• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best place to post fanfiction?

indigestible_wad

In my opinion, writing a fic that people enjoy and putting it up IS a service to the community, and I'm sure most reviewers would rather you posted that fic they enjoy and don't review rather than not come at all because of time constraints.
Yes, I can see your point, but if people never read it, then how are they going to like it? If you get people to review, then some may start to like it and keep reading and reviewing. Saying that you don't want people to do it just because they're not being nudged into it is sort of selfish thinking. A more apropriate answer would be because you're shy, but I know that you're not shy.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
GoGoTenda said:
Yes, I know there is a reviewer thread. However, I don't see any reason why I should have to ask people to read/review my fic. I want people to be wholeheartedly interested in my fic and not just doing it because they feel 'obligated'. If you have to panhandle reviews to be respected...isn't that a wee bit backwards? I understand that I could find reviews if I wanted to, but I'd much rather have people find me because of the story.

Okay, you say you don't want to ask people to review, yet no one is reviewing anyway; maybe that says something about the quality of the story. Reviews are only a mark of respect because it's generally acccepted that 'the better the story, the more reviews'. If no one wants to read your story, don't blame them. Maybe there's something lacking; maybe you haven't put out enough publicity. Don't complain about it; do something.

The reviewer thread isn't a matter of obligation, nor is it a matter of getting reviews for the sake of reviews. It's a list of people willing to review to help you improve. Asking for reviews shouldn't be - and as far as I'm concerned, never has been - a way of 'getting respect'; it's a way of getting some honest feedback when you're lacking.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Reviews are only a mark of respect because it's generally acccepted that 'the better the story, the more reviews'.
*shakes head* If only that were true. It would make searching for good 'fics a lot easier. Fact is, people have different styles about how they go about getting reviews. People without connections, let's face it, tend to get bumped from the front page pretty quickly. There are those who don't have the time on the internet to establish a community of people willing to read and review their 'fic, or do not choose to, as GoGoTenda mentioned. Like it or not, general popularity with other members of the forum influences your review count.

Personally, I'm with him in general. I don't mind asking for reviews from people whom I know are going to give me good feedback and will probably help me improve; I have PM'd people to review based upon reviews that they have given others, namely those that I liked or thought were thorough. However, I'm not going to go flipping through the Reviewer thread and tossing PM's every which way in the interest of getting a wider reader base. I am also of the opinion that, if my 'fic cannot stand on its own and get reviewers without me having to beg for them, then clearly something is wrong with it that I need to address.

Dragonfree

Just me
Generally, the worst get the most reviews for the first chapters, because there is a certain group of people (mods and the known 'newbie reviewers') who flock to any thread with spelling errors in the title or that are rated one star. However, their job is done as soon as the author is not breaking any rules anymore and getting a bit better. They never become regular reviewers; they're just there to push you a bit ahead. To get real readers, you need to be good enough for the readers who read stuff for entertainment to like you, and be patient.

Yes, the fact is that a forum like this has threads go down to the second page very quickly. However, the fact is also that the number of readers who stumble upon your fic, if it is good enough to get regular reviewers at all, is in direct relation to the time it has been around and the time it has had on the first page. Maybe I get more reviews for being a mod or whatever (I never tell or ask anybody to read or review my fic, at least, and I don't talk regularly with anybody from here, so it's not any consciously-made "connections"), but the main reason I have a lot of regular reviewers is simply that the thread is 29 chapters in and has been around since April 2004. That's more than 19 months of potential stumbling and probably more than 40 (thanks to the extras and late reviewers) bumps to the front page. Really, GoGoTenda, you honestly can't complain that you're not getting readers because you're not well known if your thread is three months old. You haven't had any time to become well known. Somebody will read your fic eventually, bump it to the front page, somebody else will notice it then, bump it again, and before you know it you'll have a fanbase. It's not the forums' fault, period. You're just being too impatient.

It might also, just as a tip, be driving potential readers away how fast you update, because some people have a hard time catching up with something that's already fifteen chapters in.

