, please go back to your huma-" Turns to dust!

Rayquaza showing up makes it even more funny if you are into that sort of humor.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  16. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't enjoy the previous SM movie (if we can even call it that, given that it had hardly anything to do with the SM anime), and the upcoming movie doesn't seem much better. However, I will admit that the bright colors and animation style are impressive.

17. FusionAesthetic

TBH it could be argued none of the movies have much to do with the series

18. The drama and serious moments of the show are enhanced by the comedy and slice-of-life. It's in no way "fake" or "forced".

It's during those light-hearted moments of levity that you actually become attached to the characters and the setting. When those characters then have something bad happen to them, you really feel for them. When characters are suffering and things seem bleak, remembering those happier, simpler times really highlights that suffering and how much has changed.

If everything was monotone, those serious moments lose their impact. This is why a "dark" Pokemon would never work, and why you actually need variety in tone and even genre to keep things fresh and interesting.

19. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Except that Mewtwo, Lugia, the AG/DP movies, and Genesect are all very much canon

20. FusionAesthetic

How are AG movies canon? Mewtwo,Lugia,DP and Genesect I get but not AG

I think we mean dark in two different ways. I mean dark as not serious 24/7 but at the same time a more serious vibe which I feel DP and XY did well. Having anything dark 24/7 would be a bit much lol so I'm not saying that