• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best part about the SUMO anime is...

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
How are AG movies canon? Mewtwo,Lugia,DP and Genesect I get but not AG

I think we mean dark in two different ways. I mean dark as not serious 24/7 but at the same time a more serious vibe which I feel DP and XY did well. Having anything dark 24/7 would be a bit much lol so I'm not saying that
lucario's is definitely canon (ash displayed his aura abilities in the riolu 2-parter), not sure about jirachi, I think drew's hometown is confirmed to be the city from destiny deoxys, not sure about manaphy either

Slapstick-Olivia

Their is a lot things I love about Sun & Moon:

- The lighthearted tone
- the lovable characters
- The funny slapstick moments
- The family bounding
- The unique human character designs
- Each human character has got his/her own personality
- the art style
- the fluid animation
- that every episodes delivery something new to the table

FusionAesthetic

Sci Fi Trainer
Their is a lot things I love about Sun & Moon:

- The lighthearted tone
- the lovable characters
- The funny slapstick moments
- The family bounding
- The unique human character designs
- Each human character has got his/her own personality
- the art style
- the fluid animation
- that every episodes delivery something new to the table

Everyone says fluid animation but I don't really see.

Note I want to like SUMO so I'm not trying to bash it

Slapstick-Olivia

Trust me. SM has got great animation especially comparing to the OS, AG and also DP. The animation only really got very good with X&Y and has improve since than.

Slapstick-Olivia

I miss the 3d/Cgi backgrounds from XY

Why? I understand, that every one has a different taste in terms of art and animation, but you should really tell us your own reasons why you like certain things. It would be better. Otherwise it seems like you only want to find yourself reasons to dislike S&M even more just because it is not X&Y.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The atmosphere. It's so lively and bouncy and that's something that's been missing since OS.

Kaye Cruiser

The best part about the SM anime is Ash having an active father figure that truly understands him.

An active father figure AND a better mother who he can hang out and connect with as well.

Ash's relationship with Kukui and Burnet is the one thing I actually really like about SM despite not liking the anime all that much at all.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I like that there's barely any COTD. Characters like the Market Lady, Olu Olu, and, in today's episode, evil Hotel Guy (ik his actual name. Joke) make appearances in later episodes. Their contribution varies, but it does a lot for world building. The Kukui and Burnet wedding episode is the best example of this.

The cast, while cool, is kind of hit and miss for me. However, the 3 of Ash's friends (Kiawe, Sophocles, and Mallow) are some of my favorites. Kiawe is my favorite in all of SM. He's a determined hard worker who puts a lot of energy into whatever he's doing. Sophocles has his geeky charm. Mallow, while criminally underused, has always made me smile or laugh. She's the nice girl with a hint of sassy sarcasm. Lillie and Lana? Meh, boring.

But my favorite thing is how Ash's & his Pokémon are actually free. Ironic that the series with the least amount of traveling has Ash's team out the most. When he's at Kukui's, I get such a good vibe. Ash actually acts like a 10 year old.

DatsRight

The cast are cool, the only problem is that in terms of 'offbeat plots' they tend to go mostly to Ash and Team Rocket. It's a shame there's a really neat variety in stories and roles due to the standstill format this series, but generally only those select characters are allowed to be immersed in them that regularly (eg. the Passimian disguise episode, the masked wrestling episode, the supposed upcoming shrinking episode) while the others tend to be a greek chorus too often.

I mean come on, their archetypes are good for it, Lana as a masked wrestler could be awesome, while Kiawe's ego dented by being shrunk could be hilarious. I mean Ash nearly always does them well of course, he feels like a versatile protagonist at last, but it doesn't have to be just him.

This is still an improvement over most previous non-Kanto/BW series however, where NO ONE did versatile stories without Team Rocket gatecrashing the party and making it formula again.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kaye Cruiser said:
Ash's relationship with Kukui and Burnet is the one thing I actually really like about SM despite not liking the anime all that much at all.

I'd be much more invested in their bond with each other if it wasn't practically guaranteed that we'd never see Kukui-hakase and Burnet-hakase again once SM ends. I do enjoy seeing Satoshi staying at Kukui's place however since he's never spent so much time in one place before.

FusionAesthetic

Sci Fi Trainer
Why? I understand, that every one has a different taste in terms of art and animation, but you should really tell us your own reasons why you like certain things. It would be better. Otherwise it seems like you only want to find yourself reasons to dislike S&M even more just because it is not X&Y.

It just felt more action to me. I mean I guess my favorite aspects are the travelling and battles and it seems travelling is gone or at the very least not big and from what I understand battling is not that big in this series.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I'd be much more invested in their bond with each other if it wasn't practically guaranteed that we'd never see Kukui-hakase and Burnet-hakase again once SM ends. I do enjoy seeing Satoshi staying at Kukui's place however since he's never spent so much time in one place before.
You can say that for practically every character but Ash and Pikachu.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I noticed that Ash & the classmates introduce themselves less often in SM than in XY, like "Hi, I'm Ash from Pallet town and this is my friend Pikachu. Pikachu!", on most COTD in Kalos. To the extent that James knew that line by heart when he disguised as Ash.

Last edited:

cmarston1

Animation Enthusiast
I am not the biggest fan of the Sun Moon anime, and my feelings on it have changed a bit over time, but there are things about it that I do like.
For starters Lillie, who is my favorite character from this saga.
I also enjoy that Team Rocket isn't in every episode, and that even when they do appear, for the most part they aren't too bad. Not the biggest fan of them in general, but I feel that SM has done a decent job at handling them.
The fluidity of the animation is also a plus as it can lead to some pretty entertaining battles, such as Ash vs Misty, which is one of my favorite battles in all of the anime. However I wish there were more battles in the saga, because I feel like it isn't fully being taking advantage of.
Lastly I just enjoy the atmosphere that comes from the Alola region whether it be in the games or the anime.