Last edited:

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
No, but does your using it strike you? No offence, of course. My advice is to stick to the matter at hand.
Well, you began this tangent by saying something offhand about Renegade, and I just was struck by the fact that you would use that phrase whilst denying all the rumours surrounding yourself. But fine, on topic for the whole post from now on...

I think you misunderstood. What I mean is that lack of time is not an excuse not to review. It really just is not. Unless you do not have the internet at home or something, time is a commodity which can be spared especially when we all take hours to write anything.
What a convincing argument. 'It just really is no'. Wow, that's up there with 'I'm just right, okay?’ So where do you take the time from? You could slow your writing down to a trickle, I suppose, cutting time from that. But then the reviewers complain, at least if it’s a popular fic, notice however, they don't complain if you don't return their reviews? This seems to show where their prorities lie.

Yes, I can see your point, but if people never read it, then how are they going to like it? If you get people to review, then some may start to like it and keep reading and reviewing. Saying that you don't want people to do it just because they're not being nudged into it is sort of selfish thinking. A more apropriate answer would be because you're shy, but I know that you're not shy.
I wasn't actually talking about myself; I do review people who review me, and lots that don't as well :p Anyway, I think you might be getting what i was saying mixed up with somebody else. All I was saying is that some people only have the time to write (and I'm talking specifically about enjoyed authors here) and that as people are asking them to write, then they should write, even if they can't review their reviewers and other people themselves.

You see, therein lies the problem. When is it "whenever possible"?
Whenever possible is whenever you have the time to spare, bearing in mind work, eating, bathing, and other activities humans engage in. It is hardly a shocking concept.

Why would helping another the same way everyone would want to be helped when put in that situation be a waste of time?
I never implied that, I'm afraid. It isn't a waste of time, but if you really get 50 replies a Chapter or something, and you have a busy life, you might simply be unable to review them all. I don't even feel that there's a duty for you too, or I'd be annoyed at the huge volumes of people who have failed to review me back, including yourself. The hypocrisy obviously does not lie solely with Renegade. In fact, you're double hypocritical for accusing somebody else of being hypocritical and not reviewing me back :p

Stop being so defensive.
OMG! You strayed from the topic! I didn't realize I was being defensive; I was just trying to phrase things as formally as possible so I wasn't misunderstood. I was anyway, twice XD

That said, I suddenly have this feeling that I have been made out to be of those who want to hammer the "uber authors".
Not really, just a pretentious person that demands everybody to subscribe to his view of reviewing, and uses 'End of story' after every point he makes. In terms of reviewers at least, I'd say you were an 'Uber author'.

To sum up my views, I think that if you have time to write but not enough time to do much reviewing as well, you should still write, especially if loads of people enjoy your fic. You aren't obligated to review those that review you, but its a nice thing to do to help them out if you have the time. I pretty much always do this myself.* I suppose that, in general at least, I pretty much agree with Dragonfree, and Iceking too.

*Exceptoions to this rule are when people leave crappy reviews, and then take longer than the actual review (which doesn't show that they actually read the fic) asking me to review them back.

M

mindripper

and I just was struck by the fact that you would use that phrase whilst denying all the rumours surrounding yourself. But fine, on topic for the whole post from now on...

My my, gossipmongers are we not? Right, on topic.

What a convincing argument. 'It just really is no'. Wow, that's up there with 'I'm just right, okay?’ So where do you take the time from? You could slow your writing down to a trickle, I suppose, cutting time from that. But then the reviewers complain, at least if it’s a popular fic, notice however, they don't complain if you don't return their reviews? This seems to show where their prorities lie.

Extremely gripping rebuttal. No one asks for a sacrifice of one aspect for the fulfillment of another. Saying that increased reviewing, and we are only talking about slight increases, like perhaps an extra two reviews a week is equivalent to "slowing down writing to a trickle" is just dramatising your point. It is not a one for one exchange.

Whenever possible is whenever you have the time to spare, bearing in mind work, eating, bathing, and other activities humans engage in. It is hardly a shocking concept.

Thanks for further explaining my point. Whenever possible just means that. Shocking that too many people fail to grasp that.

I never implied that, I'm afraid. It isn't a waste of time, but if you really get 50 replies a Chapter or something, and you have a busy life, you might simply be unable to review them all. I don't even feel that there's a duty for you too, or I'd be annoyed at the huge volumes of people who have failed to review me back, including yourself. The hypocrisy obviously does not lie solely with Renegade. In fact, you're double hypocritical for accusing somebody else of being hypocritical and not reviewing me back :p

You do not have anything for me to review in return. In my previous contact with you, I already promised a review for "clinic" or whatever horror one-shot you wanted to come up with, something which I have not forgotten about, and something which I hope you have not forgotten about either. Funny how people have selective memories at times, but since I myself am guilty, meh. Just think about the issues at hand first before being quick with conclusions.

Not really, just a pretentious person that demands everybody to subscribe to his view of reviewing, and uses 'End of story' after every point he makes. In terms of reviewers at least, I'd say you were an 'Uber author'.

Of course, fromwhat you have said previously, opinions are accepted in any form. I say "should", and I refer to what I feel can solve the current situation. Listen or not, your choice. What exactly did I voice? My opinions, end of story. You really have a bone to pick with that? Perhaps on the topic of "pretentious" people, we could discuss the notion of you wanting to rebutt Zerodius but then not intending at all for him to read your reply. Totally unpretentious, right there.

Yup, I get reviews. I am not going to feel guilty about that, and I review for others frequently enough. "Uber authors", the way I interpret it, are those who have an elitist view. Perhaps your viewpoint would be more justified if I did not review for people. I have fics on my hands which I WILL review, but chaptered fics take a long time. Ledian_X's fic is one I have been reading, as are several others, inclusing Zerodius', and I assure them they will get their reviews. So unless you are intending to define "uber authors" by your own definition, try a different tune.

To sum up my views, I think that if you have time to write but not enough time to do much reviewing as well, you should still write, especially if loads of people enjoy your fic. You aren't obligated to review those that review you, but its a nice thing to do to help them out if you have the time. I pretty much always do this myself

I never singled out anybody, and neither did GogoTenda or anybody else on this thread. That, right there, says that people do not actually differ so much in opinions. I do not impose the need to review for other, especially newer, authors, even though I believe it is a practice that should occur more often than current situations would have it. What I posted were my opinions, which when you read a little more carefully, just encourages people to be a little nicer at times. Not obligational, but a good thing to do nonetheless. Reviewing does not take too much time, and people appreciate reviews. Perhaps a little more time can be taken in this aspect. It is not a situation which demands sacrificing one's own work, but a situation which basically demands people to be nicer to the authors who need it.

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
Extremely gripping rebuttal. No one asks for a sacrifice of one aspect for the fulfillment of another. Saying that increased reviewing, and we are only talking about slight increases, like perhaps an extra two reviews a week is equivalent to "slowing down writing to a trickle" is just dramatising your point. It is not a one for one exchange.
Fair enough, but you said before that if you didn't return all your reviews, you might as well not write. Much more than two, for lots of people. and you must sacrifice something from your schedule to spend more time reviewing, even if it isn't writing. For me, it takes at least five minues for a review, and I've taken over thirty minutes once.

Thanks for further explaining my point. Whenever possible just means that. Shocking that too many people fail to grasp that.
But that's not what you said, at least not at first. You said you shouldn't write unless you returned reviews. Its quite a shift in viewpoint to then relagate your stance to 'whenever possible', which was pretty much mine from the start.

You do not have anything for me to review in return. In my previous contact with you, I already promised a review for "clinic" or whatever horror one-shot you wanted to come up with, something which I have not forgotten about, and something which I hope you have not forgotten about either. Funny how people have selective memories at times, but since I myself am guilty, meh. Just think about the issues at hand first before being quick with conclusions.
Actually, I had several chapters of ITF, but perhaps your selective memory bleeped them out. And I remember perfectly well what you said, Ripper.

You really have a bone to pick with that? Perhaps on the topic of "pretentious" people, we could discuss the notion of you wanting to rebutt Zerodius but then not intending at all for him to read your reply. Totally unpretentious, right there
Not nearly in your league, but you could take it that way. I did intend for him to read my reply, I just said nobody was forcing him to take any notice, and that he hada right to an opinion, however invalid I thought it was.

Yup, I get reviews. I am not going to feel guilty about that, and I review for others frequently enough. "Uber authors", the way I interpret it, are those who have an elitist view. Perhaps your viewpoint would be more justified if I did not review for people. I have fics on my hands which I WILL review, but chaptered fics take a long time. Ledian_X's fic is one I have been reading, as are several others, inclusing Zerodius', and I assure them they will get their reviews. So unless you are intending to define "uber authors" by your own definition, try a different tune.
I was actually just trying to say that you didn't seem to be picking at the popular (in terms of reviews) authors, seeing as you wrere one yourself. I didn't realise that was your definition of the term at all.

I never singled out anybody, and neither did GogoTenda or anybody else on this thread. That, right there, says that people do not actually differ so much in opinions. I do not impose the need to review for other, especially newer, authors, even though I believe it is a practice that should occur more often than current situations would have it. What I posted were my opinions, which when you read a little more carefully, just encourages people to be a little nicer at times. Not obligational, but a good thing to do nonetheless. Reviewing does not take too much time, and people appreciate reviews. Perhaps a little more time can be taken in this aspect. It is not a situation which demands sacrificing one's own work, but a situation which basically demands people to be nicer to the authors who need it.
Perfectly valid viewpoint, and more or less I'm inclined to agree; it was pretty much my stance anyway. But it wasn't the message you gave across earlier at all.

M

mindripper

Fair enough, but you said before that if you didn't return all your reviews, you might as well not write. Much more than two, for lots of people. and you must sacrifice something from your schedule to spend more time reviewing, even if it isn't writing. For me, it takes at least five minues for a review, and I've taken over thirty minutes once.

Mindripper said:
The correct phrasing should be "if you can spare the time to write but cannot spare the time to review, then don't bother writing at all". Perhaps it sounds harsh and exaggerated, but this applies to everyone, and I am not targeting you with that. It applies to me as well.

Mindripper said:
It is not a one for one exchange.

Two quotes from what I have said. What I said was that if someone can spend hours on writing, as I am sure you all do, then perhaps ten minutes here, and perhaps even half an hour there sometimes is not a huge sacrifice, and does not hinder the writing. Saying you do not review because you have no time, and yet being able to spend hours on a fiction is a poor excuse. Again, my opinions. I fail to see where I explicitly demanded authors to review, beyond voicing my thoughts that they "should" review. Of course, any help an other gives you should be repaid, and is that not what I said earlier? It is not so much a must, but a pointing to the fact that thinking reviews are what an author deserves, with no obligation whatsoever to repay the reviewer when possible is elitist. People sing different tunes when they are on top compared to when they are below.

But that's not what you said, at least not at first. You said you shouldn't write unless you returned reviews. Its quite a shift in viewpoint to then relagate your stance to 'whenever possible', which was pretty much mine from the start.

Perhaps you could quote my demanding authors to review and enlighten me. Saying someone "should" review is a matter of opinion, as is what I have made clear previously, and is very different from what you are insinuating. Perhaps you fail to realise that I had the stance as well, with more emphasis on an idealistic situation. Another matter for another day.

Actually, I had several chapters of ITF, but perhaps your selective memory bleeped them out. And I remember perfectly well what you said, Ripper.

I have reviewed it before. T&T also has had new chapters. You have reviewed my prologue, and came up with one questioning comment on my latest fic, the latter not counting as a review per se. My selective memory, as deferred upon myself by you, fails to grip whether your next work will be a chaptered fic or not, and in my book I am already going to review that, just like I am going to review for Ledian_X, Zerodius and others. Your review is already as good as given, unless you choose to question the validity of my point, and my personal integrity. Or perhaps you assumed prematurely that I would suffer from selective memory again? The point is that you began this prattle with an accusation. Either back it up, perhaps by harping on my "selective memory", or by questioning my honesty, or stop flogging a dead horse. Does no one any good, yourself included.

Not nearly in your league, but you could take it that way. I did intend for him to read my reply, I just said nobody was forcing him to take any notice, and that he hada right to an opinion, however invalid I thought it was.

So a comment is made, but everything is fine just because no one forced Zerodius to take any notice, and because you thought it was invalid. If you did not want Zerodius to take notice,and do not bother if he does, then why reply? Why not keep the opinion to yourself and avoid a potential debate with him? Of course, the invalidity that you place upon your comments makes everything alright. Compared to my comments and my willingness to have Renegade hit out in whatever way she wants to, I would say you overestimate me. You are a cut above me. However, let us move on, unless you want to continue with this instead of your more pressing debates.

I was actually just trying to say that you didn't seem to be picking at the popular (in terms of reviews) authors, seeing as you wrere one yourself. I didn't realise that was your definition of the term at all.

Mindripper said:
I think what he also meant about "the uber authors" is that some people do deem it below themselves to review, or seem to give off that particular vibe.

I cannot personally say I care much about whether I am labelled as a "popular author" or not, because the main thing for me is I write, I review, hope people review for me, try to improve, and try to help others improve. Of course, my definition was posted for all to see, something which you have clearly missed. Which leads me to question how much you actually missed, and how valid that makes your opinions, or otherwise. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, of course.

Perfectly valid viewpoint, and more or less I'm inclined to agree; it was pretty much my stance anyway. But it wasn't the message you gave across earlier at all.

Nope, it was the message you refused to accept, seeing only the supposed impositions and the way I supposedly wanted to deem it necessary for authors to review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
Two quotes from what I have said. What I said was that if someone can spend hours on writing, as I am sure you all do, then perhaps ten minutes here, and perhaps even half an hour there sometimes is not a huge sacrifice, and does not hinder the writing. Saying you do not review because you have no time, and yet being able to spend hours on a fiction is a poor excuse. Again, my opinions. I fail to see where I explicitly demanded authors to review, beyond voicing my thoughts that they "should" review.
See I thought "if you can spare the time to write but cannot spare the time to review, then don't bother writing at all". Meant that you shouldn't write unless you could reply to all you reviews. And that's still what it looks like to me. It sounds like a demand when you put 'End of story' at the end, Ripper.

I have reviewed it before. T&T also has had new chapters. You have reviewed my prologue, and came up with one questioning comment on my latest fic, the latter not counting as a review per se. My selective memory, as deferred upon myself by you, fails to grip whether your next work will be a chaptered fic or not, and in my book I am already going to review that, just like I am going to review for Ledian_X, Zerodius and others. Your review is already as good as given, unless you choose to question the validity of my point, and my personal integrity. Or perhaps you assumed prematurely that I would suffer from selective memory again? The point is that you began this prattle with an accusation. Either back it up, perhaps by harping on my "selective memory", or by questioning my honesty, or stop flogging a dead horse. Does no one any good, yourself included.
You reviewed ITF less times than I reviewed T&T :p I would also mention that since then I have reviewed 'No Man Is An Island' far more thorougfhly than lots of your other reviewers. That alone proves you are wrong. And hypocritical.

So a comment is made, but everything is fine just because no one forced Zerodius to take any notice, and because you thought it was invalid. If you did not want Zerodius to take notice,and do not bother if he does, then why reply? Why not keep the opinion to yourself and avoid a potential debate with him? Of course, the invalidity that you place upon your comments makes everything alright. Compared to my comments and my willingness to have Renegade hit out in whatever way she wants to, I would say you overestimate me. You are a cut above me. However, let us move on, unless you want to continue with this instead of your more pressing debates.
You are either being purposefully dense, or you are just incredibly stupid. Which is it, Ripper? It was clear I was saying that however invalid I thought his point, he had a right to it.

I cannot personally say I care much about whether I am labelled as a "popular author" or not, because the main thing for me is I write, I review, hope people review for me, try to improve, and try to help others improve. Of course, my definition was posted for all to see, something which you have clearly missed. Which leads me to question how much you actually missed, and how valid that makes your opinions, or otherwise. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, of course.
Yeah, I missed it the first time around. It wasn't relevant at the time I read it, so I forgot. Popular strictly in the review sense, Ripper. And that does matter, because as I'd already said, I thought you were a member of the 'Uber author' group because you got so many reviews (admittedly by gross breach of courtesy of rules in many occasions), so I would not think you were a basher of the group.

That said, I suddenly have this feeling that I have been made out to be of those who want to hammer the "uber authors".

I was just saying that ^ was not true in my opinion.

Nope, it was the message you refused to accept, seeing only the supposed impositions and the way I supposedly wanted to deem it necessary for authors to review.
I didn't refuse to accept it, I simply took what you said literally. As it was what made me disagree with you, it did stick in the mind more than anything else. I found your post confusing, but I often do, so I thought nothing of it. The way you phrase things often makes me go 'WTF?' possibly because of comments like:

"if you can spare the time to write but cannot spare the time to review, then don't bother writing at all".
I take co,mments like those literally, and take that to be your viewpoint. Perhaps the reason I failed to understand your position is because you make comments that sound like they summarise you view, and I see the rest of your post in that context >>

From what you're saying, I take it your view isn't that far from my own?

M

mindripper

See I thought "if you can spare the time to write but cannot spare the time to review, then don't bother writing at all". Meant that you shouldn't write unless you could reply to all you reviews. And that's still what it looks like to me. It sounds like a demand when you put 'End of story' at the end, Ripper.

I have already told you what it is. Either accept it or not. notice that I did say an increased number of reviews, to the tune of a couple each week. An extra two reviews per week is still reviewing, and if you cannot even spare that time out of your writing, then why bother writing, especially if your writing is partially to garner reviews which you do not intend to return, reviews which others have the COURTESY to extend. Writing a fiction and claiming to not have time to review is a poor excuse. What you choose to interpret is your problem, not mine. However, do not misquote me, as I fail to see myself adding the end of story part to abovementioned quote. Of course, if you feel the need to misinterpret, then go ahead. I promise to try and not take notice.

I would also mention that since then I have reviewed 'No Man Is An Island' far more thorougfhly than lots of your other reviewers.

You reviewed "A Dish Best Served Cold." Unless you count a direct reply to one of my posts questioning me as a review for my fic. As I said, your review is as soon as your work is posted. I have upheld my end. I review for those who review for me. I have already told you what I will review, and you do seem to remember that. I fail to understand which part of that you fail to understand. Stop whining, and clutching at straws.

You are either being purposefully dense, or you are just incredibly stupid. Which is it, Ripper? It was clear I was saying that however invalid I thought his point, he had a right to it.

EC said:
and that he hada right to an opinion, however invalid I thought it was

Yup, your quote right there. So he had an invalid notion. Even though it was invalid, and thus of no value to you, you had to point out that there was a possibility that he plain sucked. A reply to an invalid notion is an invalid reply, like the notion of fire being dangerous, and that the concept of playing with fire is by default dangerous. Your reply is by default invalid, as it deals with an invalid notion. How is "invalid" defined? "Falsely based or reasoned".

which he is not obliged to read or take notice of

Of course, there is also that. Why bother replying to an invalid notion, thus making the whole discussion invalid, including your brilliant replies, and state that he is not obliged to read it? If someone flames you on your thread, your fic, and says that you are not obliged to take notice or to read it, logic dictates that you deem it pretty illogical, right? Exactly what I was pointing out. Why point out something To Zerodius when his point is invalid, and when the point is not made for him to take notice of? You either do not understand English, or perhaps I should s-p-e-l-l it out slowly.

Yeah, I missed it the first time around. It wasn't relevant at the time I read it, so I forgot. Popular strictly in the review sense, Ripper. And that does matter, because as I'd already said, I thought you were a member of the 'Uber author' group because you got so many reviews (admittedly by gross breach of courtesy of rules in many occasions), so I would not think you were a basher of the group.

Of course you forgot. I tell you what. Why not take a trip down to my thread, take a look at whoever reviewed, and ask them whether I breached any rules? Of course, contact them on your own behalf, and avoid spamming my thread. What you think and what you think you know is pretty irrelevant to me. try not to overestimate yourself in my eyes.

I didn't refuse to accept it, I simply took what you said literally.

So, would someone blame Tolkien for being difficult to interpret, or would someone blame the reader for not looking hard enough?

I take co,mments like those literally, and take that to be your viewpoint

That comment is my viewpoint, although I exagerrated, as I said when I originally posted that. The main point Iw anted to make is that not reviewing because of writing time constraints is a poor excuse. Just like if you do not work your bloody socks off, you do not belong in given soccer team. Something coaches say all the time. They exaggerate, but people are expected to derive their meanings. I am no great coach, but I do not assume you are a great soccer player either.

From what you're saying, I take it your view isn't that far from my own?

No, except that I want to improve things, and I think that people SHOULD attempt to do the same, instead of half-baked excuses, it seems at times. Anyone who can spend 10 hours on a fic can spend fifteen minutes on a review, so that is a pretty poor excuse. Don't want to review, then don't. Just don't say something like that. Does not sit down well with the authors who need reviews. In a nutshell, I hope people change, but you seem to believe in status quo. We are different enough already.

indigestible_wad

Elemental Charizam said:
I wasn't actually talking about myself; I do review people who review me, and lots that don't as well :p Anyway, I think you might be getting what i was saying mixed up with somebody else. All I was saying is that some people only have the time to write (and I'm talking specifically about enjoyed authors here) and that as people are asking them to write, then they should write, even if they can't review their reviewers and other people themselves
Oh no, I was trying to reply to GoGoTenda's post. I guess I did get mixed up.

P

pisces_beedrill

*shakes head* If only that were true. It would make searching for good 'fics a lot easier. Fact is, people have different styles about how they go about getting reviews. People without connections, let's face it, tend to get bumped from the front page pretty quickly. There are those who don't have the time on the internet to establish a community of people willing to read and review their 'fic, or do not choose to, as GoGoTenda mentioned. Like it or not, general popularity with other members of the forum influences your review count.

that is very true. when you have no connections, or your new, your fic begins to die

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
Not really; Scrap's fic had a great deal of reviewers right away because it was avery good fic. Still, you will usually get (a lot) less reviews if you are unknown, because people don't know at a glance wether they'll enjoy the fic. In that respect, larger communities like FF.net may be better, because people are less likely to know who is good or not anyway, and have an equal chance of looking at a newer authors FF as they do of looking at a more established authors work. Provided the description and title are as catching, anyway...

Personally, I think it's a blend of luck and skill that makes some fics instantly loved and others banished to the cursed second page.

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
I like to post my fics here and in my forums (breloom woods) Because I'm used to this place and in breloom woods everybody reviews my fic because they feel they should because I'm thier admin. But reviewing my fics won't make me turn them into mods, they wish! ;)

M

mindripper

In my first truly on topic post, I do think that this place is a mixed bucket. I think it is sometimes hit and miss, as in certain factors beyond one's control can lead to success or failure independantly of author's own abilities. That said, there is a great chance that everyone gets reviews at least, although perhaps not the kind we all want at times. This is a good place to post, probably as good as anywhere else for Pokemon fiction, but it is not the be all end all of fiction, just a good place with its pros and cons.

I would also like to extend an apology for seeming to greatly digress at times from the topic. What Zerodius meant I do understand, and further discussing that would merely lead to a larger debate. To Charizam, I just wanted to partially apologise if some of my words were taken to be a personal insult to you, as I did feel that I had perhaps overstepped the line at times upon re-reading what I wrote. I did mean what I say, even though that is another story for another time. What I mean is that even though I may disagree with your thoughts, and try to do justice to myself in any discussion, I do realise the mistake made by insulting a person personally. I hope that you accepted the relevant points instead of focusing on the slanging match which we often are involved in. Also, whether you may or may not have believed me then, your review is forthcoming as and when you post. I certainly do not apologise because I am embarking on some popularity campaign (which I despise, btw), but simply because it is within myself to do so. In a nutshell, I should not have said several things, and I admit it. End of story, so to quote myself.